Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, looks like I'm skipping WitW.

Why's that - just the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

Ah well, only a few more hours until I can post the first day of WITP Day By Day, Imperial Edition!

Please tell me you aren't joking, Grey Hunter-san. :ohdear:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I do think there are ways to make an interesting and playable Western Front WW2 game (I mean, of course), it's just not there with WITW's scale and IGOUGO mechanics.

Something with smaller scale is obvious to let you really fight out D-Day, Falaise Pocket, Wacht am Rhein where it matters, but take Piercing Fortress Europa, for example. I don't even own it yet, but just by reading the manual and following along on an AAR I could tell that that's a game where logistics matters, but the design is deliberately crafted around logistics and there's enough abstraction at play so that everything you need to know about your supply status is printed right there on the unit chits themselves, and managing supplies is as straight-forward as "yes, prioritize this unit" and you just don't have enough "yes, prioritize this unit" commands to go around.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure they didn't do a single 1939-1940 to 1945 Western Front game because the engine can't handle long interminable periods where you're just dicking around, nor can it probably handle the transitions in equipment, doctrine, etc. very well without some really hard-coded rules. It's why Fall of France + Sealion + North Africa is going to be a separate game altogether.

I'd love to see a War In the West game done with PFE's mechanics. It's a neat little game and does most of what WitW does, in my opinion, with a lot less overhead. The supply system works really well while being a lot less tedious. While you always look to put supply on units yourself, the amount of hexes the supplies need to go to increase a unit's supply level is baked into the cost of supplying a unit, thus giving you a reason to, say, pull units off the line when you want to build them up. Another thing I like is that armored units aren't inherently better than infantry, but they benefit a lot more from high levels of supply.

The air and amphibious systems are a lot more abstract but PFE is a focused game and I think i prefer focused games to "do it all" type games.

And yeah, a West 1939-1945 game would require a lot more hacky mechanics like in WitE where they really juke the game rules to make each year work. For a game that purports to be so detailed, it has a lot of mechanics to try to force historical results.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gort posted:

Why's that - just the price?

That and the scale - fighting over five hexes of Normandy beaches doesn't do it for me - I'd much rather wait until the Africa game or even the entire Europe game. I also feel like the timescale is a little constrained.

Drone posted:

Please tell me you aren't joking, Grey Hunter-san. :ohdear:

I've got updates from the 6th (planning day) to the 12th already on my computer. I'm not going any further than that for the time being as I want peoples imput on things like research and ship builds.

But yeah, its happening.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

That and the scale - fighting over five hexes of Normandy beaches doesn't do it for me - I'd much rather wait until the Africa game or even the entire Europe game. I also feel like the timescale is a little constrained.

I've got updates from the 6th (planning day) to the 12th already on my computer. I'm not going any further than that for the time being as I want peoples imput on things like research and ship builds.

But yeah, its happening.

You've made my day. I've been wanting to see someone do the Japanese side for a long time (since steinrokkan got banned in the middle of invading Australia), and I missed out on participating in your first day-by-day.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grey Hunter posted:

But yeah, its happening.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

You've made my day. I've been wanting to see someone do the Japanese side for a long time (since steinrokkan got banned in the middle of invading Australia), and I missed out on participating in your first day-by-day.

I think steinrokkan's been unbanned. I don't know if he'll continue his LP though, it had gone quiet well before he was banned IIRC.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Almost an empty quote

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I shall be following that thread hard. There might even be bookmarks.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Yes!

Karachi or bust!

Perth might be acceptable too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Caconym posted:

Yes!

Karachi or bust!

Perth might be acceptable too.

Screw Perth, all the way to Sydney.

Edit: I'm already thinking about what lucky ship to reserve.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 5, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

Number of counters in War in the West - 11 billion

Number of counters in HOI4 - 11 billion and one

Hearts of Iron games use counters

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

But yeah, its happening.

I actually think you should go for 3 or 5 days turns this time because it changes the nature of the game significantly (you could still post updates day by day).

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hearts of Iron games use counters

4 won't.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I wouldn't use more than 2 day turns in WITP because of the speed ships can move. 3 Day turns means you can scoot in with a Carrier force, have a day of sorties and be out from detection before the other player can even respond. 2 Days has this issue also when you run a task force at full speed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Koesj posted:

4 won't.

When did they announce that? I don't remember seeing any of their Dev Diaries mention it. I really liked using counters too... :eng99:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When did they announce that? I don't remember seeing any of their Dev Diaries mention it. I really liked using counters too... :eng99:

Apparently using counters used more system resources than sprites, so that was part of their argument for nixing them :downs:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What restrictions are you going to place on yourself, Grey? I'm no WitP player, but I've heard of stuff like the Japanese fleet sticking around for days upon days at Pearl Harbour and inflicting massive losses on the US.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Apparently using counters used more system resources than sprites, so that was part of their argument for nixing them :downs:

How is that even possible! Also playing HOI without counters, urgh.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, unit models have counters under them, there just won't be a counters only mode.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Well, unit models have counters under them, there just won't be a counters only mode.

'Counters' as in a slightly enhanced version of the little unit boxes that CKII/EUIV have. Not 'counters' like HOI3 had.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pushing around sprites just feels awful in most games. Plus the HOI ones are consistently absolutely terrible.

I wonder how long till someone mods them back in.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fintilgin posted:

'Counters' as in a slightly enhanced version of the little unit boxes that CKII/EUIV have. Not 'counters' like HOI3 had.

But the HoI4 hybrid unit/counter system gives you exactly the same amount of information that HoI2/3-style counters did. I don't see the big issue people keep sperging out about :confused:

And this coming from someone who's used counters for like a decade in HoI games.

Edit: nevermind you all are right, I too love to see my counter stacks reach three hundred kilometers high and cover up neighboring provinces.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Sometimes we just want to pretend we are real generals as we make zooming noises while pushing our giant stacks of CAS around. MY IMMERSION :negative:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I much prefer the look HoI4 are going for over the previous games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gort posted:

I much prefer the look HoI4 are going for over the previous games.

As long as I know how powerful a unit is in some meaningful way then I don't mind too much how that information gets presented.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Saros posted:

Sometimes we just want to pretend we are real generals as we make zooming noises while pushing our giant stacks of CAS around. MY IMMERSION :negative:

I will only be satisfied when Paradox has the technology to represent your stack getting knocked over as you try to reach across it and arguments over which hex that one dude in the Black Sea came from.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Grey Hunter posted:

Ah well, only a few more hours until I can post the first day of WITP Day By Day, Imperial Edition!

gently caress. Yes.

I've been rereading your original mega LP in the LParchives, a few days at a time, for a month now, and it is immensely entertaining. It's also fun to compare it to my own, pitiful progress in my own campaign.

What's the gooncensus on Ultimate General? I've been playing it and I just find it's hard to tell what's going on. Brigades seem to retreat at the drop of a hat and attacks seem unwieldy and difficult.
Am I missing something or is the interface somehow worse than the original Sid Meier's Gettysburg, despite being all 3D and stuff?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

I will only be satisfied when Paradox has the technology to represent your stack getting knocked over as you try to reach across it and arguments over which hex that one dude in the Black Sea came from.

I go to click and drag my units, and the corner accidentally catches another and ends up randomly shifting all the units in a 4-hex circle.

Come on Paradox I need reality in my games.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
In that case they should add a counter-clipping minigame.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

What's the gooncensus on Ultimate General? I've been playing it and I just find it's hard to tell what's going on. Brigades seem to retreat at the drop of a hat and attacks seem unwieldy and difficult.
Am I missing something or is the interface somehow worse than the original Sid Meier's Gettysburg, despite being all 3D and stuff?

Very pretty, a decent entry point into grog games, maybe a bit too stripped down. UI isn't as functional as it needs to be.

I thought it was decent but its not the second coming of Sid Meier.

EDIT: Speaking of decent entry points into grog games, RPS did an article on that very topic today.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Paradox needs to make HoI5 a first person game. Instead of pushing counters around a map, you'd have to order AI bots to push them around for you. When Soviet tanksGerman bombers attack your capital, alarms need to go off and the room needs to shake.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dublish posted:

Paradox needs to make HoI5 a first person game. Instead of pushing counters around a map, you'd have to order AI bots to push them around for you. When Soviet tanksGerman bombers attack your capital, alarms need to go off and the room needs to shake.

I non ironically want to play a huge wargame/Paradox game on a virtual table/globe using an occulus rift.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Eagerly awaiting someone to port The Campaign For North Africa into Tabletop Simulator.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

1stGear posted:

Very pretty, a decent entry point into grog games, maybe a bit too stripped down. UI isn't as functional as it needs to be.

I thought it was decent but its not the second coming of Sid Meier.

Oh, good. I'm working on a review for ACG and I was worried I was the only one who was scratching my head at how unwieldy it can get.

dublish posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about HOI4, but one thing they REALLY need to work on is making critical new developments (like your capital is being bombed) jump out without bombarding you with those god damned pop ups.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

dublish posted:

I'd legit be interested in a first-person strategy game that tries to emphasize just how uncertain a thing command can be when all you can see and hear is a map and a radio report.

That said, it'd be hard as hell to design a fun game that is explicitly based around uncertain, second-hand information and where you don't get to view the actual battles being played out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

1stGear posted:

EDIT: Speaking of decent entry points into grog games, RPS did an article on that very topic today.

This got me to finally buy/try out Panzer Corps, and it's pretty great.

Soooo many DLCs though holy crap :stare:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

COOL CORN posted:

This got me to finally buy/try out Panzer Corps, and it's pretty great.

Soooo many DLCs though holy crap :stare:

You should see how many Crusader Kings II has.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Riso posted:

You should see how many Crusader Kings II has.

Oh I do see how many... and my credit card has seen how many... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Why? On sale you can get almost everything for ~$30. Most of it's optional poo poo too.