Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

gibbed posted:

Yup. And I can say that after 6 hours I've had no crashes, so problem "solved"... for now.

Hopefully they'll put a hotfix build out for Opera 12, but I have my doubts. :(
Apparently Opera didn't even have to do anything like that about POODLE for 12 because they can somehow disable it remotely. You know, except for the crashes you guys mentioned you were having I guess. :lol: For posterity's sake, this thread mentions crashing and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

They will deliver an update to change it, which will only touch default-config.ini.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hats off to any of you dudes still using 12. I finally switched to Chrome after using Opera for 10+ years. Anyone who holds out longer than I did is a true fan because I actually paid for Opera 8 and was still using it for all my mail, notes, contacts and passwords. It was a pain in the rear end to switch but its nice not having to use 2 different browsers because of site compatibility.

SkiingGiraffe
Feb 28, 2014
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Proxy add-on for Opera. Al the ones I have tried either don't have the ability to add rules or just don't work.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If anyone wants, a fix for Youtube comments (and maybe some other Google properties?) is changing the User Agent string to identify as Firefox.

You can also apply it only for specific domains
http://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/comments/2ivkg4/opera12versusyoutubehowtofix_broken/ (manually)
http://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/comments/2ltsrb/fixing_of_youtube_broken_comments_display_on/ (via GUI)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
why would you want to read youtube comments

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
I've been blocking youtube comments and ads for years with ExtendTube: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/extendtube/ for those of you still using 12.x. I didn't even know youtube was playing ads until I got a goddamn phone upgrade and couldn't downgrade the youtube client.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

lurksion posted:

If anyone wants, a fix for Youtube comments (and maybe some other Google properties?) is changing the User Agent string to identify as Firefox.

It fixes Google+ and (especially) Google Hangouts. Thank you for this

Joy Cox
Feb 14, 2012
Some time in the last week or two, Paypal stopped working with Opera 12, at least for me. I get the error "Some information you entered isn't right", even though all the information is correct. I've tried masking/identifying as IE and Firefox, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Joy Cox posted:

Some time in the last week or two, Paypal stopped working with Opera 12, at least for me. I get the error "Some information you entered isn't right", even though all the information is correct. I've tried masking/identifying as IE and Firefox, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?
Whenever I get this, wiping all cookies for PayPal usually helps.

Joy Cox
Feb 14, 2012
Already tried that, but it didn't help.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Did Opera 26 just change everyone's default search engine to Google and does it not let you change it to anything other than one from the default set of default search engines? Because I think it did that to me. What the gently caress Opera?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What the gently caress Opera?
I think we passed this point loooooong ago.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did Opera 26 just change everyone's default search engine to Google and does it not let you change it to anything other than one from the default set of default search engines? Because I think it did that to me. What the gently caress Opera?

I asked, and "no" - they didn't intentionally reset anyone's search engines. They might well have a short and limited list of search engines, though; I don't actually use Opera (to the mild annoyance of the opera employee boyfriend).
Also, search engine update. They're changing the default search engine (to duckDuckGo) as of next release ... though I hope they'll leave existing profiles alone. :D

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I don't actually use Opera (to the mild annoyance of the opera employee boyfriend).
Does he actually think anyone benefits in any way from using Chromera over any other browser? Or is he annoyed you're not using Opera 12? That would at least make some sort of sense.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

Does he actually think anyone benefits in any way from using Chromera over any other browser? Or is he annoyed you're not using Opera 12? That would at least make some sort of sense.

He thinks it's about as good as FF or chrome, so it's kind of "drive a Ford if your husband works for them".
That said, it's less invasive than Chrome and their "send everything to google", and has faster JS and arguably better debug tools than FF.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I guess one has to maintain sanity somehow when working for a company that veered as sharply as Opera ASA did.

The "invasiveness" bit is a decent point though i guess. I really don't know much about what makes Chrome invasive, but "slightly better than stock chromium" is still slightly better.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

I guess one has to maintain sanity somehow when working for a company that veered as sharply as Opera ASA did.

The "invasiveness" bit is a decent point though i guess. I really don't know much about what makes Chrome invasive, but "slightly better than stock chromium" is still slightly better.

In a way, they didn't - they changed one of several browsers, made by one of several departments in the company. But yes.
(And note I compared to chrome, not chromium. Not that I have any idea how good/bad chromium is compared to chrome. )

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 7, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

In a way, they didn't - they changed one of several browsers, made by one of several departments in the company. But yes. (And note I compared to chrome, not chromium. :D )
Even on mobiles they veered sharply. I still keep my Nokia E6-00 around because on it Opera Mobile works *extremely* well with the physical keyboard, allowing faster and more efficient mobile browsing than any other browser on android. The new mobile opera? Just another skinned chrome.

The veer i'm talking about is that they started out as a company that was trying to innovate in technology, and nowadays they are extremely intent on getting money out of their existing contracts while minimizing any expenditure.

As for chromium/chromera/chrome, i didn't make myself entirely clear. What i meant is: Chromium is already a package that is better than chrome in terms of "my privacy!", and Chromera is ever-so-slightly more featured than Chromium, so it actually provides some value that makes it worth considering it over Chromium.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, that way. Yeah, they did kind of turn to the MBA side a few years ago...

On the mobile side, there's still Mini as well as Mobile; it's still the same mad "server-side rendering sent as an image with javascript handled by magic" as always. They changed to WebP from jpeg2000, and I think parts of the server code is webkit now, but AFAIK they have messed much less with mini?
Fair point about Mobile changing, though.

And yes, I see what you mean vs chromium now. :)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Just as an observer, this is a nice and informative discussion. Thanks!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Ah, that way. Yeah, they did kind of turn to the MBA side a few years ago...
Thanks, you put that much more ... politely than i could. :haw:

Computer viking posted:

On the mobile side, there's still Mini as well as Mobile; it's still the same mad "server-side rendering sent as an image with javascript handled by magic" as always. They changed to WebP from jpeg2000, and I think parts of the server code is webkit now, but AFAIK they have messed much less with mini?
You're right to remind me of that. Their turbo is still awesome magic if you need it. (I just haven't needed it in many years, due to mainly staying my home country and having 4G most of the time.) Now that you have reminded me of it, i think it is the main reason they can still operate as a company at this point, with Chrome on android having taken the top spot of "good enough browser".

Computer viking posted:

Fair point about Mobile changing, though.
At least they kept the Classic variant around! :)

Computer viking posted:

And yes, I see what you mean vs chromium now. :)
Thanks for confirming that i didn't put that too awkwardly. :v:

Ape Agitator posted:

Just as an observer, this is a nice and informative discussion. Thanks!
I'm slowly getting to the point where i can discuss Opera without getting too angry.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, their main income for a while now has been their ad network (which I believe started as "we have some spare capacity in the Opera mini cluster..."). I can take a look later, it's in their public earnings report.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

IIRC, their main income for a while now has been their ad network (which I believe started as "we have some spare capacity in the Opera mini cluster..."). I can take a look later, it's in their public earnings report.
I'm curious about that, what *is* their ad network? What is the channel they push their ads on? I hear about it from time to time, but unlike google ads, i'm not aware of ever seeing opera ads.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

I'm curious about that, what *is* their ad network? What is the channel they push their ads on? I hear about it from time to time, but unlike google ads, i'm not aware of ever seeing opera ads.

I think it's mostly "mobile ads", whatever that entails - I guess they host the ads for android games and the like?

edit: http://operamediaworks.com/advertisers.html
Looks like it's that, but also ads for the mobile versions of websites, and probably a number of more specific things I'm not thinking about.

e2: http://www.operasoftware.com/content/download/5839/209130/version/2/file/3Q14.pdf is the latest quarterly report. The income shares by category are on page 4.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 8, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Looks like they run an alternative system to google ads called AdMarvel, which is used by ~17k sites/apps. And from the top news entry it seems like they partner with ISPs directly to deliver ads, which doesn't happen a lot in europe, explaining why i've never seen it.

Edit: drat, that growth from 30 mill ad revenue to 82 mill is massive.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kind of makes sense. One of the other things they do to earn money is partnering with mobile providers, with plans like "if you use this branded opera mini that saves us data traffic and goes through our servers, it doesn't count towards your data cap" - going from there to ISP-partnered ads doesn't seem like an immense leap.

And yeah, they're making money faster than they can spend it. (Thus the new large headquarters. Shame they went for an open office plan that's driving everyone except HR and marketing nuts.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

open office plan
It's quite fascinating how they're making more money than they know what to do with, while simultaneously committing suicide as a technology company. No matter where their future goes, it's gonna be interesting though. :D

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Whatever recent changes Lowtax made to the forums seem to have finally broken them for me in Opera. The fonts are all hideous and now I'm getting this every time I scroll:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

killhamster posted:

Whatever recent changes Lowtax made to the forums seem to have finally broken them for me in Opera. The fonts are all hideous and now I'm getting this every time I scroll:

Same here. I'm currently using Firefox as a workaround and hating it. :negative:

I really really really hope somebody can fix this so I can go back to Opera 12. :pray:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Worse still, I plugged my headphones in the other day and it crashed Opera

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I only started getting corruption in O12 today - where it seems like something in the new forums is causing weird image-sticking/bleedthrough. I can't seem to reliably trigger it, but I'm definitely getting the same issues. There's likely some sort of UserJS fix that can be applied.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Try deleting your cache and vps directories while Opera is off. Also maybe use the info side panel and the url blocker to get rid of whatever useless javascripts SA might be loading. I'm seeing neither of these issues on windows, so if you're on windows too chances are good that any of these steps will fix it.

Edit:

Here's the only 3 scripts i allow:

http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.2/jquery-ui.min.js
http://forums.somethingawful.com/js/vb/forums.combined.js?1416681465

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sometimes my font cache gets a bit confused:

This greatly enhances my forum reading experiences, yet sadly i haven't figured out how to perfectly replicate the behavior with userjs.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, now it's happening to me too. The entire forum now uses one of these amateur linux fonts which are meant to be ~pretty~ but lack font hinting, so it looks like utter arse without gauss blurring.

And when i'm at the bottom of the page and switch between tabs, the background of the forums page (not the posts) will show the tab i switched in from.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Weird, I'm not seeing any problems. Unless it got fixed in the last three hours.

e: ok I reloaded and the fonts suck now. Images can be a little wonky sometimes but scrolling away and back seems to fix it.

e: YOSPOS is worse than other forums. Don't read YOSPOS I guess RESOLVED WONTFIX :v:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 13, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

the fonts suck now
Tbh, i've been wanting to make a UserJS to block lovely amateur fonts anyhow.

More interesting would be however to find out what they did to the CSS to break rendering. Is there some kind of SA ChangeLog thread?

spoon0042 posted:

Don't read YOSPOS I guess RESOLVED WONTFIX :v:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

spoon0042 posted:

the fonts suck now.

In all fairness, the fonts appear to suck in every browser.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mithaldu posted:

Tbh, i've been wanting to make a UserJS to block lovely amateur fonts anyhow.

More interesting would be however to find out what they did to the CSS to break rendering. Is there some kind of SA ChangeLog thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/CHANGES

Post Here If You Noticed Something Different About The Forums!! HOLY poo poo!

The Technical Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

killhamster posted:

I don't think I'm seeing this any more this morning. Or maybe I've just gotten lucky with my page loads. :shrug:

Edit: nope, it's back. :smith:

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 14, 2014