Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the part about France being unstoppable that bothers me the most is that they were exceptionally internally stable during the early part of the period.

Of course, I still wish EUIV worked more like CK2 in terms of RPG-element for your leader. :/

I would pay full DLC price for the opportunity to asssasinate leaders. "Oh, look, my rival mega-Lithuania just got my dynasty. Where's my stabbing knife?" It's the best part of CKII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can Western nations have Indian countries as vassals? I thought you could only make them protectorates...

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

sloshmonger posted:

I would pay full DLC price for the opportunity to asssasinate leaders. "Oh, look, my rival mega-Lithuania just got my dynasty. Where's my stabbing knife?" It's the best part of CKII.

If the espionage idea group gave you the ability to assassinate leaders I'd probably take it every single game.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Quotetype posted:

If the espionage idea group gave you the ability to assassinate leaders I'd probably take it every single game.

Provided you could assassinate your own rulers too.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TaurusTorus posted:

Ah yes, the Praetorian Guard tradition.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bort Bortles posted:

Can Western nations have Indian countries as vassals? I thought you could only make them protectorates...

Should only be available as protectorates yeah, unless they've westernised (of course). You can keep Indian tech group vassals if you were in the Muslim/Indian/whatever group when you westernise, but can't get any more. Are you seeing it happen in your game or something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

Should only be available as protectorates yeah, unless they've westernised (of course). You can keep Indian tech group vassals if you were in the Muslim/Indian/whatever group when you westernise, but can't get any more.

As Portugal I just militarily annexed an Indian country. Their vassal is now my vassal :getin: Vassal Feeding in India as Portugal BOOYAH.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, has anybody else noticed that the AI will now simply replace lost manpower with mercenaries if it can afford to? The AI seems to be able to raise massive mercenary armies at the drop of a hat now. You literally have to run around the country killing building mercenaries as quick as you can, else an enormous merc army appear.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

A White Guy posted:

So, has anybody else noticed that the AI will now simply replace lost manpower with mercenaries if it can afford to? The AI seems to be able to raise massive mercenary armies at the drop of a hat now. You literally have to run around the country killing building mercenaries as quick as you can, else an enormous merc army appear.

I seem to have to do that myself in a butt stomp between the Commonwealth and France as an HRE member. Replacing the front line with mercenaries after every battle seems the only way I can keep up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TaurusTorus posted:

I'd love to see this added, but with a -3 stability hit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PittTheElder posted:

I'd love to see this added, but with a -3 stability hit.

Glorious Revolution

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jabronie posted:

I seem to have to do that myself in a butt stomp between the Commonwealth and France as an HRE member. Replacing the front line with mercenaries after every battle seems the only way I can keep up.

I like the "build all mercenaries" button but I'd like a sub-set of that: build all mercenary infantry.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What on earth is up with some of Japan's events and decisions? I guess since I'm not a Daimyo I can't just say hello to Catholicism, but the law that prevents that staggering -7% to missionary strength is broken. I know I could fix it in the event files, but instead I decided to see if I couldn't spur conversion. So I moved my capitol to a province with high unrest, did everything I could to raise the unrest level, and finally provoked some catholic zealots. They occupied my cap, got all the way to 100%, enforced their demands... which apparently didn't involve converting my country after all.

That and all the weird flavor events. Did Paradox just port the whole island over from EU3 and forget about it? And what can I do to make my country Catholic? I'm not above editing the save files, but even when I tried that I couldn't seem to actually get the religion to change.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf
Religious rebels enforcing their demands is the same as accepting them with regards to state religion, you need to have more catholic provinces than shinto. You could babysit some catholic zealots and get them to siege a bunch of provinces, which converts them, and when more than half are catholic accept their demands.

I did a Qing game and got bored after finishing off Ming so I tried to convert my country with a single 1 base tax Sunni province. I managed to get religious unity below 50% (it was 62% with a policy to increase unity by 20%) with 150ish provinces and 700ish base tax after 100ish years of following them around and having 30 3 stacks set to suppress rebels and unsiege stuff. But I think religious unity is based on base tax, and being able to accept/have rebels enforce their demands is based on province count, so I guess I had too many garbage Siberian provinces. Rebels will consistently move back into provinces of their religion, and form groups of 3 or 4 on a single province, and you will get mad and its like herding cats and I hate them.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have some wierd rebel problem. I was at war with Poland, and during the war they got some ridicolous rebel stack on top of one of the provinces I had sieged from them. Polish Noble Rebels. In my own lands I don't even have any polish provinces, they belong to my march Krakow. If they were my rebels I got no notification that they were going to rise up. And my country was super stable, not even close to any rebel problems. I guess it was Polands high war exhaustion that got them agitated, however it seemed to use my force limit as the stacks were ridicolous. One of 92 regiments and one of 32.

Then I just avoided them and ended the war.

After the war the game seems to think the rebels are mine and they are close to enforcing their demands even though they are sieging a different country, Poland.

This must be bug?

http://imgur.com/Buk37lt

Edit note: How do you get imgur links to show up as a clickable preview and not a gigantic image?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, my Poland game is going pretty well. Finally weathered through the bit where I was dealing with having just one Diplomat because of the loving Sejm, and also managed to form the Commonwealth. I took, released and integrated the two Ruthenian provinces from Hungary and in my last war I had them release Transylvania, which I summarily vassalized. Pskov also broke out of Muscovy after Muscowy took a beating in a war against Denmark. They're now also under my protection.

A couple of questions: since I now have Transylvania as a vassal, would the best strategy going forward with them be taking one Hungarian province at a time, feeding it to Transylvania and then annexing them once all of Hungary is my vassal Transylvania?

Secondly, I've yet to deal with the Livonian Order, what would the best way to go about that be? Should I just fabricate claims on their provinces, take them all in a war (not sure if this will be possible in a single war) and after conquering them releasing them as a vassal? My reasoning for this is that if I try to vassalize them as part of a war they'll take a really big opinion hit towards me which means it'll take a really long time for me to boost my relations with them to the point where I can integrate.

Also, I find it really ironic that Lithuanian isn't an accepted culture in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Hryme posted:

I have some wierd rebel problem. I was at war with Poland, and during the war they got some ridicolous rebel stack on top of one of the provinces I had sieged from them. Polish Noble Rebels. In my own lands I don't even have any polish provinces, they belong to my march Krakow. If they were my rebels I got no notification that they were going to rise up. And my country was super stable, not even close to any rebel problems. I guess it was Polands high war exhaustion that got them agitated, however it seemed to use my force limit as the stacks were ridicolous. One of 92 regiments and one of 32.

Then I just avoided them and ended the war.

After the war the game seems to think the rebels are mine and they are close to enforcing their demands even though they are sieging a different country, Poland.

This must be bug?

http://imgur.com/Buk37lt

Edit note: How do you get imgur links to show up as a clickable preview and not a gigantic image?

1) You got suuuper unlucky: it looks like they got the Royal Struggle/pacifying the Sejm event, which has nothing to do with your force limit but actually spawns that many noble rebels for Poland regardless. It fires very shortly after 1600 and you just happened to be occupying them at the time. There is definitely some bugginess wrt rebels that spawn in territory you temporarily occupy, no idea if it's getting fixed for 1.9 but I hope so.

2) Click the image on the imgur page to get the direct link, then put it in a [timg] tag here, like so:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dibujante posted:

I like the "build all mercenaries" button but I'd like a sub-set of that: build all mercenary infantry.

Does anyone ever build anything but the mercenary infantry? Perhaps we need a balance pass on mercenary cavalry and artillery - at the moment they're too expensive to be useful.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Gort posted:

Does anyone ever build anything but the mercenary infantry? Perhaps we need a balance pass on mercenary cavalry and artillery - at the moment they're too expensive to be useful.

There's a point rather early in the game where mercenary artillery is pretty good for non-western nations, otherwise agreed.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Gort posted:

I sometimes build all if I'm out of manpower and losing or I need a temporary army on a secondary front

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Allyn posted:

1) You got suuuper unlucky: it looks like they got the Royal Struggle/pacifying the Sejm event, which has nothing to do with your force limit but actually spawns that many noble rebels for Poland regardless. It fires very shortly after 1600 and you just happened to be occupying them at the time. There is definitely some bugginess wrt rebels that spawn in territory you temporarily occupy, no idea if it's getting fixed for 1.9 but I hope so.

2) Click the image on the imgur page to get the direct link, then put it in a [timg] tag here, like so:

I decided to just play on, as 20 more autonomy in every province would not be the end of the game. Only 20 years until it is gone even if I am at war. I was vary because it is an ironman game.

Nothing happened, the warning just disappeared. I guess Poland accepted the demands as the rebels are gone from their lands too. Just a display bug then, at least in this case.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sometimes my mercenaries don't reinforce after wars and I have to disband + rebuild them. Anyone know what is up with that?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Awesome stuff from the 1.9 patch notes

quote:

- Trade fleets in the same node and on the same mission from the same country will now automatically merge. If either fleet is set to go home at war the merged fleet will also have this setting.
- You can now play as released vassals in Ironman.

Here's the rest of the released notes.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 5, 2014

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Note that these are just the free features part of the notes, not the entire changelog.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

Note that these are just the free features part of the notes, not the entire changelog.

wait is there another dlc coming?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

wait is there another dlc coming?

Not with 1.9.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Wiz posted:

Not with 1.9.

The non-free features will require AoW then, presumably? Also is the list of disasters there complete? Would've thought Time of Troubles and maybe Poland's Royal Struggle would fall under that. Sounds great that we finally get an in-game UI showing us both what triggers it and what triggers the ending. Some very necessary transparency :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Allyn posted:

The non-free features will require AoW then, presumably?

I believe the point is less "there are free features and non-free features, the latter not being listed" but more "there are free features and bugfixes, the latter not being listed".

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Can we get a list of the various types of disasters, as well as their requirements and expedients? Or will we have to wait for the patch itself for that information?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

My suggestion is that mercenary cavalry/artillery be one tech tier ahead of the current country's best unit type. This would also mean that you could hire mercenary artillery before you could build it yourself (Ottomans).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Allyn posted:

The non-free features will require AoW then, presumably? Also is the list of disasters there complete? Would've thought Time of Troubles and maybe Poland's Royal Struggle would fall under that. Sounds great that we finally get an in-game UI showing us both what triggers it and what triggers the ending. Some very necessary transparency :)

There are no non free features in 1.9.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PARADOOOOOOOX

1. Flanders' king dies, causing a succession war between Austria and Saxony. Austria is my ally and tries to call me in. Me being the greedy player that I am decide to use my claim on antwerp to declare my own war on flanders. Easily said and done. Carpet-sieged flanders and saxony, made a force-vassalization of cologne in the process and forcevassalized flanders.

Here is flanders as my vassal, on the 10th of august.

Hey, what's going on in Saxony. Huh, the succession war is still going on despite flanders now being my vassal. That's weird, Saxony have the same king as my vassal. Ah well, there have been weirder things, I'm sure it's nothing.

What's that? You're wondering what this cost me? Just a bit of aggressive expansion, is all...

I don't even get a "restore vassal" CB on austria. well gently caress you too game.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or exploit. I'm still working through my first AoW game as Brandenburg->Prussia. I'm protestant. In preparation for the league wars, I knocked around Austria (with Burgundian lands) and forced them to release Styria, which allowed the electors to vote in the Palatinate as emperor. By the time the leagues actually formed though, I was at war with the Palatinate (I think they got dragged into my war against Poland), so I couldn't join the league, and the league war started while i was still at war. I vassalized the Palatinate in my war, and got made war leader for the Catholic league as a consequence. So immediately I wanted to concede and make protestant the official religion. Unfortunately, the league war modifier to peace deals meant I had to win some battles first. Still, the war was quick, easy, and protestants won.

Catholics came back very quickly though, and the second round league war was a slog that I really didn't think we would win. It didn't end until we drained France's manpower with force march and stack wipes, then conquered all of France, Austria, mega-Savoy, and Poland (and we never got 80% of battles won for ticking war score). It was a lot of fun, but I'm very glad that I didn't have to do that twice and got to cheese the first war.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Why do my colonial nations have a constant +0.02 to liberty desire "due to Situation in The Hansa" (I'm playing the Hansa)? What situation? Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do about that either, as lowering tariffs is quite expensive and a temporary solution anyway. My first colony is already at 36% liberty desire despite not once having their tariffs raised.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

double nine posted:

PARADOOOOOOOX

I want this combination as a smiley.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Star posted:

I want this combination as a smiley.

I can tell you it's surprisingly difficult to find a good gif of that scene without text.

Wiz, there clearly is an issue with that particular set of circumstances. I probably should have gotten called into war against Austria when I made peace, but wasn't because they're my ally?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Apoffys posted:

Why do my colonial nations have a constant +0.02 to liberty desire "due to Situation in The Hansa" (I'm playing the Hansa)? What situation? Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do about that either, as lowering tariffs is quite expensive and a temporary solution anyway. My first colony is already at 36% liberty desire despite not once having their tariffs raised.

Is it war exhaustion? Do they have a large army compared to you?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sheep posted:

Awesome stuff from the 1.9 patch notes

Here's the rest of the released notes.

Woo ideas for Canada and Quebec but still no unique ideas for Morocco, Tunis, or any other North African state.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bort Bortles posted:

Woo ideas for Canada and Quebec but still no unique ideas for Morocco, Tunis, or any other North African state.

"drat you free content for not being the exact free content that I wanted!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

"drat you free content for not being the exact free content that I wanted!"

Pretty much! I was just hoping for ideas for them because I'd like to play as one after all the changes to Africa in AoW but I find the Berber ideas really underwhelming :shobon:

edit: and I am terrible at trying to mod things

• Locked thread