Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

It's explained since your post but it bears emphasis: Post Convention Bump is a really well known and consistent phenomenon, and an old one. The exact same thing happened with the Ferraro announcement, there was a significant post convention bounce from the DNC and Ferraro buzz that brought the Mondale ticket tied or even slightly in the lead in some polls but was a transient phenomenon and not a true reflection of the state of the race.
The obvious thing to do is to have the convention one week before the general election. Put that transient bounce to real use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

g0del posted:

The obvious thing to do is to have the convention one week before the general election. Put that transient bounce to real use.

They probably would, except that campaign finance rules mean you might run out of money because you can only spend primary money until the convention.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

They probably would, except that campaign finance rules mean you might run out of money because you can only spend primary money until the convention.

have two conventions

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

have two conventions

Vince McMahon presents: XDNC

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A big part of the convention bump is that the opposition goes dark that week since it knows that it can't compete on media. That's why the numbers re-align once the convention is over: the other candidate comes back and provides a contrast. Moving the dates of the conventions around won't do much unless they both decide to hold the convention at the same time.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't think Sanders' goal is to win, it's to see what he can do to drive the winner to the left.

Obviously that might affect the race for the nomination but isn't there some kind (at least partial) reset before the general election, where nominees distance themselves from their core supporters to appeal to the undecided centre ground? So how much the left-wing garnish on Hilary's campaign will be left by the time the general election takes place? Not much I suspect.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

How is the answer to this anything but Lyndon Johnson?

With the amount of women he got into bed? He's got to have something going for him. The job and Jumbo wouldn't account for all of them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

Would Christie be the fattest President since William Howard Taft?

And who is the ugliest President so far?

Abraham Lincoln, by his own admission. Sources say that he had a kind of animated craggy charisma despite that, though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jazerus posted:

Abraham Lincoln, by his own admission. Sources say that he had a kind of animated craggy charisma despite that, though.

Lincoln had one hell of a high-pitch voice.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jazerus posted:

Lincoln overcame his awkward boobery largely by his ability to be really charming and personable, in particularly by having an uncanny instinct about how to craft folksy anecdotes specific to whomever he was trying to win over and/or confound.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

Lincoln had one hell of a high-pitch voice.

Supposedly Spielberg & DDL got it fairly accurate from what historians have found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREttlxHBjg

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hahaha ol' dubya gave an interview to Crowley and said Hilary was like a sister-in-law to him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Potential 2016 rivals met tonight (with Ned Lamont looking on).

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahaha ol' dubya gave an interview to Crowley and said Hilary was like a sister-in-law to him.

Link us up!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Here you go:

quote:

But when asked whether his brother, former Florida Republican Gov. Jeb Bush, could run against his sister-in-law, the 43rd president said: "Yeah, and I think he'd beat her."

Bush said there's no question Clinton is formidable, but his brother is, as well.
I forgot how much I missed Dubya speaking :allears:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Given how low-profile he is it's kind of weird to hear about him.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
That was really... weird.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Potential 2016 rivals met tonight (with Ned Lamont looking on).

admit it, you think Clinton would pick Sanders just like Clinton 1 wound up with Gore

You realize it'll give us 8 years of Bush after, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

admit it, you think Clinton would pick Sanders just like Clinton 1 wound up with Gore

You realize it'll give us 8 years of Bush after, right?

I'll play along, even though you're not being serious.

1. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter at all in terms of votes received in the general election.

2. Clinton is going to pick a boring white guy like Mark Warner as her running mate. If she was going to pick a VT politician, she'd be about a million times more likely to pick Howard Dean than Bernie Sanders and she's not going to pick Howard Dean (though it would not be a bad choice for her).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

1. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter at all in terms of votes received in the general election.

2. Clinton is going to pick a boring white guy like Mark Warner as her running mate. If she was going to pick a VT politician, she'd be about a million times more likely to pick Howard Dean than Bernie Sanders and she's not going to pick Howard Dean (though it would not be a bad choice for her).

1. Veep pick is about money. If enough folks are trying to goad Clinton into picking Warren, she may see the value in a symbolic, white-bread progressive pick.

2. I'm not sure about Warner. She's not going to pick anyone who'd get more of a spotlight than her, nor will she pick a woman. I can't see what donors Warner would bring that Clinton can't already get.

Frankly, Clinton has a Hollywood problem and needs someone with bi-coastal appeal. Someone who either has their own network, or someone who she can put in front of LA and rake in their cash while she focuses on her traditional monetary base. Or so I expect the logic of her next campaign director to go.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah yes, the calculated Clinton move to tap Big Money Warren for that sweet campaign cash

I agree that Clinton's VP will be from the lower Midwest or from west of I-35, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Veep pick is about money. If enough folks are trying to goad Clinton into picking Warren, she may see the value in a symbolic, white-bread progressive pick.

2. I'm not sure about Warner. She's not going to pick anyone who'd get more of a spotlight than her, nor will she pick a woman. I can't see what donors Warner would bring that Clinton can't already get.

Frankly, Clinton has a Hollywood problem and needs someone with bi-coastal appeal. Someone who either has their own network, or someone who she can put in front of LA and rake in their cash while she focuses on her traditional monetary base. Or so I expect the logic of her next campaign director to go.

Veep pick was about money for Romney in 2012. Not really about money for any one else. Mostly about covering perceived deficiencies, whether it be experience, gravitas, regional, melanin, or chromosonal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Not that it matters a bit, but isn't Dean likely on the Clinton blacklist for his opposition to the DLC in 2004 and his backing of Obama early on in the 2008 primary?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not that it matters a bit, but isn't Dean likely on the Clinton blacklist for his opposition to the DLC in 2004 and his backing of Obama early on in the 2008 primary?

If the Clintons are going to keep holding a grudge against anyone who backed Obama in '08, that's going to be a mighty long shitlist. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that that is outside the realm of possibility, considering Mark Penn and all...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have every confidence the Clintons' lust for power will overcome any bad blood if Dean is even marginally useful. (See: State, secretary of)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I have every confidence the Clintons' lust for power will overcome any bad blood if Dean is even marginally useful. (See: State, secretary of)

I have a hard time deciding whether their lust for power is more potent than their capacity for grudge-holding/score-evening.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

richardfun posted:

If the Clintons are going to keep holding a grudge against anyone who backed Obama in '08, that's going to be a mighty long shitlist. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that that is outside the realm of possibility, considering Mark Penn and all...

The Clintons have an Excel file documenting everybody who wrong them in 2008, with the scale of their betrayal rated on a seven point scale. John Kerry and Ted Kennedy are 7s.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Clintons have an Excel file documenting everybody who wrong them in 2008, with the scale of their betrayal rated on a seven point scale. John Kerry and Ted Kennedy are 7s.

...and Christopher Hitchens is an 8.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

...and Bill Richardson is an 8.

Fixed that for you.

Still my favorite campaign photo of all time.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have a hard time deciding whether their lust for power is more potent than their capacity for grudge-holding/score-evening.

Which was being served when Bill Clinton gave the speech of 2012 in favor of Barack Obama?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Which was being served when Bill Clinton gave the speech of 2012 in favor of Barack Obama?

Doing what's expected of the 2016 candidate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

richardfun posted:

You're thinking about it wrong. The VP spot is incredibly valuable: you get national exposure and a massive boost to your own planned Presidential run. There's no way that the Clintons would give such a valuable spot to anyone who hasn't 'earned it' through their support for Hillary unless there was some massive need for someone else. The Clintons have held a great deal of power by having a "best possible friend, worst possible enemy" approach to loyalty. In a presidential race they can't afford to be vindictive - but they can reserve the greatest rewards for their most loyal friends. If it's time to pick and Clinton is in a hard-fought race and worried then sure, she'll look outside the collection of loyalists if there's someone who can give her what she views as a much-needed boost. But if she's in a spot like Obama in 2008 where she doesn't view the VP pick as something that needs to pay political dividends to get over the finish line, it's going to a loyalist.

Fulchrum posted:

That was a quid pro quo: Obama agreed to support Hillary in 2016 (he later got out of this in exchange for that horrible joint press conference when she quit). I think in 2010, it was noted that Clinton made tons of appearances at events for the people who supported Hillary and not a single appearance at someone's events who didn't.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
The next Democrat's VP slot will be worth only half of the usual bucket of warm piss.
Dems can win in 2016 and again in 2020, which is what we need to get a sane SCOTUS majority, but 2024 on top of all of those? Five in a row? I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

No party's held onto the White House for 20 uninterrupted years in a row since FDR-Truman, and before that, not since Jefferson-Madison-Monroe-Q.Adams. Voters like to hand the Oval Office over to the other party every 8 years or so just to make sure they still can. Even during eras of one-party dominance.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This is actually probably true, but nobody with Presidential ambitions is gonna decline the Vice Presidency because statistical historical analysis something something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nameless_Steve posted:

The next Democrat's VP slot will be worth only half of the usual bucket of warm piss.
Dems can win in 2016 and again in 2020, which is what we need to get a sane SCOTUS majority, but 2024 on top of all of those? Five in a row? I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

No party's held onto the White House for 20 uninterrupted years in a row since FDR-Truman, and before that, not since Jefferson-Madison-Monroe-Q.Adams. Voters like to hand the Oval Office over to the other party every 8 years or so just to make sure they still can. Even during eras of one-party dominance.

The Republicans had the Presidency for all but 8 out of 44 years in the Reconstruction era/Gilded Age. If you give Dubya as that 8, that's a thing that is arguably ongoing today.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
VP slot is a good launching point for Republicans, sure.

But when was the last time a Democratic VP was elected to a first term as POTUS? Just once: Martin Van Buren.
We've always preferred fresh faces, even before the right-wing smear machine started convincing their listeners that Democratic Presidents' names are swear words.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Our data set of elections is so small to make drawing trends out of it virtually useless. You can only get even a moderately sized sample by going back so far the data has no relationship to what is occurring today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nameless_Steve posted:

But when was the last time a Democratic VP was elected to a first term as POTUS? Just once: Martin Van Buren.
We've always preferred fresh faces, even before the right-wing smear machine started convincing their listeners that Democratic Presidents' names are swear words.

On the other hand, they have a pretty good track record of getting in after deaths in office and still being able to eke out a voted term.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nameless_Steve posted:

It only happened once for Republicans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

It only happened once for Republicans too.

Bush I, Nixon. That's off the top of my head, there may be more.

edit: Also whatever you think about 2000, Gore clearly had a better shot at getting the Presidency because he was the VP than otherwise.

• Locked thread