Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Yeah when I go to dig somehow a racquetball court is going to land on me and probably break my spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to see people dig. I don't care if they win or lose. I just want someone to actually do something. Getting arrested and getting a key are both good results because they are entertaining.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Waltzing Along posted:

I want to see people dig. I don't care if they win or lose. I just want someone to actually do something. Getting arrested and getting a key are both good results because they are entertaining.

That dude will pay for all your travel and legal expenses if you want to dig.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Xie's gonna dig. He's got the itch. He's gotta know. But it would be dumb to get your rear end tossed in jail without at least TRYING to go above board.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Plafop posted:

That dude will pay for all your travel and legal expenses if you want to dig.

Hooray!

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
it takes a real man's man to dig a small hole in a public place

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Xie's gonna dig. He's got the itch. He's gotta know. But it would be dumb to get your rear end tossed in jail without at least TRYING to go above board.

Semi-serious post: is there a way we can look up whether Preiss was ever arrested or fined in 1981-1982? I know times were different back them , but if he got a record it might be a good way to know where a cask is.

Edit: Xie, have you given any thought to wearing a construction worker costume? Seemed to work for preiss. This number might be your best bet at blending in http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Wishes...r+costume+adult

Or maybe just pay a homeless guy?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 5, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

I'd literally be there tomorrow at 7am if they gave me permission or it was legal. This would have happened if it were legal, I'm not afraid to dig or some goon who doesn't leave the house. I would prefer to do it all above board instead of cloak and dagger poo poo. IF I do dig illegally I can't post photos online or tell you guys where it was either, I'm not that dumb. And that sucks.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Semi-serious post: is there a way we can look up whether Preiss was ever arrested or fined in 1981-1982? I know times were different back them , but if he got a record it might be a good way to know where a cask is.

Edit: Xie, have you given any thought to wearing a municipal worker's vest or a hard hat? Seemed to work for preiss.

Yes, i posted before that i dont think it helps and probably hurts. impersonating someone won't go over well, and there is a huge construction project down the park by the actual hatch shell, so there are tons of properly adorned workers milling about and moving equipment around. Also even for small projects MA has a law where a police officer has to be standing by, so the absence of one is likely to draw more attention than not.

I've compiled some info for the DCR - the articles from Egbert's find and the Chicago find, as well as a source showing that the original casques themselves were valued at $500 in 1981, so they're not valueless. They asked for a picture of one of the casques too. I don't want to annoy them into saying no, but their silence isn't giving me confidence.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

I'd literally be there tomorrow at 7am if they gave me permission or it was legal. This would have happened if it were legal, I'm not afraid to dig or some goon who doesn't leave the house. I would prefer to do it all above board instead of cloak and dagger poo poo. IF I do dig illegally I can't post photos online or tell you guys where it was either, I'm not that dumb. And that sucks.

Yes, i posted before that i dont think it helps and probably hurts. impersonating someone won't go over well, and there is a huge construction project down the park by the actual hatch shell, so there are tons of properly adorned workers milling about and moving equipment around. Also even for small projects MA has a law where a police officer has to be standing by, so the absence of one is likely to draw more attention than not.

Okay. So you're going to need to steal a construction outfit from that work site. You're also going to need a policeman's uniform and a homeless guy who can stand.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
1) state employees do nothing in the month of December. They're either on vacation, getting ready to go on vacation, covering for people who are on vacation, or using up sick days before they lose them. Even if they're not blowing you off, you won't hear from them until you pester them in January.

2). You only need a police detail if you're working in the street. You don't need one for normal excavation. A 3x3 hole shouldn't require a municipal trench permit either. It does require a digsafe but there's not a chance they're granting you one on public property without authorization.

3). Are these guys for real with dressing up like a construction worker?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I think the idea is to look official so passers by don't sound the alarm. The old "hold a clipboard and walk with authority" social engineering trick. But nobody gives a poo poo about someone digging a hole, my only concern is legal. No jogger is going to stop and call the police because a clean and decently dressed white man is digging a hole.

edit: If the dig waits until the spring I promise to wear better shorts than Egbert did.

I just emailed the DCR the article from 1983: http://kspot.org/trove/ct_080983a.jpg, the article from 2004, and the pictures of the Casque from 2004.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

xie posted:

edit: If the dig waits until the spring

lmao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

I think the idea is to look official so passers by don't sound the alarm. The old "hold a clipboard and walk with authority" social engineering trick.

But nobody gives a poo poo about someone digging a hole, my only concern is legal. No jogger is going to stop and call the police because a clean and decently dressed white man is digging a hole.

edit: If the dig waits until the spring I promise to wear better shorts than Egbert did.

No but BPD will stop you in a heartbeat.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

No just dig, don't you get it. People on the internet demand it!!!

DigSafe is a non-negotiable $1,000 minimum fine for first offense.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If it's bothering you so much, why do you keep posting here? I don't get it

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Saint Fu posted:

If it's bothering you so much, why do you keep posting here? I don't get it

Because its entertaining to see you guys believing Xie who is obviously special needs.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Crowds gather at Boston Common and the State House last night protesting xie's decision to not dig

Police show up in buses to guard dig site

Urban Smurf found across the river triangulating ley lines underneath Harvard Square

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
Dude barely put the shovel in the ground and shatters his wrist.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

But that's not even true.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

No just dig, don't you get it. People on the internet demand it!!!

DigSafe is a non-negotiable $1,000 minimum fine for first offense.

I don't even think that's much of a concern unless you actually hit a utility line, like electric conduit coming from that box and going to the light pole, you know, the two things you're using to guide your dig. So maybe you should be concerned.

But I'd be more worried about about BPD assuming you're trying to bury an IED next to the jogging path and going anti-terrorist on you. Whether there's any merit to it or not it screws up the next 2 years of your life.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hire a homeless guy

One thing I've learned from this is that a great troll would be to bury some meth somewhere, then have a really abstract treasure map to it.

Do you think Preiss and his lookout had sex in these parks before burying the casks? I wonder about things like this a lot.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I don't even think that's much of a concern unless you actually hit a utility line, like electric conduit coming from that box and going to the light pole, you know, the two things you're using to guide your dig. So maybe you should be concerned.

But I'd be more worried about about BPD assuming you're trying to bury an IED next to the jogging path and going anti-terrorist on you. Whether there's any merit to it or not it screws up the next 2 years of your life.

Edit

No if I hit something without a DigSafe I'm totally 1000% hosed. The 1k fine is for getting caught without one, it's automatic. If you actually do damage its a huge fine and a criminal charge I believe.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 5, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmm yes here's a city government that flipped their loving wig over cartoon characters being posted around town, literally declared full on martial law after some mooks popped a pressure bomb at a marathon, and completely failed at a project named, you guessed it, The Big Dig. Let's just pretend that loving around with them is a safe, reasonable thing to do, and if you don't, I'm going to bang my tiny fists on my crib and cry about how old GBS you are. Ga ga goo goo, please get your life wrecked so I can read a post.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
Just try blasting instead like that other poster just suggested.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
Let's solve a 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt as soon as we get the proper permits and assuming we don't break our dumb weak gay hands!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

you keep saying i hurt myself digging but i actually hurt myself giving marathon handjobs at a local gloryhole in cambridge. please get it right.

also lmao at making fun of someone who isnt willing to break the law and wants to get a permit before digging on state land. seriously.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

xie posted:

you keep saying i hurt myself digging but i actually hurt myself giving marathon handjobs at a local gloryhole in cambridge. please get it right.

also lmao at making fun of someone who isnt willing to break the law and wants to get a permit before digging on state land. seriously.

You won't get a permit so shut up already. Just admit you will NEVER dig because you will never get a permit. Quit saying that you will in a day, a week, next spring all the other crap you write.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I never said I'll dig in a day or a week though. I'm not making promises and then not keeping them??? I've been completely transparent about it. I'm trying to get it done legally, I'm going to exhaust all legal options before anything else. If it spills into next spring (due to weather, I really wish you morons would stop pretending that's some sort of fake excuse) then so be it. You're the morons who can't just loving wait. It's been 32 years, nobody else is in a particular hurry. There are 9 other puzzles to discuss otherwise just chill out.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tony Homo posted:

You won't get a permit so shut up already. Just admit you will NEVER dig because you will never get a permit. Quit saying that you will in a day, a week, next spring all the other crap you write.

You sure do seem to care a lot.

Perhaps you should head to Boston and help xie out or leave it alone.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
Merge with Hellthread

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

Edit

No if I hit something without a DigSafe I'm totally 1000% hosed. The 1k fine is for getting caught without one, it's automatic. If you actually do damage its a huge fine and a criminal charge I believe.

I only do excavating for a living, so I'm not exactly an expert, but I've never heard of someone getting in trouble with Digsafe without hitting something. I think they advertize the fine to scare people off, but digsafe themselves aren't the government. I've also never met someone who's gone digging for buried treasure, so who knows.

I think the bigger issue is the misdemeanor vandalism and destruction of public property charges you'd be up against. You'd take a ride downtown for sure.

Have you reached out to the guy making that documentary about the Secret? If it were me (and that guy's legit), I'd get him involved to make some of these phone calls and document the dig. Massachusetts loving loves having movies made here. It legitimizes everything. Even if you hired a lovely production company to make the call, pass out business cards, etc... People love the idea that they're going to be a part of something that gets on TV.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I don't like that guy, personal preference. Also the documentary is done with filming I believe. I've reached out to him though.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-...ision/dig-safe/

This is my source:

quote:

If you excavate without calling Dig Safe, or violate any other provision of the Dig Safe Law, you may be fined by the Department of Public Utilities. Civil penalties under the Dig Safe Law are $1,000 for the first offense, and not less than $5,000, nor more than $10,000, for any subsequent offense within 12 consecutive months.

Massachusetts is the government. To me it seems like it's an automatic tack on if I get caught. I'm not afraid of DigSafe, I'm afraid of the MA law that requires digsafe and imposes and automatic fine.

xie fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I still don't see the police bringing you in on a digsafe violation. If you get fined it's going to be insult to injury on top of an actual criminal charge. (Which will cost a whole lot more than $1000)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

thats exactly what i said though. if i get caught it's an automatic tack on, just another reason why i dont want to do it illegally if i can help it. theres no chance they bring me in on a digsafe violation, but there's also no way i escape without it if i get caught.

if i was just afraid of digsafe but it was otherwise legal hell yeah i'd dig (even at the end of the day 1k isn't the end of the world) but we're looking at thousands in fines and legal fees.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I am posting from the esplanade right now

Xie can I sleep on your couch?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I used to hang out on the esplanade and drink late into the night/early morning without any issues so I am not sure what the heavy police presence is that you are complaining about. Have you checked it out in the early morning (3:00am)?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

I am even standing on the hatch you posted so dibs on the couch

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xie finally decides to dig. He uncovers chunks of plexiglass. Excited, he digs down further and accidentally severs a telephone line in the ground. But the line doesn't contain any wire...it's empty except for a rolled up piece of paper. Xie unrolls it. "Shouldn't have waited to dig, bitch. -Plafop" is printed on it. Stunned, Xie doesn't notice the police cruiser pulling up behind him. "Looks like thaht ananymous tip paid off. We got ourselves a wicked sick terrorast hyere!" exclaims one of the cops as he slaps handcuffs on to Xie and hustles him into the cruiser. Before the cruiser drives off, a guy with a jacket bearing the "Dig Safe" logo approaches the back rolled up window. He slaps a piece of paper with the words "1000 dollar fine" on the window. "How do ya like them apples?" he asks.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Demonachizer posted:

I used to hang out on the esplanade and drink late into the night/early morning without any issues so I am not sure what the heavy police presence is that you are complaining about. Have you checked it out in the early morning (3:00am)?

When was this? Was it before the marathon bombing and the stabbing of the park rangers?

This "heavy police presence" is the large amount of police that are within 100 yards of the dig spot at many times throughout the day. I don't know how to be clearer about that. 3am is not a good time because you are directly under a huge LED lamp, your activity is hella suspicious, and you are the only person in the park. If anyone does wander by there actually is a good chance they'll call the police, instead of during the day/early morning when nobody gives a poo poo.

Preiss buried something in this park 30 years ago, clearly at other times it would have been easier. It's also easier to "hang out" and not get busted drinking than it is to move a bunch of dirt in the middle of the night.

Deadite posted:

I am even standing on the hatch you posted so dibs on the couch

I will pay all travel costs but I ain't paying no charlie ticket surcharge.

Also my couch is small so if you're >6'2" you have to scrunch

xie fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

"How do ya like them apples?" he asks.

I lost it right here. Good post, A++++