Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm half Chinese, but I have never been checked by the way. I probably dress German enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm half Chinese, but I have never been checked by the way. I probably dress German enough.

From a security perspective, the amount of fraudulent asylum seekers and illegal immigrants of Chinese ethnicities is probably neglible as well.

(You'd probably have to go to a tech expo to be racially profiled.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

There have been a lot of immigrants from Asian countries like Vietnam long ago. Maybe they just assumed you're one of their descendants? :v:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
There is a thing going on where France and Germany in particular actively try to dump their asylum seekers on each other.

It is partly a contest on who is the biggest rear end in a top hat to refugees, so that those refugees go somewhere else.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We had Philipp Rösler as vice-chancellor!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mightypeon posted:

There is a thing going on where France and Germany in particular actively try to dump their asylum seekers on each other.

It is partly a contest on who is the biggest rear end in a top hat to refugees, so that those refugees go somewhere else.

If you didn't get here by plane the Dublin II compliant approach is to dumb you back to France. :colbert:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Torrannor posted:

We had Philipp Rösler as vice-chancellor!

I think we all agreed to not talk about this anymore.

And yes, refugees are basically a game of hot potato in the EU, were every country agrees that it is very important to take them in, however, it is totally [other country]'s turn to do so.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Randler posted:

If you didn't get here by plane the Dublin II compliant approach is to dumb you back to France. :colbert:

An interesting freudian slip for a German.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ArchangeI posted:

An interesting freudian slip for a German.

Dumbing (to dumb) is a dumping accompanied by a braining so they forgot they ever were here in the first place. :eng101:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm half chinese too. I speak english with my american fiance. Whenever we go anywhere together and someone approaches us to speak german, they always go to him first. Then I usually answer back and they double back stare at me.

"Wow, du sprichst ohne Akzent! Woher kommst du?"

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
That is weird. Berlin is full of Vietnamese (which most people cannot distinguish from Chinese), and the young generation of these propably gets better grades in German then the ethnic Germans themselfs.

Although they will propably think "tourist" if they hear you speaking english with someone.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, if people start to talk to me somewhere in public they use English from time to time. And the likelihood goes up if that person deals with tourists often.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, if people start to talk to me somewhere in public they use English from time to time.

Isn't your other half Bavarian? :smugdog:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Heh. But no. My father is a Saupreiß from Berlin.

Edit: So both my parents are immigrants from a Bavarian perspective.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 5, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

I'm half chinese too. I speak english with my american fiance. Whenever we go anywhere together and someone approaches us to speak german, they always go to him first. Then I usually answer back and they double back stare at me.

"Wow, du sprichst ohne Akzent! Woher kommst du?"

You should answer "Von der Venus natürlich.", just to see what happens.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Mightypeon posted:

That is weird. Berlin is full of Vietnamese (which most people cannot distinguish from Chinese), and the young generation of these propably gets better grades in German then the ethnic Germans themselfs.

Although they will propably think "tourist" if they hear you speaking english with someone.

Well we lived in Berlin for almost 2 years, and Berlin (kinda like Düsseldorf/Hamburg) has a really different Asian representation than the rest of the country. Now we're in Hessen :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If your city is big enough to have a real university, you have no excuse to consider Asians exotic or touristy. (Possible exemptions for tourist towns.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

If they say "Nein, im Ernst", just look at them.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Does Merkel have credible opponents for 2017? I do suppose she will run again? Is the CDU likely to be the biggest party again? I know it's still a few years away, but I'm interested in hearing how things are looking at the moment.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fabulous Knight posted:

Is the CDU likely to be the biggest party again?

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Fabulous Knight posted:

Does Merkel have credible opponents for 2017? I do suppose she will run again?

Once there were rumors that she won't run another time. I don't know if those rumors have been confirmed or refuted yet.
Edit: In a Spiegel Interview in March Merkel said that she will be chancellor until 2017, but she didn't want to say if she'll run another time or not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Merkel has been making noises about not wanting to be voted out of office but rather resign on her own terms, I think. The issue is really that she has been extremely effective in eliminating anyone who could challenge her for top dog of the CDU, and that means after she is gone there is no really obvious candidate. Von der Leyen has been given Defense, and it seems to prove another career-ender. Seehofer will be a hard sell outside Bavaria, and I don't see any of the others making a go at it.

Of course, things aren't looking much better on the other side, either. CDU/SPD-coalitions always hurt the SPD more than the CDU. Even worse, the apparent demise of the FDP has brought the CDU to the point where they could conceivably reach absolute majorities again, and that in turn means the only option for the SPD is a coalition with the Greens and Die Linke on a federal level. Good luck selling that.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bignose posted:

vote DIE PARTEI - sie ist sehr gut!

I wanted to, but they weren't present on my ballot.

Libluini posted:

While the Venus is going on, naturally :heysexy:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How the hell did the FDP end up losing even more votes? Did everyone forget about them the instant they were out of the Bundestag? Not that I'll miss those crazy guys, but wow, I think I should start to pity them now.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
The FDP are basically German Republicans, right? Please do not pity them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

posh spaz posted:

They are Republicans without the xenophobia, homophobia, Christian fundamentalism and authoritarianism.

So, yeah, basically exactly like the GOP.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

posh spaz posted:

Nah, the FDP used to be a classical liberal party (in the European meaning), they're not particularly conservative.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
The FDP's leader used to be a flamboyant gay dude. :v:

The CSU resembles the GOP a lot more than the FDP ever did.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Honj Steak posted:

Nah, the FDP used to be a classical liberal party (in the European meaning), they're not particularly conservative.

The fall I spent in Germany, right in time for the 2013 election, I got the impression they were like the libertarian wing of the GOP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The fall I spent in Germany, right in time for the 2013 election, I got the impression they were like the libertarian wing of the GOP.

Yes, libertarians are "liberals" in the European (or classical) sense. The libertarians are like the FDP, only more extreme in their liberal(tarian) positions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Republicans like Bloomberg or Huntsman would probably be FDP if they were in Germany.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Republicans like Bloomberg or Huntsman would probably be FDP if they were in Germany.

And would be completely marginalized and forgotten. :v:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes, they would be FDP, we just talked about that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Mehr Mut, Mehr Markt, Mehr Freiheit. Nur für mit uns.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps we could take a moment to discuss the fascists of the CSU entertaining the idea that everybody has to speak German all the time, even in the privacy of their home. Apart from how monumental stupid (and xenophobic) this idea is, how would you enforce it? By bringing back the Stasi Gestapo? But of course there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the election of the first Linke minister president, a Wessi who only moved to East Germany after reunification. LOL

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress Seehofer, gently caress the CSU. I don't like the CDU, but I loathe the CSU. They are horrible people.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps we could take a moment to discuss the fascists of the CSU entertaining the idea that everybody has to speak German all the time, even in the privacy of their home.

Guess someone will have to teach Bavarians how to speak German then.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
^-- Example that integration can work in action. :smugdog:

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps we could take a moment to discuss the fascists of the CSU entertaining the idea that everybody has to speak German all the time, even in the privacy of their home. Apart from how monumental stupid (and xenophobic) this idea is, how would you enforce it? By bringing back the Stasi Gestapo? But of course there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the election of the first Linke minister president, a Wessi who only moved to East Germany after reunification. LOL

Dear Torrannor,

Please provide a source for your claim that the CSU is entertaining the idea that everybody has to speak German at all times, even in the privacy of their own home and that they want to enforce that.

XOXO,

Randler.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You mean asides of every German news source, including twitter?

edit: The source seem to be a position paper for the next CSU Landtag that the BR got hold of: http://www.br.de/nachrichten/csu-integration-sprache-100.html
Also, the first time I ever saw the phrase "ist narrisch geworden" in print in a serious publication :cryingweisswurstinfronofbavarianflag:

e X fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 6, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Randler posted:

Dear Torrannor,

Please provide a source for your claim that the CSU is entertaining the idea that everybody has to speak German at all times, even in the privacy of their own home and that they want to enforce that.

XOXO,

Randler.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/integrations-papier-der-csu-die-csu-ist-in-absurdistan-angekommen-1.2255363
http://www.br.de/nachrichten/csu-integration-sprache-100.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've found my new favorite news headline of all time.