Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

andrew smash posted:

Is danneskjold a specific reference to ayn rand's pirate ubermensch or mere coincidence?

It's not a reference so much as I just liked the name. But that is the origin of it, yes.

Just to clarify, those Clan descriptions were from the supersetting of our long-dead pen and paper RPG that the Qud setting was part of.

hand of luke fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Desideratus posted:

Pro shortcut: Use a rubbergum injector and fling yourself down the elevator shaft on the surface, it's totally survivable and jumps you right to the, uh, "boss" guy and the waydroid.

And yeah, axes own so hard they allow you to hack apart logic itself!

Logic wasn't hacked apart, you just killed a LIVING, BREATHING rifle turret.

You monster.

hand of luke fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 5, 2014

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

RickVoid posted:

And bookmarked. Thanks!

There's also an actual wiki: http://cavesofqud.wikia.com/wiki/Caves_Of_Qud_Wiki
It's not official or complete, but it's a nice resource.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

What is to you guys that make a roguelike?

Something which I don't think anyone has mentioned, which is by far the most important thing for me, is a focus on gameplay over presentation. This is what got me into roguelikes in the first place, and why I have an intense dislike of, e.g. movement animation (stop animating and speed up drat it), or 3d interfaces that make it difficult to parse the map. Without exception my favourite roguelikes are those I can play from any device over telnet.

Other than that, I'm more of a purist than most - a roguelike should be like rogue, e.g. turn-based and tile-based, with randomised elements and meaningful choices providing a good deal of replayability, even once you've mastered the mechanics. To give an example, Sil is far and away my current favourite.

I did get quite a chuckle out of that other "roguelike" thread that doesn't even talk about anything remotely resembling what I'd call a roguelike. I wouldn't call Binding of Isaac a roguelike, for example, though I still love the game.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

..btt posted:

Other than that, I'm more of a purist than most - a roguelike should be like rogue, e.g. turn-based and tile-based, with randomised elements and meaningful choices providing a good deal of replayability, even once you've mastered the mechanics. To give an example, Sil is far and away my current favourite.

So would Unreal World count for you?

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Roguelike:

1) permadeath

2) random-generated levels

3) turn-based

Why care about what a true roguelike is in the first place? Well, it's like asking why someone who likes Doom may also dislike Counter-Strike. Different gameplay. So when I'm judging, say, a new Nethack variant I'm doing so from the perspective of other games of its kind (which can give me a very particular though ofc individually varied brand of experience) and not, say, Spelunky or FTL.

As for ASCII... I think it can definitely accomplish something unique. I remember when playing ADOM my mind started actively imagining M's as actual minotaurs, as in I was involuntarily substituting these letters and symbols with images of my character getting surrounded by these massive beasts. It's a bit like reading a book except there's no sense of personal urgency (hunger, monsters) in a book for your subconscious to go full tilt.

To be fair I've been way too lazy for ASCII these days. Need to try again, I think. The ADOM tileset is horrible.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

So would Unreal World count for you?

Embarrassingly, I've never played it. Downloaded it a couple of times but never got around to firing it up. From what little I know about it I'd probably say no - it's not a turn-based, tile-based game, right? I get the impression the meat of that game is organising resources in menus, a bit like king of dragon's pass?

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
No, it's turn-based and tile-based. Check it out, it's really cool!

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

..btt posted:

Embarrassingly, I've never played it. Downloaded it a couple of times but never got around to firing it up. From what little I know about it I'd probably say no - it's not a turn-based, tile-based game, right? I get the impression the meat of that game is organising resources in menus, a bit like king of dragon's pass?

It is tile and turn-based, nothing like King of Dragon Pass at all. The closest comparison I can think of is the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress, with a semi-realistic bent (cold weather is a big threat, wounds & broken bones need treatment / bandages / splints, food poisoning or catching a cold can both be pretty harsh etc). Absolutely worth a try!

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 5, 2014

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I know it's worth a look, had only seen screenshots though, hence my confusion on how it worked. Honestly, the main issue for me is I can't play it over telnet, which is how I play roguelikes most of the time. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kubla Khan posted:

Roguelike:

1) permadeath

3) turn-based

Them's fightin' words, son.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kubla Khan posted:

Roguelike:

1) permadeath

3) turn-based

Permabanning, varied threads and one post after another... The forums are my favorite roguelike.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The original, actual goal of Rogue itself was to pluck from the future via what was ostensibly the high tech of the day to bridge the gap between their P&P Tabletop Fun-Haver doings of the time.

See things through that prism, and the spirit of the thing becomes fairly evident and paramount far beyond mere mundane taxonomical wranglings.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you can point at a game, then point at Rogue and say "these are alike" it's a roguelike.

Games like FTL not fitting comfortably into that is more a sign that we should have moved past this awkward, clunky term(like how no one calls FPS games Doom-likes anymore) than anything else so that we would have something we could reasonably call those games

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Permabanning, varied threads and one post after another... The forums are my favorite roguelike.

my posting crystal is very powerful but I'm scared to take it into the infinite dungeon

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

What is to you guys that make a roguelike?

The random element. I find BoI much more enjoyable (than for example; Tome) as apart from your natural skills in the game most of how the run is played is determined by your items. No set skills to build up just make do with what you can get.

I'd like more roguelikes to just have it so there are no set classes with skill trees and whatever but just scrounging abilities together from conquered enemies.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Geokinesis posted:

The random element. I find BoI much more enjoyable (than for example; Tome) as apart from your natural skills in the game most of how the run is played is determined by your items. No set skills to build up just make do with what you can get.

I'd like more roguelikes to just have it so there are no set classes with skill trees and whatever but just scrounging abilities together from conquered enemies.

Have you ever played Brogue? I think you'd like it a lot. Very pretty for an 'ascii' game too.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The original, actual goal of Rogue itself was to pluck from the future via what was ostensibly the high tech of the day to bridge the gap between their P&P Tabletop Fun-Haver doings of the time.

See things through that prism, and the spirit of the thing becomes fairly evident and paramount far beyond mere mundane taxonomical wranglings.

So if someone played just Nethack then came to ask for recommendations, would you go ahead and say Isaac and FTL? It'd be wiser IMO to suggest ADOM, Crawl, or any of these http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Category:Roguelike_games for sharing the same basic gameplay formula. Same as if someone who liked Doom asked me to recommend games like Doom I wouldn't tell him to play CS:GO though both are technically 'FPS'. I think the word 'roguelike' is good at denoting this very peculiar type of game. Nothing against 'roguelike/action hybrids' or 'roguelike platformers' or 'rogue-lite roguelikes' or w/e, I think they're fun too.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Speaking of Castle of the Winds is there any way to play it on a modern PC? I never beat the 2nd episode :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

Speaking of Castle of the Winds is there any way to play it on a modern PC? I never beat the 2nd episode :smith:

A 32bit Windows running in a virtual machine is the only way as far as I know. In theory Windows 3.1 can run in DosBox but I can't comment on how well.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Not to get all dada on everyone, but the entire concept of a genre is kind of silly. Most of the popular categorizations (FPS, RTS, RPG, etc) are a collection of tropes that have, for whatever reason, been grouped together consistently. In that sense we often see first person perspective frequently grouped together with shooting as a primary means of interaction. Similarly, we see randomly generated dungeons frequently grouped together with perma-death and turn-based mechanics partly because of historical accident and partly because it works rather well. There's really nothing else inherently linking those tropes together, it just happened to work out that way.

Genre should be primarily seen as a rough grouping of game mechanic tropes rather than a strict delineation. It's more fun that way, because you're more free to experiment with fun combinations outside of traditional genre delineations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

A 32bit Windows running in a virtual machine is the only way as far as I know. In theory Windows 3.1 can run in DosBox but I can't comment on how well.
I remember trying the 3.1 in Dosbox way a while back and it worked pretty well. Once I jumped through hoops to gt it set up, anyway.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there no straight dos version of castle of the winds?

Speaking of dosbox, it runs both IVAN and ragnarok flawlessly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Speaking of dosbox, it runs both IVAN and ragnarok flawlessly.

Nope, Castle of the Winds was always Windows native.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Dos posted:

Do you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate? Just install it in the Windows XP Mode VM that's included with the OS and it'll run "seamlessly". That's what I do at any rate.

Here's a 7zip archive of my install folder, which includes some editing applications that you can use to mess around with strange effects of enchantments and partially removed features: http://fishmech.net/CASTLE.7z

andrew smash posted:

The only DOS version, according to an old email conversation with the developer, was his first attempt at making the game before he switched to doing it under Windows 3.0 (not 3.1, it predates 3.1 and doesn't need anything introduced in it). He doesn't have a copy of it and he doesn't remember ever releasing testing builds of it to anyone else.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

Not to get all dada on everyone, but the entire concept of a genre is kind of silly. Most of the popular categorizations (FPS, RTS, RPG, etc) are a collection of tropes that have, for whatever reason, been grouped together consistently. In that sense we often see first person perspective frequently grouped together with shooting as a primary means of interaction. Similarly, we see randomly generated dungeons frequently grouped together with perma-death and turn-based mechanics partly because of historical accident and partly because it works rather well. There's really nothing else inherently linking those tropes together, it just happened to work out that way.

Genre should be primarily seen as a rough grouping of game mechanic tropes rather than a strict delineation. It's more fun that way, because you're more free to experiment with fun combinations outside of traditional genre delineations.

The entire concept of a genre isn't silly, it's just like-grouping. And there is something inherent, they these things seem to work well together much like any other genre. That said, strict definitions are silly, and getting too hung up on definitions doubleyso

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I figure one of the points of assigning genre is to make it easier to buy and sell stuff: if you like X, then how about Y? So it's not completely pointless, it's a way to group things so you can talk about them, or wander from X to Y with a fair idea of what's to be found there.

I guess what I have to continually teach myself is that if I liked X but not Y, or if I liked them for different reasons, not to worry too much if someone calls Y an "X-like."

But I can't help it. FTL is an almost-good game that, if you have to call it a roguelike, it's an example of a bad roguelike, and Binding of Isaac is a randomized complex arena shooter, and Spelunky is a delicious and perfect fusion of roguelikes and action platformers, and has simultaneously created and destroyed its own sub-genre. Crawl is a roguelike. I don't care why or how, that's just how it is.

However, none of them are anything really all that much like each other, and I don't think they all belong in the same category.

They're all pretty fun video games, though.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

IronicDongz posted:

if you can point at a game, then point at Rogue and say "these are alike" it's a roguelike.

Games like FTL not fitting comfortably into that is more a sign that we should have moved past this awkward, clunky term(like how no one calls FPS games Doom-likes anymore) than anything else so that we would have something we could reasonably call those games

I am in favor of sticking with PDL because it's easy to say and Procedural Death Labyrinth is the greatest name for any genre in anything.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

brother-joseph posted:

I am in favor of sticking with PDL because it's easy to say and Procedural Death Labyrinth is the greatest name for any genre in anything.

FTL is my favorite procedural death labyrinth

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Pladdicus posted:

FTL is my favorite procedural death labyrinth

Mine too. Labyrinth can mean whatever you want it to, really.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Zereth posted:

I remember trying the 3.1 in Dosbox way a while back and it worked pretty well. Once I jumped through hoops to gt it set up, anyway.

Yeah, I have a Win 3.1 dosbox setup for some old games my brother wanted and once you've got it set up, it works just fine.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
If you guys like watching LPs of roguelikes then Gordon Overkill on YT is pretty drat watchable and a great player, too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GordonOverkillManiac

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'll subscribe to check back, haven't seen a ADOM LP ever.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Yeah, ADOM is his strong point. I just started watching his TOME vids and he's pretty new at that but I highly recommend the ADOM Greydon run.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rapacity posted:

If you guys like watching LPs of roguelikes then Gordon Overkill on YT is pretty drat watchable and a great player, too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GordonOverkillManiac

Thanks for this. Written guides can only do so much, and it's appropriate to be taught ADOM by a German.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MrBims posted:

Them's fightin' words, son.

That's true, militant heretics and ignoramuses abound.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The real measure of a roguelike is that it has to be so janky and inaccessible that nobody would pay for it, except maybe in the form of donations after having already played hundreds of hours and discovering that they loved it anyways.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

brother-joseph posted:

I am so unbelievably loving down with this you have no goddamn idea.

Caves of Qud is my latest favourite Procedural Death Labyrinth, but if you want something accessible and with good tiles (and music!) DoomRL offers plenty of labyrinthine procedural death.

My god it never stops being fun to type and say

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DoomRL's tiles are so great that playing it gradually erodes my ability to understand ASCII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I tend to play doomRL in console mode, after one too many times when the colour of an enemy bled into the (awful, transparent) minimap and the floor colour. I can see the entire level much easier and spot a new enemy much faster on console.