Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dont like diamonds much myself - last thing I bought for my wife was an ivory ring (don't worry - wasn't elephant, was mammoth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't like diamonds at all either, and I don't think my girl cares about them much either. we both talked about just getting some alternative gem or whatever, because it'd be more unique or more 'us' or whatever.

In the end though, between parents expectations, societal expectations in the US, etc, I figure a large part of the significance of a wedding ring (and weddings in general) is its loving dumb part of playing the game of 'being normal and well received by peers'. Having been married just a year and a half or so, I feel like I'm still in a place to compare and contrast before and after.

Nothing at all has changed in our relationship, but wearing a wedding band I can tell a noticeable difference in how I'm received by business colleagues, potential clients, folks older than myself, anyone in any service industry, etc. Like, really - it's some weird bonding thing I don't even understand. I took my wife's car in for service recently and said to the dude 'I'm here to get my wife's car fixed, and she's going to kill me if I can't get it turned around this week', and the look of deep understanding on that guy's face was absurd. I mean, my girl don't care if she gets the car this week or the next, but I guess the power of "being married" and "having a wife" is some universally understandable burden that all married men share? and he was like "i feel you bro, I'll move heaven and earth so you aren't sleeping on the couch". I don't even loving know.

on the flip side, like I said, she doesn't care that much about diamonds, but she's a lawyer and supposed to hold a certain amount of gravatas or whatever, and wearing a blingy ring she gets compliments even from ladies 2x her age on 'how fortunate she is' or 'how thoughtful your husband must be' or whatever - and she thinks she's taken a bit more seriously also, compared with when she was just "dating". neither of us really care, but if other people in the world are really impressed that much by such a silly material/societal thing, why not take advantage of it as much as possible?

I guess the retort to that is 'because stay authentic to yourself and don't care what anyone else thinks' - but frankly I like having money and being respected by my peers, and also really like the ring I designed and that my wife will magically get compliments on some petty loving materialistic thing I did for presumably the rest of our marriage, so whatever I guess.

:sigh: life... life is so beautiful....

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mindphlux you're kind of a cute guy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mindphlux posted:

I don't like diamonds at all either, and I don't think my girl cares about them much either. we both talked about just getting some alternative gem or whatever, because it'd be more unique or more 'us' or whatever.

In the end though, between parents expectations, societal expectations in the US, etc, I figure a large part of the significance of a wedding ring (and weddings in general) is its loving dumb part of playing the game of 'being normal and well received by peers'. Having been married just a year and a half or so, I feel like I'm still in a place to compare and contrast before and after.

Nothing at all has changed in our relationship, but wearing a wedding band I can tell a noticeable difference in how I'm received by business colleagues, potential clients, folks older than myself, anyone in any service industry, etc. Like, really - it's some weird bonding thing I don't even understand. I took my wife's car in for service recently and said to the dude 'I'm here to get my wife's car fixed, and she's going to kill me if I can't get it turned around this week', and the look of deep understanding on that guy's face was absurd. I mean, my girl don't care if she gets the car this week or the next, but I guess the power of "being married" and "having a wife" is some universally understandable burden that all married men share? and he was like "i feel you bro, I'll move heaven and earth so you aren't sleeping on the couch". I don't even loving know.

on the flip side, like I said, she doesn't care that much about diamonds, but she's a lawyer and supposed to hold a certain amount of gravatas or whatever, and wearing a blingy ring she gets compliments even from ladies 2x her age on 'how fortunate she is' or 'how thoughtful your husband must be' or whatever - and she thinks she's taken a bit more seriously also, compared with when she was just "dating". neither of us really care, but if other people in the world are really impressed that much by such a silly material/societal thing, why not take advantage of it as much as possible?

I guess the retort to that is 'because stay authentic to yourself and don't care what anyone else thinks' - but frankly I like having money and being respected by my peers, and also really like the ring I designed and that my wife will magically get compliments on some petty loving materialistic thing I did for presumably the rest of our marriage, so whatever I guess.

:sigh: life... life is so beautiful....

Yeah, but you designed it yourself, for her, and you got a sweet deal on a huge fuckin' rock.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

don't gently caress rocks, man

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

mindphlux posted:

Nothing at all has changed in our relationship, but wearing a wedding band I can tell a noticeable difference in how I'm received by business colleagues, potential clients, folks older than myself, anyone in any service industry, etc.

Yes this. We got married in August, but we've been together 10 years this May. There is a perceptible difference. I tell my husband he can use the "wife card" if he wants, but I'm not at all like that, like your wife. People take you more seriously, even though your relationship is exactly the same as it's ever been. It's weird.

This is my ring set. I love it to loving pieces.

Don't mind my super, super dry hands.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the recommendations, phlux.

Nice ring, Echeveria!

We've discussed alternate gemstones and she considered the idea briefly but wants a diamond. She's a very very intelligent woman and even after exposing her to all the information about how diamonds are not really rare and how their prices are artificially inflated to an extreme degree (not to mention the whole "blood diamond" tragedy), she still wants one. It's not even that I'm opposed to getting her one, it's more that I am a logical individual who doesn't enjoy taking part in what amounts to a ridiculous scam just because DeBeers are the world's best marketers. Yay, societal norms I suppose...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Mindphlux you're kind of a cute guy.

:( oh no oh god oh god what is happening

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can buy non De Beers diamonds. I got my wife's ring at Brilliant Earth, they let you pick a diamond and then set it and mine was from a Canadian mine and used recycled gold.

Also everything mindphlux said about society is right. Neither my wife or I care a ton about diamonds but here we are.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I think diamonds are nice but I like that my diamond was handed down to me by my mother in law more. It was in the ring my father in law proposed to her with (she has since gotten the upgrade to a 5 carat boulder) and I'm a sucker for things with history even if it only goes back one generation. I also have a simple diamond solitaire necklace, and that diamond has been passed down on my dad's side of the family since before the civil war.

The other nice thing is that my ring was custom made and is insured for ten times as much as it cost. Free diamonds are the best diamonds.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

The Midniter posted:

We've discussed alternate gemstones and she considered the idea briefly but wants a diamond. She's a very very intelligent woman and even after exposing her to all the information about how diamonds are not really rare and how their prices are artificially inflated to an extreme degree (not to mention the whole "blood diamond" tragedy), she still wants one. It's not even that I'm opposed to getting her one, it's more that I am a logical individual who doesn't enjoy taking part in what amounts to a ridiculous scam just because DeBeers are the world's best marketers. Yay, societal norms I suppose...

Does she want a diamond because DIAMOND! or does she want something that looks like a diamond so it reads like one socially? I have a moissanite in titanium ring and people mistake it for diamond and platinum all the time. I mean, a jeweler wouldn't, but I don't hang out with many jewelers.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Sphalerites also look remarkably like diamonds, but have more 'fire' - in other words, as long as the cut's the same, a sphalerite will look as good as or better than most diamonds.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

Does she want a diamond because DIAMOND! or does she want something that looks like a diamond so it reads like one socially? I have a moissanite in titanium ring and people mistake it for diamond and platinum all the time. I mean, a jeweler wouldn't, but I don't hang out with many jewelers.

My wife and I decided mutually on moissanite for many of these reasons. We also would much rather spend extra on the craftsmanship of the setting than the controversial stone in it. It also has significantly more fire than a diamond.

shameless wifering pic drop

top down varna
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

varna side filigree detail lowkey
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

varna ring side face filigree lowkey
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

edit:

moissanite fire comparison pic

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There's a bit of a long backstory, but my husband proposed to me with a ring that friends had drunkenly forced us to pretend propose with years before. So, we didn't have an actual engagement ring, but I went on Ebay and found a seller with several estate rings, and ended up buying 4 of them and had them resized for less than $150 total. I got to pick which ring I wanted to wear each morning and it was awesome. So, that's another option you can look into.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

My wife and I decided mutually on moissanite for many of these reasons. We also would much rather spend extra on the craftsmanship of the setting than the controversial stone in it. It also has significantly more fire than a diamond.

top down varna
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

varna side filigree detail lowkey
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

varna ring side face filigree lowkey
by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

edit:

moissanite fire comparison pic

That last pic is why I went with moissanite. Gorgeous. And god drat Grav, that ring is loving gorgeous. Who did it? What's the metal? How big is the center / side gems? (if you still have all that info, I mean.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like the detail on the band. sometimes I think that can be overdone, but that's pretty tasteful and intricate.

well I guess since I spent so much time on the thing I should do this too, might as well be internet-proud about it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My wife, being a semi-field biologist, wisely chose to have a 10 pack of rings purchased from Amazon.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Main wife and I refuse to feed money into diamonds because it's an evil industry that has false supply/demand and encourages actual slavery. I offered her my Great-Great-Grandmother's ring which had since had my Great-Grandmother's wedding ring's diamond and my grandmother's diamond incorporated into it. Knowing how old it was (and how fat my Grandmother had gotten in her old age) I had to sign a waiver stating that I understood the gold could shatter when they tried to re size it. Apparently gold gets brittle if it gets to be really old since it was last formed. Worked out great and now she's wearing literally part of my family's history. She loves it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

I like the detail on the band. sometimes I think that can be overdone, but that's pretty tasteful and intricate.

well I guess since I spent so much time on the thing I should do this too, might as well be internet-proud about it

Dude, I got my wife's engagement ring from Bradley Harris!

She's not super pleased with it. Originally, she wanted emerald for the main stone. They told her "no, no, emerald is too soft for everyday wear", and sold us on a green tourmaline instead. Well, that's getting beaten up too. Come to find out that tourmaline is only a skoch harder than emerald.

The stone still looks good from a distance, but up close and personal, you can see a bunch of scratches and imperfections. I figure for our five year anniversary, we can replace the tourmaline with green sapphire.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Dude, I got my wife's engagement ring from Bradley Harris!

yeah, it might have actually been you that directed me to them, along with some google research. I definitely got a recommendation off these forums. they've since bought a couple workstations from my company and used us for some IT work, so it's worked out well. :) thanks!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My girlfriend's sister got engaged last week, the diamond + setting cost 10k :eyepop:. My girlfriend's reaction was "That's dumb, just get me a platinum band and a Vitamix".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

That last pic is why I went with moissanite. Gorgeous. And god drat Grav, that ring is loving gorgeous. Who did it? What's the metal? How big is the center / side gems? (if you still have all that info, I mean.)

thanks! The designer is Varna (http://www.varna.com/), it's platinum, 1.25 ct equivalent moissanite. It's a solitaire. I'm a tad jealous, lol, I have a plain rose gold band.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVa2eLgkP-E

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
This is my engagement/wedding ring. Technically it is the second, I lost the first at a rest stop. I might have a grown-up version made one day but I am in no hurry to do that.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

I figure for our five year anniversary, we can replace the tourmaline with green sapphire.

Emerald also can crack in half, but I don't know why they wouldn't have gone straight to suggesting a green sapphire. There are so many shades, with a little effort they could have found the perfect green one. I should try and find a proper picture of my ring, because the lovely camera picture I took doesn't do it justice.

He hunted all over town and finally went to a local jeweler and saw this stone. He wasn't sure I'd like it because the color is quite different, so he had me go to the shop under the pretense of looking at a different ring. They showed me this stone, I snapped a picture of it and that was that. The 1.89 karat sapphire cost 900 dollars and the setting, including the hearts on fire side stones, was 600 dollars, but I think they cut us an enormous deal. So 1500 canadian for my engagement ring. My wedding band had to be custom made to lock into the stone, and it was 800.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Turns out rubies are pricey as well

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Appl posted:

I like the simplicity of that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Appl posted:

Rubies are just sapphires that happen to be red. And yeah, that's a hot ring.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I had to leave that group because the insanity hurt more than it amused.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

thanks! The designer is Varna (http://www.varna.com/), it's platinum, 1.25 ct equivalent moissanite. It's a solitaire. I'm a tad jealous, lol, I have a plain rose gold band.

Dang, man. I'm a klutz and a person who loses stuff and I think when I end up inevitably losing my ring, I am gonna have to go for a bigger gem. Originally I wasn't even sure I wanted a ring, and then I thought I wanted a smallish gem (I think a half-carat or three-quarter carat equivalent?) but I should know better. In my makeup, I want glitter. In my body jewelry, I want huge flashy gems. Why the hell would my engagement ring be different? I can still fight the patriarchy just as well with a huge rainbow-throwing rock on my finger.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do people lose rings? Just get one that fits and don't take it off.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Ring avulsion.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
GWS General Chat: Let's talk about engagement rings!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The real question: is a ring, composed of a setting and one or more inset toppings, a sandwich?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The real question: is a ring, composed of a setting and one or more inset toppings, a sandwich?

Only if it has beans

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

GrAviTy84 posted:

Only if it has beans

no, then it's chili

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
A ring can be a sandwich yes, but not all sandwiches are rings, nor are all rings sandwiches.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Help. I'm going to be in Chicago for dinner tonight, breakfast/lunch tomorrow, and breakfast Sunday. I want to cram as much awesome Chicago-ness in as possible, where should I go?

I have a rec for deep dish pizza, but what about ramen? I wish I was there for dinner Saturday night so I could try and grab Alinea tickets. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

Help. I'm going to be in Chicago for dinner tonight, breakfast/lunch tomorrow, and breakfast Sunday. I want to cram as much awesome Chicago-ness in as possible, where should I go?

I have a rec for deep dish pizza, but what about ramen? I wish I was there for dinner Saturday night so I could try and grab Alinea tickets. :smith:

Why not kill two birds with one stone and get a ramen pizza?