Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah you guys aren't really selling this by talking about how they argue weather or not a movie's good because of how sexist/racist it is. That's usually like the dullest, most predictable, and ultimately frustrating way to talk about a film.
I for one am not trying to convince you of anything cause I don't care if you like it :)

I like listening to these two people who have spent much of their professional and personal lives discussing movies.

Though for me the podcast is about how Devin has really dumb opinions on things and Amy is just frustrated by it. He is really, really confident and smug about awful opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Like I said, you couldn't pay me to listen to those two loud idiots have a fake argument about a concept (the American canon), especially when WolfPop debuted funny and charming Maltin on Movies the same day.

Every sode Baron Vaughn surprises me by not getting a reference.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Haha "meet cute" what's that?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I listened to the Jerry M. ep and the guy was like I think the movie is this and the girl was like I think the movie is this and then it was 45 minutes of them not engaging with each other except to say you're wrong.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

In the most recent episode Leonard insists that the bus in Speed had to go exactly 50mph and couldn't go below OR above. Come on Len. Get your poo poo together.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Like I said, you couldn't pay me to listen to those two loud idiots have a fake argument about a concept (the American canon), especially when WolfPop debuted funny and charming Maltin on Movies the same day.

I didn't really click with Maltin on Movies because he's a bit too genial and superficial with his film analysis. That's kind of his gimmick, but it's not for me.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

bobservo posted:

I didn't really click with Maltin on Movies because he's a bit too genial and superficial with his film analysis. That's kind of his gimmick, but it's not for me.

I won't argue against that. But the Canon reminds me of "Embrace Debate" programming you see on ESPN. Nothing but two people yelling for 10 minutes about a made-up topic like, "Who is the most 'Elite' quarterback in the NFL?"

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Poor Eric.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I won't argue against that. But the Canon reminds me of "Embrace Debate" programming you see on ESPN. Nothing but two people yelling for 10 minutes about a made-up topic like, "Who is the most 'Elite' quarterback in the NFL?"

Pretty much, like, I could get into a thing where they talk about the political and social messages of movies and their impacts on the culture around them and all that but they're super not doing that. Like said it's just the dude being all 'well here's what I think' and the girl being all 'here's what I think' and then the end. It's like, cool you just said two things I guess.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lugaloco posted:

Poor Eric.

So glad to have that goofy bastard make a reappearance.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I can't decide if the Pauly Shore HH is one of the best episodes or one of the worst.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah you guys aren't really selling this by talking about how they argue weather or not a movie's good because of how sexist/racist it is. That's usually like the dullest, most predictable, and ultimately frustrating way to talk about a film.

Well the point isn't about whether or not Temple of Doom is racist/sexist (Because it is) but it's if there's a larger point to that stuff. Ultimately it's aping too closely the serials that it was influenced by, but they were a product of their time. ToD doesn't have that excuse. If it undercut those ideas somehow then it would be different, but instead they're just front and centre.

As to someone else's point. The most recent discussion on Star Wars do discuss the cultural landscape before and after those movies came out, what with the idea of cliffhanger storytelling being in vogue all of a sudden now.

As much as I like Maltin, I don't think he's ever given a movie some real thought beyond the superficial. He's such a genial presence though that it doesn't really matter.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrVenkman posted:

Well the point isn't about whether or not Temple of Doom is racist/sexist (Because it is) but it's if there's a larger point to that stuff. Ultimately it's aping too closely the serials that it was influenced by, but they were a product of their time. ToD doesn't have that excuse. If it undercut those ideas somehow then it would be different, but instead they're just front and centre.

As to someone else's point. The most recent discussion on Star Wars do discuss the cultural landscape before and after those movies came out, what with the idea of cliffhanger storytelling being in vogue all of a sudden now.

As much as I like Maltin, I don't think he's ever given a movie some real thought beyond the superficial. He's such a genial presence though that it doesn't really matter.

How is Maltin a film critic when he seems to stupid to argue his points.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's mean, but I could listen to anybody say "i like the movie".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's liked a lot of movies.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a film expert of 30+ years I can tell you: The movie's cast, how long it was, and Whether it's mostly gags or serious stuff.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nice. I myself can also say that but at the end I call a lady retarded, then later she also calls me retarded.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
seriously, Maltin just seems like he likes movies, not like he actually knows anything about film as art. he's a pop critic. he offers no insight and complains if a movie is over 90 minutes almost every time. i absolutely do not understand why he is held with such high esteem.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Even if that is true, why would that be a bad thing?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Fieryspork posted:

seriously, Maltin just seems like he likes movies, not like he actually knows anything about film as art. he's a pop critic. he offers no insight and complains if a movie is over 90 minutes almost every time. i absolutely do not understand why he is held with such high esteem.

I think that's okay though. I'm personally not that interested in exploring deep themes/symbolism/etc in movies, so I'm happy with a mostly superficial discussion of whether a film is compelling or entertaining and why.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Fieryspork posted:

i absolutely do not understand why he is held with such high esteem.

Maltin did not find fame through deep insight or charismatic presentation. He got famous from putting out his movie guides which had reviews for drat near every movie in one handy reference. Those guides were essentially IMDB before the internet. I still have a bunch with duct tape bindings because they were so thoroughly leafed through.

One side effect of being so prolific in writing movie reviews is that most of the reviews are superficial and generally just tell you if Maltin liked it or not. And he likes most movies (or else he wouldn't watch thousands of movies as a living).

The reason why he still has esteem is that he's pretty much the last pre-Harry Knowles Aintitcool bullshit celebrity reviewer still alive from that 80's era when media outlets pushed celebrity reviewers as a thing. I guess other than Rex Reed but no one ever liked him.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

why the gently caress doesn't Gene Shalit have a podcast

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacier posted:

I think that's okay though. I'm personally not that interested in exploring deep themes/symbolism/etc in movies, so I'm happy with a mostly superficial discussion of whether a film is compelling or entertaining and why.

What do you get out of that other than affirmation?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Hey here's that clip of Sean Clements sharing smooches with Judah Friedlander on 30 Rock as discussed on Hollywood Handbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g72RHscZn0

Riveting performance, played it so low key.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What do you get out of that other than affirmation?

I guess I like it because I haven't seen most of the movies they talk about and it introduces me to new movies I might want to watch, as well as giving additional background information that I didn't know about films I already enjoy. I don't think the discussion has to be really academic to be worthwhile.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Idk Maltin on Movies is just pleasant as heck and he and Baron are kinda superficial but it's fun to hear them talk about movies you might have forgotten about for an hour. Maltin is also upfront with liking most movies

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Reformed Pissboy posted:

why the gently caress doesn't Gene Shalit have a podcast

I only know of this person, and all movie critics, from The Critic, but I don't remember Maltin ever being on the show.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

gently caress Prince

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not every reviewer needs to be SuperMechaGodzilla. Maltin rules.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

how did i accidentally find my way into the doug loves movies thread? this is weird.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

they've officially broken quarantine, Conduit. We're all doomed.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

they've officially broken quarantine, Conduit. We're all doomed.

SLASH AND BURN. SCORCHED EARTH. SALT THE SOIL. NOTHING MUST GROW HERE.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

As much as I love the boys on HH, sometimes I lay awake and think about Wolfpop picking Reality Show Show back up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
They could have the least popular shows on two different networks!

:(

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

They could have the least popular shows on two different networks!

:(

But I could at least have an excuse to watch the challenge again

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
rip the mank

Broheim
Jan 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Man the guest segment in today's Hollywood Handbook is painful

Man Hayes and Sean really gave you the business today.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Stop talking over Steph Allynne, Besser. :mad:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Broheim posted:

Man Hayes and Sean really gave you the business today.

It was really painful to get mentioned on Hollywood Handbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I literally cackled on the train when I heard you and this forum mentioned. Heeeeey interns!