Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Here's one of Seo Hee Ham's recent fights. The fight with Joanne could be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tiyOvZZvA&t=60s

e: also even though Joanne lost and her grappling looked suspect, I was still impressed with how she adjusted between rounds. She was getting lit up in the first but you could tell that she took Pettis' advice between rounds and started fighting at a better range in the second (though obviously she got tied up eventually).

She's like if Wanderlei didn't have his steroid and amphetamine fueled strength behind his looping haymakers, and didn't know how to clinch knee. She's also a full four inches shorter. Jojo is going to walk through her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So is Rose legit crazy or what? Was it just the pressures of the house or does she cry after every fight? After watching her few fights on the show, she's now in my top 3 or so fighters that I enjoy watching strictly from a entertainment perspective. She's fearless, relentless, and seemingly insane and she's still so young. I'm hoping she's the next Jones (fights wise, not personality wise).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ariza posted:

So is Rose legit crazy or what? Was it just the pressures of the house or does she cry after every fight?

there's been more tears this season, win or lose, than ever. but if andy wang has taught us anything, it means that they're warriors. not crazy.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Marching Powder posted:

there's been more tears this season, win or lose, than ever. but if andy wang has taught us anything, it means that they're warriors. not crazy.

Even if only one person sees this for the first time, it's worth posting again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ76VkRe-gA

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

wang is 7-8-1-1 and hasn't fought in over 3 years. If Rose ends up there, I hope her and Barry have some kids or get some dogs and move up into the mountains some where and never fight again. It'll be too tragic to see 2 awesome people keep getting beat up.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll be honest, her incessant crying annoyed me a little. Great fight though. Hoping Felice, Bec, Carla and Angela get properly dismantled.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
That first round between Jojo and Rose was insane. What an amazing fight and I hope these two get to fight each other in the future. Rose tried a flying omoplata ya? There was some really fun exchanges and Rose is a beast just like we already knew.

Rose vs Randa what a bad rear end fight. Carla vs Penne, eh

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I just hope Penne gets taken down easily and stays there because I will not enjoy watching Carla blow a dozen takedowns every round. But in the preview it looks like on at least one attempt, Penne rolls through and ends up on top.

CommonShore posted:

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that being in The House adversely affected their performances, not to mention that it was Torres's third fight in however many weeks, and Carla's second. Carla has gone five rounds without puking, and Tecia has fought much higher-paced fights and given far more impressive performances.

In those fights she didn't have to spam like 15 takedown attempts in a row only to get one takedown at the very end of the round. Huge difference there.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

1st AD posted:

I don't think Torres is gonna steamroll Magaña at all.

I'm pretty sure Sean Shelby and Joe Silva are better at their jobs than that Invicta matchmaker who got fired, or Julie Kedzie.

Magana fancies herself a kickboxer. She loves in Thailand and still had terrible kickboxing. Tecia is a striker with a super crazy pace with good movement. She's going to do exactly what she did to Felice Herrig

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Am I the only one that thinks that Tecia won the 1st, if not both rounds? Carla spammed takedowns and never did anything with any of them and ate shots every time they were standing, barely ever throwing a punch herself.

King Trite
Aug 16, 2007
A phrase that loses power due to repetition or overuse

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that Tecia won the 1st, if not both rounds? Carla spammed takedowns and never did anything with any of them and ate shots every time they were standing, barely ever throwing a punch herself.

At least one judge did (majority decision) and so did I. I don't really see how a 5% takedown rate that led to minimal top control and damage wins against the amount of counter shots that were landed, never mind clearly losing the standing exchanges.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's kinda either way to my eyes. I had Tecia winning, but it's not like it's unknown that judges overvalue even somewhat successful takedown attempts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ideally there would have been a way for them both to lose.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Snowman_McK posted:

Ideally there would have been a way for them both to lose.

Her name is Randa.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Rose's dirty jiu jitsu was something else to watch. It wasn't just the constant sub attempts, but in the downtime between all of them she was constantly using her forearms, elbows, and forehead to put pressure on Jojo's windpipe/mouth/temples/other soft parts. I've rolled with people who keep pressure like that and it's always agonising to go through.

Is there anyone else in the current UFC who successfully uses that kind of ground game? I can't think of any but it's possible I only noticed it this time cause I was real excited for this fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Kelvin Gastellum does something similar in that when he's on the ground he's constantly scrambling or punching someone, the minute they go to defend strikes he moves to pass and usually ends up taking the back.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

Kaaarma Feliiice

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Alright caught up with the season last night:

- The room move drama was dumb, but not quite as dumb as "Lets cut our practice time in half just so we don't have to look at eachother".

- Tecia/Bec was an interesting fight. Tecia looked very smart closing distance...but otoh Bec looked pretty bad at staying Rangey for more than 10 seconds at a time.

- Carla's neverending takedown is both stupid and effective. Most of the girls will have no option other than to run away from it like Tecia had to and eventually one of the takedowns is bound to be on correct timing. W.R.E.A.M.

- Felice was pretty obviously trying to make Randa a villian in her own brain to help herself, but she also kind of admitted it. She is a Diaz at heart.

- Randa is a rad fighter and completely had Felice's number. Sweet finish too.

- Randa's ice cold "You're next" was a highlight of the season. She's got mad mental toughness and it-factor to walk out of a fight and be able to banter with Carla so well.

- Was it just me or was Justine/Tecia(?) poo poo-talking eachother the best deadpan friendly poo poo talk on TUF ever? They were cutting deep and didn't blink until the end. I thought it was pretty loving funny.

- Rose and JoJo's staredown was ace. That one and Randa/Felice are some of my favs ever.

- I think FD said it best when he called Rose a buzzsaw. Her kicks look positively scary sometimes. She's the best in the house about pulling the trigger. She does it more times in one fight than a lot of these girls do in the whole season. JoJo didn't look bad really but...European grappling :/

- Conor McGregor finally meets a room he can't charm lol. Him, Aish and Hooligan should have a show all their own.

- I thought Penne looked like she had relatively good BJJ, I'd like to see her fight Randa but I don't like the odds of that being the finale fight.

Edit: One other thing I noticed, Pettis has been MIA from practice twice on the show. Which in reality means he was missing so often they had two segments they couldn't even edit around to hide it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is coming from an interview with Duke Roufus about the recent allegations about his club, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but:

quote:

He said that the now-departed Namajunas, his most vocal critic in the wake of the Journal-Sentinal story, perpetrated at least one act of violence during a training session that left a teammate injured.

“The last day she was there, she was sparring one of our male teammates, and I hear this scream, and there’s a little area of our mat that kind of turns, and I couldn’t see,” he said. “It was the last round of sparring MMA with big gloves. I hear this scream, and I’m like, ‘Oh, maybe it’s something between them.’ And the last day of practice, she leaves. I found out from this guy, who has a sister who’s a pro fighter on our team, so he knows how to train with women. He grew up wrestling with her, (from) a prevalent wrestling family. (Rose) slid off her gloves and started punching him in the face with her hand wraps and cut him without gloves on.”

Namajunas did not respond to a text message requesting comment about the alleged incident.
:pwn:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Not really how I would've defended myself from claims that my gym is a place where people go too hard but alright dude

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

colonel_korn posted:

This is coming from an interview with Duke Roufus about the recent allegations about his club, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but:

:pwn:

That is quikte possibly the worst comment a person has made. It makes no sense. He never gets to the point until the end, but even then it was like he was not even sure how to talk.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah that doesn't make his gym sound better, lol

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

1st AD posted:

Yeah that doesn't make his gym sound better, lol

The way he phrased it sounds like he is smoking meth and doesn't even give any reason as to why just gloves came off and someone was punched, the day she left. It is like reading slam poetry that interview.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Carla's ankle-biting had me wishing for Teica to turn around and knee her, three-point rule be damned. Of course it's much more difficult for her to do than it looked from my couch, but that was an awful fight.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 6, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting back on the horse of watching TUF from the beginning, starting on 4 now :ninja:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It was kind of funny watching UFC 181 over the weekend and they kept cutting to Carla, Jessica and Rose sitting cageside and all smiles. Randa was apparently sitting somewhere else in the building on her own, I am guessing by choice :D

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Angela Magana's twitter continues to own btw.

In addition to these she's mostly been endlessly retweeting the most childish fake Bec Hyatt account ever that keeps talking like she's getting drunk and fingered 24/7. Apparently all in good fun since she posts pics of them hanging out too.

quote:

Whenever Zuffa officials are around I do the job. Smile. Don't complain if my antibacterial hand gel ruins ur sad little lame posters

Note on the above, she also tweeted a picture of the guy and called him sad looking

quote:

Was suppose to do an interview for some low rate sat-radio show. gently caress that. Going back to bed instead for some beauty sleep.

quote:

Cutting to commercial really took away from a great finish. Very disappointing. Thankfully ufc aired the fight again on the ppv (4)

I just want to see an unconscious bitch in a pool of blood not a metro pcs commercial.

:lol:

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

It was kind of funny watching UFC 181 over the weekend and they kept cutting to Carla, Jessica and Rose sitting cageside and all smiles. Randa was apparently sitting somewhere else in the building on her own, I am guessing by choice :D

Definitely by choice. Randa was in the front row sitting between TJ Dillashaw's wife and Frankie Edgar, two seats away from the other TUF 20 fighters.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I think it was mentioned earlier that episodes of TUF are usually available the next day on Itunes and similar services. Is the same thing done for FS1 fight cards? I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of avoiding spoilers for the championship fight on Friday since I don't have cable, and it being available Saturday would make it a lot easier.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier that episodes of TUF are usually available the next day on Itunes and similar services. Is the same thing done for FS1 fight cards? I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of avoiding spoilers for the championship fight on Friday since I don't have cable, and it being available Saturday would make it a lot easier.

From a quick iTunes search, it looks like they put an abbreviated version with the finals from the show only on iTunes.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
That'll work, thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watch out for the "Girls Fight Out" article by Taffy Brodesser-Akner. It's a good read, but it has a spoiler for the semifinals.

https://medium.com/matter/theres-a-woman-who-can-kick-a-mans-rear end-and-everybody-around-the-world-knows-it-40e76270273b

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Watch out for the "Girls Fight Out" article by Taffy Brodesser-Akner. It's a good read, but it has a spoiler for the semifinals.

https://medium.com/matter/theres-a-woman-who-can-kick-a-mans-rear end-and-everybody-around-the-world-knows-it-40e76270273b

This is a pro click.

quote:

All athletics require some sort of aggression to win, but despite how often I was corrected when I called someone a fighter — “Please, they’re athletes” — that’s just part of a fiction that MMA has created that cage fighting is not fighting at all: It’s sport, like soccer or squash. “Martial arts is all about discipline,” people tell me, and encourage me to enroll my young sons in karate. But when people talk about it as discipline and sport, they’re depriving MMA of its true nature, which is to cause someone pain until they are either unconscious or unwilling to endure any more.

Finally someone gets Our Gay Sport

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Good article

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure that there are any spoilers there... she mentions Rose     winning all of her fights, but I don't think that includes the semifinals since she was interviewing her before that.

This was my favourite part:

quote:

This is not to say the Chumpettes and the Nerds didn’t have a sense of their regard. They did. One night, “Hurricane” Heather Jo Clark had lectured the other women in the house on bullying. “I brought up how I would really like to start an anti-bullying campaign and explained what bullying was. A friend of mine has a 13-year-old daughter that committed suicide… She hung herself and she was just being bullied. That happens every day with kids, with adults in the workplace, and it was going on here this whole time.” They listened to her, and then, minutes later, started making fun of her for making her speech. “So they started bullying me about anti-bullying. How funny is that though, right?”
I can only imagine how awkward that whole situation must have been.

It seems to me that there was a ton of drama that got left on the cutting room floor. Apparently Lisa Ellis and Felice hate each other but I don't remember ever even seeing them interact on the show.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I might have skimmed a little did they actually spoil this week's episode?

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
No, the writer just favours Rose to be "the next Ronda Rousey"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Rose is anything but the next Ronda simply because she's a mental weakling and Ronda is probably the most mentally fit person in MMA.

She is incredibly fast though and has a great fighting instinct. If she ever gets her emotions under control she's probably going to dominate the division until someone really physically strong comes along (which may be Randa already).

mewse
May 2, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Rose is anything but the next Ronda simply because she's a mental weakling and Ronda is probably the most mentally fit person in MMA.

Whoa whoa whoa. What we're playing at is armchair sports psychologist and I'm gonna argue that just because Rose is wearing her emotions on her sleeve (much like Pat Barry, must be contagious) it doesn't have any implications for her in-the-cage performances. Rose has been a killer stepping into the ring and the only person I can think of this season with a stronger will is Randa. They Just Want It More

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doesn't Ronda claim to cry all the time, too?

e. either way, she's always wearing her emotions on her sleeve, too.

• Locked thread