Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Test Pattern posted:

The Anova Precision, if you're willing to wait and believe Anova's story about the problems. Supposedly, all the issues I had with mine and others had with theirs are fixed in the second run (which you'd be getting). I'm mailing mine back in this week, and frankly, even having to work around the weird calibration issues it's a fantastic device at a price that can't be beat. The workaround I found for my temp-reading fluctuation issues were to unplug and replug -- once the temp was stable it stays so for days, but only about 1/3rd of the time will it give an even partially sensible reading.

The reason for the price drop with feature increase is partially Moore's law, partially lessons learned from the first generation of clip-on immersion heaters and partially a slight decrease in power (offset by better brains -- the Anova Precision cooker circulates 25% less water/time and has 20% less heating power, but gets 85% as much water to temp notably faster (per Kenji of Serious Eats) than the One).

That's good to know. I'm getting ready to start experimenting with sous vide and was leaning towards ordering the Anova Precision, but with the units not shipping until January and the first batch having so many problems, I'm starting to lean back towards the Sansaire, since that seems to be pretty tried and true at this stage. I had somehow missed on out on the whole kickstarter sous vide craze and I'm amazed at how much the cost for sous vide circulators have come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

So you did your tamales, and they turned out great. Got a recipe?

Long post incoming:

For the Meat, I did this sauce. I kind of burned the chiles a little and also roasted the mirepoix with the chile. Came out good, but not as spicy as some would have liked. Cool the sauce before using.

I cut the meat into pieces where 1-2 pieces would fit in the largest bag my sealer would fit, in my case 12"x14". I put some salt and pepper on the beef and added some chile sauce.

Double bagged and cooked for 72 hours at 145F.

Meat was chilled in ice water in the sink and frozen.

Reheated in 140F water using an outdoor turkey fryer and its large pot. Maybe 2 hours?

Shredded the meat in the bag as much as possible first. Drained the juice and reduced it separately, shredded the meat the rest of the way by hand. Added back in some of the juice and a lot of Abuelo's chile sauce.

For the tamales, we are still trying to get the actual recipe from my friend's Abuelo. He comes with Masa and Chile already made. They did make 60 pounds of boiled meat this year, so at least they know how to do that part, but the sous vide stuff put the boiled meat to shame.

I also did 140F chicken breasts with Abuelo's chile sauce kind of spur of the moment. Those actually turned into the best tamales of the day (and we made over 500 tamales and only 30 or so were chicken).

tl;dr: Sous vide meat is awesome and if you don't have actual hispanic parents/grandparents who make tamales for christmas find a friend who does and learn from them. One day I will get all of the secrets and learn how to do it.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I bought a piece of steak but I can't identify the cut. It's made up of a bunch of different muscles, is boneless and doesn't have huge chunks of fat in or around it. How long should I cook it for? Kind of reminds me of a shoulder cut? Could it be anything else?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Flatiron? If it looks like you could tear it evenly in two with your hands it's probably a hanger steak.

I remember some folks way earlier in the thread (or on some other site) talking about doing cuts with connective tissues and stuff at a higher temp for longer (!?) but I never did any of that. All steak type objects get cooked like all other steak type objects in my house: 131-133 degrees F, for 'until I get home from the bar'. Hasn't gone wrong yet. Really cheap, really good steaks are a pleasure.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was it out of the back of some random guys truck?

We'll need a pic to identify

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone do a meat glued turducken before? We always have Turkey for Christmas and I'm thinking about saying that I'll do it and showing up with crazy-people food.

I figured I'd use one turkey/duck/chicken. Debone them all and end up with 4 rolls (2 x white meat, 2 x dark meat) stuff the centers with sausage and meat glut and layers then roll them all up. Each one would (should?) end up about the size of a pretty large pork loin. What kind of temp/time would I be looking at? 155 ish for 8-10 hours then sear or do I need to go higher because of all the duck fat?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Plinkey posted:

Anyone do a meat glued turducken before? We always have Turkey for Christmas and I'm thinking about saying that I'll do it and showing up with crazy-people food.

I figured I'd use one turkey/duck/chicken. Debone them all and end up with 4 rolls (2 x white meat, 2 x dark meat) stuff the centers with sausage and meat glut and layers then roll them all up. Each one would (should?) end up about the size of a pretty large pork loin. What kind of temp/time would I be looking at? 155 ish for 8-10 hours then sear or do I need to go higher because of all the duck fat?

Serious Eats posted a pretty great Turducken article. Check it out for ideas: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-ulimate-turducken.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

You might want to check the tracking number again. The status on mine changed today.

Nope, still no updates. I did receive this e-mail from the customer support:

quote:

Hi again!

I just received an update from our Shipping Department.
We anticipate this order to be shipped within the next 2-3 business days.

I ask you to please extend a little more patience on this matter. As they print labels on a mass scale so that they are not slowed down by having to print more units.

Thanks so much for understanding. Have a good one!

Well if they mass-print labels to save time, don't get my hopes up by sending a shipping notification that it's on its way until it actually ships! :arghfist: :arghfist:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Nope, still no updates. I did receive this e-mail from the customer support:

Well if they mass-print labels to save time, don't get my hopes up by sending a shipping notification that it's on its way until it actually ships! :arghfist: :arghfist:

This happens to me all the time with shipping updates from lots of companies. I think it might just be part of the process for whatever shipper(s) they use. Tracking numbers are just not reliable in general.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kenji has a brilliant way of putting 2 and 2 together, and today he posted an article saying that sous vide is a great way to temper chocolate. Why didn't anyone think of this before? It makes so much sense: precise temperature control when melting chocolate in order to attain specific chocolate crystallizations.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/12/the-food-lab-best-way-to-temper-chocolate.html

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Plinkey posted:

You would have to be really careful about the diameter of the meat log in this case. I think anything over 4-5 inches ends up not being able to get the core up to temperature safely. Maybe if you did it as flat layers and rolled it after cooking or something?

Edit: Kenji's post linked before mine actually covers this well, cooking it from the inside out was brilliant.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 5, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

Kenji has a brilliant way of putting 2 and 2 together, and today he posted an article saying that sous vide is a great way to temper chocolate. Why didn't anyone think of this before? It makes so much sense: precise temperature control when melting chocolate in order to attain specific chocolate crystallizations.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/12/the-food-lab-best-way-to-temper-chocolate.html

Err. Because I have been doing it forever and it's common sense? It was a natural step after doing creme brulé and ice cream.

Also: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/12/the-strange-effects-of-tempering-chocolate-with-a-sous-vide-machine/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Err. Because I have been doing it forever and it's common sense? It was a natural step after doing creme brulé and ice cream.

Also: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/12/the-strange-effects-of-tempering-chocolate-with-a-sous-vide-machine/

Using sous vide for that may be common sense, but the exact methodology is not. I've tried before and failed.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Using sous vide for that may be common sense, but the exact methodology is not. I've tried before and failed.

To be fair I don't have the issues normal people have because my room temp is usually above 80°F.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

Why don't you sue Kenji for plagiarism, mister fancy pants

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 5, 2014

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

deimos posted:

His advice to agitate the bag is the difference, at least from that article. And yes, a lot of Kenji's food science is well known among food scientists, but the techniques he offers to apply them for the semi-advanced home cook and the well-developed recipes incorporating them are what he brings to the table.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Test Pattern posted:

His advice to agitate the bag is the difference, at least from that article. And yes, a lot of Kenji's food science is well known among food scientists, but the techniques he offers to apply them for the semi-advanced home cook and the well-developed recipes incorporating them are what he brings to the table.

To be 100% clear, my post was a snarky reply specifically to this:

Steve Yun posted:

Why didn't anyone think of this before?

I did not mean to retract from Kenji's article.

Also, if anything the guy who commented last on this article should be the one to sue for plagiarism: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-temper-chocolate.html which is where I got agitation from a month ago when I got the crystal issue for the first time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was just messing with you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

deimos posted:

How do you do crème brûlée and ice cream? The recipes I've seen all call for using sous vide just for the bain-marie. I'm hoping to avoid the stove altogether and make my custard right in the puddle (well, in a ziploc).

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Was it out of the back of some random guys truck?

We'll need a pic to identify

It definitely came out tougher than I'm used to after four or so hours at 131. The intention was to go longer but water had gotten into the bag so

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 6, 2014

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
quote is not edit

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's a chuck steak. It's more of a braising cut than what people conventionally call a steak.

That's more of a 48hr cut than a 4hr cut.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Good to know, thanks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

100 hour oxtail. It's a lot more fat and a lot more gelatin than short ribs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

How was the bag juice and what did you do with it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bag juice is in the fridge, it's dark brown already so I think I'll add a thickener and make a sauce for when I make the rest of this oxtail for my mom this weekend

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Steve Yun posted:

Temperature? Since oxtail is so fatty and I assume the fat didn't really render off much, was it actually pleasant to eat? (This is one of the issues I had with short ribs, too.)

Ultimate Mango posted:

Long post incoming

I'll give this a shot next week, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Choadmaster posted:

Temperature? Since oxtail is so fatty and I assume the fat didn't really render off much, was it actually pleasant to eat? (This is one of the issues I had with short ribs, too.)
140°F. I rendered off the fat with the searzall. It's still... very fat. The meat is wonderful though. I think if I were to do this again I might try 144°F to see if it expels more fat.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Choadmaster posted:

What temp did you do the short ribs? I did some for thanksgiving and tried to cut most of the outside fat off before going into the puddle. 135 for 72 hours then about 45s-1 min on each side in peanut oil and everyone said that it tasted like prime rib. The fat turned into a meat jello and was amazing.

bad picture:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Could anyone recommend me a temp and time for doing short ribs?
Ive seen several guides and its all over the place.
I figured I have 24 hours cooking time available to me. Is that too short or will it be ok? Next time I will for sure try to do this longer say over a weekend, but this time I couldnt get my hands on short ribs early enough to start a super long bath.

Ive seen:

140F for 48 hours
144 for 72 hours
156.2 for 12 hours
160 for 18 hours

The first 2 are out based on time but temperature seemed ok. Im wondering what is the preferred temp though. IS 140 for 24 hours too short?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Decide what sounds best to you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like 144 for 72 hours for bone-in

BTW I found out that the white stains left on my bucket and sous vide were not left behind by water mineral deposits... It's the white paint on the foodsaver bags that you're supposed to write labels on!

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have any sous vide recipe suggestions for potlucks? particularly for meats that can be left out at room temp or served cold (after being cooked and then stuffed in the fridge.)

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

krnhotwings posted:

Does anybody have any sous vide recipe suggestions for potlucks? particularly for meats that can be left out at room temp or served cold (after being cooked and then stuffed in the fridge.)

What about vizzling up a whole bunch of chicken breasts and using them to make chicken salad? Best chicken salad ever.

Speaking of best ever, I made sous vide broccoli for the first time. It was so perfect it drat near brought a tear to my eye.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

Cube up peeled beets, bag with salt, pepper, and thyme, and vizzle for 2 hours @183F. Refrigerate, and just before serving, lightly mix in several globs of chevre.

For more visual pop, you can use a variety of beets, but I'd recommend bagging them with one type per bag, otherwise things like rainbow beets get their color muddied by the red ones.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Plinkey posted:

What temp did you do the short ribs? I did some for thanksgiving and tried to cut most of the outside fat off before going into the puddle. 135 for 72 hours then about 45s-1 min on each side in peanut oil and everyone said that it tasted like prime rib. The fat turned into a meat jello and was amazing.

I tried 72 hours at 133, and it just wasn't pleasant. Too mushy and not the kind of texture you expect. Funny enough, when I find a brisket at 133 everyone also agreed it was just like prime rib - but that was the *problem*. If we wanted prime rib we'd have done prime rib (and I have vizzled a nice prime rib), but brisket should be brisket. After some experimentation we determined that 163 degrees is right for brisket. I haven't gotten around to figuring out my preferred temp for short ribs yet but I suspect it'll be 144 or 150.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm doing pork chops at 61 c and one of them seems to have some air in the vac pouch. Doesn't appear to have sprung a leak or anything- seems more like the chop has just shrunk a bit. They've been goin an hour at this point, probably an hour left before I want to pull them to sear. I figure I'm just going to give this one a sniff and as long as it doesn't smell bad, I'll use it. Is that a recipe for food poisoning?

Edit: smelled fine, eaten, tasted good, not dead yet

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 8, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay I did three batches of oxtail at 100 hours.

First one was great.

The second and third batches however, were FUNKY. Like farts funky. I decided to take the risk of eating it because it smelled slightly different from bacteria funk. After eating it I think something about the 100 hours of sous vide made the meat gamey, more gamey than lamb or anything else I've ever eaten. I'm not sure why one batch wasn't funky and the other two were, but my guess is that the two funkier batches had smaller pieces and more bone.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

RIP Steve Yun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Electric Sugar posted:

What about vizzling up a whole bunch of chicken breasts and using them to make chicken salad? Best chicken salad ever.

Speaking of best ever, I made sous vide broccoli for the first time. It was so perfect it drat near brought a tear to my eye.

What temp for the broccoli? That and sous vide chicken salad sound really good