Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quest For Glory II posted:

The game is probably all too elevated by its visual style to overcome its shortcomings on the gameplay side but I still liked it all the way through. I think the only major problem I really had with the game was that AI doesn't seem to want to listen to you. I don't know how many times I triggered All-Out Defense before a boss's AOE and they decided to keep attacking and get shelled. FF12 perfected this poo poo with Gambits, I just want to program my teammates in every game now.

People bitched and moaned about the game 'playing itself' when FFXII came out, but every game where I've had to babysit some lovely AI would be made 100x better if I could 'program' their AI routines like I did in that game.

corn in the bible posted:

I bought ff132 today so I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat

Well, it's better than the original. I liked it, dumb as it was in many parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
FF12 gambits are basically perfect and it's incredible that they only managed to bleed into Dragon Age Origins and no other RPGs.

The only real issue with FF12's gambit system is that in the regular game, most of them are blocked off by location.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OneDeadman posted:

FF12 gambits are basically perfect and it's incredible that they only managed to bleed into Dragon Age Origins and no other RPGs.

The only real issue with FF12's gambit system is that in the regular game, most of them are blocked off by location.

Being able to buy them early in IZJS is a huge boon to the game in general. I sure hope that gets the HD treatment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FFXII would be twice as good if there were a [if target has item] gambit, that's one thing that was a huge pain and even IZJS didn't fix

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Origins has a Gambit like system? I'm getting DAO and DA2 this Monday (Saturday if I'm really lucky but I'm not holding out hope) and I'm kinda worried about it. I have never actually played a WRPG my whole life. I have played somewhere around 20 JRPGs since i was little but DA will be my first exposure to stuff from the good ol' USofA.

Apparently I should have just gotten Mass Effect but I prefer Fantasy to Sci-Fi on average....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff132 is already better than 13 because hope isn't in it

OneDeadman posted:

It's retarded that important gambits like "when hurt" have to be found in missable chests

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Origins has a Gambit like system? I'm getting DAO and DA2 this Monday (Saturday if I'm really lucky but I'm not holding out hope) and I'm kinda worried about it. I have never actually played a WRPG my whole life. I have played somewhere around 20 JRPGs since i was little but DA will be my first exposure to stuff from the good ol' USofA.

Apparently I should have just gotten Mass Effect but I prefer Fantasy to Sci-Fi on average....

DAO, and DAI, are both really good.

Do not play DA2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Morpheus posted:

People bitched and moaned about the game 'playing itself' when FFXII came out, but every game where I've had to babysit some lovely AI would be made 100x better if I could 'program' their AI routines like I did in that game.

Well, it's better than the original. I liked it, dumb as it was in many parts.

How is FF133 WAIFU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The problem is that FFXII isn't deep enough to make it interesting. Unlike even DA:O, there is extremely little to the core combat system and positioning is only important in a handful of fights. It takes the automation and combines it with such a simple combat system that it actually does end up playing itself.

I mean no FF combat system is complex except maybe FFV (and even there it's more width instead of depth.). Automating it to that degree just emphasizes how little there is to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would rather the game played itself than mentally shout at my TV "WHY ARE YOU CASTING FIRAGA AT AN ENEMY WITH FIRE RESISTANCE AND YOUR HP IS 0005/4000"

Ni No Kuni had that. Plenty.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DAO, and DAI, are both really good.

Do not play DA2.

DA2's combat is okay but is brought down hard by a lot of problems like if you're a two handed warrior and knock an enemy back (either by using an ability or just by attacking it normally from a distance which causes your character to charge) your character will just stand in place as their target is now too far away, and positioning beyond "don't let people melee your archer/mage" and "stay in range of the healer" doesn't really matter.

Story-wise though DA2 is worthless. Some side quests are okay but the main plot and most side quests are garbage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DA2's core combat *mechanics* are okay but the encounter design is hosed. You kill a dozen guys, then the other dozen of them pop up behind you, then a third dozen pop up when you kill those guys. It's like playing Dynasty Warriors PSP.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meh, isn't Origins just about a big demon and stopping it and saving the world? Sound spretty stock fantasy fare. I guess there is a bit of ASOIAF thrown in there with the whole Loghain mess but it still boils down to a personality-less thing of evil is gonna kill everyone so kill it and yay.

I do not expect to be "wowed" by either DA plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DAO's plot isn't great but it's executed okay and has its moments. It's pretty stock, but things become tropes for a reason.

DA2's plot is just a fat wad of nothing. A whole lot of wet fart noises for 90% of the game, you run around the same five caves for 50 hours, and then a church blows up and a bunch of idiots kill each other. Nothing of consequence happens at any point. At least things happen in DAOs' plot, even if they're cliche.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that FFXII isn't deep enough to make it interesting. Unlike even DA:O, there is extremely little to the core combat system and positioning is only important in a handful of fights. It takes the automation and combines it with such a simple combat system that it actually does end up playing itself.

I mean no FF combat system is complex except maybe FFV (and even there it's more width instead of depth.). Automating it to that degree just emphasizes how little there is to it.

I'd be fine with FF12 if it didn't borrow the superficial story elements (that is, the political stuff in the background) from FFT without any of things that made them good (that is, the characters involved in these politics that you actually cared about). It all simply felt bland as hell, cue ending generic theme song and happily ever after.

NikkolasKing posted:

Meh, isn't Origins just about a big demon and stopping it and saving the world? Sound spretty stock fantasy fare. I guess there is a bit of ASOIAF thrown in there with the whole Loghain mess but it still boils down to a personality-less thing of evil is gonna kill everyone so kill it and yay.

I do not expect to be "wowed" by either DA plot.

Bioware writing is a cliche onto itself. It's a matter of taste, I guess, but after so many playthroughs of BG2 I simply couldn't handle dealing with yet another stock Bioware personality and uninstalled DA:O soon after meeting with Alistair (which confirmed my fears) and figuring out the non-combat parts would mostly consist of copy-paste real-time-with-pause-quaff-potions-repeat encounters.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 5, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wasn't too crazy about Origins when I played it, although the amount of storyline variation that can come out of the choices you make during events like the Landsmeet is pretty impressive. Interestingly enough, Dragon Age became a lot more interesting to me once I began playing Inquisition, because you spend more time outside of Ye Olde Generic Fantasie Settinge and there is some good balance to the environments. DA2 I didn't play and didn't feel like I missed that much for skipping it while doing DA:I.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Due to being an overachiever in junior high/high school, I skipped straight from the SNES to the PS2, so I missed out on the vast majority of PSX games. I've finally got some time to play some of the monstrous PSX-era games, so what do I absolutely owe it to myself to play?

I will say that I have played through all the FF PSX games (including Tactics) and Suikoden 1 & 2. Oh, also Koudelka because what is wrong with me. I'm not at all opposed to playing games that feel a little dated and I have a fairly high anime tolerance, if that matters for this era.

On an unrelated note, I lurk the thread occasionally, and I can't remember ever seeing any discussion about one of my hands-down favorte games: Lufia 2. Is it a much worse game than I remember it being, or is it just that uncommon?

Edit: I also played a lot of Persona 2, and don't care to go back to it.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lufia 2 rules and it still holds up incredibly well. Just one of those cult classics that would probably get a lot more love if all those sequels didn't suck.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Due to being an overachiever in junior high/high school, I skipped straight from the SNES to the PS2, so I missed out on the vast majority of PSX games. I've finally got some time to play some of the monstrous PSX-era games, so what do I absolutely owe it to myself to play?

I will say that I have played through all the FF PSX games (including Tactics) and Suikoden 1 & 2. Oh, also Koudelka because what is wrong with me. I'm not at all opposed to playing games that feel a little dated and I have a fairly high anime tolerance, if that matters for this era.

On an unrelated note, I lurk the thread occasionally, and I can't remember ever seeing any discussion about one of my hands-down favorte games: Lufia 2. Is it a much worse game than I remember it being, or is it just that uncommon?

If you liked Suikoden check out Saga Frontier 2, its similar thematically and also has really gorgeous 2d art.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

I've finally got some time to play some of the monstrous PSX-era games, so what do I absolutely owe it to myself to play?

My top three discounting stuff you've already played? Star Ocean 2, Threads of Fate, and Vangaurd Bandits. Check out everything in the Squaresoft and Working Designs libraries, there's enough that you can afford to pick and choose.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh, also Koudelka because what is wrong with me.

Absolutely nothing. :colbert:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Star Ocean 2, Threads of Fate, and Vangaurd Bandits.

I would not have expected these three. I love the idea of SO2, I wish there were more sci-fi jrpgs out there. Maybe I'll tackle this next.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lufia is just kind of an obscure series. There's a decent amount of love for 1 and 2, at least, if you know where to look.

Also:

Wild Arms 1
Legend of Dragoon
Breath of Fire IV (3 is okay too, but 4 is the best)
Valkyrie Profile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Lufia 2 is awesome, it just tends to be overshadowed by being the only really good one in the series.

I'd say give Valkyrie Profile, Lunar/Lunar 2 and Wild Arms 1 a shot.

Edit: Also Lufia 2's remake loving suuuucked.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MockingQuantum posted:

Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Cross, and Grandia.

Star Ocean 2 has a cooking game so it's the best of those four and any other suggested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Eternia is good, too. It's called Tales of Destiny II in the US. It's got a pretty fun real-time combat system, a neat magic system, and voice acting that's so bad it's hilarious. The main character sounds like he doesn't care at all about what's going on, and I'm 99% sure the guy who voiced Dracula in Symphony of the Night is in there somewhere.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Phantasium posted:

Not many games had losing to the final boss as the canon ending.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I have to say I regret nothing in playing this game. A friend of mine bought it when I was in 8th grade or something like that, and we played through almost the entire game in one weekend. I loved it, largely because it was the only RPG at the time with horror elements, or at least the only one I knew of. I suppose you could argue that Parasite Eve had some horror elements.

Also when I got around to playing Shadow Hearts my mind was totally blown.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Tales of Eternia is good, too. It's called Tales of Destiny II in the US. It's got a pretty fun real-time combat system, a neat magic system, and voice acting that's so bad it's hilarious. The main character sounds like he doesn't care at all about what's going on, and I'm 99% sure the guy who voiced Dracula in Symphony of the Night is in there somewhere.

And also there's one character whose VA's only job was to shout "YEAH!!!!!!" at something like fifty different levels of enthusiasm.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition is probably the best game Bioware has done in a long time — it keeps a lot of the things that they do well but makes some departures from formula in interesting ways. The characters in particular subvert your expectations of WRPG tropes and are consistently well written. It's not a perfect game though: they actually drop a lot of the Gambit system elements so you have to babysit your npcs a lot more than you did in the first one, which sucks because the combat is more fluid and fun in other ways.

DA2 is really inconsequential and probably could have been a DLC for as much story as it has.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

High anime tolerance, wishing there were more sci-fi JRPGs, and checking out PS1 titles.

Try Xenogears.

One of the best JRPG soundtracks ever.

And...a lot of other more subjective things. Still, give it a try.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Most of what I'd recommended has already been said, but I'm going to throw in a suggestion to play Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. They're pretty archaic in gameplay terms, but they're still very good games. Only problem is that while EP came over to the US back in the actual PSX era, IS was only ever released as a PSP remake. (and then we never got the EP remake in the US) They can both stand on their own, but they're a lot better together. I'm pretty sure they're both on PSN, so tracking them down shouldn't be too hard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Please play Xenogears, a cool RPG for cool people.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Breath of Fire IV (3 is okay too, but 4 is the best)

I unironically love Breath of Fire 2 in all its awful translationy goodness. Do 3 and 4 get any more serious, or are they similarly as ridiculous? And are there character fusions?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 has its goofy moments but it's super serious by the end. That game gets downright dark in places, but it's actually executed pretty well. 3 is a little sillier, from what I remember, but it's been ages since I played it. 3 has fusions, but not 4.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Please play Xenogears, a cool RPG for cool people.

My only experience with Xenogears is having a friend tell me about it regularly when he was playing through it right after it came out. He went from "man this game is amazing" to "what the gently caress just happened on the last disc" or something similar. I've always been curious. Plus giant robots, can't go wrong.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MockingQuantum posted:

I unironically love Breath of Fire 2 in all its awful translationy goodness. Do 3 and 4 get any more serious, or are they similarly as ridiculous? And are there character fusions?
BoF3 engulfed my childhood from ages like 10-13, so I'm probably not impartial about it, but I really liked it. It has the lovely Capcom translation problem of "what even is DrnSH, what is that" but most of the characters are great and it's a fun little RPG.

I literally cried actual tears at a point near the end of BoF4. Granted, I was 15, but that game hits you where it hurts.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MockingQuantum posted:

He went from "man this game is amazing" to "what the gently caress just happened on the last disc" or something similar.
The last disc has hours of characters narrating the plot over powerpoint slideshows in an empty room. It's like modern theatre.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The real answer is that everyone should play Beyond the Beyond, the best and original jrpg for the psx.

know my pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I really like Breath of Fire 3. It is a little silly and fairly lighthearted for most of the game, but for me that's one of its strengths. It's not a big, grand "save the world" narrative until like 3/4ths of the way into the game, it's just about an orphan kid trying to find out who he is and where he fits in the world. I also really like the skill system, but obviously it's greatly improved upon in Breath of Fire IV. You might be a little put off if you want something a little more epic and hero's journey-like, though — Ryu spends most of the game just sort of being tossed around by events before he finally starts to take charge as an adult.