Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Don't worry, guys. The Costco run will mean he'll be slightly under his absolutely arbitrary budget this month, so he'll feel good about progress.

It's almost as if disappearing out of guilt causes one to become unaccountable and therefore more likely to keep spiralling. Who could possibly have predicted this? Absolutely nobody, because he's a special snowflake.

Criminey. I almost hope this is some epic multi-year Kaufman-esque performance art piece. SloMo is actually a CPA based out of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
After seeing that hobby slomo has to be a troll right?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

poopzilla posted:

The new hobby is actually loving. Prostitutes are pricey in NYC.
He lives in Seattle, not NYC.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Move into a shack, buy a crock pot, and spend your free time watching netflix and you'll be debt free in like 2 months.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

spwrozek posted:

He has made progress and feels OK about it. Had an outside chance to be done this year. Also he had provided good entertainment to the thread.

Just because he didn't go rice and beans diet doesn't mean he is a failure.

Well don't you look like an rear end in a top hat now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
He's at about 0.9 Zaurgs right now: December could see a new champ in the arena!

Go man, go!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

SloMo you're poo poo.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Veskit posted:

Don't forget this one.

Not a Children posted:

This thread is getting to be just one-note antagonism and it's really not conducive to producing results or comedy

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Cicero posted:

He lives in Seattle, not NYC.

whoops, why the gently caress did i think that. Admittedly, whores are cheaper in the PNW but my post still stands.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

I got a new hobby, surprise it's more opera druuuugs

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If I had to guess about the hobby its either snowboarding or mountain climbing. If he doesn't tell us its probably prostitutes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Maybe he bought a tanning bed to have Unlimited Tanning at home too.

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster

Cicero posted:

I'm curious as to what "Misc EOY doc visits" means. Is that the therapist?

pretty sure that means end of year for insurance reason or w/e

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Grizlor posted:

Move into a shack, buy a crock pot, and spend your free time watching netflix and you'll be debt free in like 2 months.

This is the best advice you could take right now.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
lmao

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I guess the only way you can have an end of year visit be different from a normal one is if you're burning the last of some insurance money on the table that's gone soon and was something you kind of need done anyway. Like getting a mole removed or something.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The hobby is dealing drugs. How else would he put $1500 in "sales" when he made no mention of selling anything.

Edit: serious post. He's admitted doing it before.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

paperchaseguy posted:

number of months before slo-mo went back into credit card debt: 1

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thread delivers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Alright I'm going to treat this like it's a normal thread :shepface:

You spent more than you earned this month. That's the only rule you need to follow to not poo poo up your finances. The thing that sent it over? Your "new hobby". If you applied the other basic financial rule of save up for things so you can buy them your finances wouldn't be in the shitter. Fact is you can't afford a new hobby.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
:bang:

Four hundred and one...

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
SolMo you could be putting away upwards of $10K a year with no measurable impact on your quality of life and you still manage to be in debt somehow you retarded oval office

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

Yes I do.

I really try to pull for the guy but he really knows how to betray my faith.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Yes I do.

This is BFC, the only person you're supposed to have faith in is Jack Boggle, peace be upon Him.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Breetai posted:

He's at about 0.9 Zaurgs right now: December could see a new champ in the arena!

Go man, go!

You might be misremembering that thread. Slomo is substantially better off than Zaurg was.

Zaurg was being bled dry by his wife, both financially and emotionally and things kept getting worse. He owned a condo that he was under water on, and his wife insisted on a bigger home, while possibly loving the realtor. He also had a kid with this woman. On top of all of this, he was in serious denial about most of it and/or did not seem emotionally equipped to deal with it.

Slomo actually divorced his abusive wife, and does not have a kid with her. Believe it or not, he actually has over 10k less debt than he did in the OP. If he improves his habits to a reasonable spending levels, as he has shown he is capable of some months, he could really improve his financial life. Obviously, he has squandered many opportunities to manage debt and increase his net worth, and I can't really understand how basic discipline escapes him.

I can't imagine anyone who would take Zaurg's life over Slomo's, financially or personally. A guy that just needs to work more and spend less is not a Zaurg level case at all.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Let me look into my dipshit crystal ball...expensive photography is your new hobby isn't it?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

District Selectman posted:

Let me look into my dipshit crystal ball...expensive photography is your new hobby isn't it?

I'm going for astronomy or cycling.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Yes I do.

Ignoring 401k's, HSA's, etc. Let's do a comparison

Thread Start July 2013. 1.5 years

Debt Start: $29,939
Checking: $3,942

1.5 years later.

Debt: $13,100
Checking: $3,200

Net Impact: +$16,097

Comparatively let's look at BFC's love child Knyteguy.

Thread Start November 2013. ~ 1 year

His is somewhat harder to tell because he's updated his OP a few times, but roughly (based on a December 2013 Post):

Debt Start: $31,822
Checking: $1,486

1 year later.

Debt: $34,288
Checking: $4,643

Net Impact: +$691

This also ignores the debt he has in collections since I'm not sure if the balance changed due to interest.

Someone check my math?

EDIT: Not defending Slow Motion, but let's at least be fair. He could definitely be even better off if he could just reign in his compulsive spending.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I hope it's this.

Bugamol posted:

He could definitely be even better off if he could just reign in his compulsive spending.
This entire thread in a nutshell, repeated forever.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

This entire thread in a nutshell, repeated forever.

I don't disagree, but he has made significant strides towards wiping out his debt. And yet gets blasted for it every month because of his nonchalant attitude.

Knyteguy on the other hand has made no visible impact to his debt and has a child on the way. And yet gets mostly praised for it every month because he comes in bashful and a "I'll try harder next month guys!" attitude.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bugamol posted:

Knyteguy has had plenty of criticism in his thread, people just laugh more at SloMo because he spends on more frivolous things and tends to be utterly unrepentant about any and all bad financial decisions.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bugamol posted:

Ignoring 401k's, HSA's, etc. Let's do a comparison

Thread Start July 2013. 1.5 years

Debt Start: $29,939
Checking: $3,942

1.5 years later.

Debt: $13,100
Checking: $3,200

Net Impact: +$16,097

Thread Start November 2013. ~ 1 year

His is somewhat harder to tell because he's updated his OP a few times, but roughly (based on a December 2013 Post):

Debt Start: $31,822
Checking: $1,486

1 year later.

Debt: $34,288
Checking: $4,643

Net Impact: +$691

This also ignores the debt he has in collections since I'm not sure if the balance changed due to interest.

Someone check my math?

EDIT: Not defending Slow Motion, but let's at least be fair. He could definitely be even better off if he could just reign in his compulsive spending.

This was basically my earlier point. He has at last done something to improve but has faltered at times. But he also is fine with messing up because the needle keeps moving the right direction.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I don't disagree, but he has made significant strides towards wiping out his debt. And yet gets blasted for it every month because of his nonchalant attitude.

Knyteguy on the other hand has made no visible impact to his debt and has a child on the way. And yet gets mostly praised for it every month because he comes in bashful and a "I'll try harder next month guys!" attitude.

You keep saying this, and you also say "well ignoring a large percentage of Knyteguy's savings (~$3500 in the past 4 months) and also his Paypal account with hundreds of dollars...". But then you also admit to this just a couple weeks ago:

Bugamol posted:

Well that explains my confusion. You're doing much better off than I thought. I apologize for wasting your time explaining it to me. That's what I get with not reading every post in the thread when work got hectic.

EDIT: I blame the fact that you stopped using my excel template. :lol:

And Rurutia called you out on saying pretty much exactly this same thing.

And that's also ignoring not only the fact that Slo Mo has been doing this longer, but also that there's quite an income disparity between us. So uh yea, "bashful" when I've had 5 months of progress. And like Cicero said it's not like anyone takes it easy on me in there anyway.

I don't care if you want to call me out, but don't put a bunch of "well ignoring this..." statements in there if you're going to.

Edit and I also realize that you're trying to show Slow Motion's progress rather than my down falls as your point here, but it's still not cool to do it that way without presenting all of the data.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I don't care if you want to call me out, but don't put a bunch of "well ignoring this..." statements in there if you're going to.

I can't remember if you or your wife contribute to a 401k was one of the reasons I ignored HSA/401k/etc on both. If you don't and Slow Motion does that actually puts you further behind when compared to Slow Motion since he contributes on a monthly basis.

You are doing much better off than I thought you were.

However you are not doing better off than Slow Motion. Whereas he gets most of the grief from the forums.

You absolutely get your fair share of bashing, however you have a decent crowd of BFC regulars who stand up for you. Slow Motion does not.

The "he makes more than me" is a pretty lovely excuse and opens up a ton more "cans of worms". Slow Motion also doesn't have a child on the way. Slow Motion is also single. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I was essentially trying to ignore all of that and just do a straight up comparison on progress against debt.

EDIT: From a purely objective standpoint Slow Motion gets an unequal amount of hate from the BFC crowd. That's all I was trying to point out. It was not meant to be an attack on anyone personally.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

81sidewinder posted:

Slomo actually divorced his abusive wife, and does not have a kid with her.
For now! Still a possibility.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Tell us what the hobby is geez.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I can't remember if you or your wife contribute to a 401k was one of the reasons I ignored HSA/401k/etc on both. If you don't and Slow Motion does that actually puts you further behind when compared to Slow Motion since he contributes on a monthly basis.

You are doing much better off than I thought you were.

However you are not doing better off than Slow Motion. Whereas he gets most of the grief from the forums.

You absolutely get your fair share of bashing, however you have a decent crowd of BFC regulars who stand up for you. Slow Motion does not.

The "he makes more than me" is a pretty lovely excuse and opens up a ton more "cans of worms". Slow Motion also doesn't have a child on the way. Slow Motion is also single. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I was essentially trying to ignore all of that and just do a straight up comparison on progress against debt.

I know. I added a little edit after my post which may have not been there when you hit post. We contribute like 80% of all of my wife's paychecks to HSA.

You're right that Slow Motion isn't in the same financial situation as me, so him being single means he can feasibly do more since he doesn't have to support a pregnant wife and soon a baby, especially since he makes more than me right? I personally think he's doing better than everyone is giving him credit for too. It's his attitude towards it all that everyone gets mad about. Gonna step out here.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Tell us what the hobby is geez.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
SloMo is a bad person on the inside, I think is what the difference is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

moana posted:

SloMo is a bad person on the inside, I think is what the difference is.

This is probably the right answer.

They both have pros and cons.

Slow Motion could theoretically lose his job (but also claims to be able to get a new one relatively quickly if this happened, I don't know his job market)

Knyteguy has a child on the way + supporting a fleet of animals.

Etc.

• Locked thread