Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking about that - I just saw that DS9 episode a few days ago. It irrationally irritates me that seemingly nothing is done about the fact that an innocent person was subjected to that. To summarize: A major character is punished for a crime he didn't do with 20 years of mind prison by some other race, which was carried out before Starfleet could know or intervene, and the effect can't be reversed.

They pretty much shrug their shoulders and go home and the episode is focused on the character coping and dealing with the experience. While I understand that's the focus subject of the episode, the fact that there was seemingly no repercussions to the people who did it kinda bugs me.

It was O'Brien and in an enlisted man so they did not care. They also knew god hated O'Brien so something bad was going to happen to him no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I literally laughed so hard I cried when they introduced THE LOOM in Wanted. What a fantastic train wreck of a film.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wanted is great what are you talking about. The only irritating thing is that the mad Russian rat bomber died.

Edit: and the main character isnt called Bobbin Threadbare :v:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Elderbean posted:

I literally laughed so hard I cried when they introduced THE LOOM in Wanted. What a fantastic train wreck of a film.

All I could think about was

and laughed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wanted is great what are you talking about. The only irritating thing is that the mad Russian rat bomber died.

So you stopped watching five minutes before the end, then? The final scene of that movie requires literally every character other than Wesley to be a complete moron.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking about that - I just saw that DS9 episode a few days ago. It irrationally irritates me that seemingly nothing is done about the fact that an innocent person was subjected to that. To summarize: A major character is punished for a crime he didn't do with 20 years of mind prison by some other race, which was carried out before Starfleet could know or intervene, and the effect can't be reversed.

They pretty much shrug their shoulders and go home and the episode is focused on the character coping and dealing with the experience. While I understand that's the focus subject of the episode, the fact that there was seemingly no repercussions to the people who did it kinda bugs me.

It was a political statement about the US justice system.

never seen it but

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elderbean posted:

That movie was legitimately good until they introduce the conflict. Some schlub finds his secret strength, how cathartic for the viewer until the stupidest story ever unfolds

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That movie made me bust out laughing in First Class when Magneto CURVED THE BULLET and nailed Xavier in the spine.

God Wanted was just a shitfest film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

That movie was legitimately good until they introduce the conflict. Some schlub finds his secret strength, how cathartic for the viewer until the stupidest story ever unfolds

You should read the comic. The movie is 100 times better than that poo poo feast.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Realizing that Chris Pratt plays douchey best friend in Wanted was kind of mind-blowing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Realizing that Chris Pratt plays douchey best friend in Wanted was kind of mind-blowing.

Professor X's reaction to the box office and critical acclaim this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Its always kind of nuts seeing some "before they were famous" parts. Like Tom Hardy plays the scrawny young Picard clone in Star Trek: Nemesis.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

muscles like this? posted:

Its always kind of nuts seeing some "before they were famous" parts. Like Tom Hardy plays 7th Ranger SPC Lance Twombly in Black Hawk Down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bobkatt013 posted:

Professor X's reaction to the box office and critical acclaim this year.

Professor X why you do that to Star Lord? :saddowns:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Non Serviam posted:

There was some discussion about The Walking Dead before, so let's bring that back.
In the mid season finale, Beth dies a completely pointless death. It honestly feels like they just had a cast that was too big and decided to kill SOMEONE. It was such a stupid thing to do, what did she think was going to happen if she stabbed the cop lady? Even in the best case scenario, shots would be fired and maybe some of her friends would be killed.
Also the fact that she got shot so perfectly is stupid.

Finally, the lesbian girl is a completely pointless character.

What I took away from all that was Beth didn't want the cop to get away with all the poo poo she'd done and stabbed her as a roundabout suicide attempt knowing the cop would shoot her then Rick & Co. would shoot back. She didn't want to let them off scott free, even if it meant her friends being in a firefight in the middle of a crowded hallway. But gently caress if I know. I only put that show on as background noise, so I literally pay about as much attention to it as the writers do.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

First is a more general thing that's been around for a while but seems to be showing up more nowadays. Big epic army battle scenes in fantasy movies that are between the hero that suddenly realizes they are royalty/become inspired to lead the people against the evil wizard or whatever the hell. There is no drat point in them other than to look at some CGI for about 15-20 minutes as the hero fights their way up to the bad guy where defeating them means they win the war, no matter how terribly their own army was losing beforehand of course.

The specific thing that bothers me is whenever people don't wear helmets in situations where you'd want them, this also kind of ties into the big battle scene moments where everybody get's to wear a protective helmet instead of the protagonists because you need to be able to see their faces.

OR if they try to turn it around and pretend that some random dude in a helmet get's taken out and SURPRISE BAD GUY IT WASEN"T ACTUALLY WHO YOU THOUGHT IT WAS!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lotish posted:

Professor X why you do that to Star Lord? :saddowns:

Professor X is a jerk!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

First is a more general thing that's been around for a while but seems to be showing up more nowadays. Big epic army battle scenes in fantasy movies that are between the hero that suddenly realizes they are royalty/become inspired to lead the people against the evil wizard or whatever the hell. There is no drat point in them other than to look at some CGI for about 15-20 minutes as the hero fights their way up to the bad guy where defeating them means they win the war, no matter how terribly their own army was losing beforehand of course.

The specific thing that bothers me is whenever people don't wear helmets in situations where you'd want them, this also kind of ties into the big battle scene moments where everybody get's to wear a protective helmet instead of the protagonists because you need to be able to see their faces.

OR if they try to turn it around and pretend that some random dude in a helmet get's taken out and SURPRISE BAD GUY IT WASEN"T ACTUALLY WHO YOU THOUGHT IT WAS!

That and detectives suddenly acting as SWAT operatives.

But they still only use their service pistol, always lead the charge into a suspect's house and they never any kind of armor other than a simple vest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

That and detectives suddenly acting as SWAT operatives.

But they still only use their service pistol, always lead the charge into a suspect's house and they never any kind of armor other than a simple vest.

CSIs breaking down doors with a pistol while uniformed and sometimes SWAT geared guys wait to see if the coast is clear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trent posted:

CSIs breaking down doors with a pistol while uniformed and sometimes SWAT geared guys wait to see if the coast is clear.

"It's okay, guys; I know how CQB works: I play a lot of SWAT 4 while I wait for tissue cultures in the lab."

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Lotish posted:

"It's okay, guys; I know how CQB works: I play a lot of SWAT 4 while I wait for tissue cultures in the lab."

If only cop shows/movies used SWAT 4 as a resource. Blowing open an unlocked door with explosives, storming into a house and indiscriminately blasting everyone in sight with a beanbag shotgun would be quite a scene.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Kalos posted:

If only cop shows/movies used SWAT 4 as a resource. Blowing open an unlocked door with explosives, storming into a house and indiscriminately blasting everyone in sight with a beanbag shotgun paintball gun that makes you cough would be quite a scene.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I have problems watching NCIS whenever they talk about anything remotely technical. It always annoys me that even after working together for several years, McGee still has to explain everything to Tony. Learn something through osmosis, drat it! Be more than just a PE teacher!

Kalos posted:

If only cop shows/movies used SWAT 4 as a resource. Blowing open an unlocked door with explosives, storming into a house and indiscriminately blasting everyone in sight with a beanbag shotgun a 40mm flashbang to the groin would be quite a scene.

But really, you could say that for all the guns in SWAT 4.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching an episode of Law & Order from 95 and they were supposed to be using a BBS but it was obviously just a word program.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bbcisdabomb posted:

I have problems watching NCISany show ever whenever they talk about anything remotely technical.

Sometimes, it's because you can't really get the point across to layman audiences without simplifying it to a ridiculous degree. Other times, they're creating a GUI in visual basic to track a killer's IP address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Its always kind of nuts seeing some "before they were famous" parts. Like Tom Hardy plays the scrawny young Picard clone in Star Trek: Nemesis.

Considering his career trajectory, it always surprises me that Seth Rogen debuted in Donnie Darko.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Jedit posted:

Considering his career trajectory, it always surprises me that Seth Rogen debuted in Donnie Darko.

Freaks and Geeks?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Morpheus posted:

Sometimes, it's because you can't really get the point across to layman audiences without simplifying it to a ridiculous degree. Other times, they're creating a GUI in visual basic to track a killer's IP address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

There's the real problem I have with it. In the same show, they'll have a character spout off "geek speak" for something plausible and simple and have to "translate to English" for laymen...then they pretend that doing something as complex and dangerous as breaching the multiple firewalls of the Pentagon via a botnet (to get at records that should be air gapped) is a simple task that just requires more monitors than Swordfish, and that tracking that exact process can be done with a ready-made GUI that's exactly the same as the one the hacker is using that shows a graphical representation with pretty explosions every time one is breached. The impossible is easy (and is usually explained in simple terms), but the simple can't be explained properly the first time around?

"Yeah, I converted my car to cold fusion the other night."
"Oh, cool!"
"Had to buy some of the parts on eBay. My credit card is maxed."
"What is this...'e-boy' of which you speak? For that matter, what is a 'cray-det curd'?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trent posted:

I was just watching some Fringe on recommendation and it's really bad with this. At least Olivia is an actual agent and not a science nerd, but still she always charges in while geared SWAT guys follow her lead. Also her not-FBI sidekick is also always present and has free reign on the crime scenes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

I was just watching some Fringe on recommendation and it's really bad with this. At least Olivia is an actual agent and not a science nerd, but still she always charges in while geared SWAT guys follow her lead. Also her not-FBI sidekick is also always present and has free reign on the crime scenes.

The best advice I can give you is to watch Fringe for John Noble's amazing performance as Walter Bishop and ignore everything else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

That is the very least of Fringe's issues. At least the "external consultant" explanation seems remotely plausible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KozmoNaut posted:

The best advice I can give you is to watch Fringe for John Noble's amazing performance as Walter Bishop and ignore everything else.

I gave up on Fringe in season 1 when it turned out that every single case ended up involving a derivative of some form of technology/research that Walter had invented decades earlier before he got committed.

"Hey Walter somebody robbed a bank today by literally teleporting the money out of the vault."
"Oh hey I just remembered I made that teleporter!"
"Oh okay, well we gotta get over to a murder scene first, they used some kind of miniature drone technology to go up the guy's nasal cavity and take control of his brain and force him to commit the murders."
"Oh hey, I invented that stuff too! Man I was busy that summer."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

On film maybe, but Freaks and Geeks is far more in line with what he would go on to do, and involved many people he would frequently work with.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I gave up on Fringe in season 1 when it turned out that every single case ended up involving a derivative of some form of technology/research that Walter had invented decades earlier before he got committed.

"Hey Walter somebody robbed a bank today by literally teleporting the money out of the vault."
"Oh okay, well we gotta get over to a murder scene first, they used some kind of miniature drone technology to go up the guy's nasal cavity and take control of his brain and force him to commit the murders."

You did not even get to the twist? There is a reason that he is involved with all of those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

That is actually the overarching story. The bad guys for the first season are using a book Walter wrote back in the 70s called "Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie" or "Destruction Through Technological Progress."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I also gave up on Fringe at that point. Then I ungave up on it at a friend's recommendation, and if you want the first three seasons on Blu you can have them cheap because I just bought the complete box set.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, Fringe starts as a 'monster of the week' show and eventually stumbles into something more focused. It's weird.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Its always kind of nuts seeing some "before they were famous" parts. Like Tom Hardy nailing some Dutch chick in Band of Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That is actually the overarching story. The bad guys for the first season are using a book Walter wrote back in the 70s called "Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie" or "Destruction Through Technological Progress."

Yeah that kind of explains it but doesn't make most of the first season retroactively less boring. Anyway, I do have more complaints about too but I'll keep those for TV IV.