Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Yeah, "scouting" your opponent would be going through past tournament results to get a feel for whether they consistently play the same deck or trying to pick up on patterns in how they build decks that you can exploit. Pulling that off successfully involves skill and public information. There's a reason LSV and others called what Dezani did "spying" and there's a reason why spying has a universally negative connotation outside of the realm of being a literal government-employed spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That is also against the NFL by-laws. I don't quite understand what argument you think I'm dodging.

Unfortunately, this is collusion. I imagine it is also legitimately illegal for a number of reasons.

Not only do I play in Seattle, I play at your LGS; better make sure to reveal those morphs. "JUDGE!"

i like how you got mad at someone calling you autistic and still are posting in an autistic way, by which I mean like fishmech

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

this looks like MJ

it's Trey Van Cleave

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

forbidden lesbian posted:

i like how you got mad at someone calling you autistic and still are posting in an autistic way, by which I mean like fishmech

I would be indignant right now if I had any clue what that means.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 5, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

I would be indignant right now if I had any clue what that means.

Just shut up now and go spy on the little kid that always beats you at the FNM tonight by peeking through his window and watching him goldfish. You will beat that little motherfucker one day! I believe in you.

Now go and do what needs to be done you future pro wizard poker player you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy gently caress shut up

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there day 1 standings up yet?

Also,

GonSmithe posted:

Holy gently caress shut up

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

Are there day 1 standings up yet?

Also,

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2014WMC/r7standings

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
all this stuff is just another reason why all major events should be played on MODO with PC's back to back ;-)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

all this stuff is just another reason why all major events should be played on MODO with PC's back to back ;-)

I'd like to hear LSV's commentary to his own Pro Tour matches as he plays them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd like to hear LSV's commentary to his own Pro Tour matches as he plays them.

He got to do this at GP Portland earlier this year, actually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If they held the Pro Tour on MODO, I have a feeling someone would enter using Kenny McCormick's special invite for his Cock Magic championship.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/protour/frf/invitations

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

If they held the Pro Tour on MODO, I have a feeling someone would enter using Kenny McCormick's special invite for his Cock Magic championship.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/protour/frf/invitations

On stream last night Paul Cheon seemed actually annoyed that Kenny got an invite and he didnt.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
If I have an effect that lets me cast sorceries at instant speeds (Hypersonic Dragon say) and an ability that says "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" (Sadistic Hypnotist) does that interaction work the way I want it to?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gensuki posted:

If I have an effect that lets me cast sorceries at instant speeds (Hypersonic Dragon say) and an ability that says "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" (Sadistic Hypnotist) does that interaction work the way I want it to?

No. That phrasing is shorthand for "during your main phase, while the stack is empty." It doesn't have anything to do with actual sorceries.

e: haha, I win

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 6, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Gensuki posted:

No, a thing that lets you cast sorceries as if they were instants won't extend to other sorcery-speed things. "Activate this any time you could cast a sorcery" is just shorthand for "You can only use this on your main phase when the stack is empty".

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nope!

E:f,b

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Much in the same way that old printings of Future Sight that say "You may play/cast the top card of your deck as if it were in your hand" does not lets you basically dump your deck onto the field if you have Omniscience in play.

...I did not know that at first, nor did anyone else in the EDH game I was playing at the time. Whoops.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Posing with asscracks isnt in the rulebook and look what happened to that guy

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Does devotion count the mana cost of bestowed enchantments?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Enchantments are permanents that are on the battlefield, so yes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Awesome Andy posted:

Does devotion count the mana cost of bestowed enchantments?

They are permanents, so yes, however, they only count the number in the upper right, not what you actually paid to bestow it. There are only 2 cards that have a different devotion count on their CMC and the Bestow cost, however, Crystalline Nautilus and Hypnotic Siren. Every other card has the same devotion count either way.

The CMC of a Bestow aura never changes even if you pay an alternate cost to cast it as an aura since alternative costs do not change the CMC, just what the player paid to cast it. You can counter Hypnotic Siren with Mental Misstep even when the bestow cost of 7 is paid.

Tonetta posted:

Posing with asscracks isnt in the rulebook and look what happened to that guy

:can:

I don't recall there being a lot of agreement around here as to Crackgate, either.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 6, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Uh anyone who doesn't think it's hilarious needs to get the gently caress out

Now whether or not WotC was smart for banning the guy is another matter entirely and is actually a legit (but super boring and stupid) topic for debate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, regardless of what you think of asscrack gate that falls under 'was he being a dick or not', that's nowhere near cheating to win in what amounts to the closest this game of cardboard for children can have to 'serious stakes'.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My friends are all on a new deck for the open tomorrow... Mantis Whip!?!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I was traveling all day. WTF happened for the US team to only have 12 points?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does it splash green for Caryatid, Courser, and Rhino?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

4-Color Midrange without Green is totally worth it to include two cards that have zero synergy together.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

qbert posted:

4-Color Midrange without Green is totally worth it to include two cards that have zero synergy together.

Those cards are literally trying to do the opposite things, i support this 100%

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mantis as a 2BB flightning bolt? How well does that work?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think it has chromanticore in the board too. :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cactrot posted:

Mantis as a 2BB flightning bolt? How well does that work?

Technically it's a Flightning Helix.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chamale posted:

Technically it's a Flightning Helix.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think it has chromanticore in the board too. :allears:

You're right, and I love this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Chromantis, clearly.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You think that's hot, wait until you see the Abzan Delver deck I've got for modern.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Posting to vent re: losing a tight game 3 vs mono red because Wizards thinks it's cute or whatever not to have updated Exalted Angel to just have freakin lifelink (didn't misplay because of it, just cast it and died to a fresh Hellrider off the top with enough triggers to take me to 1 life, and 2 more attackers than I had blockers). Doubly frustrating because I answered Sulfuric Vortex and Burning Rage both on the turns immediately after they each came into play.

CUBE!!!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Posting to vent re: losing a tight game 3 vs mono red because Wizards thinks it's cute or whatever not to have updated Exalted Angel to just have freakin lifelink (didn't misplay because of it, just cast it and died to a fresh Hellrider off the top with enough triggers to take me to 1 life, and 2 more attackers than I had blockers). Doubly frustrating because I answered Sulfuric Vortex and Burning Rage both on the turns immediately after they each came into play.

CUBE!!!

They don't do functional errata anymore and that would be functional errata.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's relevant with Stinkweed Imp as well, if it gets into combat with an X/1 regenerator the regenerate ability must be activated twice to save it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elyv posted:

Didn't realize that was an actual policy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

In fact, they've even gone so far as to reverse functional errata they did previously, if the card was never reprinted with the errata'd wording.

The only exception is that one commander guy they errata'd recently, I guess because having the flagship creature in a deck being pre-emptively banned from the only format it's playable in is bad for sales.

• Locked thread