Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
If anybody's looking for a cheap set of sockets, check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STMT71648-40-Piece-Socket-Set/dp/B009EMKLDG

Don't know your guys' opinion of Stanley, but they've proved shockingly tough for what I've put mine through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

they're pretty decent, but the only big sets that seem to go on sale here are the loving black ones.

gently caress black tools. Give me fluorescent orange you shits.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Powershift posted:

gently caress black tools. Give me fluorescent orange you shits.

Plastidip.. or radium. Just don't use either on your forum. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Plastidipping the handles of all my files was an orgasmic experience.

It may have been the fumes.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Cakefool posted:

Plastidipping the handles of all my files was an orgasmic experience.

It may have been the fumes.

Try BBQ Black Rustoleum. Or a comparable device you weirdos have there.. Chimney soot, or whatever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viggen posted:

Plastidip.. or radium. Just don't use either on your forum. :v:

plastidip would be a pain in the rear end for sockets.

Maybe each set should just include 5 10mm so you still have one or two left once the car starts eating them.

edit: There we go

insulated socket set. And at only $453, it's cheaper than snap-on!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 5, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha yeah I was just organizing my wrenches into a tool rolls from Harbor Freight and was wondering why the hell I have 4 10mm wrenches. drat things are used everywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Haha yeah I was just organizing my wrenches into a tool rolls from Harbor Freight and was wondering why the hell I have 4 10mm wrenches. drat things are used everywhere.

just about everything on the mack is either 10mm or 13mm, except for the stuff built to other standards like the oil lines and air lines and battery posts and stuff.

Motherfucker. Even china ain't playin. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SA-FACOM-J-401AVSE-insulated-socket-wrench-tool-set-8-19mm-17-electrical-tools/2052532969.html

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powershift posted:

plastidip would be a pain in the rear end for sockets.

Maybe each set should just include 5 10mm so you still have one or two left once the car starts eating them.

It would be a cool idea to colour code each size differently - so you can tell if you are reaching for a 10mm or a 9mm

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-sae-deep-wall-color-coded-socket-set-93264.html

Just one of many sets they make

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

See, i want a set like this that's entire red or gold. Something that would stand out 3 feet inside a dark engine bay. chrome just reflects what's around it and blends in. Black disappears into the same place socks go when you put them in the dryer.

powder coated like torque extensions rather than anodized would be nice, too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You want matte day-glo pink.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Looking for a cheap, better then Husky/Craftsman/Kobalt tool box? HomeDepot just dropped the price to $350 for both the 36" Dewalt Top and Bottom combo. It's not quite HF 44" quality, but it's a steal for the price.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-36-in-Metal-Rolling-and-Top-Storage-Chest-DWMT73679-78/205394946?N=5yc1vZc2gk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That poo poo rubbed off in less than a year of regular use for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

You want matte day-glo pink.

You don't want matte, harder to clean. Dayglo pink or dynarod orange seems good though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What about heatshrink tubing?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hey what are those nifty push ratchets called I can't remember the name, they're helical or something.

E: Spiral ratchet

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 6, 2014

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

InitialDave posted:

What about heatshrink tubing?

I've heard of doing that to sockets to keep them from scratching wheels.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sadi posted:

I've heard of doing that to sockets to keep them from scratching wheels.

Ive used duct tape for this purpose. When it wears it gets messy though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I keep a can of day glow orange paint to paint any black poo poo. I lost several pry bars to the depths of everything.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I lost several pry bars to the depths of everything.

My favorite thing is finding tools on startup. :shepicide:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

My favorite thing is finding tools on post-failure disassembly. :shepicide:

ftfy
Guy at work once found a maglite under the valve cover of a 60 Series during a valve set. Surprisingly it was still mostly intact (just a bit beat up, no debris or visible valvetrain damage) despite the fact that it had to have been in there at least a couple years according to the customer.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 6, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tommychu posted:

ftfy
Guy at work once found a maglite under the valve cover of a 60 Series during a valve set. Surprisingly it was still mostly intact (just a bit beat up, no debris or visible valvetrain damage) despite the fact that it had to have been in there at least a couple years according to the customer.

Jesus Christ. The fact that his engine bay probably sounded like a skeleton jerking off in a filing cabinet didn't possibly clue him in that there might be something amiss?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus Christ. The fact that his engine bay probably sounded like a skeleton jerking off in a filing cabinet didn't possibly clue him in that there might be something amiss?

Don't Detroits always sound like that?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Don't Detroits always sound like that?

Oh poo poo, duh. Disregard previous statement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, I've got a quite resonable inspection light which a helpful plumber left in my boiler!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's your favorite oil filter removal tool that's quickly available on Amazon? Whoever installed it on my jeep last made it his mission in life to make sure that oil filter never got removed.

The old jab a screwdriver through the filter trick didn't work either.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

What's your favorite oil filter removal tool that's quickly available on Amazon? Whoever installed it on my jeep last made it his mission in life to make sure that oil filter never got removed.

I use this kind, and have never had it not work.

The trick is to not let it slip, and instead get it to kink the body of the filter as it tightens.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you have a harbor freight nearby I've always had good luck with these, or if you need more clamping force they also sell locking pliers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I use a Lisle 63500 most of the time, though the 60200 is more durable.
Chain and plier-type ones tend to do a lot of collateral damade and the band type, while superior, have a limited range of sizes and thus aren't as versatile.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 7, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hauled off and bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-1...l+filter+wrench

which Amazon believes will be shipped to me tomorrow. I do have a harbor freight near me, but only have one car that currently has no oil and a punctured oil filter.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Yeah. Don't worry about the old filter. The key obviously is not damaging the spindle threads or the mounting plate seal area. Both of those are pretty sturdy and protected by the old filter, and you can go pretty hog wild getting them off.

Unless they got cross-threaded somehow. Then you're in the poo poo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Not too deep, though. Usually the threaded bit is a removable insert (that takes a huge wrench/socket to remove, like a 30mm or similar).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Not too deep, though. Usually the threaded bit is a removable insert (that takes a huge wrench/socket to remove, like a 30mm or similar).

Or two like 7/16 head bolts.

Safety Dance posted:

I really like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y22RDO this. Can get them from Sears, made in USA, lifetime warranty. Has gotten me out of a couple pinches where the strap wrench just started crushing the filter and slipping.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have the same 3-jaw one posted above, and it has never failed. If you can get straight at the end of the filter, it'll crush the end to get a grip and then spin it right off. I've used the strap-and-handle type, and it's rare that there's space around the filter on most vehicles. Definitely not on anything I own, except the bike.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Nice gift idea for folks, I found this Black and Decker gyroscopic electric screwdriver was marked to $19.99 in stores at Target. It goes for $40 or so at Amazon. For some reason the Target website says $30, but in store it was clearly marked and rang up as $19.99.

It's kind of gimmicky but also kind of cool--you hold the back and as your rotate slightly it turns on and moves in the direction and speed your rotated. Lithium ion battery is a nice plus too so it shouldn't immediately die when left on the shelf.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Yeah. Don't worry about the old filter. The key obviously is not damaging the spindle threads or the mounting plate seal area. Both of those are pretty sturdy and protected by the old filter, and you can go pretty hog wild getting them off.

But ripping the whole can portion off and having to use a hammer and punch on the oil pass-through holes to spin the base off, GM fuel sender lock ring style (it's an extreme case but I've had to do it more than once) kinda sucks. Strap wrenches get pretty close to the point of can failure but will fail before the can does, so if you feel like the strap is going to give way you know precisely how hosed you are and when to start enacting heroic measures. Plier-type filter wrenches will cause the can to fail long before that point.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

PitViper posted:

I have the same 3-jaw one posted above, and it has never failed. If you can get straight at the end of the filter, it'll crush the end to get a grip and then spin it right off. I've used the strap-and-handle type, and it's rare that there's space around the filter on most vehicles. Definitely not on anything I own, except the bike.

I have one from HF and have never really had good luck with it. It just slips before it bites in.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Why is everyone doing up their filters so tight? I can't remember the last time I couldn't undo one with my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

pazrs posted:

Why is everyone doing up their filters so tight? I can't remember the last time I couldn't undo one with my hand.
Because previous owner.