Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Exia amazing was never used, he fought that one guy with Exia before finishing it so it doesn't count. Then at the end it was Exia repair so that didn't count either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Exia amazing was never used, he fought that one guy with Exia before finishing it so it doesn't count. Then at the end it was Exia repair so that didn't count either.

He used it once when it still wasn't ready and got beat up pretty bad (against that old dudes son or grandson? I cant remember). The next time it showed up it was the dark matter.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Tae posted:

Gundam written by Mitsuru Adachi?

There has to be some German word that means 'the feeling of sadness that comes when you realize that something you never knew you wanted has never and will never exist.'

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CaptainRat posted:

There has to be some German word that means 'the feeling of sadness that comes when you realize that something you never knew you wanted has never and will never exist.'
Wistfulness?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

My German is a bit rusty, but I think you're looking for 'traumenaberniemalshabenfreude'.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level Slide posted:

There was a part in Escaflowne where (Escaflowne spoilers)the Escaflowne is getting repaired, and Van, who had already "become one" with the thing, feels every bit like it's surgery without anesthesia and if surgery involved a complete replacement of skin. If something similar happens to Sekai, I would laugh while maintaining a horrified expression.
poo poo. Guess I need to finally get around to watching Escaflowne.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

poo poo. Guess I need to finally get around to watching Escaflowne.

Its a mid-90s love triangle romance girl's anime wrapped in an outer layer of fantasy robots, don't do it.

Also the soundtrack owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escaflowne owns. Seriously, watch it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escaflowne is my favourite anime of all time, unless I'm really depressed in which case it's Ideon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Watch Wings of Rean instead.

(don't actually do this)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Actually watch Macross 7 instead.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please don't do this either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Macross 7 owns though?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Everybody should do this, regardless.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mecha Gojira posted:

This is a wrong opinion. You're never going to move that mountain, kid.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Ignore everyone, watch Gundam X, then buy a shrine like me.

:unsmigghh:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

ImpAtom posted:

Macross 7 owns though?

No it's terrible. And I love macross to death.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The second half of M7 is awesome.

The first half will make you wish the words 'planet' and 'dance' were excised from the english language.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

No it's terrible. And I love macross to death.

Nah. It's actually one of the better Macross series in terms of characterization and character development. It suffers from the problem of being overly long (it didn't need to be 50 episodes and you could trim the first 15 episodes without losing much) and an overreliance on stock footage, but it actually deals with the ideas introduced in Macross both from a thematic and a character standpoint better than any other Macross show since.

It actually is exceedingly well directed and the way it handles music and soundtrack is excellent. Not the songs themselves (which I'm kinda iffy on) but the way they're integrated into the background. Music that plays in M7 always has a diagetic source in the show, be it a radio, a speaker or magic sound energy and there is a ton of effort put into making music the central part of the story rather than a thing sort of half-assed in the way that Macross Frontier did.

Beyond that it also does some really interesting things with character development. Basara isn't my favorite character but he is a great example of how to create an abrasive main character and actually develop and change him. Characters like Kira Yamato or Setsuna F Seiei are desperately trying to follow the plot arc Basara ends up following. (Almost literally in some cases. Setsuna's movie plot is almost a direct rip from Macross 7.)

Also it features Max and Miria on a regular basis and they are the best Macross characters

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I don't know who you are trolling impatom, I've watched M7, the ovas, the movie, dynamite, the viewmaster, etc.... at least twice each year for the last decade or so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I don't know who you are trolling impatom, I've watched M7, the ovas, the movie, dynamite, the viewmaster, etc.... at least twice each year for the last decade or so.

Then you should know how much it owns. :colbert:

Like a lot of people bitch about Basara while ignoring that the bulk of his characterization is told not through his dialogue but through his songs. I mean he screams this at you literally every single episode but the stuff that is playing isn't just for background music, it is literally Basara screaming his feelings to the air and the change in songs goes along with Basara's change in personality. (That is, unfortunately, why Planet Dance is the de-facto song for so loving much of the early series.) Setsuna's movie plot (right down to being put into a coma trying to communicate with an unfathomable space intelligence and waking up at the last moment) are pretty much taken directly from MX7 where they are executed much better.

I could talk about MX7 for ages. It isn't my favorite anime but damned if it isn't the best-directed of the Macross shows, and The Day Gigil Sang is probably my favorite villain sendoff ever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even without the shouting about listening to songs they even pretty much straight up tell you that a few times, like when that biker chick asks Basara to tell her about himself some more he doesn't talk. He just starts singing. It's pretty blunt and it gets missed, though admittedly those fansubs don't always sub the song lyrics due to the tedium and that can get annoying in moments like those!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just realized this is the Try thread and not the generic Gundam thread, so I apologize for the off-topicness. :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nobody should ever apologize for making cool posts even if it's only tangentially related to the topic!

Back to the thread topic I am really hoping next week's episode turns out well. It's about time we got what looks like a comedy episode and if a beach and bearguys can't bring the laughs then what can!?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

It's about time we got what looks like a comedy episode and if a beach and bearguys can't bring the laughs then what can!?

The return of the Italian dandy and his pop idol wife.

Alternately Mao. Bonus points if he owns Sakai in some way.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 6, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I appreciate the derail about Macross 7 and Escaflowne. They've been added to my watch list.

I see that Escaflowne was dubbed twice. Once fairly recently, and once by... Fox Kids? Haha, wow. I'm almost tempted to watch that version. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I appreciate the derail about Macross 7 and Escaflowne. They've been added to my watch list.

I see that Escaflowne was dubbed twice. Once fairly recently, and once by... Fox Kids? Haha, wow. I'm almost tempted to watch that version. :allears:

The dubbed Escaflowne is censored and I think alters the plot? I also don't think it finishes the story. I honestly can't remember.

Srice posted:

Nobody should ever apologize for making cool posts even if it's only tangentially related to the topic!

Back to the thread topic I am really hoping next week's episode turns out well. It's about time we got what looks like a comedy episode and if a beach and bearguys can't bring the laughs then what can!?

I'm hype for Surfing Turn-A.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Fox kids only got ten episodes in before it being canned, torched the first episode completely and tried to re-frame the story around the male protagonist with bad editing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Avoid the Fox Kids version.

Like, treat it like it's Gundam AGE and run away and never look back.

Also, what Neddy said.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Watch Dai-Guard.

I don't care if you watch anything else, just watch Dai-Guard. Dai-Guard was awesome.

Also, still looking forward to a wacky fanservice beach episode. Especially since it means we finally get to see the Beargguy F in action, possibly against a surfing Turn A.

Also, am I crazy for suspecting that Mirai might have some training in Jigen Haoh herself? Despite the two of them being orphans, she was apparently cool with Sekai running off on a training trip with his instructor for a few months. Also, during the second episode when they were discussing Yuuma's refusal to talk to Fumina about why he was helping Mantis Man's attempts to shut down the Battling Club, Mirai seemed slightly enthusiastic about the prospect of Sekai finally getting to use the skills he'd been learning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, am I crazy for suspecting that Mirai might have some training in Jigen Haoh herself? Despite the two of them being orphans, she was apparently cool with Sekai running off on a training trip with his instructor for a few months. Also, during the second episode when they were discussing Yuuma's refusal to talk to Fumina about why he was helping Mantis Man's attempts to shut down the Battling Club, Mirai seemed slightly enthusiastic about the prospect of Sekai finally getting to use the skills he'd been learning.

I think she's just being a proud older sister, especially as it seems she's raised him a bit. Though I do agree it looks like she probably has at least some kind of martial arts training.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think she's just being a proud older sister, especially as it seems she's raised him a bit. Though I do agree it looks like she probably has at least some kind of martial arts training.

Of course we get a kung fu model in season 2. Of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

We had one of those as soon as the Dom ditched its sword. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

I'm still holding out hope for that insane fan theory that Mirai puts on a mask for the nationals and becomes the rival Schwarz Schwester in order to help Sekai learn to truly control Burning Mode.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm still holding out hope for that insane fan theory that Mirai puts on a mask for the nationals and becomes the rival Schwarz Schwester in order to help Sekai learn to truly control Burning Mode.

This would have been right at home in BF with gundam-savvy characters all over the place. Now? Less so. And that makes me sad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GimmickMan posted:

This would have been right at home in BF with gundam-savvy characters all over the place. Now? Less so. And that makes me sad.

Imagine it.

"AMAI ZO, SEKAI!" a voice calls out, as the camera slowly pans up to a black Bearguy with angry eyes and a ninja mask standing on a cliff.

Dream this dream with me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

We have info on the titles of the next few episodes, as well as most of the staff.

quote:

12/10: 10「GunColle」
Tomo Ookubo / Kiyoshi Egami & Kazuo Sakai / Takuro Shinbo (chara) / Munetaka Abe (mecha)

12/17: 11「Nielsen Lab」
Tatsuma Minamikawa / Shuuji Iuichi / Yukihito Ogomori (chara) / Masami Obari (mecha)

12/24: 12「To Fly In The Future」
Shigeru Ueda / Susumu Nishizawa / Katanao Akai (chara) / Hiroki Mutaguchi (mecha)

12/31 「Broadcast pause」

1/7: 13 「Beyond the Knuckle」
Yasuhiro Minami / Takeshi Furuta / Michinori Chiba (chara) / Hiroshi Arisawa (mecha)

Nils Nielsen incoming?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Beyond the Knuckle is the best name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Nielsen Lab" sounds promising. Not only because Nils might come back, but also because it may explain the changes between both series. And even if that doesn't happen, look who's in charge of mecha, I can't ever say no to Obari.

"Beyond the Knuckle" sounds like an actual growth episode for Sekai, which is badly needed. I seriously, seriously hope I'm right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Nielsen Lab" sounds promising. Not only because Nils might come back, but also because it may explain the changes between both series. And even if that doesn't happen, look who's in charge of mecha, I can't ever say no to Obari.

"Beyond the Knuckle" sounds like an actual growth episode for Sekai, which is badly needed. I seriously, seriously hope I'm right here.

"Beyond the Knuckle" is episode 13, so it also marks the midway point of the series. Expect a new intro with all the national championship opponents.
But what does "To Fly In The Future" mean? That's normally a final episode title. Susumu Nishizawa was responsible for the Race/Mafia episode, Renato Bros. fight, Fellini/Aila fight and Festival episode. Maybe a big mass fight like in the first episode?

• Locked thread