Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PhantomZero posted:

Maybe this would also bring back the economy portions of the game?

I kind of don't like having to assign individual labors and such, it would be nice to just have dwarves decide what they want to do.

SO ROSE THE MIGHT OF THE DWARVEN GUILDS! STRIKE THE WORK ORDERS! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

scamtank posted:

None. Tileset makers haven't really grasped the TWBT paradigm yet.

e: unless you count illegible runes as "no letters"

Ah. What's the best tileset if I just don't care about legibility then?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The tileset repository on the wiki is your friend, but try this on first.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

scamtank posted:

The tileset repository on the wiki is your friend, but try this on first.

DF on non-casual mode :getin:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PhantomZero posted:

Maybe this would also bring back the economy portions of the game?

In the latest DF talk, Toady says that this isn't going to happen until after the Fortress Starting Scenarios are complete (Since a big part of it is actually defining property and status for individual critters), and when armies start to have real items being associated with them (Only currently exists in an extremely basic form limited to Caravans). After we get these two things done, he can finally start to finally re-implement the economy. I believe in the same podcast he actually jokes that the recent years of DF development have all just been him setting up what he needs to do just that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suppose really having a full economy simulator and military strategy game are the two big end goals of Fortress mode. I mean, where else do you go from there? Ultimately all of it is going to contribute to one of those two things.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Sims :3:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I suppose really having a full economy simulator and military strategy game are the two big end goals of Fortress mode. I mean, where else do you go from there? Ultimately all of it is going to contribute to one of those two things.

Actually, I think Toady has thrown around the idea of adding more inter-fortress conflict and politics, which could also end up being a fun to mess around with. I have no idea what it will end up entailing though, other than in the form of my own hopes and dreams.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yo shitbags, we're back in business. DFHack 40.19-r1 is out.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

Yo shitbags, we're back in business. DFHack 40.19-r1 is out.

:neckbeard:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Tenebrais posted:

I suppose really having a full economy simulator and military strategy game...
Only then will He reveal the as of now hidden full religion simulator, and the Toady Church of Awesomespires will rise.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the endgame of this is AI

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
more like UI

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The end game is we all realize we are in a simulation coded by Toady.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The endgame is coming up with a funny name for your 237th dwarf.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mifki's on the ball too. Version .26 supports the new DFHack, but only OSX has been tested for not-implode. I'm sure it's fine.

e: also learned that platypi cannot be gelded since their balls don't descend outside the body - thanks for the trivia, Toady's raws

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

e: also learned that platypi cannot be gelded since their balls don't descend outside the body - thanks for the trivia, Toady's raws

That's the attention to detail we've come to expect from Toady.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Guess you can't prevent elephant population explosions that way either, then.

Capons are a thing, though (and certainly fit the technology level), so I'm not sure it should necessarily be that way for the little critters at least.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I think I just got a bead on why I stopped playing earlier: the loving pecan trees in the tundra rrrrrrrr

These trees need unfucking.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Are frozen nuts breaking verisimilitude?

I want to be able to put pecans into beer. Abita Pecan Harvest! :woop:

Someone else asked, but I'm not sure anyone answered: why are animals not being confined by pasture by dwarves? Occasionally I'll see critters self-report, but otherwise everyone's all wandering off and getting destroyed by bears and the dwarves give no fucks. :iiam: Tired of losing my puppies to every johnny kingsnake around. This is last version, so if it's fixed in the latest and greatest... I should update.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Tenebrais posted:

I think the end goals are to have sentient simulated dwarves that happen to go to war and have an economy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know why he continually ignores the UI, right? Because some day, that's going to go away, we won't need it anymore. We'll just watch, like a never-ending procedurally generated movie. "Hey kids, gather 'round the Dwarf Fortress box, let's see what's happening in Grandchoked!"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bad Munki posted:

You know why he continually ignores the UI, right? Because some day, that's going to go away, we won't need it anymore. We'll just watch, like a never-ending procedurally generated movie. "Hey kids, gather 'round the Dwarf Fortress box, let's see what's happening in Grandchoked!"

"Mommy why is everyone not moving and red mommy why is that one dwarf moving slowly with "~~" behind him mommy why are all of his limbs grey"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RedTonic posted:

Are frozen nuts breaking verisimilitude?

I want to be able to put pecans into beer. Abita Pecan Harvest! :woop:

Someone else asked, but I'm not sure anyone answered: why are animals not being confined by pasture by dwarves? Occasionally I'll see critters self-report, but otherwise everyone's all wandering off and getting destroyed by bears and the dwarves give no fucks. :iiam: Tired of losing my puppies to every johnny kingsnake around. This is last version, so if it's fixed in the latest and greatest... I should update.

Did you assign them to the pasture?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Angela Christine posted:

Did you assign them to the pasture?

The animals? Yes. Also, animal hauling is enabled on most of my dorfs.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

"Mommy why is everyone not moving and red mommy why is that one dwarf moving slowly with "~~" behind him mommy why are all of his limbs grey"

mommy what is that dwarf with the gelding tools doing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Excelzior posted:

mommy what is that dwarf with the gelding tools doing

Nothing, dear, that's a duck-billed platypus he's with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Excelzior posted:

mommy what is that dwarf doing

*Urist McAnimal Trainer gelds a bull*

Being killed dear, he expedition leader decided he served no useful purpose, and has too many mouths to feed. Look at the head get kicked off in an arc!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

...well there goes my stealth edit.

Urist McExcelzior has felt shame lately.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Been playing this off and on since it was a year old or so, back in the 2D fixed map days- one of the weird results of such an absurdly and awesomely long "early access" process is that it's been long enough that the kind of games I play has changed- I have way less patience for tedium and bad UI than I used to and my ability to focus on complex simulations such as DF (or Factorio) has waned.

Any other 30ish DF players feeling this? I still enjoy firing up DF now and then, but I have to have coffee and can't do the 4-8 hour marathon sessions of old.

Really hoping that, as Toady gets older and introduces more dwarf autonomy, more things can be automated as in Distant Worlds, and you can choose your own level of interactive complexity.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Christmas Present posted:

Been playing this off and on since it was a year old or so, back in the 2D fixed map days- one of the weird results of such an absurdly and awesomely long "early access" process is that it's been long enough that the kind of games I play has changed- I have way less patience for tedium and bad UI than I used to and my ability to focus on complex simulations such as DF (or Factorio) has waned.

Any other 30ish DF players feeling this? I still enjoy firing up DF now and then, but I have to have coffee and can't do the 4-8 hour marathon sessions of old.

Really hoping that, as Toady gets older and introduces more dwarf autonomy, more things can be automated as in Distant Worlds, and you can choose your own level of interactive complexity.

DF's development has seen me get married, my wife and I finish undergrad, her enroll in and eventually complete medical school, a couple years of residency, the birth of two children, living in three different cities 4000 miles apart, buying our first house...and while I don't pull all-nighters on it anymore, I think any waning interest on my part is mostly due to skill rust (LOL). That is, if I play it more for a while, I get more comfortable with the gameplay and controls in general, so it becomes a lot less tedious, and I can spend more time playing it as a result. On the other hand, if I stop playing for a while, it takes longer for me to get back into the flow, which leads to me preferring to do other things instead of re-learning how to play a game AGAIN. So it sort of yo-yos a lot.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Does Toady live off donations?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes. This IS his day job. And his night job.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Plus games in general are more intuitive so we're used to not having to fight bad interfaces and stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Does Toady live off donations?

If you call that living.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
As long as scamps has nuggets to eat and there's soda in the fridge...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Tunicate posted:

If you call that living.

Dude probably makes more than he did teaching and he gets to do what he loves on his own schedule. He's got it made IMO.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Toady seems to make at least 3k a month, that dramatically spikes when he does a major release. Hell, I know I threw 20 bucks his way ages ago.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

Toady seems to make at least 3k a month, that dramatically spikes when he does a major release. Hell, I know I threw 20 bucks his way ages ago.

Yep. Donation level seems to be up overall since he's been on the warpath with updates:

quote:

November: $3400.66
October: $3260.59
September: $4573.68
August: $6551.92
July: $15273.52
June: $4938.74
May: $3705.91
April: $6428.15
March: $3606.70
February: $2803.99
January: $4040.37

e: That's about 60k year-to-date. not bad for just donations.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Christmas Present posted:

You've lost your way, get out.

4-8 hours is hardly a marathon session of anything. Just because you're losing the ability to maintain focus and have become disenfranchised doesn't mean the game is at fault. The second Toady cared about pandering to a less
:spergin: crowd is the second DF goes down the toilet.

And yes I'm almost 30.