Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Snark posted:

Would it pain you to learn I would rather no one be led into a sucking void of despair and learned helplessness either? Maybe you can write it off as a broken clock being right twice a day, ye paragon of mental health.

I never said that you were a bad person, or mentally unwell, so no, it's not going to pain me, go ahead and say that, with extra snide.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'm not allowed to speak for GIP but I can refer your question to my forums superiors

Okay, can I quote you as background for forums opinion then? I have a deadline for QCS posts coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

"I want to change society. gently caress parts of it that aren't with the program."

You realize that's going to make a lot of people not just ignore but perhaps even actively resist you and your goals because of that sentiment, right?

I don't know if you know this, but the Pareto principle is junk used to enforce the status quo. You can't actually change things without hurting people in some way. So in order to do anything at all, you need to be willing to gently caress over parts of society.

That said, you don't know what I'm talking about, so fly away, star dolphin.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Space Whale posted:

"I want to change society. gently caress parts of it that aren't with the program."

You realize that's going to make a lot of people not just ignore but perhaps even actively resist you and your goals because of that sentiment, right?

Why do you act as though this hasn't been a thing in virtually every successful movement in America good & bad, from Independence, to Prohibition, to Civil Rights, and currently gay marriage? People get ignored and sidelined all the time and it isn't necessarily always the radical getting ignored, it can be moderates, or the opposing end extremists.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Effectronica posted:

I never said that you were a bad person, or mentally unwell, so no, it's not going to pain me, go ahead and say that, with extra snide.

Okay, can I quote you as background for forums opinion then? I have a deadline for QCS posts coming up.

I'm... pretty sure you have actually. Still, suit yourself. Read an extra layer of snide into my last post.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

I don't know if you know this, but the Pareto principle is junk used to enforce the status quo. You can't actually change things without hurting people in some way. So in order to do anything at all, you need to be willing to gently caress over parts of society.

That said, you don't know what I'm talking about, so fly away, star dolphin.

I guess not, because if your framework is "we're gonna hurt others to benefit ourselves" I'm either highly confused or you're never going to get off the ground.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

I guess not, because if your framework is "we're gonna hurt others to benefit ourselves" I'm either highly confused or you're never going to get off the ground.

Can you provide an example of a positive change to society that benefits people without hurting anyone? Doesn't have to be in-depth.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nonsense posted:

Why do you act as though this hasn't been a thing in virtually every successful movement in America good & bad, from Independence, to Prohibition, to Civil Rights, and currently gay marriage? People get ignored and sidelined all the time and it isn't necessarily always the radical getting ignored, it can be moderates, or the opposing end extremists.

I guess my ideas of sidelining or hurting is different from yours. Let's take slavery:

"You can't own people anymore. They're free. (But you can still make them a wage slave, tee hee, sharecropping!)"

I suppose the slave owners were the ones who were "hurt" in a sense? I don't see it as harm at all if someone loses the ability to do a wrong.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Can you provide an example of a positive change to society that benefits people without hurting anyone? Doesn't have to be in-depth.

When gay marriage was made legal who got hurt? When pot was made legal, who got hurt?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Space Whale posted:

When gay marriage was made legal who got hurt? When pot was made legal, who got hurt?

peopole who didnt' like those things had their fee fees hurt because losing is very triggering

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All you guys going on about the left driving people away and hurting people: can you explain what exactly you mean by that? Who is being driven away from leftist causes and activism, and why?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

Christians who genuinely believe that gay marriage is against the will of God and invites his wrath were hurt. People who believe gays are subhuman were hurt. People who prefer to keep their gay relatives closeted are hurt. These are all bad people, but they're still getting hurt.

As for the legalization of marijuana, that's still early to see how it will shake out, but unless pot prices remain just as high, dealers are getting hurt, at a very minimum. Again, bad people, but they're still getting hurt.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Christians who genuinely believe that gay marriage is against the will of God and invites his wrath were hurt. People who believe gays are subhuman were hurt. People who prefer to keep their gay relatives closeted are hurt. These are all bad people, but they're still getting hurt.

As for the legalization of marijuana, that's still early to see how it will shake out, but unless pot prices remain just as high, dealers are getting hurt, at a very minimum. Again, bad people, but they're still getting hurt.

Their feelings were hurt. How was their place in society altered negatively, or material harm done to them?

"Dealers were hurt." The loss of the ability to commit a crime is a harm, now, too?

I very seriously cannot understand how you think. Is "we're gonna fight, hurt them, and win" just part of how you psych yourself up?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

Their feelings were hurt. How was their place in society altered negatively, or material harm done to them?

"Dealers were hurt." The loss of the ability to commit a crime is a harm, now, too?

I very seriously cannot understand how you think. Is "we're gonna fight, hurt them, and win" just part of how you psych yourself up?

Well, for one thing, you're saying that there needs to be material harm, and then saying that material harm only counts if it's honest material goods.

But there is material harm. People that sincerely believe that the wrath of God is that much more imminent because of gays getting married are now under more stress, which is material harm. Even then, psychological harm is still meaningful if you're not an engineer.

Similarly, they had money, and now they have less. They've been materially harmed. It's probably a good thing overall, but it's still harm. If you beat the poo poo out of a neo-Nazi to save a elderly Jewish lesbian, you're still beating the poo poo out of him, even if it's still a good thing overall, and you shouldn't pretend that you didn't spread his nose across his face, and for many cases, you can't even say it's good.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Well, for one thing, you're saying that there needs to be material harm, and then saying that material harm only counts if it's honest material goods.

But there is material harm. People that sincerely believe that the wrath of God is that much more imminent because of gays getting married are now under more stress, which is material harm. Even then, psychological harm is still meaningful if you're not an engineer.

Similarly, they had money, and now they have less. They've been materially harmed. It's probably a good thing overall, but it's still harm. If you beat the poo poo out of a neo-Nazi to save a elderly Jewish lesbian, you're still beating the poo poo out of him, even if it's still a good thing overall, and you shouldn't pretend that you didn't spread his nose across his face, and for many cases, you can't even say it's good.

No, I did not say good can come without it being zero sum. I think that's a dangerous mentality.

As far as the mentality that people disagreeing with one's opinions is material harm, lol.

Clearly getting in a fist fight with a neo nazi to defend someone is going to hurt the person you're fighting, I guess, but changing society isn't about violent phantasies of badass anti fascist protest raves set to punk music.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

No, I did not say good can come without it being zero sum. I think that's a dangerous mentality.

As far as the mentality that people disagreeing with one's opinions is material harm, lol.

Clearly getting in a fist fight with a neo nazi to defend someone is going to hurt the person you're fighting, I guess, but changing society isn't about violent phantasies of badass anti fascist protest raves set to punk music.

OK, so let's say that you believe that the use of a radical new geothermal energy project is likely to destroy the world, but nobody listens to you. Would you believe yourself to be worse off than if the geothermal project was shut down and you could stop your desperate rocket-building project? Have you been harmed because of a disagreement of opinion?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Blue Star posted:

All you guys going on about the left driving people away and hurting people: can you explain what exactly you mean by that? Who is being driven away from leftist causes and activism, and why?

Everyone who has not yet drunk the cool-aid. The left-leaning who don't see "being as radical as possible" as being the solution and are attacked by 'their own' for it. And, I know this is going to invite great ire from some, moderates who might otherwise be sympathetic or supportive.

Extremists on both sides tend to hate moderates just as much if not more than their ideological opposites and tend to attack them with almost as much fervor. The result of this is to drive said moderates to choose a side- most often to the opposition of their attacker's in self-defense.

Why the math of this should be so perplexing to some is beyond me.

You can bully people into line within a very small community, but the moment you try to bully a larger community you are going to find it much less effective to outright counterproductive.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

OK, so let's say that you believe that the use of a radical new geothermal energy project is likely to destroy the world, but nobody listens to you. Would you believe yourself to be worse off than if the geothermal project was shut down and you could stop your desperate rocket-building project? Have you been harmed because of a disagreement of opinion?

I'd believe it, sure, but "shut up you crazy idiot" isn't harming me. It's the speaker disagreeing with me.

Also this could easily be an analogy for a lot of people loudly screaming poo poo who are told "no, also you're dumb" and then triggering all over their keyboards about it on tumblr.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

I'd believe it, sure, but "shut up you crazy idiot" isn't harming me. It's the speaker disagreeing with me.

Also this could easily be an analogy for a lot of people loudly screaming poo poo who are told "no, also you're dumb" and then triggering all over their keyboards about it on tumblr.

Sure, you could do that, but since you've gotten the basic point, I'll leave it for you as homework to discover that people truly and sincerely believe in all the terrible things like gays inviting the Lord to destroy the Earth and so on.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Blue Star posted:

Moderates are being driven away. People who support the ideas you do, but are turned off by the extremist rhetoric and blanketing of people.

Ie. "All men are mostly racist. All white people are racist."

If I was white and male, and the movement I wanted to be a part of said that attributes I have no control of make me a part of the problem, it makes my inherent existence a problem.

As a black male, I'm treated as an oppressed minority or someone who internalizes hate. My life and identity is automatically assumed to match those of poor black males in inner-city ghettos, despite having literally nothing in common with them culturally, historically, linguistically, or ideologically. There's also the the elitist language growing in leftist circles that push my opinion and thoughts out of the discussion because they fly in the face of the groupthink. That's not to add the hostile inflammatory language used by activists towards the smallest causes, and the lack of clearly defined goals for the movement.

It also ignores that the 'leaders' of leftist movements are some of the most privileged people around; educated in top-tier universities with consistent access to internet, media, and a supportive base. Mainstream liberal entertainers (Colbert and Stewart for example) present the movement to the public at large by inviting these voices onto their shows.

The biggest thing that gets me is the lack of clear, defined goals.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Let's reorient this:

Telling someone "Don't hurt other people anymore. Start doing things that don't harm others, and you'll belong, and be accepted." is one thing.

Telling them "gently caress you we're gonna get our way" is something else.

The first is a moral argument, the second is "may the best ist with their ism win"

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Sure, you could do that, but since you've gotten the basic point, I'll leave it for you as homework to discover that people truly and sincerely believe in all the terrible things like gays inviting the Lord to destroy the Earth and so on.

Animal-Mother posted:

God is actually willing to forgive.

:angel:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The central problem is that people want leadership. There's no leadership. There are respected individuals, but many people don't read them on the "street" (social media) level. About the only thing that can be done is creating and promulgating ideas, theories, ideologies programs that people can engage with instead of the vague fog that characterizes most interactions between outsiders and insiders.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
At the very least a successful leader would communicate clearly and not demand people do homework to understand someone trying to persuade them to do things different.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

At the very least a successful leader would communicate clearly and not demand people do homework to understand someone trying to persuade them to do things different.

You're very pissy, but I'm afraid you still have a long way to go before you can match me.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

You're very pissy, but I'm afraid you still have a long way to go before you can match me.

No, no, I actually mean what I say, and it's not just oriented at you. It's extremely frustrating.

Programmers having pissing matches about type systems are more willing to explain themselves than tumblrs name-dropping philosophers or their books. It's loving ridiculous.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

No, no, I actually mean what I say, and it's not just oriented at you. It's extremely frustrating.

Programmers having pissing matches about type systems are more willing to explain themselves than tumblrs name-dropping philosophers or their books. It's loving ridiculous.

Yeah. I'm sorry, I guess. That was just a way of saying, "Since you agree with the basic principle, I won't continue arguing about the particulars".

Anything else you'd like an explanation for?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Yeah. I'm sorry, I guess. That was just a way of saying, "Since you agree with the basic principle, I won't continue arguing about the particulars".

Anything else you'd like an explanation for?

Well, uh:

Space Whale posted:

Let's reorient this:

Telling someone "Don't hurt other people anymore. Start doing things that don't harm others, and you'll belong, and be accepted." is one thing.

The first is a moral argument, the second is "may the best ist with their ism win"

A lot of angry people really want the latter, and if presented with "we'd be more willing to help if we'd belong after we do what you want" they basically act like SedanChair, or go into tirades about the divisions between the in crowd and allies.

Why the gently caress are people so hung up on anger they don't even consider reconciliation or a society that gets along with itself?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Also, do I still need blood on my door jamb if I don't have any kids yet? TIA!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

Well, uh:

A lot of angry people really want the latter, and if presented with "we'd be more willing to help if we'd belong after we do what you want" they basically act like SedanChair, or go into tirades about the divisions between the in crowd and allies.

Why the gently caress are people so hung up on anger they don't even consider reconciliation or a society that gets along with itself?

Those people are convinced that meaningful change is impossible, so it doesn't matter if, logically, they would commit multiple genocides, because they'd never get the chance.

Space Whale posted:

Also, do I still need blood on my door jamb if I don't have any kids yet? TIA!

Don't worry, I'll have Azzie pass over you regardless ;)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Those people are convinced that meaningful change is impossible, so it doesn't matter if, logically, they would commit multiple genocides, because they'd never get the chance.

There's a big, big problem if I run into that kind of person more than people who think change is actually possible.

But lol if you can explain THAT one...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Space Whale posted:

Let's reorient this:

You usually do have to do the second at some point, though. The key is to do the first part long enough you can do the second successfully. See: Every meaningful instance of progress ever.

Also, to clarify our earlier conversation, when I say privilege I'm using the dictionary definition:
a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden; a prerogative; preferential treatment.

A privilege is:
Something that is given to you by an authority or system, not something that simply occurs. It's intentional or at least artificial and social in nature, and it is enforced. Otherwise its just an advantage.
Something that applies to an individual or group and does not apply to others.
Something that benefits them, usually by granting a right or tangible benefit, especially in regards to immunity to a rule or consequence others must follow or face.

Peeing standing up or a basketball player being tall is not a privilege.
Being allowed a special exemption to a town-wide curfew or being safe from the risk of being sold into slavery is a privilege, whereas a black person in old-timey USA might end up being kidnapped by slave hunters and shipped south even if they were never ever a slave to begin with.

Privilege always implies the existence of another that is not granted the same immunities.

The classic example of a "privilege", in books going back to the 1800s and earlier, is specifically immunity from arrest. Diplomatic Immunity is the very definition of privilege.

Privilege isn't even inherently a bad thing, it's just a descriptive word (when not being abused for ideological purposes) that describes the concept that took me all those words to say.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 6, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

There's a big, big problem if I run into that kind of person more than people who think change is actually possible.

But lol if you can explain THAT one...

Probably because there's a massive cultural industry devoted to keep people thinking that symbolic actions can bring about meaningful change, and this is the dark side of that.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

You usually do have to do the second at some point, though. The key is to do the first part long enough you can do the second successfully. See: Every meaningful instance of progress ever.

lol

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

smiley indicating i think this opinion goes too far

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Meaningful change is possible to the average person if presented in concrete terms. The gay rights movement has clear goals for what it wants (Protection under hate crime laws, right to marriage, right to spousal rights equivalent to heterosexual couples, rights to inheritance, rights to power of attorney, rights of visitation, etc)that are clearly set out there. These clear rights sold it to the general public as a an end goal, and as a result the gay rights movement has activist allies who actually go out and do things, and it also has passive allies who don't necessarily march or protest, but will support the votes or at least not oppose gay rights.

Current social justice is about something undefined, with no end goal. That's why the public doesn't support it.

I don't understand your multiple genocides thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SparkPeople posted:

Meaningful change is possible to the average person if presented in concrete terms. The gay rights movement has clear goals for what it wants (Protection under hate crime laws, right to marriage, right to spousal rights equivalent to heterosexual couples, rights to inheritance, rights to power of attorney, rights of visitation, etc)that are clearly set out there. These clear rights sold it to the general public as a an end goal, and as a result the gay rights movement has activist allies who actually go out and do things, and it also has passive allies who don't necessarily march or protest, but will support the votes or at least not oppose gay rights.

Current social justice is about something undefined, with no end goal. That's why the public doesn't support it.

I don't understand your multiple genocides thing.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm talking about the people mentioned in the article- the so-called "Social Justice Warrior".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SparkPeople posted:

Moderates are being driven away. People who support the ideas you do, but are turned off by the extremist rhetoric and blanketing of people.

Ie. "All men are mostly racist. All white people are racist."

If I was white and male, and the movement I wanted to be a part of said that attributes I have no control of make me a part of the problem, it makes my inherent existence a problem.

The thing is, in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter how nice and accommodating we are. Even the statement of simple truths is enough to rile people up. Try to talk about the poo poo that women face, or non-white people face, or LGBT people face, and you open yourself to harassment and abuse. It doesn't seem to matter if you qualify your statements with "Now, only a minority of men are like this...", or "Now obviously not all white people do this...", you'll still get a massive response from pissed off dudes and white people going "Well what about MEN being raped by WOMEN, huh? HUH?!", or "What about when BLACK PEOPLE kill WHITE PEOPLE, huh?! HUH?!" It just doesn't seem to matter. The only thing that will NOT piss these people off is if you say "Women harass and rape men just as much as vice-verse; black people are just as racist as white people and black cops murder unarmed white men just as much", despite all evidence to the contrary.

Yes I agree that many leftist activists wrongfully condemn entire groups of people and can be very prejudiced in their own right, and that many leftists are pretty privileged themselves. There are lots of things to criticize left activists for, and maybe the author of the essay has some good points. I'm just tired of hearing "Whoa, we need to be nicer so as to not drive people away", because to my eyes, people are driven away simply by stating facts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blue Star posted:

The thing is, in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter how nice and accommodating we are. Even the statement of simple truths is enough to rile people up. Try to talk about the poo poo that women face, or non-white people face, or LGBT people face, and you open yourself to harassment and abuse. It doesn't seem to matter if you qualify your statements with "Now, only a minority of men are like this...", or "Now obviously not all white people do this...", you'll still get a massive response from pissed off dudes and white people going "Well what about MEN being raped by WOMEN, huh? HUH?!", or "What about when BLACK PEOPLE kill WHITE PEOPLE, huh?! HUH?!" It just doesn't seem to matter. The only thing that will NOT piss these people off is if you say "Women harass and rape men just as much as vice-verse; black people are just as racist as white people and black cops murder unarmed white men just as much", despite all evidence to the contrary.

Yes I agree that many leftist activists wrongfully condemn entire groups of people and can be very prejudiced in their own right, and that many leftists are pretty privileged themselves. There are lots of things to criticize left activists for, and maybe the author of the essay has some good points. I'm just tired of hearing "Whoa, we need to be nicer so as to not drive people away", because to my eyes, people are driven away simply by stating facts.
Simple statements of truth huh?

Transexuality has a decent rate of comorbidity with a a variety of mental illnesses.

No matter how much you think in your heart that you're a man/woman you're not genetically, and never will be.

Those are simple statements of truth but somehow I'm Hitler when I do it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Simple statements of truth huh?

Transexuality has a decent rate of comorbidity with a a variety of mental illnesses.

No matter how much you think in your heart that you're a man/woman you're not genetically, and never will be.

Those are simple statements of truth but somehow I'm Hitler when I do it.

just making a simlpe statement of truf but that's just because your hitler regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Blue Star posted:

If this is a dumb question let me know, but how is a tiny group of people who piss lots of people off, confuse even more, and which does not give a drat about building bridges, going to actually DO anything?

You can't force anything.

You don't seem to even care about persuading people.

How exactly do you think poo poo is going to happen? If similar ends are the goals of, say, a less radical left wing group (progressives?) and they succeed do you just take credit and pat yourself on the back or what?

• Locked thread