Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Is there a valid game design reason for having ammunition / repair costs? Like couldn't the same outcome be achieved just by marginally reducing income and getting rid of unneeded extra math? Or is this just a F2P thing where you need to throw as many numbers at a player as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is there a valid game design reason for having ammunition / repair costs? Like couldn't the same outcome be achieved just by marginally reducing income and getting rid of unneeded extra math? Or is this just a F2P thing where you need to throw as many numbers at a player as possible

Probably to make bad players like me pay for premium. I went from 1.3 million silver lions to 25k losing Ki-84 before I finally dropped cash on premium. I did some math on the plane before they lowered the repair cost. With out premium I needed to carry roughly a 3:1 kill/death ratio with the Ki-84 to not lose money.

Edit: Lifetime I have 38 air kills and 90 deaths with the Ki-84 Ko. In game reports I have made 975k. Since all of my losses are before the repair cost decrease, lets figure ~30k per loss. That's 2.7 million lost to 975k gained for a net of -1.73 million SL. If i did not drop money on premium I would not be able to fly very much in RB after suffering that kind of damage with out a lot of grinding and some luck.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 6, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/196242-all-over-again/

Obscenely ironic thread

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Official forums - 3% angry, nonsensical posting, 97% giant anime signature banners proclaiming love for Nazi vehicles that aren't even in the game.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

There are a lot of things in this game that really don't make any sense except as legacy mechanics - they've been that way before so ehhhh why change it?

One of my (least) favorite examples is having to buy a plane and then having to also buy the ability to actually fly it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

MrLonghair posted:

I like the feel of the two US tanks so far, the new maps and the Break mode change things up, it's just that as a reserve/starter tank the M2A4 is going to have a terribly hard time against other tanks within its BR. Or maybe it's just a glitch on bots and players for now. Rewards in tanks also seem a bit higher than before.

Uh, why? In theory the M2A4 and M3A1 are on par with the Panzer III Ausf E, and that's with it's standard round, the APC M51 should penetrate 55mm of armor @ 100m.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Woah, I can play the game on movie mode at 150 FPS now :stare:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

FaustianQ posted:

Uh, why? In theory the M2A4 and M3A1 are on par with the Panzer III Ausf E, and that's with it's standard round, the APC M51 should penetrate 55mm of armor @ 100m.

I eat tanks up with the M3 but the M2A4 doesn't feel right with its damage output, despite those penetrations. Even on the vulnerable points it's like it doesn't penetrate, caught an enemy T-28 unaware and most likely AFK and I would have been better off with .50cal guns

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

I eat tanks up with the M3 but the M2A4 doesn't feel right with its damage output, despite those penetrations. Even on the vulnerable points it's like it doesn't penetrate, caught an enemy T-28 unaware and most likely AFK and I would have been better off with .50cal guns

So basically the 37mm guns are laser pointers? Seems like loving bullshit.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

So basically the 37mm guns are laser pointers? Seems like loving bullshit.

They take planes out if they hit them at least, it's dev and I hope they figure that out, and the M3s on the F2H2 having no recoil or nothing, and its UFOier-than-Russia FM, and so on.

M2A4 vs M2A4 is like kids playing snowball, but the none of the kids secretly put a rock in there to knock the other out :smith:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

such hate
much wow
dev server
unfinished
wow

the lead technical moderator is literally a child

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Which ammo are you using for the 37mm for those results.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Which ammo are you using for the 37mm for those results.

M51 ammo in the 37mm M5 cannon, just like the M3 where I kick rear end and have an easy time dominating even German and Russian tanks. Could it be something with the M2A4 that messes with ammo/cannon? Gonna file a report on their forum

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Sea Meteor OP pls nerf gaijin

Successful carrier landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CcgNqxoQog

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If there's any game that has a better example of "Don't listen to your playerbase" than War Thunder I have yet to find it. And I've played some games in the past that were utterly ruined by such.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

M51 ammo in the 37mm M5 cannon, just like the M3 where I kick rear end and have an easy time dominating even German and Russian tanks. Could it be something with the M2A4 that messes with ammo/cannon? Gonna file a report on their forum

But where are your 8 notarized sources signed by the original designers and manufactures of the gun and ammo?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

BBJoey posted:

the lead technical moderator is literally a child

If you browsed the bug report forums at all, this wouldn't be a surprise.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

But where are your 8 notarized sources signed by the original designers and manufactures of the gun and ammo?

I've got 12 sources Gaijin will listen to right here

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Very carefully, lmao

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 6, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Very carefully, lmao

stalinium.jpg

I'm finally getting the hang of flying 109s, thank god. The G-2 is a monster once you get the gunpods. Now I get to move on to the motorcannon models. :getin:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

gently caress F-80 pilots. All they ever do is run away and wait for you to land and then strafe you on the runway.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

YellerBill posted:

gently caress F-80 pilots. All they ever do is run away and wait for you to land and then strafe you on the runway.

Are you flying the Ki-200? Because that really is the best way to deal with the Sushi. Most other planes have enough fuel that they're the ones that should be waiting until the F-80 has to land.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

YellerBill posted:

They can be a real pain, but I'm growing to love this little support plane that often faces them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyiu2Jv15U

edit: wow, 60 fps youtube looks nice. Didn't realize recut shadowplay videos would do that.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 6, 2014

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

They can be a real pain, but I'm growing to love this little support plane that often faces them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyiu2Jv15U

edit: wow, 60 fps youtube looks nice. Didn't realize recut shadowplay videos would do that.

I can't even get 60fps in game you rear end. I just did this last night in a YAK-7B with an average of 20-30 FPS. If I had an acceptable machine I would probably be a monster.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is the new damage model on the dev server already? If so, how is it?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Is the new damage model on the dev server already? If so, how is it?

From my experience on custom missions against mindless AI drones, it feels like it's from the year 20XX instead of the 90's. If you nuke someone's flaps you'll see it for one thing. Not enough players to try it with for real.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I can't count properly. The enemy team is helping me though.

2x Spit IX (one premium, 1x Spit XVI and a Tempest. Only the Tempest did a head-on. I out loop-de-looped one Spitfire IX and the other two were very interested in shooting down 109s. The Me410 is such an amazing gunplatform :syoon:. The Tigerpussies dreams of being that stable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Felony posted:

I can't even get 60fps in game you rear end. I just did this last night in a YAK-7B with an average of 20-30 FPS. If I had an acceptable machine I would probably be a monster.

On the old system I played on until last night, I just turned poo poo down until I could get 60 fps. Clouds looked like dogshit and caused all kinds of dumb aliasing. But now that poo poo is silky smooth!

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

On the old system I played on until last night, I just turned poo poo down until I could get 60 fps. Clouds looked like dogshit and caused all kinds of dumb aliasing. But now that poo poo is silky smooth!

I am jealous. Im running as low as I can get. My config file is even tweaked to make things look even worse than ultra low. There is not much more I can do other than a system upgrade. Unfortunately for me, real life is preventing me from dropping several hundred dollars on a gaming machine at this time. I have a feeling when I do finally upgrade my aim will be terrible because I am used to dealing with the low fps stutter.

On another note, how the hell do people kill anything with the early BF-109 E1/E3 in AB? I get so many hits but nothing seems to die. The last 2 games I played with them I had 56 hits and 34 hits, with no kills.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Those 2 planes are just awful in AB.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
In AB I'd suggest using stealth ammo in the MG17s and a short convergence. No more than 250 to 300m. You should also aim to get closer to that range. Those MGs do lack punch farther out. On the other hand the E1 is low enough that you'd have an easier time in RB than AB. Getting kills won't be easier though. You just get more opportunity for making your shots count. Since you won't have the massive kill hunting furballs as in AB.

Plane movement is also more constrained, which might make it easier with lower FPS.

EDIT
haha that's hilarious. On the bright side: When I upgraded my system a long time ago and was able to play Red Orchestra: Ostfront at 50 to 60 FPS. My aim did improve not go down.
vvvv

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 6, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Look on the bright side: There are games like Planetside 2 where FPS the single most important thing because any bullets fired on a frame that doesn't render on your pc don't get sent to the server

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

In AB I'd suggest using stealth ammo in the MG17s and a short convergence. No more than 250 to 300m. You should also aim to get closer to that range. Those MGs do lack punch farther out. On the other hand the E1 is low enough that you'd have an easier time in RB than AB. Getting kills won't be easier though. You just get more opportunity for making your shots count. Since you won't have the massive kill hunting furballs as in AB.

Plane movement is also more constrained, which might make it easier with lower FPS.

Im not having an issue with player movement. I am landing solid shots, they just don't seem to do anything. I will try a lower convergence and see if that helps. On my quest to grind up every nation to at least tier 4, so far I have to say Germany is probably the worst nation in this game by a large margin.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Felony posted:

Im not having an issue with player movement. I am landing solid shots, they just don't seem to do anything. I will try a lower convergence and see if that helps. On my quest to grind up every nation to at least tier 4, so far I have to say Germany is probably the worst nation in this game by a large margin.

You're judging an entire nation on very low level planes?

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 6, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

In AB I'd suggest using stealth ammo in every gun you ever use for shooting planes

Fixed that for you

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Felony posted:

The only redemption tier 1 Germany has in AB is the Bf 110. And the He 112s with cannon. But I would agree that they're the hardest to start out on.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The 109s are Tier 2 onwards, unless you people have much different tier lists than I do

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

You're judging an entire nation on tier one planes?

Tier 2, also I said "so far", meaning from my experiences up to this point in trying them. This doesn't mean I know everything or claim to. That being said I took the advice in this thread with regards to convergence and waiting until I was in freckle spotting range and this just happened. So thanks goons and Tank Boy for some advice when we squaded up.

I didn't get a chance to try the F because a pubbie on my team rammed me before I could even do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Darwinism posted:

Fixed that for you

For real. If you're using tracers in AB you're hurting yourself. I wouldn't ever use stealth in RB though except for maybe on MG 131s where they are(or at least were) the only belt capable of doing appreciable amounts of damage.

• Locked thread