Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xae posted:

Is an account wide 50% XP buff worth $15/month?

Relative to the cost of other boosts, yes.

The 500 Smedbucks, 15% discount, Additional sale and occasional specials are just gravy.

That's kind of a compelling argument actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Don't forget, membership has greater value cause it has welfare certs.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I like Membership because it gives you 75 Resources a minute instead of 50 for more nade/Max/Harasser+Tank Mine spam.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

http://www.gfycat.com/GloriousSlimCreature

How the gently caress do you survive a headshot, a body shot, and a quickknife after your shield breaks?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If this game is worth spending at least $10/month to you, then membership is absolutely the best way to spend them compared to anything else (except the retail DVD/Steam DLCs, which are onetime purchases).

For me it's more like $20-$30/year, so it's better to grab a bunch of sales than a couple months of memberships / boosts.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I like membership because I can hop around to whatever fight I want to be at, disregarding what the rest of the squad/platoon is doing, and tell myself I'm still useful because of my XP boost. :shobon:

It's also great for alts! Log in once a day, cert your basics out, and you'll be all ready to go once the next double xp weekend comes around.
Case in point, the top two SPM shitters in GOKU according to DA stats are Vigorous Sodomy followed by yours truly.

Fans posted:

I like Membership because it gives you 75 Resources a minute instead of 50 for more nade/Max/Harasser+Tank Mine spam.

This is also very true. Gone are the days you could bank 40 av/frag/sticky/rez nades and farm an infantry-resource towerfight, refilling one group of nades while throwing another. rip

Edit: Throwing in my 2-cents about factions.

Mattherson is the canon/role-playing server, so:

TR: Fascism - charismatic leader, total chaos after he's gone. The racism is still there though!
NC: Capitalists - only motivation to fight is cert gain, is more likely to compete against other NC than work with them.
VS: technophile cultists - like their laser toys and want to define everyone's fun.

If those general traits don't exist on other servers, they aren't playing their faction right.

YoursTruly fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 5, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

How the gently caress do you survive a headshot, a body shot, and a quickknife after your shield breaks?

He popped a medkit and hes laggy. They should remove all medkits and just make it the regen one cause thats stupid as hell.

VideoGameReference
Jun 18, 2013

I'm taking this word.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arghy posted:

He popped a medkit =

Nah he doesn't. You can't see it in the webm, but he pulls out his sidearm, not a medkit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YoursTruly posted:

Edit: Throwing in my 2-cents about factions.

Mattherson is the canon/role-playing server, so:

TR: Fascism - charismatic leader, total chaos after he's gone. The racism is still there though!
NC: Capitalists - only motivation to fight is cert gain, is more likely to compete against other NC than work with them.
VS: technophile cultists - like their laser toys and want to define everyone's fun.

If those general traits don't exist on other servers, they aren't playing their faction right.

I'll just quote myself:

quote:

NC play PS2 like it's a highschool Quake LAN party and they're just starting to feel the weed brownies kick in.
TR play PS2 like it's Red Orchestra 2 and they're wearing a full set of 100% authentic WW2 uniforms.
VS play PS2 like it's Counter-Strike and they're playing the Dreamhack quarter-finals.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

PS2's networking makes me think of that scene from Valkyrie where the telegraph operators simultaneously receive an order from Hitler to arrest the rebels, and an order from the rebels to arrest Hitler. "Our job is not to interpret the orders. Our job is to pass them along. Regardless."

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

NihilCredo posted:

I'll just quote myself:

Please don't in the future, thanks!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I just got my GTX 970 in today, what settings can I change to make the game look pretty? I only have an i5 4570, though.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Turn everything on Ultra and turn shadows off.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ryuga Death posted:

I just got my GTX 970 in today, what settings can I change to make the game look pretty? I only have an i5 4570, though.

After you do the normal tweaks (Ultra, etc) go into your useroptions.ini and change the renderquality to either 1.22 or 1.45.

1.22 is 50% extra pixels, 1.45 is 2x. So 1.22 increases GPU load by 1.5x and 1.45 by 2x. You can safely do 1.22 and you should still be CPU bound in most situations, and 1.45 depending on your overall system performance.

The improvement is quite noticeable and really improves the picture quality and textures.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Speaking of graphics options, from the chat a night or two ago on the mumble, it sounded like there were specific options that run better when not put on low. What are the options? I'm mostly limited by CPU but GPU pops up sometimes. It would be nice going from an average of 20 to 30 or 40.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2odrqb/the_receiving_end_of_a_lancer_farm/?sort=new

quote:

Well GOKU is good at making people leave this game, remember the angry joe event ?

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Halve the Lancer's maximum range, but allow it to hold a charge indefinitely and allow other Lancer's to fire at a friendly Lancer to multi-charge it like a Prism Tower from Red Alert 2. Give all participating Lancers a portion of the XP. Killing a multi-charged Lancer user before they fire produces an AOE explosion proportional to the held charge.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/horn-spam.198106/

Oh you rascally GOONs, quit killing tryhard immersion :argh:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

We cannot get out. The end comes. Horns, horns on the road. They are coming.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The one true meta.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pand posted:

We cannot get out. The end comes. Horns, horns on the road. They are coming.

They're going to be so happy that tonight is HONK OPS

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

o muerte posted:

It's part of the annual xmas event, snowmen are already popping on Esamir too. Pro tip for snowmen if you're in a vehicle: have your gunner shoot them, everyone gets a chunk of XP. If just the driver shoots them no one gets assist xp.

Wasn't there a thing where if you killed snowmen just right it gave the entire squad xp? Or was that a test server thing, or was that something different all together?

Maybe I'm thinking of an entire squad is in a shortbus and one of the gunners shoots the snowman.

Ryuga Death posted:

Set the render quality to 20% and tell me what kind of frames you get

Fart Car '97 posted:

This poo poo happens to me far too often. Or I'll get a body shot with the ghost, whip out my side arm and put a few into them then knife and still die to the other guy and his shields are barely broken.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.twitch.tv/nivx
nivx has decided to release his hacks!!!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

what happened posted:

those snap turns he makes are breaking my brain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what happened posted:

Is he planetside-famous?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

kalstrams posted:

Is he planetside-famous?

He's famous for being a lag wizard

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

They're going to be so happy that tonight is HONK OPS

Every night is HONK ops :colbert:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

what happened posted:

Holy poo poo so that is the Beetlejuice?

Must be loving nice you limp-dicked VS crutch assaults.

Real Edit: So he decided to run his lovely twitch with all his literal hacks and cheats turned off. Legit question, how does he maintain that persistent yellow chevron crosshair? Is it a byproduct of cheats?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 6, 2014

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
its a triangular recoil reducer

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I use a round yellow and pink recoil reducer, with hash marks underneath to show me just how much the recoil doesn't exist.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What do I want on my carnage? And what rail should I go with for my reaper?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Leal posted:

The rule with most NC weapons is to put on anything that can reduce recoil. However, the Carnage can actually be pretty good with the ALS simply because of the absurd fire rate.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Leal posted:

Carnage is one of those bullet hoses? Put ALS on that and fire from the hip at their heads. Reaper is compensator and grip, sight of choice.

Speaking of which: I've been working toward getting a fortuna so, I'm playing with the mercenary now. I actually prefer to just put a laser sight on it rather than a grip. I've had much better results being able to spray from the hip.

Broose fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 6, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gaghskull posted:

The rule with most NC weapons is to put on anything that can reduce recoil. However, the Carnage can actually be pretty good with the ALS simply because of the absurd fire rate.

And because the Carnage doesn't really have all that much recoil. It's more of a VS gun that escaped to the NC.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
the carnage is literally an orion for medic

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Kinda want to go back and try the Carnage and GR-22 again, but I can't put down the world's deadliest sewing machine, the Tross.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Ah my god look at that VS hip action going on here. Unf.

Also apparently there's a comic being made about planetmans? Here:
http://imgur.com/a/UeEKf

e: Oh nevermind. It was scrapped.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 6, 2014

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Broose posted:

Kinda want to go back and try the Carnage and GR-22 again, but I can't put down the world's deadliest sewing machine, the Tross.

Gr-22 is the biggest piece of hot garbage that is specific to the NC medic. If you want a bullet hose, use a Carnage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
^ you're hot garbage

GR-22 and Carnage both have .75 ADS so don't forget that poo poo.

• Locked thread