Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
also why are all the controls and electronics that keep vader alive on his chest where they are most likely to be damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

TOILETLORD posted:

also why are all the controls and electronics that keep vader alive on his chest where they are most likely to be damaged.

You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY&t=110s

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the best part about this is that it manages to pull off a better lightsaber fight than the prequels

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
since vader can see the future, why did he not just choke the poo poo out of batman before batman could do anything did anything? Some sad EU here.

Batman vs cad bane or boba fett i could see.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Woolie Wool posted:

You don't mean that literally, do you? So the Star Wars EU has pedophilia and bestiality now?

Well, I'll let you read my jump down the rabbit hole: (requires archives)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TOILETLORD posted:

Batman vs cad bane or boba fett i could see.

Darth Vader vs Dr Doom would have been a better match than Vader vs Batman. Doom at least has tech + sorcery.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 5, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Professor Shark posted:

The new lightsaber at least addresses the hand guard issue that lightsabers have, too bad it looks dumb as poo poo.

it actually owns, hth

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

IronicDongz posted:

it actually owns, hth

looks like a man who had to spend his life lifting with his back and had a few disc slip.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh snap. Those 3 minutes were better than the whole of the prequels combined though that is a very low bar. No dance fighting, dudes were swinging for kills. Surprising excellent costumes. The sourced lines were well used. Some of the effects were rough, but given the budget it was admirable. Even the camera shaking wasn't bad as it was controlled unlike every other director in Hollywood who seem to hire seizure patients for camera work.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

if that was from a dc comics person batman would have won because he prepared and had a shield of anti force materials or some dumb poo poo batman always has

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was going to post a link to Troy Denning's future after the Star Wars EU was cancelled for laughs, but it looks like he is returning to writing D&D books, so he's set for life.

There's nothing that fanbase loves more the serious and gritty rape mixed with insane super-powers.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I have no idea what I just read. :psyduck:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Woolie Wool posted:

I have no idea what I just read. :psyduck:

troy denning is literally the worst star wars writer which says a hell of a lot

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SirPhoebos posted:

Keep in mind that both authors on their own are poo poo-dispensing Sampos (Sampoes?)

Karen might have gotten some points in grasping that fans were tired of the EU jerking off the Jedi at every turn, but she loses them by jerking off the Mandolorians (I'm sorry, MANDOS) just as vigorously. Plus she takes professed glee in completely misinterpreting major characters. That might be okay if it's for a one-off book, but not in a serial with a professed continuity. And she handles professional criticism in the same manner as a meatball football fan being told in mid August that their team might not be good.

As for Troy Denning, he's the author that came up with "Bug Orgies". The less said about that, the better.

Don't forget unironic use of the words "fandalorian" and "talifan". Oh the travissty~~~

e:I almost forgot: if you hate mandalorians and like jedi you are literally hitler, too

ThePutty posted:

i'll never figure out in my lifetime why george lucas felt this was essential to return of the jedi

jedi is already suffering from a lot of dumb stuff and this was the scene he needed to add, it boggles my mind

Well you see George Lucas has obviously heard of Chekhov's Gun so he had to show the rancor trapdoor at some point in a really obvious and hamfisted way :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blowfish posted:

Don't forget unironic use of the words "fandalorian" and "talifan". Oh the travissty~~~

e:I almost forgot: if you hate mandalorians and like jedi you are literally hitler, too

I remember that when the New Jedi Order series started, all the writers involved had to meet regularly, discuss the overall plot, and make sure everything would mesh together. Because they got to kill an original character, Chewbacca, everyone seemed to take it seriously and there was a huge amount of collaboration between the various writers. People who got the Jedi stories would make sure the non-Jedi characters acted the same way, major events were planned out well in advance, and even with so many different authors there was a sense of continuity to the storytelling at least.

It's a hilarious state of affairs that the last 10 books of the Star Wars Legends series consisted of 2 authors so obsessed with their own fanfiction they more or less contradicted each other every chance they got and took their own obsession to higher and higher levels.

From what people have said online, Traviss' books weren't really bad until she started getting antagonistic towards the canon and then lost her loving mind trying to make 'Mandos' the greatest heros in the galaxy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, whole lot of fans of the Star Wars Extended Universe in this thread.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

david... posted:

if that was from a dc comics person batman would have won because he prepared and had a shield of anti force materials or some dumb poo poo batman always has

Pretty sure there is a lizard you can carry around that cancels out Force powers, plus that metal that shorts out lightsabers for a period of time depending on who is writing it. But yeah it always boils down to "how much prep time does Batman need to beat that guy" and not can he.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

SirPhoebos posted:

Ahahaha I miss that thread and Ensign Rickey's readings of the Bane series.

You are a prince among goons for diving into that particular series though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, whole lot of fans of the Star Wars Extended Universe in this thread.

I tell you what I'm not a fan of, the darksaber in Force Unleased. It has this cool graphic that looked like waving black fire in your inventory before it's unlocked, then when you get it, it's just a flat black bar that you use to censor stormtrooper nip slips with. :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Darth Vader vs Dr Doom would have been a better match than Vader vs Batman. Doom at least has tech + sorcery.

doom completely stomps vader in every department

:goonsay:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I just stick with the X-wing books because I like fighter pilots and astronauts and X-wing fighters are basically both.

my favorite bit is when Piggy (a Gamorean pilot) captures a mini imperial corvette with a jury rigged one use missile/spaceship + the cannon of an X-wing that they altered to make it into a big-rear end handheld riffle. The 'ship' (made from a smuggler's compartment) shot into the corvette's open cargo bay door and Piggy exited and took the whole ship hostage with the cannon after frying the captain. Seriously badass imo

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

platedlizard posted:

I just stick with the X-wing books because I like fighter pilots and astronauts and X-wing fighters are basically both.

my favorite bit is when Piggy (a Gamorean pilot) captures a mini imperial corvette with a jury rigged one use missile/spaceship + the cannon of an X-wing that they altered to make it into a big-rear end handheld riffle. The 'ship' (made from a smuggler's compartment) shot into the corvette's open cargo bay door and Piggy exited and took the whole ship hostage with the cannon after frying the captain. Seriously badass imo

Great action can be found in many books but the Wraith Squadron series was to my knowledge the first Star Wars series written by someone with an actual sense of humor, and that poo poo was a first for the entire saga movies included.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

troy denning is literally the worst star wars writer which says a hell of a lot

Like how he treats all the women in his books? In Tempest, I think, he has two Dark Jedi butcher a female jedi and pin her dismembered body parts all over a public park. And he also made seventy year old Princess Leia dress up like a stripper with four arms.

Oh, and he wrote about bug orgies.

If women aren't loving in his novels, they're being beaten, or raping teenage boys.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
What's the most sexist thing in the EU?

What's the most racist thing in the EU?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Whatev posted:

What's the most sexist thing in the EU?

What's the most racist thing in the EU?

not only can they not drive but asians cannot even fly

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Great action can be found in many books but the Wraith Squadron series was to my knowledge the first Star Wars series written by someone with an actual sense of humor, and that poo poo was a first for the entire saga movies included.

Which made the sad parts where someone died or was traumatized genuinely touching. Ton Phanon's death affected me more than Chewy's because his relationship with Face felt much more real than whatever was going on with that dumb moon.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

not only can they not drive but asians cannot even fly

trillions of cubic miles of space and thsi clown somehow hits the biggest ship of the bunch. ugh. learn to drive!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk in that empire at war game vader's special power was lifting a vehicle into the air and crushing it into a ball

i think he would gently caress batman or dr doom up

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i had a manager who was a star wars nut who thought he could beat the hulk.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I tell you what I'm not a fan of, the darksaber in Force Unleased. It has this cool graphic that looked like waving black fire in your inventory before it's unlocked, then when you get it, it's just a flat black bar that you use to censor stormtrooper nip slips with. :(

That whole game was loving terrible. I regret the $2 and time I wasted on the sequel.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

PostNouveau posted:

That whole game was loving terrible. I regret the $2 and time I wasted on the sequel.

Weren't those games as canon as the movies, according to Lucas? I remember reading something like that in the last "eu is awful" thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

Weren't those games as canon as the movies, according to Lucas? I remember reading something like that in the last "eu is awful" thread

gently caress, how many secret apprentices did Vader have then?

Edit: 10. He had 10.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
No lovely sci-fi pulp story is complete without loving cat people

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Catuman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TOILETLORD posted:

he was a sleeper agent with implanted memories, by darth vader to lead to a noble death that would erase the harm that he did to the universe.

TOILETLORD posted:

wait i'm just checking everyone knows i made that poo poo up about vader right? The EU is so dumb that poo poo sounded plausible.

I was just looking through that link someone posted about Vader's many many secret apprentices and it turns out that plausible sounding poo poo you made up is actually fairly close to actual EU content. Vader actually did use a secret agent with implanted memories to organise a rebellion and kick off a galactic civil war which would give him a chance to assassinate Emperor Palpatine. The agent died a noble death when he fought Palpatine in order to let the rebel leaders escape his clutches.

(Also it turns out that the rebel alliance that Luke and Leia get involved in was totally Vader's idea all along.)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

platedlizard posted:

Which made the sad parts where someone died or was traumatized genuinely touching. Ton Phanon's death affected me more than Chewy's because his relationship with Face felt much more real than whatever was going on with that dumb moon.

Its a drat shame that no matter how many times i read those books, he still dies

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so has 'literally all of it' been posted sufficiently enough yet? i don't think it has

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was just looking through that link someone posted about Vader's many many secret apprentices and it turns out that plausible sounding poo poo you made up is actually fairly close to actual EU content. Vader actually did use a secret agent with implanted memories to organise a rebellion and kick off a galactic civil war which would give him a chance to assassinate Emperor Palpatine. The agent died a noble death when he fought Palpatine in order to let the rebel leaders escape his clutches.

(Also it turns out that the rebel alliance that Luke and Leia get involved in was totally Vader's idea all along.)

Way to completely gently caress over one of the greatest evil villains ever by making him secretly good all along.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

No lovely sci-fi pulp story is complete without loving cat people

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Catuman

lol catuman husbando

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

david... posted:

lol catuman husbando

Ah yes the furry wapanese market that must be catered to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I like the drawing of the sexy Felucian

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Felucian

• Locked thread