Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While it hosed up many, MANY things, Wildstar housing was pretty drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I promise to be a marginally better poster in the thread

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
All true.
One thing UO had going for it that made it worth while was that back in that age, not as many people MMO'd and they had multiple servers with a couple character limit each to them. With that it didn't take long to make an alt and use it. That combined with player attrition made it reasonable to get a spot in a remote place no one checks cus it's pretty loving remote.

When the carebear world came out (exact copy world you could warp to with less pvp) it became sort of a house rush as that point the population was gaining (which was the reason for the alternate world)

With modern multi-server MMO design I think instanced housing in the world could exist. WoW has instanced content that depends on your quest and it is pretty seamless. 2 dudes could be standing on the same spot but "out of phase". Modern MMOs do have a lot of quest content, and they tend not to waste space between cities/zones unlike UO did. UO had a lot of open space and 90% of it was water or loving trees.

Housing zone in archeage are a decent idea, but the entire point of them in AA revolves too much around scarcity VS usefulness. They're big enough to potentially see value for making a tiny player made market area (fellowship plazas kinda do this); however, that's just a waste of farmable space to get more gold. With as much grinding is a goldsink in the game it's not benefitial unless people run gilda runs a lot with it.
Maybe if Archeage had a better economy, which won't happen if they play the luck/punishment game in crafting rather than outside of crafting. (they cannot reasonably do both without being a shittier game)

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 6, 2014

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmm ...

If there is anyone on Naima, or able to be on Naima West, who would be willing to infiltrate a guild to give some payback, I'd appreciate it. I'm not in a goon clan for this game, nor have been involved on this thread ... but I'm asking for a favor from a stranger.

backstory: my clan was stupid, we got friendly and nice and invited someone we didn't know to guild last night ... we're a small group of friends who have a member or three that excels at making a "merc" guild "who totally doesn't care" very personally angry by killing them in Hasla (gotta fight for the right, yo) and repeatedly for fun in Mermaid's Tears (because "tears"). So they scoped us out, and one joined our guild and overnight proceeded to gut all the guild opened lands. No big. We were stupid, lesson learned. except ...

... they chose to steal and destroy everything from one of our members who is completely uninvolved. She's been out of game because of chemo ... cancer reappeared. She's 18 yo and just a ton of fun when not sick as poo poo. Solid healer and willing to harpoon her clipper to anything in the cause of mayhem and insane laughter. Her land was opened to guild while she was seeing the docs so guildies could take care of her. Last night they stole about 40 larder packs, then destroyed her cow pens, all her standing larders, and everything of value from her thatched and surrounding 8x8's. We were going to treat her to a guild merchant ship run for goodness and "bloop bloop bloop" mail notifications, and a small lift from the IRL crap. Instead she came back, her first day back, to a barren nothingness. We didn't even have time to replace and pretend.

And yeah, I'm mad. She was fatalistic, I'm damned angry. They have us pretty well scoped out, so if there's anyone who is willing to help get some payback, please pm me. We're certainly going to do our damnedest to pay them our disrespects back in game, but I'd like something more than a merchant ship or two fed to the pirates or the kraken.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
You shouldn't get angry at video games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's really hosed up man, I'm sorry

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That's hosed up, but you should probably remember that the guy who screwed you over (probably?) didn't know about your cancer friends lands. Just chalk it up to a welp, pass the hat around the guild and buy her something nice. Or everyone make enough packs and donate to her that she still gets the same amount after the 20% crafter cut. Doesn't seem like that big of a thing to recover from.

Normally I'd just say "sorry you shouldn't have left that poo poo open" but yeah, that's a little different situation since the person is probably trying to enjoy all the time they have.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's a real dick move and I hope you get those guys back for it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats some excellent non-combat pvp. I wish I could have done that

My best dick move was when I found a massive illegal farm with the owner still there. He paid me 100g to leave which was decent money for launch week. I went back with an alt and he paid the alt too. I logged into a friends account and he refused to pay so I started uprooting all his fruiting trees. Then he broke down and started begging not to take the only good thing he had left in life. I finished wrecking his poo poo and then his guild started to message me about how depressed he was and I was a terrible person. I got a good 2 weeks of using his spot before I stopped playing. He had a 50 with the $150 patron pack and I never saw him log on again.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2014

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Oh speaking of patron packs, I guess I'll publicly shame myself and say I bought one. On the other hand, I also charged back because of how completely incompetent trion is with literally everything including making a playable game. So, got my 150 back at least! Never preordering a game again.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
trion didn't make a playable game

If you could play archeage right now and it was better, that still wasn't trion

trion hosts servers and does some translation work and then says how the creators of the game could change it for the local audience then the game creators do what ever they want and send it to trion

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

True, they didn't make the game, but they were responsible for taking my money and promising a playable game. They didn't deliver. The hacks alone make the game unplayable considering the people that get caught are only temp banned and then allowed back. Plus everything else. I could make a big list but really is it even necessary? I explained it to my CC company and even they were convinced enough to do a chargeback.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

I know whaling is sort of a general problem, but Scott Hartsman is such a huge fan of it. I imagine a lot of the poo poo we see in AA's cash shop will be making their way to Rift, if they haven't already.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I'm a gay baby and want to play this but I never want to deal with anything but PVE - is that a possibility? I have only got to level 15 in the past so I would like to see what the higher levels are like but I never want to get killed by a player because like as I mentioned I'm a gay baby.

Popoie
Jun 30, 2006
I am probably to dumb to understand the OP, but are there any EU guilds, and on what server? All the guilds in the OP seems to be US East or West. Is the lag an issue if i play on US servers from EU?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'm not sure about the lag from EU but I regularly play with an Aussie who seems to do okay.

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

It is dick move, made by a group too weak to hit us in battle, but not a great dick move. Because it really missed the mark and hit the wrong place. Instead of weakening us, a group that was leaving game soon, it instead will keep us in there long enough to f'them over. They have a medium sized guild, probably 100 or so members. We have 20. Our 5 PVPers basically rip them apart in any encounter where they've purpled on us. Over and over. And now our best PVPers are coming back to play with the food for a few weeks. If this person or guild had bothered to really do their homework they would have
1.) known about her situation,
2.) known where the true guild resources were, and
3.) known that the true guild resources were in the hands of the people that were pwning them -- they got peanuts compared to what was available and they got it from the wrong people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrannyW posted:

It is dick move, made by a group too weak to hit us in battle, but not a great dick move. Because it really missed the mark and hit the wrong place. Instead of weakening us, a group that was leaving game soon, it instead will keep us in there long enough to f'them over. They have a medium sized guild, probably 100 or so members. We have 20. Our 5 PVPers basically rip them apart in any encounter where they've purpled on us. Over and over. And now our best PVPers are coming back to play with the food for a few weeks. If this person or guild had bothered to really do their homework they would have
1.) known about her situation,
2.) known where the true guild resources were, and
3.) known that the true guild resources were in the hands of the people that were pwning them -- they got peanuts compared to what was available and they got it from the wrong people.

In what way are you going to "f'them over"? Is it something besides beat them in instanced arena matches that mean nothing to anybody?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Chomp8645 posted:

In what way are you going to "f'them over"? Is it something besides beat them in instanced arena matches that mean nothing to anybody?

Gonna release a diss track. Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExitLAP6F9U

Morglon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 6, 2014

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

There is a world of possibility now that there is motivation, to date we've kept our aggression reserved for reds. However, in Hasla, in Sanddeep/Halcyona/etc, fishing, on the open ocean, on the trade routes to Sanddeep, etc. opportunities abound.

GrannyW fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 6, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I hope you record your retribution for posterity and so that we of the Archeage thread can judge if your truly f'ed'them'ed over!

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

I'm not a mastermind, but we'll do our best.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

GrannyW posted:

I'm not a mastermind

I'll say

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

Sweet of you to notice and comment! I asked for help on the recommendation of several long time goons from other games I play. "Ask in the AA forum" we eat this poo poo up. *shrugs* so I did. They have more faith in SA than I do, but it's worth a shot at getting help. As I said, we're small (if aggressive) in AA.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey don't be mean to GrannyW. The man has plans for epic ownage and I think he should be given a chance to deliver before he gets mocked!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

atlas of bugs posted:

jesus christ

Atlas is like the UN inspector that goes into 1990s Bosnia and all the Bosnians (Fishing goons, goons still trying to play AA, god bless them) are like NO WORRY! ALL FINE HERE NOTHING TO SEE!

As most of the other goons' characters are dead in a mass grave behind them, because they went on to play other games.

In related news, we can build a castle in Everquest Next. :3

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Yep, welcome to the AA thread.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

GrannyW posted:

Sweet of you to notice and comment! I asked for help on the recommendation of several long time goons from other games I play. "Ask in the AA forum" we eat this poo poo up. *shrugs* so I did. They have more faith in SA than I do, but it's worth a shot at getting help. As I said, we're small (if aggressive) in AA.

It does really suck that that happened to your friend, and I agree with people saying to have a whip 'round and buy her something nice. I do hope you can bother them enough to regret ripping them off, but I also hope you guys learned your lesson and that if you're a tight knit group with land set to guild, don't invite non friends. When I started recruiting from the general public for GS, I did so with the knowledge that almost no one in GS has anything set to guild, because even goons will steal from goons. My friend Sulley got ripped off a few times, but he's a gentleman and didn't call anyone out.

In the end, its a game and sometimes bad things happen. Just gotta shrug it off and find something fun to do. Like WARFRAME!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Bukowski called it right. There's a variation of the old saying, "I drink to make others more interesting," and it goes, "I don't set land to guild to make guildies more honest."

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Kimsemus posted:

Atlas is like the UN inspector that goes into 1990s Bosnia and all the Bosnians (Fishing goons, goons still trying to play AA, god bless them) are like NO WORRY! ALL FINE HERE NOTHING TO SEE!

As most of the other goons' characters are dead in a mass grave behind them, because they went on to play other games.

In related news, we can build a castle in Everquest Next. :3

Yeah but you have to pay for every voxel with real money.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So we just went through a terrible KMMO cashgrab with ArcheAge and you guys are already looking towards the next KMMO? Good lord. It's gonna be my new practice to check in on a game's SA thread 3 months after release, and if things haven't imploded yet maybe it's something worth looking at.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Wushu was fun but the cash shop wasn't that bad and hacking was more rampent. It was a more fun broken game.

They can be good, but a lot people need to approach them with a different mentality than they did with archeage.

EDIT: by that I mean approach it as a fun game, not a game to dominate markets / land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKtNyFIo7A

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

ruffz posted:

So we just went through a terrible KMMO cashgrab with ArcheAge and you guys are already looking towards the next KMMO? Good lord. It's gonna be my new practice to check in on a game's SA thread 3 months after release, and if things haven't imploded yet maybe it's something worth looking at.

Sure the game will probably be trash.
But don't you wanna be in on the ground floor?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Meowbot posted:

I'm a gay baby and want to play this but I never want to deal with anything but PVE - is that a possibility? I have only got to level 15 in the past so I would like to see what the higher levels are like but I never want to get killed by a player because like as I mentioned I'm a gay baby.

Yes, it is possible. Easy, even. Just don't go into the PVP zones. Most of the PVP zones go into peace occasionally, so you can even do all the quest content without being at risk from other players.

The only real problem you'll have is finding a house or large farm. Land in the safe zones is valuable. You should be able to find space for a small garden easily enough though. Or you can play without farming at all. The most valuable trade routes involve the unsafe areas, but they are optional.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ruffz posted:

I picked this up from the CTS group with Grithok, etc

but I buy bad games and play them

its now my thing

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Eonwe posted:

I picked this up from the CTS group with Grithok, etc

but I buy bad games and play them

its now my thing

So you're going back to Guild Wars then?

Vespsianus
Nov 29, 2014

Even Gramps is better at internet wizardry than you whippersnappers this shitlord.

:gitgud:

Meowbot posted:

I'm level 50 and own 3 large farms, a clipper ship, fishing boat. 500 gold and a farm cart and have never done any pvp at all.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

EDIT: by that I mean approach it as a fun game, not a game to dominate markets / land

The main problem with ArcheAge was how crafted gear was kind of an arms race that rewarded rich and lucky poopsockers who dumped thousands of gold into the RNG hell.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Unguided posted:

The main problem with ArcheAge was how crafted gear was kind of an arms race that rewarded rich and lucky poopsockers who dumped thousands of gold into the RNG hell.

Well, with plenty of hacking and APEX exploits, luck became far less necessary for plenty of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bait and Swatch posted:

Well, with plenty of hacking and APEX exploits, luck became far less necessary for plenty of people.

there was never any hacking or exploits. bad players just tell themselves that to feel better about how far ahead everyone else is.

• Locked thread