Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah the "Hand of Fate"s are terrific. It's amazing what he can whip up with basically just three notes at his disposal. I do love the movie too so that just adds to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Appropriate to the thread title, loved Zimmer's work for Interstellar. It's a bit more melodic than his other Nolan scores but has a cool 2001 vibe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
James Newton's Howard is probably my favorite of the big composers working. His scores for the Hunger Games movies are wonderful, especially the Rue theme that then became the theme of the start of revolution in the second film. In the new film, his slow working of a choir and strings behind Jennifer Lawrence's vocals in The Hanging Tree is astoundingly good and makes that sequence in the film breathtaking.

He also has the ability to write amazing scores for mediocre-to-terrible movies. The Last Airbender has wonderful music for all of it's downright shittiness.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
How has nobody mentioned the best film score of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp0EW4ReZcA

If you haven't seen Under the Skin you definitely should, and if you like the music you should check out Micachu's new mixtape.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The music was the only thing I really liked in that movie. It was really good, and spooky.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

Appropriate to the thread title, loved Zimmer's work for Interstellar. It's a bit more melodic than his other Nolan scores but has a cool 2001 vibe.

Admittedly I don't know much about music, but I swear to god my ears did a double take because he actually did a song in a major key vs. a minor.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

HP Hovercraft posted:

Into The Woods technically hasn't released yet so I figured I'd wait until it did next week.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HP Hovercraft posted:

Michael Fassbender for Best Up And Coming Artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-9OPkABTdY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Agreed. The huge organ chords that drown everything out periodically are a perfect sonic representation of "awe" -- something incomprehensibly powerful that's both amazing and terrifying. "The Wormhole" does a great job of conveying the feeling of eerie finality that keeps coming up through the film as they keep hitting various points of temporal no-return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-xaPDC0io

In other news, who is going to do the music for the new Star Wars films? John Williams I assume but he's getting on in age...has he considered passing the torch?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Giacchino, considering he's already taking over for Williams (ignoring Don Davis here) for Jurassic World and he's worked with Abrams a bunch in the past. Wouldn't be a bad choice at all, if it came to that. I still think Williams will do it though.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The only film which is confirmed as yet is Williams scoring Episode 7.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Giacchino, considering he's already taking over for Williams (ignoring Don Davis here) for Jurassic World and he's worked with Abrams a bunch in the past.

Abrams is out after Episode 7, though.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
If they are making the Boba Fett movie, I hope they somehow get Morricone involved.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Giacchino, considering he's already taking over for Williams (ignoring Don Davis here) for Jurassic World and he's worked with Abrams a bunch in the past. Wouldn't be a bad choice at all, if it came to that. I still think Williams will do it though.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Giacchino's scores have a great sense of adventure and are epic without being too dark. If anyone is to replace Williams for the next generation, it'd be him.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

His John Carter score is as much an awesome John Williams homage as anything. Seriously, it's a great soundtrack.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Interesting panel get together here. My inner teenager finds the whole Trent-hanging-with-these-seasoned-old-composer-dudes thing a little mindblowing, same way as Clint Mansell will always be a Poppie to me, amazing scores be damned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAF9_ZHjfc

Also, the way Zimmer talks about Nolan almost like they're an adoring couple is endearing/hilarious.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I really hope Reznor feels like an impostor sitting at that table goddammit.

...alright, alright, I promise I'll never mention him or my rage about him again.

Also: Into the Woods is a pro-listen. I was worried about the transition from stage to screen but I think they've pulled it off nicely. The inclusion of a lot of incidental tracks is a nice bonus, as well.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

John Carpenter is putting out an album called "Lost Themes". You can listen to the first track here.
http://johncarpenter.sacredbonesrecords.com

It's definitely close to his other soundtracks but that's a good thing.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here is a thing:

I was unaware that this was a common practice by Mr. Mann.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

ComposerGuy posted:

I really hope Reznor feels like an impostor sitting at that table goddammit.

...alright, alright, I promise I'll never mention him or my rage about him again.

Yeah. Please don't.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
How are we feeling about the Best Score noms? I actually haven't had a chance to listen to any but Interstellar and Grand Budapest. Notable snubs?

This generally felt like a more "down" year for scores. Not that there aren't great ones. Just further between the notables than usual.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

How are we feeling about the Best Score noms? I actually haven't had a chance to listen to any but Interstellar and Grand Budapest. Notable snubs?

The biggest surprise to me was that Ross / Reznor didn't get a nomination for Gone Girl.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Imitation Game had a pretty decent Desplat score but I honestly can't remember the Grand Budapest Hotel score to save my life. The other nominated ones I haven't heard -- I'm saving my listen of Interstellar once I actually see the movie which I haven't yet. Also surprised by Reznor not getting nominated considering how Gone Girl got so many nominations anyway, though I didn't much care for the score myself.

As for snubs, the Steven Price score for Fury is quite growing on me I have to say. Not sure if it qualifies as a snub but I'm kind of surprised it hasn't gotten more of a mention.

I thought about Newton Howard's score for Nightcrawler too but I think I might be biased there by the gimmick of the score rather than the actual quality.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

This generally felt like a more "down" year for scores. Not that there aren't great ones. Just further between the notables than usual.

I loved The Theory of Everything as a movie, but I don't know why it was nominated for best score. The ending song over the last scene and the credits is the only song I found memorable, and it was taken from a different film. It was a great use of the song, but how does voting for something like this work? Does everyone in the academy get to vote on "hey, I liked that music, I guess," or is it only musical background people who know what songs were actually composed for the film?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Interstellar is actually the only score I liked this year, outside of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I'm happy Zimmer finally "woke up" and did something interesting, so I kind of want him to win another so he's inspired to not go back to the well as much in the future.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darko posted:

Interstellar is actually the only score I liked this year, outside of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I'm happy Zimmer finally "woke up" and did something interesting, so I kind of want him to win another so he's inspired to not go back to the well as much in the future.

Very much this. I finally sat down and just listened to the entire score and it's a treat. Where's this Zimmer been for the last few years?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

John Carpenter's album is available today.
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Themes-John-Carpenter/dp/B00P2XKBEU/

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

More or less agree with this. I was pleasantly surprised by Zimmer's effort for Interstellar. HtTYD2 was good, but I thought fell a little short of the original's greatness.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Anybody else heard Michael Giacchino's score for Jupiter Ascending? It's a shame that an epic score like this will likely go mostly unnoticed if the movie is a critical and box office failure, which is exactly what happened with Giacchino's excellent score for John Carter.

From what I've heard so far, this score from Jupiter Ascending is outstanding. Giacchino just knows how to do "space opera" and the type of big, bombastic, thematic movie scores that we don't seem to get enough of anymore.

I've said it before, but I honestly wish Giacchino was scoring The Force Awakens. I love John Williams, but I think Giacchino could have infused something new and great to the Star Wars saga, just as we all hope JJ Abrams is doing. Giacchino is evidently bursting at the seams to deliver a grandiose space opera score worthy of Star Wars, but the poor guy needs a quality hit movie to attach it to.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'll check out that score. But, yes, all too often, great scores get under-heard because of being attached to mediocre or crap films.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darko posted:

I'll check out that score. But, yes, all too often, great scores get under-heard because of being attached to mediocre or crap films.

Case in point: Lady in the Water. Fantastic score.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Phylodox posted:

Case in point: Lady in the Water. Fantastic score.

And Wing Commander.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
X-Men: The Last Stand had a killer score, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

X-Men: The Last Stand had a killer score, too.

Easily the best of the series, but that's what happens when you hire John Powell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was really harsh on X-3's score when I first heard it. I really loved the theme of X2 and I wish that was carried over....but that being said, yes, X-3's score is far superior and the best of the series. John Powell's scores mostly surpass the film they're made for like Evolution, which I find to be an underrated score.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I feel like I'm pretty critical of Zimmer but Interstellar was pretty great, even if it still followed his typical 4 bars repeating and growing formula.

I think even Nolan wants Zimmer to win it this year because he mixed the score to be front and center of the movie. :v:

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Sith Happens posted:

I've said it before, but I honestly wish Giacchino was scoring The Force Awakens. I love John Williams, but I think Giacchino could have infused something new and great to the Star Wars saga, just as we all hope JJ Abrams is doing. Giacchino is evidently bursting at the seams to deliver a grandiose space opera score worthy of Star Wars, but the poor guy needs a quality hit movie to attach it to.

Giacchino is massively over-rated and can't write a memorable sci-fi theme to save his life. John Carter certainly wasn't it. His Star Trek scores are terrible. He's been coasting since The Incredibles and Up as far as I'm concerned, definitely not the right guy for Star Wars.

John Powell or Alexandre Desplat could probably pull it off though.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

bullet3 posted:

Giacchino is massively over-rated and can't write a memorable sci-fi theme to save his life. John Carter certainly wasn't it. His Star Trek scores are terrible. He's been coasting since The Incredibles and Up as far as I'm concerned, definitely not the right guy for Star Wars.

John Powell or Alexandre Desplat could probably pull it off though.

I'd say those are fightin' words, but different strokes...

Although I remember almost nothing of the movie John Carter, I continue to enjoy the soundtrack and think it's big, bold, sci-fi/fantasy music in the tradition of Star Wars. I really like both his Star Trek scores, and his score for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is surprisingly good and a very fun listen.

I've been listening to his score for Jupiter Ascending for the last couple of days, and I still think it's really good stuff. But if you didn't like his stuff from John Carter, I doubt you'd like Jupiter Ascending any more. Much of it is bombastic fun with some catchy, hummable themes throughout. I probably won't see the movie until it's out on Netflix, but I'm definitely enjoying the music in the meantime.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sith Happens posted:

I agree, though I was afraid that if John Williams didn't get the new Star Wars gig, he might literally die (of a broken heart).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bullet3 posted:

His Star Trek scores are terrible.

The gently caress is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP6o-61e2s