Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

do these guys have an idea of how basic gameplay is supposed to work yet because i'm getting the impression they don't

This is Starbound, not a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

several months after we uprooted people from their homes and made them move to the UK to keep their jobs, we're still not sure how "attacking" and "moving" play a role in our video game

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Boy do they really just need to release something for people to play that isn't a nightly build.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I, what, this thing, another added complexity that throws in a new penalty with no practical benefits to the player :bang: (hope your gun isn't full auto! Ooops you held M1 slightly too long lockdown.)

Nobody can troll people still being hopeful about the game harder than the devs themselves. Even if I will be taking a look at whatever the hell the "Unstable" update is. Right now I'm hoping for "Tolerable" as a high point.

Do the devs test these things without dev cheat codes for any length of time to see how they impact normal gameplay? If so, are they even allowed to say no to these changes? How many of these things are basically Ghost Heat decisions? :pgi:

vvv Oh, so it's not just me then.

Edit two: choice early comment from the official board.

quote:

"Seems a legit change, i hope it doesn't forces us to stop shooting to let energy regenerate causing interruptions during combat."

Did you even read the article, random pubbie?

Though some people maintain some sanity

quote:

Now here's a question... are the NPCs gonna use this too? Because having guards who can fire a machinegun for ten minutes without a break is kinda...

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 6, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
It's great because it is a similar issue to how unfun food was, but instead of fixing it in a similar way, they made it suck in a whole new way.

Dec 5 Dev Blog posted:

The general consensus among the team so far is that getting kicked in the balls feels much better than testicular cancer.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The developers of a video game making no progress on their game except haphazardly changing mechanics so their game becomes a needlessly complex unfun slog in the name of balance, this reminds me of another game :pgi: :pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

edit: BEATEN

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"should we add a mana bar and make pickaxe swings take up mana? we're not sure, it's only been a year since we started selling this game"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I can't tell, is everyone trolling, or not? Do we just not play games? This is the same system used in a lot of games, like with jetpacks or guns that overheat.

The idea is that you can shoot or boost a bunch, in bursts, you just can't hold the button down forever and expect it to keep firing.

The take-away here is that before, if you shot a couple bullets you had to wait a long time to shoot again. Now, your bar recharges faster. You're wrong when you say that makes things less fun.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Whoever said that guns should just vary based on fire rate, mag size and damage totally nailed it. Make the "energy bar" do some sort of super attack when charged up or some poo poo. "Sit and wait because you didn't :spergin: micromanage your energy resource :spergin: well enough" is dumb and stupid.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

XboxPants posted:

I can't tell, is everyone trolling, or not? Do we just not play games? This is the same system used in a lot of games, like with jetpacks or guns that overheat.

The idea is that you can shoot or boost a bunch, in bursts, you just can't hold the button down forever and expect it to keep firing.

The take-away here is that before, if you shot a couple bullets you had to wait a long time to shoot again. Now, your bar recharges faster. You're wrong when you say that makes things less fun.

a) those are actual video games
b) it's not fun in those either

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Starbound!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i haven't played a game in my life actually

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that sounds exactly like mana in terraria except without mana potions and also that locking thing if it empties and also all your movement options in starboard use energy too so now you're even more hosed if you want to shoot a gun and double jump lol.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

i haven't played a game in my life actually

So you own starbound, gone home and metal gear solid 4?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i had to seek consultation about gone home but it looks like i'm in the clear on that statement

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Dec 6 Dev Blog posted:

In an effort to make the tediousness of game mechanics more consistently awful, we decided to revisit how walking and running work. There will now be a stamina bar that goes down as you walk around or move the mouse, and it will deplete faster if you run or do any actions. Replenishing the bar requires eating food, however if you eat too much, your character will need to sit down for a few minutes to poo poo and then take a nap.

Also we are now using your webcam so that whenever you look at the game, the sound of a baby screaming will play, increasing in volume the longer you play. The only way to reset the volume is to kill yourself, like we all wish we could, but we sold our souls to TiySatan and are bound to inflict eternal torment on any mortals foolish enough to pay for this "game".

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i think its pretty cool that after 3 years of making this game theyre starting to nail down some of the most basic fundamental aspects

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

People can genuinely not like things, you know.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I get told "We're working on that to make energy less punishing and less of a slog we swear" in response to my mechanics questions by Norn and then what we get is a brand new lockdown punishment if you double jump too often for the game's liking even if you never use guns. (And in the example video, slowly firing your rifle more than three times is too many times).

That's not exactly "Fun", but it does point in which direction the trolls are.

EDIT: What's also impressive, is that firing four times empties out your bar, but the first shot only takes two bars on a ten unit bar :confused: Seems to go two bars, three bars, two and a half bars, empty. Is this just a test mockup or how the UI actually will work?

Everything that ISN'T combat seems to be shaping up better, but everything that is related to combat or survival just seems to keep tumbling facefirst down the up escalator while the True Fans lap it up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 6, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"This looks good to me" -the ouya retard

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"are square blocks good? maybe not, we've retooled it for hexagons" - developer who moved to the UK in order to be allowed to continue receiving a paycheck for working on the game after several years

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 6, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i wonder how long devs can continue their current lifestyles before they need to try and sell people a new game

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Haskell pirate game :razz:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

I get told "We're working on that to make energy less punishing and less of a slog we swear" in response to my mechanics questions by Norn and then what we get is a brand new lockdown punishment if you double jump too often for the game's liking even if you never use guns. (And in the example video, slowly firing your rifle more than three times is too many times).

That's not exactly "Fun", but it does point in which direction the trolls are.

EDIT: What's also impressive, is that firing four times empties out your bar, but the first shot only takes two bars on a ten unit bar :confused:

I guess we just have different ideas of what constitutes fun. Sure, they've added a new skill-based system that punishes players who play poorly, but it also rewards players who pay attention and play skillfully. It's true that the new system can slow you down, but it can speed you up, as well.

To me, something like that adds depth to the energy mechanic where before there was none, and actually makes the game more interesting.

It seems like one of this game's problems is that it attracted a really wide range. Some of its fans would never touch a game like Super Meat Boy, or even Castlevania. I genuinely hope they add a sandbox mode for people who want to just explore and build for people who find the other elements too much of a slog.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I guess we just have different ideas of what constitutes fun. Sure, they've added a new skill-based system that punishes players who play poorly, but it also rewards players who pay attention and play skillfully. It's true that the new system can slow you down, but it can speed you up, as well.

To me, something like that adds depth to the energy mechanic where before there was none, and actually makes the game more interesting.

It seems like one of this game's problems is that it attracted a really wide range. Some of its fans would never touch a game like Super Meat Boy, or even Castlevania. I genuinely hope they add a sandbox mode for people who want to just explore and build for people who find the other elements too much of a slog.
I guess Godhand isn't as hard and skill required as I thought it was, if even I could get through it and enjoy it. Though I really should get to finishing Super Meatboy one of these days. Sit there and wait even more or get slapped on the wrist isn't "skill", and inconsistent amounts of bar drained for weapons fire just makes less skillful and more just some obtuse system to work AROUND than with. Especially off the back of "Oh don't worry, We're going to make the energy less punishing and awkward" claims in response to questions about guns and the energy system and then getting, well, this. The opposite.

Here are my predictions for my opinions on the Unstable after playing it a while.

Section Z in the future posted:

My expectations going into the Unstable. That just like the old stable, I would think everything not related to combat or survival is really cool, while anything related to combat and survival needed a lot of work to approach "tolerable", let alone enjoyable except for anybody who thinks the devs can do no wrong or refute any dislike with "You filthy casual, this game should be more like darksouls". (A game that's difficulty was overrated, again, even I could get through and enjoy that.)

Outlook after playing unstable for a while.
Everything NOT related to combat or survival, has been greatly improved. Like, holy poo poo that's some good changes :unsmith:
The changes to combat and survival itselelelelelel :psyboom: :bang: :frogsiren: :magical: :suicide: :unsmigghh:

EDIT: vvv Sure, Test how frequently possible your deadly obstacle courses you hide upgrades inside are, without dev tools and editing cuts.

Don't make "Die in three hits" the working-as-intended dev plan for arriving in a new biome tier, to dig up your next tier ore. Including "Dig up your FTL ore on the Cold moon, where you are not allowed to wear proper armor because you need the snow gear to survive the temperature".

Don't put a cooldown on food and bandages, when the developer given examples of your new benefits to make up for that cooldown likely won't even help you survive a single extra attack.

Play your own game your are making normally, and see how much you enjoy it and changes to it personally without cheat codes to fall back on or just excusing it as "Oh well it's Nightly my progress will just be wiped anyways who cares."

If the devs cant manage that, they should just get good and finalize ore drop on death implementation anyways right? They will LOVE reaching the endgame tiers in their own game legitimately or they are just bad at videogames, clearly.

Vib Rib posted:

Look you can't expect them to actually change things into FUN things when they rehaul them.
poo poo don't you remember the dungeon video they put out where even the guy demoing it couldn't get through it

Obviously he just should have avoided getting into that situation to begin with.

Really "Can you honestly say you are having a good time playing to the end of your own game normally" should be some kind of valued measurement in the development process. Even if it was somebody who loved super sloggy things, damnit, they went through that slog without dev tools.

Make Tiy facecam livestream a marathon legit playthrough from spawn to end tier TIA.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 6, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

I guess Godhand isn't as hard and skill required as I thought it was, if even I could get through it and enjoy it. Though I really should get to finishing Super Meatboy one of these days. Sit there and wait even more or get slapped on the wrist isn't "skill"

It's "skill" in a game design sense, like in the phrase "game of skill" rather than "game of chance". You may think it's dumb, but the new system inherently gives more agency to the player. That's a skill-based system.

I will give you one thing: when you say "Sit there and wait even more or get slapped on the wrist isn't 'skill'", you are absolutely right. I agree with you there. While the player technically still has a decision to make in that situation, it's not an interesting one, so it's not a fun one.

What that means is that you have to avoid getting in that situation to begin with. In other words, you have to plan out your combat and movements a little more. This system adds a little bit of strategy to the combat system. You'll run into problems, like needing to recharge so you don't get energy-locked, but then maybe you can try to solve them instead of just giving up? Like, carry a melee in your off-hand. Now you've come up with tactic #1 to fight while recharging.

Anyway, as someone who has made dozens of posts complaining about how incredibly hard the random monsters are in this piss-easy game and how they kill you so much and it's so unbalanced, I'm sure you have a lot to teach us all about skill, so feel free to share some more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

several months after we uprooted people from their homes and made them move to the UK to keep their jobs, we're still not sure how "attacking" and "moving" play a role in our video game
Look you can't expect them to actually change things into FUN things when they rehaul them.
poo poo don't you remember the dungeon video they put out where even the guy demoing it couldn't get through it

Like goddamn I think to myself "how can we have a solution as obvious as making reload time/magazine size an inherent weapon trait, and they go with locking it down like this" especially when they're using the same bar you use for techs which will therefore limit your options and playstyles and reduce moments of fun emergent gameplay, like you can't jetpack over someone and strafe them because then you're out of ammo and the bar always recharges at the exact same speed and they advertise this like it's a loving good thing.
But then I remember these are the same people who added cool special effects into their unique melee weapon generator and then limited it to only those premade weapons so that 1. that weapon will always be the same every time and 2. all the other generated weapons are guaranteed to be boring and without special abilities or anything interesting.

It'd be like if in Borderlands every single fun thing a gun could do was isolated to its own mutually exclusive pool and was the same every single time, and all the other guns ran off of your sprint bar.

Section Z posted:

Obviously he just should have avoided getting into that situation to begin with.
You mean playing Starbound?

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 6, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
If you want a picture of the future, imagine single tile platforming - forever.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Jackard posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine single tile platforming - forever.

Its skill based

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

It's "skill" in a game design sense, like in the phrase "game of skill" rather than "game of chance". You may think it's dumb, but the new system inherently gives more agency to the player. That's a skill-based system.

I will give you one thing: when you say "Sit there and wait even more or get slapped on the wrist isn't 'skill'", you are absolutely right. I agree with you there. While the player technically still has a decision to make in that situation, it's not an interesting one, so it's not a fun one.

What that means is that you have to avoid getting in that situation to begin with. In other words, you have to plan out your combat and movements a little more. This system adds a little bit of strategy to the combat system. You'll run into problems, like needing to recharge so you don't get energy-locked, but then maybe you can try to solve them instead of just giving up? Like, carry a melee in your off-hand. Now you've come up with tactic #1 to fight while recharging.

Anyway, as someone who has made dozens of posts complaining about how incredibly hard the random monsters are in this piss-easy game and how they kill you so much and it's so unbalanced, I'm sure you have a lot to teach us all about skill, so feel free to share some more.

I love this guy. Best poo poo in the thread by far.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I hate everybody who continues to support chucklefish in a really dark and personal sort of way but I still feel sort of bad that that guy is batting for their team.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Imagine being that one dev that still keeps posting in this thread

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Why would you tack arbitrary "risks" onto a core combat mechanic? It's not even "if you make bad choices you get punished", its literally "if you play the videogame too frequently you get punished". What is the goal for combat? Is it meant to be an actual skill test to obtain meaningful resources, some sort of gear check to control progress or just something that I guess is in other games so we should have it too? It's like they can't design a basic part of the game because "well you have to have a downside to it too".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Reiley posted:

Why would you tack arbitrary "risks" onto a core combat mechanic? It's not even "if you make bad choices you get punished", its literally "if you play the videogame too frequently you get punished". What is the goal for combat?

Your evaluation is right; if they did this intentionally, the reason for adding it should be to intentionally slow down combat. That's why other games that have a stamina system for movement/attack have it. Maybe they thought players were rushing in against enemies enough, and not blocking or dodging enough.

It definitely still needs some work. You need feedback on the energy bar to know when it's low, and more then just visual, give it sound. Someone else mentioned that it sounds like you won't be able to use more than one potion in close succession, that might need to be changed. There's plenty to change.

I just don't understand why this system is so bad for this game when it worked so well in Dark Souls. Not everything should be like Dark Souls, I never thought Starbound needed anything from that game before, but the Stamina system works well.

Reiley posted:

It's like they can't design a basic part of the game because "well you have to have a downside to it too".

Shouldn't they?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imagine if Mario had an energy bar and you could jump on three goombas before you have to stop and rest, only the AI was somehow even more basic than that, like limiting how quickly you can stamp out random hopping AI makes the game more challenging. What is the purpose? It's like they're either afraid of letting a player have too much gun combat or they're not sure how their combat is actually supposed to fit in their endless world game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i am looking forward to expending energy to Farm Like A Pro

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

What if everything you did took like, say, one energy. and the energy bar was increased to 100. then, you could set it so you gained one energy every ten minutes unless you have Starbound Gold subscriber status, which halves the timer

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao i remember when i was wondering why cutting down vines w/ the matter manipulator took like 5 minutes when it seems like the simplest goddamn thing and goons loving crawled out of the woodwork to tell me why it needed to be that way

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lol@the idea that starbound has a similar level of combat depth in comparison to Dark Souls to make energy limits a meaningful or fun limitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
From the way everyone was talking I thought the loving game was gonna have a stamina/energy bar like some free MMO's or mobile games where you have to stop playing for several hours, not just basically a regenerating mana pool.

• Locked thread