Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk. I like https://mui.codeplex.com/ but I've never written anything big.

the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the github client (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

only a 90s kid would remember this *picture of sega genesis*

only 90s kids remember this *pictures of people owning houses and starting families. being happy*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

there are lots of millennial's with jobs, we just dont identify as millennials. we prefer 90s kids.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

only 90s kids remember this *pictures of people owning houses and starting families. being happy*

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I made a boo boo with Git yesterday. It was fixed, quickly, however the buildnazi got furious with me when I talked about it today. The issue was basically "merging the QA build into my work branch" when I meant to "merge my work branch into the QA build."

Just what can you undo, or not undo, with git? I had the actual boss saying "do command line!" and the buildnazi say "use sourcetree!" and by their powers combined I hosed up.

:smith:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

I made a boo boo with Git yesterday. It was fixed, quickly, however the buildnazi got furious with me when I talked about it today. The issue was basically "merging the QA build into my work branch" when I meant to "merge my work branch into the QA build."

Just what can you undo, or not undo, with git? I had the actual boss saying "do command line!" and the buildnazi say "use sourcetree!" and by their powers combined I hosed up.

:smith:

the entire point of source control is that it makes fixing human errors like this easy. no one should be mad, they should just offer you advice on how to avoid it in the future.

if they're going to get that mad about mistakes they should make you merge your code in via pull requests

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean if they're doing automatic deploys for QA then yeah it's going to make someones day slightly more annoying but all they need to do is roll back to the old branch, merge your code in properly, and deploy

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the entire point of source control is that it makes fixing human errors like this easy. no one should be mad, they should just offer you advice on how to avoid it in the future.

if they're going to get that mad about mistakes they should make you merge your code in via pull requests

lol

OK, so, wtf CAN'T git undo? I've heard you can't (easily) undo reversions.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

lol

OK, so, wtf CAN'T git undo? I've heard you can't (easily) undo reversions.

anything can be undone just by checking out the previous commit. the bad thing is when something gets hosed up but no one notices and people start working against the hosed up branch

i guess you rpboably shouldn't git push :master

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it's pretty easy to get git into a really hosed up state

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think the dumbest thing i do with git is, when i want to merge in a branch, i rebase it to the branching commit (this merges all of the changes into a single commit) and then cherry-pick that over into master rather than merging

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

anything can be undone just by checking out the previous commit. the bad thing is when something gets hosed up but no one notices and people start working against the hosed up branch

i guess you rpboably shouldn't git push :master

Yeah I never push master. Pull only. Master is a rope

rotor posted:

it's pretty easy to get git into a really hosed up state

How?

Also, how do you defuckelate it?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
push to heroku master directly

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MeruFM posted:

push to heroku master directly

lol that reminds me

We're a .NET shop otherwise but actually have mongo and we're gonna use it for pictures.

Is this the actual use case for mongo?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
git rules I miss it so much

funny thing is my new job is "planning" to move from svn to git which is good news for me as a coder but it's probably a really bad idea for them since they version tons of large binary assets and git sucks poo poo at that

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

lol that reminds me

We're a .NET shop otherwise but actually have mongo and we're gonna use it for pictures.

Is this the actual use case for mongo?

you mean put binary blobs into mongo? Not really
The only "use case' for mongo is when you have a bunch of "maybe existing maybe not" fields and are too lazy to make a relational key value table

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

git rules I miss it so much

funny thing is my new job is "planning" to move from svn to git which is good news for me as a coder but it's probably a really bad idea for them since they version tons of large binary assets and git sucks poo poo at that

svn isn't any better at it

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
re: wpf chat

the github wpf app is pretty great. idk if they used a designer though. i guess phil haack owns a lot of that project and he seems like a reasonable guy

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
are there any use cases at all where svn is better than git

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
note: TFS, not SVN.

I've heard that shelf sets in TFS are easier to use than branches in git, but that might be just "I used TFS longer than I used git."

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Space Whale posted:

note: TFS, not SVN.

I've heard that shelf sets in TFS are easier to use than branches in git, but that might be just "I used TFS longer than I used git."

shelvesets aren't an alternative to branching though, TFS has branches.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So what is a GIT "shelfset"

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Space Whale posted:

So what is a GIT "shelfset"

a stash

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The direct analogy to a shelfset would be the stash, but when actually working with git you typically use branches for most of the things you'd want a shelfset for anyway.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

A fun way to gently caress poo poo up with git was when it still had 'push' default to pushing all branches, so that if you had a bunch of branches with hosed up state or lagging on the origin you're pushing to and someone forgot about it and --forced the push, then you'd be crushing unrelated branches all by accident.

then they changed that and things were slightly less worse.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Series DD Funding posted:

are there any use cases at all where svn is better than git

checking out a subtree, storing large binaries, a reasonable set of consistent commands

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

supports empty directories, you don't have to deal with a local repo so you don't have to commit THEN push, you don't have awful people spending hours preening their commits because they're vain as hell

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

some shitbag at my last job gave an hourlong talk about how to "craft the code story" with your commits

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

rotor posted:

some shitbag at my last job gave an hourlong talk about how to "craft the code story" with your commits

:gowron:

git rules use cli only or ur a n00b

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it is easy to gently caress your git up though since it lets you do stupid poo poo. svn is somewhat better in that u can't do anything with it so u can't go as wrong

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol if 90% of ur commit messages don't involve the word "gently caress"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my commit messages don't matter since it all gets pulled out into a single thing (with a new description) when it gets sent out for code review

the only person who sees them is me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jabor posted:

my commit messages don't matter since it all gets pulled out into a single thing (with a new description) when it gets sent out for code review

the only person who sees them is me

oh that's the other cool thing about git: it encourages users to not commit to master often, so lots of man hours of work are sitting on dev laptops that are of course backed up regularly right

I remember some guy in #cobol came in and was like "I accidentally deleted my local repo. it had a weeks worth of work on [some bullshit thing] on it."

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

lol if you don't work on secondary branches, pushing them to origin whenever you feel like it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

oh that's the other cool thing about git: it encourages users to not commit to master often, so lots of man hours of work are sitting on dev laptops that are of course backed up regularly right

I remember some guy in #cobol came in and was like "I accidentally deleted my local repo. it had a weeks worth of work on [some bullshit thing] on it."

i know this is your stymie but while i'd say "bad codebases/expectations lead to people not committing to mainline often" is more true, git does allow someone to be much worse about it

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

i worry about my commit history too much and even i'm angry reading this.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

rotor posted:

lol

z0rleesi
Dec 6, 2014

fidel sarcastro posted:

my commit history

this is the yospos version of "my girlfriend"

rofl

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

git is bad obtuse software for idiots who would rather masturbate over bad ways of doing version control than do work

• Locked thread