Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Putin would get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the one pun i remember is andy suggesting that someone call their cat Joseph-Desiré Meowbutu

that made me laugh for ages for some reason

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
God willing, all the Koch Brothers will go down on a private jet together.

That would merit a Fuckeuology

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Kissinger?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I feel like the whole series has been building to that one magnificent sequence.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That was another fantastic episode but I'm sad it's going to be ages before it comes back.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Lotteries are a progressive tax on stupidity (or atleast unability to do simple math) that people can choose themself to opt in. I dont see any problem with that. Additionally I found it very dishonest to complain about the fact that the money is not only spend on education, when the same is true for any other tax that gets introduced for "a good cause".

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"This is my The Room Room, where I watch The Room." Hahahahahaha

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Lotteries are a progressive tax on stupidity (or atleast unability to do simple math) that people can choose themself to opt in. I dont see any problem with that. Additionally I found it very dishonest to complain about the fact that the money is not only spend on education, when the same is true for any other tax that gets introduced for "a good cause".

I think the problem illustrated was that when money from the lottery is spent on education then tax money alloted for the same drops, which leads to a net decrease in funding.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Silentgoldfish posted:

I think the problem illustrated was that when money from the lottery is spent on education then tax money alloted for the same drops, which leads to a net decrease in funding.

And in the example given, led to pushes for corporate tax cuts since they now had a new source of that funding. The bigger issue though is the gambling addiction, since lottery stuff is in basically every store you go to. Not as much of an issue when it comes to buying tickets since that's a one time purchase so you don't have that instant feedback, but the video poker and slots machines being in every convenience store effectively makes them no-go areas if you have a gambling problem.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can barely even imagine the logistics that must have gone into the salmon scene.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If the goal of that lottery bit was to get me to stop playing; I guess I'll admit it isn't working.

I know the odds and the prizes don't match up. It's heavily stacked against the favor of players. It's pretty much a money vacuum. But I romanticize the idea of a golden ticket and I already know I'm not going to be the next Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg. I never justified it with education. I'm willing to suffer the misery of losing a few bucks a week over the lotto for the impossible chance of living the misery of a lottery winner.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xoidanor posted:

I can barely even imagine the logistics that must have gone into the salmon scene.

I'm starting to think Last Week Tonight is part of an elaborate and ridiculous money laundering operation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That nearly 50% joke about the state lotteries was genius.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess state-sponsored gambling is a bad thing, especially if it moves the burden of taxes from people who actually have the money to afford them. I thought of the lottery before as just a gutless things that state governments do to crank out more revenue without actually raising taxes, but I suppose it's also a way to maintain revenues while cutting taxes for people who are lobbying at them. There's also programs designed to get people to save that are shut down by states because they compete with the lottery. It's a fairly important issue.

Still seems like a weak thing to go out on though. I wonder if John Oliver just didn't want to say something too controversial right before going on break.

Xoidanor posted:

It's not that hard to imagine. They probably just bought a bunch of fake salmon and shipped them out to people. The fish catapult isn't that new of a thing, so they would've had plenty of time to put it together. It helps that a bunch of the people they used are also in New York.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I know the odds and the prizes don't match up. It's heavily stacked against the favor of players. It's pretty much a money vacuum. But I romanticize the idea of a golden ticket and I already know I'm not going to be the next Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg. I never justified it with education. I'm willing to suffer the misery of losing a few bucks a week over the lotto for the impossible chance of living the misery of a lottery winner.

People tossing a way a few bucks on the 'what if I won?' dream isn't the issue. The issue is desperately poor people feeling like the lottery is their way to escape poverty. It can be argued that it is their choice and all that, but the states spend a lot of money to engineer ad campaigns which create and feed off of problem gamblers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

People tossing a way a few bucks on the 'what if I won?' dream isn't the issue. The issue is desperately poor people feeling like the lottery is their way to escape poverty. It can be argued that it is their choice and all that, but the states spend a lot of money to engineer ad campaigns which create and feed off of problem gamblers.

Furthermore, as Oliver said, the so called beneficial causes that are supposed to be receiving funds just aren't getting a significant enough amount. So you can't even go "Well, at least the money is going somewhere good" because it isn't.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Echo Chamber posted:

If the goal of that lottery bit was to get me to stop playing; I guess I'll admit it isn't working.

And that's fine if your a rational person with room in the budget to spend on a lottery ticket. But most lottery players aren't like you. They are largely poor people who really don't have the money to spare and/or gambling addicts.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Agreed. That really made me laugh.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

The best part was the delayed laughter as people got it.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

You have to feel like you have solid relationships and unshakable job security to hit your boss in the balls with a rubber salmon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
http://tinytinymikebloomberg.nyc/

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Stupid poor people. They should be investing in those awesome anti-gravity boot-straps all the cool rich people are always talking about. Get a job and learn how to calculate expected utilities!

Also the "tax" money is specifically advertised as being slated for education. At the very least, if lotteries are going to syphon off the limited financial resources of the poorer citizens in a given state, the money citizens are spending (if we want to pretend it's synonymous with a sin tax) ought to go toward things that benefit that particular socio-economic group. The fact that, in that one example, lottery revenues essentially allowed the state to cut corporate taxes while yielding a negative net benefit to schools, amounts to a reverse 'progressive' tax rate - taxing the poor to subsidize the rich. That can't make sense even to a libertarian. And if you take into account gambling addiction, the disproportionate disutility to the poor is compounded significantly.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
As he pointed out, it is addicting for some, just like drugs. Its not the low income person who spends $5 a week on lottery tickets, when they could buy $5 of quality produce for their kids or whatever Its the person who spends half his paycheck on scratchers. South Park did a show on this last week too. 10% of gamblers spend 90% of the money.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

As he pointed out, it is addicting for some, just like drugs. Its not the low income person who spends $5 a week on lottery tickets, when they could buy $5 of quality produce for their kids or whatever Its the person who spends half his paycheck on scratchers. South Park did a show on this last week too. 10% of gamblers spend 90% of the money.

Right. My buddy spends $10 a week on the lotto here, calling it his "Idiot tax" at the rare, statistically impossible chance he might get a "Genius return" on it, but the thing is he can budget that money in. I know people who spend $200 a week on scratchers and it is really sad to see people being preyed upon. This is why I gave up working in the gambling industry years ago because even though it claims to want "responsible gaming" they psychologically are doing everything they can to siphon money out of people who can't budget it as entertainment.

On an unrelated note, going to miss the everloving gently caress outta this show until February.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Notsosubtle posted:

Stupid poor people. They should be investing in those awesome anti-gravity boot-straps all the cool rich people are always talking about. Get a job and learn how to calculate expected utilities!

What we need to do is make savings and stable finances even harder for the poor and uneducated, this couldn't possibly have any unfortunate consequences. If we could drive some gambling addicts into bankruptcy, that's just icing on the cake.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

http://michaelbloombergisawiener.nyc/

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

Read John Oliver's cover story for RS. They're planning an episode called "Our Friend Israel".

Season 2 teaser?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Post was a month ago. I guess they scrapped it. (Or they did it and we didn't notice.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Post was a month ago. I guess they scrapped it. (Or they did it and we didn't notice.)

Or they're just taking their time building it. That's one you'd wanna make sure you got right.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Or they're just taking their time building it. That's one you'd wanna make sure you got right.

Yeah, plus Israel and Palestine aren't going to stop being Israel and Palestine any time soon.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure there's no way for that to ever be done right. Israel gets pissed if he talks up Palestine, Palestine gets pissed if he talks up Israel and D&D gets pissed if he settles for "the truth is in the middle."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Pretty sure there's no way for that to ever be done right. Israel gets pissed if he talks up Palestine, Palestine gets pissed if he talks up Israel and D&D gets pissed if he settles for "the truth is in the middle."

I suspect he's not gonna be talking up anyone so much as talking down everyone. But whilst nobody will ever be satisfied, you still wanna have all your arguments as sealed and factual and well-supported as you can possibly make them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Yeah but at the same time only two out of three of those actually matter at all in any capacity.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just saw Oliver here in Durham huge Ferguson protest happen to pass by at the same time his second show started with an army of cops fightin them it was crazy. He commtented about it saying he understood that we probably wanted to go with him but we had bought the tickets already.

Also he did mention I/P and how he supports the 2 state solution.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
As if the Palestinians could handle their own state. Didn't those dummies lose all their land after invading Israel in the first place? What's the O/U on how long after getting their own state before they lost it again? Five years?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Irish Joe posted:

As if the Palestinians could handle their own state. Didn't those dummies lose all their land after invading Israel in the first place? What's the O/U on how long after getting their own state before they lost it again? Five years?

Pro tier trolling

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pro tier trolling

While he's clearly trying to stir up poo poo, as always, dude has a point: it's only a matter of time before Israel decides they want the whole drat thing again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Year's Eve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFnby2184o

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Are you taking the over or the under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He called Boondock Saints a terrible movie, just lost a few thousand viewers.

He's half-right

• Locked thread