Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So, how about that new chapter? That's just a little bit HOLY poo poo AKAMATSU WHAT THE HELL.

Can the next arc be a little happier? Please?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

chumbler posted:

So, how about that new chapter? That's just a little bit HOLY poo poo AKAMATSU WHAT THE HELL.

Can the next arc be a little happier? Please?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > UQ Holder: Akamatsu wants to warm some hearts

Next ark should have Akamatsu's other Santa make an appearance for maximum mood whiplash.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
SAYOKO! Let's go back to hell!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

"Oh no, you didn't kill yourself, you were murdered and their rich parents shut the police up."

*next page* "See look I kept them alive look how they scream now you can finish them off!"

"What you don't like that? Fine then I'll just have to change your memories.

That's certainly something alright.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

KittyEmpress posted:

"Oh no, you didn't kill yourself, you were murdered and their rich parents shut the police up."

*next page* "See look I kept them alive look how they scream now you can finish them off!"

"What you don't like that? Fine then I'll just have to change your memories.

That's certainly something alright.
I dunno, makes perfect sense to me. She thought she had the perfect Valentines Chocolates for her crush, and then he freaked out and ran away. Makes sense she'd just want him to forget that ever happened.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think we're supposed to understand that what's wrong her with her isn't new: it's been going on for a long time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I liked the little detail with the compulsive scratching.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kyte posted:

I liked the little detail with the compulsive scratching.

I'm not the most observant. Please explain.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm not the most observant. Please explain.

Page 9, first two panels, she's compulsively scratching her temples. I assume the blood in the next page is at least partially from it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kyte posted:

Page 9, first two panels, she's compulsively scratching her temples. I assume the blood in the next page is at least partially from it.

最高にハイってやつだ?

EDIT: have the manga panel instead

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 27, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm sorry I don't speak moon, that's why I read translated manga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think we're supposed to understand that what's wrong her with her isn't new: it's been going on for a long time.

Do you think she went that far before Santa, though?

Eight years seems to be a good time frame to go from "yeah, gently caress these guys, they deserve death. Here, have the last hit." to complete telefraging psychosis.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Aaaand it's out

That goddamn fakeout :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dammit.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"The lives you live now were built on our dead bodies."

That was pretty dark for a technically happy ending.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

GodFish posted:

"The lives you live now were built on our dead bodies."

That was pretty dark for a technically happy ending.

And surprisingly real. I mean, civilization in general is built over a lot of dead bodies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Whatever, Spider Chick."

My thoughts exactly.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Ken writes a pretty good love story who knew

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Do you think you can bring me back and still save mankind?

...Just kidding :haw:"

:allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Mikl posted:

"Do you think you can bring me back and still save mankind?

...Just kidding :haw:"

:allears:

I swear to god, every powerful character in the Negimaverse (Akamatsuverse? I haven't read Love Hina, so I dunno if it applies there too) gives no fucks. Even Negi, with all his seriousness, still shows signs of it. It's the best! :allears:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Silento posted:

I swear to god, every powerful character in the Negimaverse (Akamatsuverse? I haven't read Love Hina, so I dunno if it applies there too) gives no fucks. Even Negi, with all his seriousness, still shows signs of it. It's the best! :allears:

From what we saw of Nagi, I can only conclude that real ultimate power in the negiverse comes from being a complete troll.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Bremen posted:

From what we saw of Nagi, I can only conclude that real ultimate power in the negiverse comes from being a complete troll.

Headbutting his eventual wife into admitting she loved him. The Truest Hero.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We never did find out what happened to Arika, right?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Serious Frolicking posted:

We never did find out what happened to Arika, right?

Didn't she get turned to stone with the rest of Negi's town?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bremen posted:

Didn't she get turned to stone with the rest of Negi's town?

That was when Negi met his father. He never met his mother, so it would follow that the two of them didn't live in the same small village.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I stopped reading this right after Karin got buried. Imagine my surprise to see a zombie apocalypse a few chapters later. Jesus. Was not expecting that.

As for Negi's mom, no, we never do see what happened to her. Since she didn't show up in the last chapter, it's probably safe to say she died somewhere.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

rizzen posted:

I stopped reading this right after Karin got buried. Imagine my surprise to see a zombie apocalypse a few chapters later. Jesus. Was not expecting that.

As for Negi's mom, no, we never do see what happened to her. Since she didn't show up in the last chapter, it's probably safe to say she died somewhere.

Didn't they both show up all lovey dovey with no explanation near the last chapters?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

pinegala posted:

Didn't they both show up all lovey dovey with no explanation near the last chapters?

Nagi shows up in the epilogue, but Arika is nowhere to be seen. There's an illusion of them being a lovey-dovey family with Negi generated using an artifact to demonstrate what Cosmo Entelecheia was.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=61.00

New chapter is here and it's back to shenanigans. Kinda feels like Touta's building a non-traditional harem here.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kyte posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=61.00

New chapter is here and it's back to shenanigans. Kinda feels like Touta's building a non-traditional harem here.

Akamatsu is very progressive in his characters' harems!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Akamatsu is very progressive in his characters' harems!

It manages to have no females of legal age in it.

Edit: Boys have dreams about the future! Girls ... look at boys a lot? Choose to be a girl and you too could have gender stereotyped lack of ambition!

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 10, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If an idiot can't unwittingly seduce a shy ghost boy, a hermaphrodite, a save scummer, and possibly a dudebot, then what did we invent narrative storytelling for in the first place?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think this is the most expressive Karin has been in the entire manga so far.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Golden Battler posted:

I think this is the most expressive Karin has been in the entire manga so far.

Well she was pretty useless.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The more immortal you are, the more useless you are.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I just noticed that on the top panel of the last page, with that shot of everyone gazing outwards, Touta is the only one without a reflection. Cute touch.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Soylentbits posted:

It manages to have no females of legal age in it.

Edit: Boys have dreams about the future! Girls ... look at boys a lot? Choose to be a girl and you too could have gender stereotyped lack of ambition!

i was gonna say, that was a pretty hosed up part of the chapter

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And extremely baffling to see in the sequel to Negima, the manga where girls do 90% of everything that gets done in the series.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think that part of it was that it was translated badly. What they were going for was less 'all girls look at guys not to the future' and more 'you look at Touta like he's your goal' in a 'you are like a girl looking at their crush'.

It might just be me wanting to make it less sexist because I like the author and the manga, but it's less 'all girls have no ambition' and more 'you act more like a girl in love than a guy with his best friend'. Thus the whole thing about 'do guys gaze into each other's eyes'. He's basically going 'you say you want one thing, but you act in a way that's like this other thing'.

How it was said is still annoying - the whole gender thing with Kuroumaru is kinda annoying because they keep acting like if he chooses to be a woman it's weaker or means giving up his sword. Meanwhile Karin and 'Yukihime' are the two strongest characters in UQ Holder we've met so far, and both are women. Plus the fact that as stated above, Negima had a ton of badass girls, even if Negi did most of the badass stuff at the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That's more or less what I was thinking/hoping - they're not talking about the difference between boys and girls, they're talking about the difference between friends and lovers.

KittyEmpress posted:

How it was said is still annoying - the whole gender thing with Kuroumaru is kinda annoying because they keep acting like if he chooses to be a woman it's weaker or means giving up his sword. Meanwhile Karin and 'Yukihime' are the two strongest characters in UQ Holder we've met so far, and both are women. Plus the fact that as stated above, Negima had a ton of badass girls, even if Negi did most of the badass stuff at the very end.

I don't what any of the other characters have said about it, but I think that's certainly how Kuromaru views it. I'm hoping this is Ken doing some setup for character development later on if Kuromaru really does end up going female.

• Locked thread