Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xtanstic posted:

I'm sorry if this is a touchy subject and I really don't want to bog the thread down so if someone can point me to an explanation of the correct pronunciation of Ra's Al Ghul I'd be thankful. I always imagined it in my head as Ra's so when I finally heard it as a mix of Ra's/Resh/Raysh I've been confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7_cTXSps8

On the flip side, Raysh is a hebrew pronounciation so the argument goes, while the arabic one is Raas. The creator had it in his head to be pronounced Raysh irrespective of the linguistic or dialectic details.

Best argument is that Ra's was born into a nomad camp somewhere in Arabia and they just had heavy accents.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Batman said "Raysh" on the old Animated Series, so that's how I'll always know it.

Also, David Warner's voice was awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

Batman said "Raysh" on the old Animated Series, so that's how I'll always know it.

Also, David Warner's voice was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUJxaewOISA

drat straight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ra's Al Ghul is a title, not his name.

His creators intended it to be pronounced Raysh (which, next to that being the way they heard it in the cartoon, is the most common reason people insist on saying it that way), but they used real Arabic words so it doesn't really work that way.

Roz isn't right either but it's closer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like to imagine his parents just new, and named him 'The Demon Head'.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I say Raysh. I'll grit my teeth when somebody says Razz, but I won't try to correct them or anything. Honestly, I'm just glad that we have reached the point in society where anybody saying "Mag-NETT-O" is soundly mocked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't even get people to stop pronouncing my state ore-gone, so Ra's isn't a fight I'm willing to pick.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
how do you pronounce your state?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rocksicles posted:

how do you pronounce your state?

Or-uh-gun.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not buying it. Yanks pronounce stuff weird.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 6, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bruceski posted:

I can't even get people to stop pronouncing my state ore-gone,

Fuckin' easterners.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't necessarily know if we'll get to lazarus pits, but I've long suspected that the arrow writers are blowing smoke about the whole "Arrow won't have superpowers" song and dance they keep doing in interviews.

You don't go and introduce Mirakuru and then immediately put it and that fantastical world back in the box.

Also, a friend linked to a hideous io9 piece about how awful the Arrow crossover was, with the usual "Waller's actions don't make sense!" malarkey.

Seriously guys, she planted or at least fully knew how to disarm the bomb the whole time. That's kinda her schtick. It's also "shadowy espionage training manual bullshit 101", if you've ever watched even the slightest of spy shows.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bruceski posted:

I can't even get people to stop pronouncing my state ore-gone, so Ra's isn't a fight I'm willing to pick.

People that say it like this are the same crazies that pronounce Nevada as ne-vah-dah.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't necessarily know if we'll get to lazarus pits, but I've long suspected that the arrow writers are blowing smoke about the whole "Arrow won't have superpowers" song and dance they keep doing in interviews.

You don't go and introduce Mirakuru and then immediately put it and that fantastical world back in the box.

Also, a friend linked to a hideous io9 piece about how awful the Arrow crossover was, with the usual "Waller's actions don't make sense!" malarkey.

Seriously guys, she planted or at least fully knew how to disarm the bomb the whole time. That's kinda her schtick. It's also "shadowy espionage training manual bullshit 101", if you've ever watched even the slightest of spy shows.

The Waller complaint was defensible up until that episode, but yeah, I'm pretty sure she literally said something along the lines of "I, Amanda Waller, see that you, Oliver Queen, have great talent to become an operative, so get back to training." They can't possibly make it more clearer than that. I figured that was what she was doing with him, and now it's official.

But hey, sometimes people miss a line 'cause they're in the bathroom.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I kinda hope they do kill Ollie and focus more on Roy taking up the mantle for a bit.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
A "how does Team Arrow operate without Oliver" arc would be sort of interesting. And it'd fit in with the fact that Laurel is getting her big arc right after midseason break. And they could still conceivably have Amell doing flashback scenes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

boom boom boom posted:

Of course the DJ is working for the League of Assassins, if he isn't then the scenes he was in are the most aggressively pointless scenes in the history of television.

Thea needed a love triangle or the core CW audience would flip their poo poo now that Olicity is not happening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

I feel like this had been resolved already before your post.

SOrry, I had that typed and walked away from the computer. I his "post" and closed the window when I came back and didn't even think about it.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Narcissus1916 posted:

That entire io9 article was terrible.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I remembered something else that made me laugh. That big important ARGUS building is guarded by a man at a desk. And seemingly nobody else. I'm surprised Captain Boomerang was the first guy to just waltz in and start icing dudes. I mean sure, it's full of people with guns too, but maybe have a bit more security downstairs? Especially when you know there's a mercenary out for revenge in town?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McDragon posted:

Oh, I remembered something else that made me laugh. That big important ARGUS building is guarded by a man at a desk. And seemingly nobody else. I'm surprised Captain Boomerang was the first guy to just waltz in and start icing dudes. I mean sure, it's full of people with guns too, but maybe have a bit more security downstairs? Especially when you know there's a mercenary out for revenge in town?

I feel like we're not allowed to nitpick when a dude with boomerangs is killing large groups of people with actual guns. Like, you mentally have to sign a suspension of disbelief waiver regarding the action antics, whether they're trash or not.

This whole show is stupid goofy like that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I live in Australia and can confirm you can't hit a barn door with a gun when someone is throwing boomerangs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

I live in Australia and can confirm you can't hit a barn door with a gun when someone is throwing boomerangs.

The only reason you can't hit a barn door in australia is because it's chasing you down trying to kill you as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what i meant, so thanks for keeping up :)

It's actually funny, when i lived in Queensland i watched a tour guide explaining to a group of tourists how to throw a boomerang, a good 5 min walkthrough, and then said "due to insurance reasons, we can't actually throw it."

But two kids in the park were throwing boomerangs.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 6, 2014

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am not a boomerang expert. I know they return after being thrown (or at least curve back towards you?). I don't care about the physics, whatever. Are they intended to be caught after being thrown? I was under the impression that the idea was to hit something with it and hopefully hard enough it drops. it wouldn't magically keep flying around and come back to you after you hit someone with it. Even if you are throwing it into thin air, are boomerangs actually intended to be caught? Or just avoided till it hits the ground then go pick it up and throw again. You'd think if it could take down animals that catching it would slice your loving hand off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He's wearing special gloves. Also they vibrate and stuff?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the modern boomerangs are designed that way. A proper hunting boomerang will turn to a point, but its a point a shoot weapon designed the crush somethings head in. A hardwood boomerang for hunting is a heavy loving thing.

Aboriginal Australians had many different types of boomerangs for different things.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2014

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Rocksicles posted:

the modern boomerangs are designed that way. A proper hunting boomerang will turn to a point, but its a point a shoot weapon design the crush somethings head in.

Aboriginal Australians had many different types of boomerangs for different things.

Oh neat. I didn't even think of there being different types of boomerangs for different kinds of purposes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Windows 98 posted:

Oh neat. I didn't even think of there being different types of boomerangs for different kinds of purposes.

Boomerangs are rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygK0FHyt_5M&t=37s

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Windows 98 posted:

Boxing glove boomerang.

e: and let's not forget the short-lived boomerang arrow experiment.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly Captain Boomerang really seems like a much better foil for the Arrow than the Flash.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That is cool as hell.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Boxing glove boomerang.

e: and let's not forget the short-lived boomerang arrow experiment.

Short-lived? Boomerang Arrow is a winner.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a good video showing a hunting returning boomerang. Hunting bats.

the Boomerang is huge too, maybe 500 grams or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDHxOqFkAs

Different type, a kylie i think they call them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZBr7S8iqg

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

This is a good video showing a hunting returning boomerang. Hunting bats.

the Boomerang is huge too, maybe 500 grams or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDHxOqFkAs

Different type, a kylie i think they call them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZBr7S8iqg

Sure, but call me when you can successfully hunt and take down a buffalo with one. :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They used woomeras for that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

They used woomeras for that.

Arm powered spear guns. They' pretty cool, yeah.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What else is cool about them, the oldest known woomera or spear thrower, was found in Australia dating back 40,000 years. But they must have brought them with them when they arrived, because other cultures use an almost identical thing in other parts of the world. Some think they were here going back up to 60,000 years with those weapons. Thats before Neanderthals were wiped out.

We don't have much history here, but what we have is old as gently caress.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

What else is cool about them, the oldest known woomera or spear thrower, was found in Australia dating back 40,000 years. But they must have brought them with them when they arrived, because other cultures use an almost identical thing in other parts of the world. Some think they were here going back up to 60,000 years with those weapons. Thats before Neanderthals were wiped out.

We don't have much history here, but what we have is old as gently caress.

A woomera is an evolutionary grandaddy of a bow and arrow. Ollie should make the switch in order to beat Digger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drifter posted:

Sure, but call me when you can successfully hunt and take down a buffalo with one. :colbert:

You need the mad max boomerang for that

• Locked thread