Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How do the Link moves work? What makes them actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

StandardVC10 posted:

How do the Link moves work? What makes them actually good?

When you initiate the Link, you make an attack against the target. For the rest of the round, if an ally hits the target with an attack, you then attack the target again. There's a maximum number of follow-ups you can make which starts at 1 and goes up to infinite based on additional passive skills (Double Link, Triple Link, Quad Link, Infinite Link) which also increase the link damage. In the right party setup, they're devastating. You do pretty much need a specialized party, though. Your Linker needs to go first and you need other characters who will hit the target multiple times.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you hit an enemy with a link move and then the next time they're hit, even if it's by another panicked enemy, they'll take an additional hit from the link. the passives you want are double/triple/quadruple/infinite link, which let the link activate multiple times, and golden link, which increases the damage from each successive hit by the link. you also want your linker to be acting before anyone else, but most of the good physical attackers are pretty slow, so rise's spotlight skill really helps too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Beast's Cry/Dragon's Roar also work to let your Linker go first but of course they take setup time. I'm pretty sure the reason they exist is to enable slow Linkers and to let bosses gently caress over your Boosts.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Can Fortuna pass Alleys of Light onto anybody? It looks like a useful skill but my field-navigator persona has a couple of other cool abilities that I would be giving up if I just switched.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

Can Fortuna pass Alleys of Light onto anybody? It looks like a useful skill but my field-navigator persona has a couple of other cool abilities that I would be giving up if I just switched.

I've never seen Alleys of Light inheritable, but there are other Personas that have it or an upgraded version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

chie had lines without the word meat in them in p4 though

i know it's a silly gag game but she's painfully one note here

They kind of all are, but the P4 side suffers worse from it. Especially Teddie. gently caress PQ Teddie. Other than him though I'm fine with the cast, outside of the changes in VA that are not Fuuka, since her old VA was terrible.

Marie has somehow become better though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I've never seen Alleys of Light inheritable, but there are other Personas that have it or an upgraded version.

You can get them on skill cards, but they're a wee bit higher level than Fortuna.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Where on Evil Spirit Club 4th Floor is the Old Doll? I've killed it once, but I can't remember where.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Near the bottom right.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 6, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So is Mitsuru any good? I've been using her and Tetranafoo is nice, but I'm not finding her too useful aside from that. How are you all using her? I might switch her out with Zen and Rei.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i just got skill cards

this game wasn't balanced before, but now it's just time to go nuts, isn't it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

So is Mitsuru any good? I've been using her and Tetranafoo is nice, but I'm not finding her too useful aside from that. How are you all using her? I might switch her out with Zen and Rei.

That is really all you need from her, honestly.

She also has innate Mind Charge so she can save a skill slot on casting high-damage magic. I mostly used her as a debuffer and occasionally had her drop meganukes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And she seems to get it really early. Not as early as Chie does Power Charge, but still.

I wish you could change your party leader, since at this point even if I wanted to replace someone they'd be too far behind on their own to contribute and if I grind my party leader will be incapable of avoiding that experience.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where can i find a skill or skill card that will make it so i never have to deal with getting ambushed while gathering again?

i swear, the chance of you getting ambushed must be at least 75%

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

where can i find a skill or skill card that will make it so i never have to deal with getting ambushed while gathering again?

I didn't see it until pretty high levels.

ImpAtom posted:

She also has innate Mind Charge so she can save a skill slot on casting high-damage magic. I mostly used her as a debuffer and occasionally had her drop meganukes.

Mind Charge and Power Charge just seem so bad in this game. Not only are they hideously expensive at 40 SP, they can't possibly put you in Boost state so your Charged attack is going to cost the full amount and come out at your normal speed instead of acting first.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Cake Attack posted:

Safety Prayer is the skill you want. I think you can get that one from a persona relatively early on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

agh I spent all my money extracting skill cards and now i'm broke and also koromaru and yukari don't have subpersonas anymore and so i need to grind money to resummon them from the compendium

life is hard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

I didn't see it until pretty high levels.

Mind Charge and Power Charge just seem so bad in this game. Not only are they hideously expensive at 40 SP, they can't possibly put you in Boost state so your Charged attack is going to cost the full amount and come out at your normal speed instead of acting first.

Power Charge is fantastic because HP costs are rarely an issue. Magic Charge is more situational but if you have SP to spare (and you usually do) it's a better use of Boost than a regular cast if it isn't going to hit a weakness.

Physical damage is pretty OP so it isn't necessary but it doesn't hurt.

Cake Attack posted:

agh I spent all my money extracting skill cards and now i'm broke and also koromaru and yukari don't have subpersonas anymore and so i need to grind money to resummon them from the compendium

life is hard

Kill some FOEs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, poo poo. I can buy Growth 1 now, that will almost kind of help the people I'm not using a little. Nice.

ImpAtom posted:

Kill some FOEs.

Power spots would be quicker and easier.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

And she seems to get it really early. Not as early as Chie does Power Charge, but still.

I wish you could change your party leader, since at this point even if I wanted to replace someone they'd be too far behind on their own to contribute and if I grind my party leader will be incapable of avoiding that experience.

In addition to the Growth accessories, you'll eventually get equipment that doubles exp. It's super late game, but by then you'll have a lot of good grinding spots open anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sounds like too little, too late sadly.

I've got skill cards unlocked in the Velvet Room now, anyone know what I can get Impure Reach and Power/Mind Charge from? Power Charge would be especially nice since I'd like to swap off this Ares I've had on Kanji for like half the game it feels like. Oh, also Warrior Title.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've got skill cards unlocked in the Velvet Room now, anyone know what I can get Impure Reach and Power/Mind Charge from? Power Charge would be especially nice since I'd like to swap off this Ares I've had on Kanji for like half the game it feels like. Oh, also Warrior Title.

Impure Reach comes off of Incubus.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's a pretty good for experimenting a bit with your party setup by that point though, and seeing as there's a double exp weapon, armor, and accessory, it might even stack to 8x. It really doesn't much time to get anyone up to speed.

Warrior Title comes off Melchizedek, who is around lv. 70.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I assume exp still works like Etrian odyssey where the total exp from a fight is divided amongst the number of characters, so a good way to start grinding up a super lower person is to have one really strong characters and the level 1 person go kill foe's and stuff?

Grinding up characters if you want to experiment with your party was always the worst thing about etrian games. Remember unlocking Hexers at I think the end of the 4th stratum and having to grind up a level 1 Hexer all the way just before the end of the game if you wanted to experiment with them?

Edit: I looked it up, and apparently hexers were near the start of the 4th stratum, not the end. Still pretty annoying to grind one up that late in the game tohugh.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 6, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Quest experience is granted in full to all characters, and the alternate team starts at level 12, so you never need to grind from 1. Also the quest bosses are generally pretty easy and give incredible exp, so once you hit floor 3 in a labyrinth you can catch people up pretty fast.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this foe was really easy then it used Mamudoon then Diarahan

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

LibbyM posted:

I assume exp still works like Etrian odyssey where the total exp from a fight is divided amongst the number of characters, so a good way to start grinding up a super lower person is to have one really strong characters and the level 1 person go kill foe's and stuff?

Grinding up characters if you want to experiment with your party was always the worst thing about etrian games. Remember unlocking Hexers at I think the end of the 4th stratum and having to grind up a level 1 Hexer all the way just before the end of the game if you wanted to experiment with them?

Edit: I looked it up, and apparently hexers were near the start of the 4th stratum, not the end. Still pretty annoying to grind one up that late in the game tohugh.

they've taken some steps to fix this in the recent games. in 4, every time you unlock a new class, you get two items that let you immediately level a character up to 25/35/45 depending on which one it is. and in untold, all the classes are unlocked from the start.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I've reached the 4th labyrinth and I think I'm doing it wrong; I run into the FOEs and murder them. I put an Ma-St reverse on Mitsuru so she's Female Kanji now, and, well, Healing Harp is broken as gently caress.

e: Mitsuru flipping out about the Gigas Shadows is amazing. :byodame: "THEY'RE ALMOST NAKED! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!"

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 6, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Every single piece of enemy related banter is great in this game.
"No more beasts! We already have a dog, a bear, and a Chie!"

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I'm stuck on the first floor of the fourth labyrinth...
http://i.imgur.com/iZDKW69.jpg
White circles are unlit torches. Red circles are lit torches. Orange are FOE paths, green are tiles the map chest says I've not been to yet.
I must be missing one pinwheel or another to carry the fire over but for hte life of me I don't get where. Also some paths seem only possible when you murder the FOEs so I must be doing something wrong - I don't have fire where I should?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cake Attack posted:

this foe was really easy then it used Mamudoon then Diarahan
Yeah, the Old Doll is a bit of bastard.

It's not immune to Light, though :getin:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cake Attack posted:

Its Safety Prayer, you can get it on a Persona pretty early. I posted a QR code for a Fortuna with it earlier, and there's a Shisaa with it as well somewhere in the thread.

Ignore the description text, I think it's bugged. It says that it lets you gather "Somewhat Safely", but I've been through 3 Labyrinths with it on and I've never been ambushed while gathering. There's another late-game ability that lets you gather "Perfectly Safely", so I think they just messed up on the numbers.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Lunar Suite posted:

I'm stuck on the first floor of the fourth labyrinth...
http://i.imgur.com/iZDKW69.jpg
White circles are unlit torches. Red circles are lit torches. Orange are FOE paths, green are tiles the map chest says I've not been to yet.
I must be missing one pinwheel or another to carry the fire over but for hte life of me I don't get where. Also some paths seem only possible when you murder the FOEs so I must be doing something wrong - I don't have fire where I should?

If I'm remembering right, bottom right torch and carry it upwards, it should just give you enough reach to get to the one above it, then carrying it along the rest of the way fairly obviously.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Einwand posted:

If I'm remembering right, bottom right torch and carry it upwards, it should just give you enough reach to get to the one above it, then carrying it along the rest of the way fairly obviously.

Thank you. I can't believe I didn't try that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I swear the only time I don't get ambushed when trying to gather stuff from power spots is when I want it to happen. Took forever to get an Evil Eye. Also these FOEs are obnoxious with their paralyzing and dodging, if I don't lock them down immediately they stun my entire team and then the fight takes forever because that poo poo refuses to wear off until at least five turns have passed.

Still waiting for this jump scare though.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
So I just discovered what power charged myriad arrows does to an agility bound enemy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

someone solve the door puzzle in 3-4 for me please

e: Naoto did it for me. it was dumb

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 7, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

seriously a god drat cartesian plane, get out of here atlus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Naoto seems like the answer to everything in this game. I'm in 3-4 as well and a new FOE started chasing me, so I just turned around and killed it with Mahamaon. I've killed it twice now and I feel like I've skipped some big chase scene with how the area is laid out and how the FOE has more range for catching you than anything so far.

It's also literally the first thing I've ever seen with a physical weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's also literally the first thing I've ever seen with a physical weakness.

The very first enemy in the game (Lying Hablerie) has a weakness to bash, and that's a scripted encounter, so nope ;)

• Locked thread