Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

These all seem excellent, thanks. Perhaps a cleric sub-theme would be good?

Besides Edgewalker, Rotlung Reanimator, and Starlit Sanctum I didn't find anything worth it. Master Apothecary might be if you can handle that WWW cost, but egads WWW is a hard cost to pay in a deck that wants to be blacker than it is white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Besides Edgewalker, Rotlung Reanimator, and Starlit Sanctum I didn't find anything worth it. Master Apothecary might be if you can handle that WWW cost, but egads WWW is a hard cost to pay in a deck that wants to be blacker than it is white.

Ancestor's Prophet might be funny/dickish with apostles. Heliod makes cleric tokens too, so thought I might be able to do something with them.

Cabal Archon might be good.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
Has anyone played with Doran the Seige Tower as their commander? If so, do you have a list for what you ran/run? I'm gathering ideas.

Also, I realise that this may have been discussed a while back, but poison in Commander. What rules does your group run for this, or do they ignore it entirely? (My group raises the poison counter level from 10 to 20 for Commander games.)

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Cleric tribal isn't great, but Edgewalker is insane.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT

Man_alive posted:

Has anyone played with Doran the Seige Tower as their commander? If so, do you have a list for what you ran/run? I'm gathering ideas.

Also, I realise that this may have been discussed a while back, but poison in Commander. What rules does your group run for this, or do they ignore it entirely? (My group raises the poison counter level from 10 to 20 for Commander games.)

A friend of mine runs this budget build.

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/20722

It is annoyingly effective, especially canopy cover on Doran.

At one point she was running Eland Umbra, which was also quite annoying.

Propane C3H8 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

Propane C3H8 posted:

A friend of mine runs this budget build.

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/20722

It is annoyingly effective, especially canopy cover on Doran.

At one point she was running Eland Umbra, which was also quite annoying.

This looks cool as hell, and heaps of fun, thanks for sharing the list!
I was thinking of trying to abuse a lot of walls and creatures with Defender, but this looks like it'd be much more solid than that.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going to do an Athreos/Shadowborn Apostle deck, any suggestions beside the staples in those colours like Orzhov Signet, Necropotence and Aura of Silence? And big demons, of course.

Some things I have so far:
Blood Artist
Xathrid Necromancer
Maw of the Obzedat
Sanguine Bond
Exquisite Blood
Both Teysas

Merciless Eviction, Utter End, the decent mass/targeted removal you can have access to? Skirsdag High Priest could be nice too for getting some big demons out when you don't have enough apostles on the board. Also in the event people actually decide to let them hit the graveyard, Wake The Dead for sudden blockers you can sac to get stuff out. Dictate of Erebos because I love that card too much.

Oh, and Reliquary Tower/Venser's Journal obviously, so your hand doesn't just fill with apostles after a boardwipe and force mass discard?

Unrelated mechanics question for anyone, if someone's commander gets tucked into their deck and it gets hit with Praetor's Grasp, can they just put it back in their command zone because exile or does the face-down component of the spell mean they can't do that?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I also use Angel of Glory's Rise, to get all the humans back.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Immortal Servitude is pretty good for you. 4 mana get all your Apostles back.

There's also a guy that makes Zombie tokens whenever a creature you control dies who would go hand in hand with Teysa.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Patriarch's Bidding should probably be in there. Grim Haruspex is probably good too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

Immortal Servitude is pretty good for you. 4 mana get all your Apostles back.

There's also a guy that makes Zombie tokens whenever a creature you control dies who would go hand in hand with Teysa.

Do you mean somwthing other than Rotlung Reanimator or Xathrid Necromancer? Is there one less conditional?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Also Conspiracy so you can fetch whatever you want :3:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you mean somwthing other than Rotlung Reanimator or Xathrid Necromancer? Is there one less conditional?

Turns out those were what I was thinking of. Both trigger off the Apostles though.

Turning 6 1/1s into 6/12 2/2s and a bigass Demon is nothing to sneeze at.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

Unrelated mechanics question for anyone, if someone's commander gets tucked into their deck and it gets hit with Praetor's Grasp, can they just put it back in their command zone because exile or does the face-down component of the spell mean they can't do that?

Someone at my LGS mentioned to me a combo of hinder and pyxis of pandemonium. Counter the commander, send it to the top of the library and then activate pyxis. The commander doesn't go back to the command zone as its face down. Cards in libraries are unknown, and thus you cannot "know" that the card being exiled is the commander.

Maximum feelbads.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Man_alive posted:

Someone at my LGS mentioned to me a combo of hinder and pyxis of pandemonium. Counter the commander, send it to the top of the library and then activate pyxis. The commander doesn't go back to the command zone as its face down. Cards in libraries are unknown, and thus you cannot "know" that the card being exiled is the commander.

Maximum feelbads.

I have a new goal in life.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
nm

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Man_alive posted:

Maximum feelbads.

Cheers! Additionally, after watching someone grasp out a Zur the Enchanter a friend had tucked, another friend of mine said I should run Head Games. Between games I looked it up, proxied it, then managed to cast it on the local Sharuum player when he was tapped out from countering people.

Now THAT's a card to make you feel dirty.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

From the official rules:
If a card is put into the exile zone face down from anywhere, and a player is allowed to look at that card in exile, the player must immediately do so. If it's a commander owned by another player, the player that looked at it turns it face up and puts it into the command zone.

So Praetor's Grasp doesn't work but I believe Pyxis does

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
It's not like I have two different BW deck concepts kicking around already, now I know in my heart of hearts that I have to build an Apostles deck, the synergy is just too strong to ignore.

Orzhov is just the best colours. Ebony and ivory, live together in perfect harmony...

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
If you're looking to make an Apostles deck and love Orzhov, you might also look at going green as well and making a Karador deck. It's an idea I saw Benny Smith for Star City play around with, and now that I've built my own version, it's a ton of fun. I still run Teysa as one of the 99, but the ability to recast demons and other fatties from your graveyard is really nice. It also lets you run Bloodbond March, which is super fun, especially because most people have no idea what it is since you'd never normally run it in commander. There's nothing like saccing 20 apostles to Phyrexian Altar, casting an apostle from your hand to bring them all back into play, then saccing them all again for a huge Debt to the Deathless or Exsanguinate.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man_alive posted:

We play it at 10. It's not the best win condition in Commander even at 10, because of the singleton format. There just aren't enough really effective poison/proliferate cards around to make it any sort of a good board threat, even at 10 poison. At 20, you might as well say that poison is banned as a kill method.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My Daretti list has all three proliferate rocks (Throne of Geth, Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine) mainly as a way to get Daretti's ultimate faster, but he also runs Inkmoth Nexus, and the last time I got somebody with a poison counter, I was able to follow up with Engine and Rings of Brighthearth...

I guess what I'm saying is that if your strategy/commander calls for lots of proliferate, why not run Inkmoth Nexus?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LordSaturn posted:

My Daretti list has all three proliferate rocks (Throne of Geth, Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine) mainly as a way to get Daretti's ultimate faster, but he also runs Inkmoth Nexus, and the last time I got somebody with a poison counter, I was able to follow up with Engine and Rings of Brighthearth...

I guess what I'm saying is that if your strategy/commander calls for lots of proliferate, why not run Inkmoth Nexus?

And if you're running Mimeoplasm, you should have Skittles in there for the SURPRISE WIN.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

En Fuego posted:

And if you're running Mimeoplasm, you should have Skittles in there for the SURPRISE WIN.

Skithiryx is a fantastic way to win games out of nowhere, but be advised that anything with Infect will quickly make you the most hated person at the table.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
EDH Poison cards by relevance:

90%: Blightsteel Colossus
9%: Grafted Exoskeleton
0.9%: Skittles
0.1%: Other

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tardigrade posted:

Skithiryx is a fantastic way to win games out of nowhere, but be advised that anything with Infect will quickly make you the most hated person at the table.

e.g., Scion of the Ur-DickDragon

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

e.g., Scion of the Ur-DickDragon

Plays I miss back in the day:

Attack with Scion.
Before damage, copy Dragon Tyrant.
Damage on the stack.
Copy Bolas.
Damage resolves.
Bolas trigger.
Copy Cairn Wanderer.
Damage on the stack.
Copy Teneb.
Teneb trigger.
Reanimate Bolas.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

EDH Poison cards by relevance:

90%: Blightsteel Colossus
9%: Grafted Exoskeleton
0.9%: Skittles
0.1%: Other

Inkmoth nexus + Hatred for a sweet surprise.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I have a Vish Kal deck that wins all those ways. It can only take down one player at a time but it usually does so completely out of nowhere. Lifelinking flier with Hatred, give Vish infect, or random infect guy pumped up unexpectedly. Its fairly effective since usually no one sees it coming, or they don't know if what looks like a minor attack is potentially lethal, so they're forced to waste removal or make unfavorable blocks. Usually I sit and wait for the table to sort out the order of who is most threatening then go for it. Grand Abolisher is a nice thing to have on the table when you go all in like that, and has most of the lifelinking fliers, so B/W is the way to go.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I use corrupted Conscience on my own Tromokratis (general) to essentially make it "double strike". E.g., needing 10 infect is about the same needing 21 commander damage if the commander had double strike. I do run Grappling Hook and Fireshrieker, but more "double strike" things to let me one shot people is better.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I have a Vish Kal deck that wins all those ways. It can only take down one player at a time but it usually does so completely out of nowhere. Lifelinking flier with Hatred, give Vish infect, or random infect guy pumped up unexpectedly. Its fairly effective since usually no one sees it coming, or they don't know if what looks like a minor attack is potentially lethal, so they're forced to waste removal or make unfavorable blocks. Usually I sit and wait for the table to sort out the order of who is most threatening then go for it. Grand Abolisher is a nice thing to have on the table when you go all in like that, and has most of the lifelinking fliers, so B/W is the way to go.

This is pretty much the way I'm leaning, actually. Flesh-Eater Imp is already a thing, Fallen Angel (or something with Fallen Ideal) and Nirkana Revenant (sadly no evasion) are also good Infect targets. I'll throw in a whole bunch of ramp, fun ETB creatures like Kokusho and Ashen Rider, and some reanimators, and I've basically got a deck.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

From the official rules:
If a card is put into the exile zone face down from anywhere, and a player is allowed to look at that card in exile, the player must immediately do so. If it's a commander owned by another player, the player that looked at it turns it face up and puts it into the command zone.

So Praetor's Grasp doesn't work but I believe Pyxis does

I've just looked up Praetor's Grasp, and the first Gatherer ruling says that other players, including the card's owner cannot look at the face-down card.
As I read it, it will work in the same way as Pyxis, in the card's owner cannot "know" that the card exiled is the commander, and thus it will not return to the command zone

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Man_alive posted:

I've just looked up Praetor's Grasp, and the first Gatherer ruling says that other players, including the card's owner cannot look at the face-down card.
As I read it, it will work in the same way as Pyxis, in the card's owner cannot "know" that the card exiled is the commander, and thus it will not return to the command zone

The important difference is that Praetor's Grasp lets you look at the exiled card, where Pyxis does not. In the rules, if you can look at the face down card, you must, and then if it is a commander you have to put it back. Pyxis doesn't have that clause, the cards remain hidden face down, so the information about the commander is never "known" and that rule doesn't come into play. The relevant rule is 903.13. It doesn't matter who looks at the card, you have to return it if it is someone's commander.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 2, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
1. My store is doing some sort of Commander 1v1 round robin tomorrow and I'm thinking about going. I have a few decks I could bring, what would you take?

Captain Sisay
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Vorel of the Hull Clade

Sisay seems like the obvious choice, but if it's 1v1 then I worry about starting off behind my opponent as the deck takes several turns to set up. Then again it's EDH so maybe everyone has that problem? It's been a while since I've done EDH admittedly, and I'm not sure if I've ever played 1v1. Also all the grinders and "good" players will likely be at a 5k in the city so the competition might not be so rough.

2. Does anyone run zombie tribal in this format? I picked up the black C14 pre-con and I'm really intrigued by Gisa, she seems like a black Krenko to me and with all the zombie Lords out there she could make a pretty nice amount of tokens each turn. Then again, Grimgrin might be a better general since there's some Zombie-themed blue cards in Innistrad. Has anyone seen this kind of deck before? Someone must run it, why else would Death Baron cost more than $10?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

2. Does anyone run zombie tribal in this format? I picked up the black C14 pre-con and I'm really intrigued by Gisa, she seems like a black Krenko to me and with all the zombie Lords out there she could make a pretty nice amount of tokens each turn. Then again, Grimgrin might be a better general since there's some Zombie-themed blue cards in Innistrad. Has anyone seen this kind of deck before? Someone must run it, why else would Death Baron cost more than $10?

Grimgrin is probably more powerful because you can get the hilarious combo of Rooftop Storm and Gravecrawler to just electric congaline a zombie into Grimgrin's face forevermore, along with the extra card-draw and non-creature-permanent-removal(mostly bounces) from blue. Then you can put both Gisa and Geralf in it and have a true sibling team-up. Most tribal decks are A Thing in EDH. Mono-black would also work pretty well.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Mondrian posted:

My LGS is going to start a casual commander league-type thingo: here are the rules -

Commander is any legend worth up to ~AUD$15 (so like $10-$12?)

The rest of the deck starts off as a pauper/peasant deck using only bulk commons and uncommons (so no Delvers and High Tides)
Each week you get $10 to spend on your deck, but no single card worth more than $5

I've got a few ideas for commander who might work:
Uril the Mist-stalker with equipments and auras
Darien, King of Kjeldor with white weenies
Someone in BUG or RUG playing infect + pump spells

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Ok so I threw together a deck using Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord as the commander just using stuff I had at hand plus a few bulk rares as my first week of upgrades- let me know what you think:

Basic idea is to play fatties, mill myself, use sac outlets to force people to sacrifice to Dictate of Erebos, then reanimate their fatties and kill them with Jarad's activated ability.
It probably needs stuff with Undying or Persist+Melira in there somewhere, so I can get more value off the sacrifices.

I feel like it probably needs more normal removal - I'm kinda hoping I can gum up the ground and just pick off flyers that i can't deal with.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mondrian posted:

Ok so I threw together a deck using Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord as the commander just using stuff I had at hand plus a few bulk rares as my first week of upgrades- let me know what you think:

Basic idea is to play fatties, mill myself, use sac outlets to force people to sacrifice to Dictate of Erebos, then reanimate their fatties and kill them with Jarad's activated ability.
It probably needs stuff with Undying or Persist+Melira in there somewhere, so I can get more value off the sacrifices.

I feel like it probably needs more normal removal - I'm kinda hoping I can gum up the ground and just pick off flyers that i can't deal with.

That's a real suspect strategy, and your weird deck construction rules make it pretty much impossible to give you accurate suggestions, but here goes:

You got a lot of durdles in your deck. Examples: Syphon Soul, Feast on the Fallen, Rakshasa's Secret.

Drop anything that doesn't directly impact the board meaningfully (giving you a couple +1/+1 counters conditionally, eventually isn't meaningful) and get some gas and interaction.

Ambition's Cost, Harmonize, Hoarder's Greed, Harrowing Journey, Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones, Syphon Mind (depending ont he size of the pods)

Play dudes with good EtB/dies effects:
Yavimaya Elder, Pelekka Wurm, Acidic Slime, Eternal Witness, Bone Shredder, Deadwood Treefolk, etc.

Play some real removal:
Go for the Throat, Betrayal of Flesh, Putrefy, Ghastly Demise, Slaughter, Snuff Out

Also, get some dredgers. At the very least:
Stinkweed Imp, Dakmor Salvage, and Golgari Thug

But most importantly, play Diabolic Servitude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

quote:

Jarad EDH

I wonder if there's any sort of token generator you could run in order to give yourself easy sac targets. I don't know of any that would fit your deckbuilding restrictions but look around. Also, maybe Death's Presence if you want to keep you +1/+1 counter train rolling but I don't think it's necessary if you aren't saccing those guys (which you probably shouldn't be in the first place).

Archenteron posted:

Then you can put both Gisa and Geralf in it and have a true sibling team-up.

Honestly that's as strong a selling point to me as anything else you said. Is that weird?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mondrian posted:

What Toshimo said, also:

You can't play Sandsteppe Citadel since it has a white symbol on it.

Since you're killing stuff, Morbid/death triggers might be good. Tragic Slip is a good removal option, and Skirsdag High Priest. If you really want Dictate of Erebos's effect, it's also on Butcher of Malakir (who's about 20 cents) and Grave Pact.

Sheoldred is a given I think.

Jared should be a good commander though, deck has a lot of potential for fun/shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

Honestly that's as strong a selling point to me as anything else you said. Is that weird?

Nothing wrong with flavor in an EDH deck. My U/B Clone/Steal/Reanimate deck's commander is the almost-never-gets-cast pretty much useless Ramirez DePietro because he's a Legendary Pirate. Wanted to make a new deck, looked through all the Legends from Legends, saw him, got inspired. Now I put tron decks' Grafted Exoskeletons onto esper lifegain decks' Serra Avatars, use Avacyns to turn on Heliod's Devotion, cast someone's Wheel of Fortune twice while I have a Notion Thief in play, use Memnarch and a Seedborn Muse to rubber-band Karona back to my field every turn, kill someone with their own commander damage, and collect everyone at the table's Sol Rings out of their decks like I was building the Olympic symbol. :yarr: