Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Zhou Yongkang just got his rear end thrown in the slammer. Xi Jinping's power is completely solidified at this point? Any of the other faction left in power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

TheBuilder posted:

Zhou Yongkang just got his rear end thrown in the slammer. Xi Jinping's power is completely solidified at this point? Any of the other faction left in power?

90 BILLION Yuan were confiscated from his family. Jesus gently caress, how the hell do people get that rich and still call themselves communist?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's called "lying." I've been thinking recently: China is very vulnerable to lies becoming "big lie" institutional facts because of this emphasis on rote learning and culture of never questioning authority and going along with the flow even if you know it's wrong. So some chairman or emperor cam say some offhand bullshit and 5 years later it's being taught as fact and even eclipsing previous knowledge.

I gotta remember that number when anyone tries to play the "America is corrupt too!" card. $17.4 billion! :drat:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Or maybe its because of the authoritarian government, Argle "pro-kmt" Bargle III.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Of course,the 90bn figure could also be a lie to ease the guy's way into jail

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Yeah because if it was a perfectly reasonable 1 or 2 billion yuan he had amassed on his government salary the Chinese people would think that's cool.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's hard to believe he would have kept that much money in China. Isn't the first thing you do is sending money overseas?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
One guy just recently got busted with so much cash in his house they couldn't count it so they had to weigh it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBalor posted:

It's hard to believe he would have kept that much money in China. Isn't the first thing you do is sending money overseas?

Four words, solid gold Mao statues.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the utility angle on that. What's this guy's utility for 2 tons of cash in his basement as opposed to 1 ton of cash? What's he getting out of that, really? Why is he even taking bribes at this point?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

90 bil yuan in 100 yuan notes (weighing 115g each) would weigh more than 100 thousand metric tons :monocle:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TheBalor posted:

If capital controls were limiting the rate at which he could do that, imagine how much more must still be out there.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I love the utility angle on that. What's this guy's utility for 2 tons of cash in his basement as opposed to 1 ton of cash? What's he getting out of that, really? Why is he even taking bribes at this point?

Greed, and inertia, probably. Think about how people would start to look at you if you stopped taking bribes. In a country where *everyone* takes their cut, the one man who isn't stands out sorely. People would probably assume that he was about to flip on them to investigators working for some rival, and the trust his whole political position was built on would collapse. By the time you make it to the upper echelons, you couldn't stop taking bribes even if you wanted to.

Probably mostly greed, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

90 bil yuan in 100 yuan notes (weighing 115g each) would weigh more than 100 thousand metric tons :monocle:

Different guy smartass.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

100 kilotonnes of cash

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How much trouble would an official get in if they stopped taking bribes, do you think?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

How much trouble would an official get in if they stopped taking bribes, do you think?

Why would you stop taking bribes? Only reason I see is that you know a hammer is about to come down, or are angling to consolidate your power base and advance yourself.

The best Chinese can hope for is removing bribes from day-to-day business, like applying for passports, passing a driver's exam, or going to school. Unfortunately, nationalism and departmental inertia prevent these reforms. Fixing this is easy and creates a secure middle class: pay your workers above-average salary with decent benefits. That'd require taxation, and if theres one thing China is good at, its institutionalizing the avoidance of taxation through direct bribery rather than civil institutions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why would you stop taking bribes? Only reason I see is that you know a hammer is about to come down, or are angling to consolidate your power base and advance yourself.

Because you have two tons of cash in the basement and can't find a place to store it or spend it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Fixing this is easy and creates a secure middle class

Oh it's you, hello My Imaginary GF.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Different guy smartass.

I know it's different, but I still found it amusing. You'd need several ocean liner s to get all that cash out of the country.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

I know it's different, but I still found it amusing. You'd need several ocean liner s to get all that cash out of the country.

Check your math. It's impossible for a 100 yuan note to weigh 118 grams.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Check your math. It's impossible for a 100 yuan note to weigh 118 grams.

Oops, I just calculated it according to this page http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2014-11/15/content_18918949.htm

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Something still strikes me as fishy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Putting a bank note at 2.5g (a little over, probably) is not a bad guesstimate

So 1.15g perhaps they mean?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Using 1.15g and 1.2 million notes gets you about 1.52 tons (1.38 tonnes)

Working backwards with 2.3 tons and 1.2 million notes gives 1.74g per note, which is far more believable, and right in line with my estimate above, if my estimate was 2g and not 2.5g

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Maybe they wrote down "1.75g" but the person typing the article up mistook the 7 for a 1 and similarly missed the decimal point

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Maybe they wrote down "1.75g" but the person typing the article up mistook the 7 for a 1 and similarly missed the decimal point

This is in keeping with the level of technical skill I have seen with chinese periodicals.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you even have so much cash in your house; launder it and put it in the bank. Can you imagine the absolute disaster it would be if your house caught on fire.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why would you even have so much cash in your house; launder it and put it in the bank. Can you imagine the absolute disaster it would be if your house caught on fire.
The dude probably doesn't trust Chinese banks, thus the basement stash.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would imagine the cash was vacuum sealed into bricks and then covered in that dust and paint combo they use in every building these days instead of proper stucco. There's always money in the Hall of the People.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I like the party guy who hid it in a pond.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
IIRC, one of the big south american drug lords found that when you store enough money in warehouses and mattresses, you start losing large percentages of it to rats, silverfish, and moths.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do they make green-treated money? Green-treated Green, so to speak.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

The dude probably doesn't trust Chinese banks, thus the basement stash.

The dude probably doesn't want to get caught with 2 tons of cash when he's supposed to get 30 100 yuan notes per month.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You keep that much money in the house because that's the cash your connections and bribers bring to you. You need to use a lot of them to grease the palms too so at least practically you need a lot of cash on hand.

Zhou didn't think he would fall because he was one of the 7 (9?) standing committee members and figured he was untouchable. If the president is still Hu him wouldn't have touched Zhou.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

whatever7 posted:

You keep that much money in the house because that's the cash your connections and bribers bring to you. You need to use a lot of them to grease the palms too so at least practically you need a lot of cash on hand.

Zhou didn't think he would fall because he was one of the 7 (9?) standing committee members and figured he was untouchable. If the president is still Hu him wouldn't have touched Zhou.

The real question is, was this purge telegraphed and just waiting for the hammer to come down, or was it an unpredicted move? If its the latter, thats s really poor sign for PRC's economic future.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

The real question is, was this purge telegraphed and just waiting for the hammer to come down, or was it an unpredicted move? If its the latter, thats s really poor sign for PRC's economic future.

Well considering that Zhou's son had been arrested for corruption a year ago, that Zhou had appeared in support of Bo Xilai earlier, we can say that this was predictable.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ceciltron posted:

Well considering that Zhou's son had been arrested for corruption a year ago, that Zhou had appeared in support of Bo Xilai earlier, we can say that this was predictable.

Ah. That could explain some of why he had so much cash on hand: patrons returning any gifts he'd made, while he still collects from his network.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ah. That could explain some of why he had so much cash on hand: patrons returning any gifts he'd made, while he still collects from his network.

No, that's not returned money. Those patrons would probably just dump the money rather than be seen returning it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The more I think about it, that number seems unrealistically high. 90 billion would be 5 times the amount Wen Jiabao's family supposedly made according to that article by the New York Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Imaginary GF posted:

I have heard a few obscure mentions of assassination attempt on Xi from random online posters and a CSIS speaker once. Assuming this is true and it was instigated by Zhou and Bo, then from the moment the assassination attempt failed, neither Xi nor Bo would have any chance to escape or funnel money to their descendants. The only difference was whether Zhou would go out under the guise of "early retirement" or publicly shamed on CCTV.

The people on Chinese forum knew Zhou was going down at lease after Bo Xilai anyway.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 7, 2014