Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

git is the node of source control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AWWNAW posted:

git is the node of source control

i see what you're going for but i disagree. node comes from complete idiots. git comes from linux kernel devs, who generally know what they're doing, but probably spend at least 1 hour doing version control for every 8 hours programming. this makes sense given the size of the project and global distribution of its developers. the problem is that git expects you to care about silly details of version control that you probably don't need to care about. also its command line interface (the only interface worth using) is bad bad bad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

whats the big deal? i use github but i just use sourcetree for everything and i've never read up on How Git Works or anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shithub

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
fwiw i have some systems in operations that require commit messages for no reason and i like to just include random facts.

i'll be arsed to put in "added a customer (customername)" thats stupid. ill put in like, a world record in sports from the 1800s or something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MononcQc posted:

A fun way to gently caress poo poo up with git was when it still had 'push' default to pushing all branches, so that if you had a bunch of branches with hosed up state or lagging on the origin you're pushing to and someone forgot about it and --forced the push, then you'd be crushing unrelated branches all by accident.

then they changed that and things were slightly less worse.

--force should be disabled as soon as a repo has more than one contributor.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

whats the big deal? i use github but i just use sourcetree for everything and i've never read up on How Git Works or anything

and who do you have to bother when your funky merge breaks the build and you have no idea how to fix it? the office git wizard, the one person who really does want to spend 1/8 of his day on version control. he's the reason you're using git, after all

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Space Whale posted:

I made a boo boo with Git yesterday. It was fixed, quickly, however the buildnazi got furious with me when I talked about it today. The issue was basically "merging the QA build into my work branch" when I meant to "merge my work branch into the QA build."

Just what can you undo, or not undo, with git? I had the actual boss saying "do command line!" and the buildnazi say "use sourcetree!" and by their powers combined I hosed up.

:smith:

Assuming your work branch didn't have too many commits, I'd probably just make a new branch based off the QA branch and cherry-pick my commits over. Also you guys should be using pull requests.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
git is actually good and cool

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

and who do you have to bother when your funky merge breaks the build and you have no idea how to fix it? the office git wizard, the one person who really does want to spend 1/8 of his day on version control. he's the reason you're using git, after all

not sure what kind of funky merges you're talking about. Every dev in the office has implied knowledge of how to merge. It's not any worse than merging branches on SVN.

that being said, you probably shouldn't use rebase, like ever

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MeruFM posted:

not sure what kind of funky merges you're talking about. Every dev in the office has implied knowledge of how to merge. It's not any worse than merging branches on SVN.

that being said, you probably shouldn't use rebase, like ever

no, you should rebase all your typos and fixups into one neat commit before you submit your pull request.

i know this is the safe zone and all, but you fuckers just don't know how this poo poo works.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i dont know, how do you do it when your weird merge breaks the build in svn or whatever

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the only reason people use git is because torvalds knocked out a prototype, no-one really gives a drat about changeset vs snapshot semantics.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rotor posted:

some shitbag at my last job gave an hourlong talk about how to "craft the code story" with your commits

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
one of my coworkers wants to move some of the code we've written to a public github repo while preserving commit history and i didn't have the heart to tell him just how poorly our commit messages would reflect on the company's ~~reputational capital~~

lol if you curate your commits instead of just vomiting code onto the screen

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
quitting your job using a commit message is extremely pro

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
githubs api is trash. the only scope permission that gives you access to the commit history of private repos you have contributed to also gives you write access to it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

github is trash

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bobbilljim posted:

git is actually good and cool

this version control seems good to me

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

rotor posted:

this version control seems good to me

source your quotes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why don't more people use mercurial?

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

because git is fine and is easier to type on ur keyboard

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Garbd posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Garbd posted:

git is my #1 go to example for worse is better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sourcetree is very needs suiting

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
what's the technical name for people who tend to write redundant crap? I mean, like this:

Python code:
def double(x):
    return (lambda x: 2*x)(x)
Python code:
first_digit = [x for x in str(some_integer)][0]

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
People who are safe in this thread!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

hobbesmaster posted:

why don't more people use mercurial?

Unless there's some hidden warts in Mercurial that I'm not aware of, it feels like its largely cultural at this point. The CLI is sane, and it still handles much of the stuff but does, but there's no Github for mercurial, Bitbucket did it but not before git through Github solidified as the defacto version control system for new open source projects.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Maluco Marinero posted:

Unless there's some hidden warts in Mercurial that I'm not aware of, it feels like its largely cultural at this point. The CLI is sane, and it still handles much of the stuff but does, but there's no Github for mercurial, Bitbucket did it but not before git through Github solidified as the defacto version control system for new open source projects*

* javascript frameworks

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it comes as a large surprise that other people in the industry do different things

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

yup the only thing on github is javascript frameworks, and the only people who use github are javascript framework developers. it's github's shameful secret...

some people in the industry don't use javascript (it's pretty shocking, i know) so we can't use githoob. We do.. different things :cool:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
most go packages are on github

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like yr complaints are now invalid HTH

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Papes posted:

what's the best resource for learning how to use laTex?

a few pages old, but I just read the book and did a few examples from it on my own system to get used to the tools and style. I also used an editor with great LaTeX support at the time (Alpha), which helped a lot.

hard to believe the OS, Alpha, a reasonably complete TeX distribution, GhostScript, and a ton of other stuff (including Eudora, Netscape, NiftyTelnet, CodeWarrior, Lotus 1-2-3, and WordPerfect) fit and ran well on a 25 MHz 68040 with 120 MB of disk.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the danger of using latex is once ytou start, you will find yourself needing to type up documents or anything paper based and be thinking "hmmm, now i better do this in latex"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
sourceforge is really bad compared to everything

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Papes posted:

what's the best resource for learning how to use laTex?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3330117 :toot:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Valeyard posted:

the danger of using latex is once ytou start, you will find yourself needing to type up documents or anything paper based and be thinking "hmmm, now i better do this in latex"

don't see the problem as long as you erase your memories of writing latex afterwards

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
when i was studying math i tried to do all my homework in latex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

sourceforge is really bad compared to everything

but you can't deliver ads and viruses over git pull!

• Locked thread