Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
It's one of those things where you don't even bother looking because it's so obviously lovely for you that you either don't eat it because you care, or you eat it and enjoy it for what it is because gently caress it, life's too short to not make even shorter by eating poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Probably around the 2500 calorie mark for the whole pizza depending on the oil usage.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

I really want to dive the GBR, but I don't want to go to QLD more. Ningaloo reef for me.

I was lucky enough to swim with a whale shark (and a coral banded sea snake) over at Ningaloo reef. Do it before you can't :)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Murodese posted:

Tried finding a KJ count for this and had absolutely no luck.

Lifehacker says it adds between 162 and 491kj, depending on the pizza.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

I went Greens, Woodyatt, Dems, ALP and the rest doesn't matter
Mad Katter and I handed out at Reynella East College today, there was the odd Greens voter there, including a few possible goons? We'll have to hold a Goonmeet to meet you elusive Adelaide goons.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Frogmanv2 posted:

I really want to dive the GBR, but I don't want to go to QLD more. Ningaloo reef for me.

Ningaloo is better diving than most of the GBR trips you can do anyway - the outer reef day trips out of Cairns are a bit blah, except for saying "I've dived the barrier reef". Coral sea and Ribbon reefs is where it's at on that side of the country.

I kinda feel you about QLD in a lot of ways, but it's a varied as hell part of the country and not something you can just easily stereotype. Certainly I found people as a whole more switched on up in FNQ that I would have in an equivalent area of WA.

Maybe that's cos I was hanging out with Kuranda hippies, but hey...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I could post photos but all you guys need to know is that the famous colourful Coral is gone and they domesticate big fish with prawn feeding frenzies so that children can touch them.

I hired all the gear, oh yeah time to see some sort of crazy alien deep ocean poo poo and all there was were fat domesticated fish and dead Coral like the ruins of Atlantis.

Then I went on a complimentary submarine tour and all I got was the same thing except this time, the submarine's propellers were wrecking the poo poo out of dead coral.

I asked the "marine expert" who was taking questions on our tour if the reef is shrinking or dying and he denied both. According to this sad man, the reef isn't shrinking or dying. It's changing but the change is seasonal and all the coral will grow back. He then thanked the Queensland government and also denied my followup question about climate change killing the reef and said the reef has been the same for decades.

Here is a picture anyway.

Grey and lifeless just like liberal voters. White with no colour just like our immigration policy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm not supposed to dive because i have asthma and the inflammation of bronchioles can lead to air pockets getting trapped in the lungs and expanding upon resurface, resulting in death :smith:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Anidav posted:

I asked the "marine expert" who was taking questions on our tour if the reef is shrinking or dying and he denied both. According to this sad man, the reef isn't shrinking or dying. It's changing but the change is seasonal and all the coral will grow back. He then thanked the Queensland government and also denied my followup question about climate change killing the reef and said the reef has been the same for decades.

Here is a picture anyway.

Deleted image because that hurts my soul to see..

At least the bloke who was leading the dive for us was up front about it. "Yeah mate, it's hosed. The crown of thorns starfish has taken most of it, and warming water will get the rest.. see it while you can". Then a huge rant about how successive governments have cut funding to dealing with the crown of thorns in particular. The dive operators are keeping the areas they take tourists to reasonably clean (and once it was clear we knew what we were doing in the water, we decided to go on a bit of a "pick off the juvenile starfish" mission), but much of the rest of the reef is overrun by the things.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm not supposed to dive because i have asthma and the inflammation of bronchioles can lead to air pockets getting trapped in the lungs and expanding upon resurface, resulting in death :smith:

As long as it's in the spirit of Auspol

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
Handing out for the Greens in Fisher today I had a good chat to some of the Labor Left guys.

Apparently when they were out campaigning in Sturt during the last federal election they ran into Christopher Pyne and his volunteers. He promptly walked over to the Labor volunteers and said, "You know why I'm going to win? Because I have more money than you!" and gave that sneering laugh he's so fond of.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Suicide by Great Barrier Reef is one of the better ways to go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

A man who doesn't want to lose his job, or Newman's dogmatist-only hiring policy is reaching new depths.

The early booths are in, and they have a big swing to Liberal :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Suicide by Great Barrier Reef is one of the better ways to go.

Rather do something useful like seeing how many crown of thorns I can eat

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/sa/2014/fisher/result.htm

It's not looking good at the moment :welp:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Woodyatt is getting slammed. What has (or hasn't) he done?

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Matthew Beet posted:

Well Fisher has always been a liberal seat. The libs always came second after Bob Such, and even he used to be a liberal party member.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Apparently when they were out campaigning in Sturt during the last federal election they ran into Christopher Pyne and his volunteers. He promptly walked over to the Labor volunteers and said, "You know why I'm going to win? Because I have more money than you!" and gave that sneering laugh he's so fond of.

Reason to punch Pyne in the neck #547

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Reason to punch Pyne in the neck #547

What's #1?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Apparently over 20% of the electorate pre-poll voted so it might be a lot closer than it looks.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Systematic posted:

What's #1?

#1 through 10 are his smug loving face.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Systematic posted:

What's #1?

His face is too loving ugly e:fb

With this amazing new law that's just passed the senate, I read an article that says all references to the refugee convention are removed from Australian law. Does that mean we're no longer a signatory?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Matthew Beet posted:

Phoneposting but there was some recent slamming regarding some Nazi-inspired imagery in a music clip from a band he used to play in, not sure how much that contributed though.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Starshark posted:

With this amazing new law that's just passed the senate, I read an article that says all references to the refugee convention are removed from Australian law. Does that mean we're no longer a signatory?

Should I put my swastika armband on now?

Nuclear Spy posted:

Phoneposting but there was some recent slamming regarding some Nazi-inspired imagery in a music clip from a band he used to play in, not sure how much that contributed though.

1. he was just the drummer of the band, and had nothing to do with the video

2. It was a song preaching against war and violence (all war documentaries also feature nazi footage, it doesn't glorify it, and neither does the clip)

3. of course the media get their panties in a bunch because "LOL METAL/PUNK IS ABOUT VIOLENCE"

4. only family first would bitch and moan about one music clip

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 6, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nuclear Spy posted:

Band does something subversive for attention. News at 11.

"But dearie, the Beatles never did anything subversive back in my day! They were clean cut young lads!" *adjusts spectacles*

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

That depends a bit on your perspective. Given the crisis in the Education department and the massive ESL hike, for the ALP candidate to get a nearly 7% swing too them in a traditionally Liberal seat is, I'd argue most impressive.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Here's the article if anyone's interested (actually it looks like an opinion piece drat modern media I can't keep up)

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/05/senate-gives-scott-morrison-unchecked-control-over-asylum-seekers-lives

Scott Morrison is now the most powerful person in the Australian government.

The passage of the migration and maritime powers legislation amendment (resolving the asylum legacy caseload) bill 2014 has given the immigration minister, while he holds that job, unprecedented, unchallengeable, and secret powers to control the lives of asylum seekers.

Previous immigration ministers have decried the burden and the caprice of “playing God” with asylum seekers’ lives, but the government has chosen, instead, to install even greater powers in the office of the minister.

With the Senate’s acquiescence, Scott Morrison has won untrammelled power.

No other minister, not the prime minister, not the foreign minister, not the attorney-general, has the same unchecked control over the lives of other people.

With the passage of the new law, the minister can push any asylum seeker boat back into the sea and leave it there.

The minister can block an asylum seeker from ever making a protection claim on the ill-defined grounds of “character” or “national interest”. His reasons can be secret.

He can detain people without charge, or deport them to any country he chooses even if it is known they’ll be tortured there.

Morrison’s decisions cannot be challenged.

Boat arrivals will have no access to the Refugee Review Tribunal.

Instead, they will be classed as “fast track applicants” whose only appeal is to a new agency, the Immigration Assessment Authority, but they will not get a hearing, only a paper review.

“Excluded fast track applicants” will only have access to an internal review by Morrison’s own department.

The bill is a seismic piece of legislation – one that destroys more than it creates.

The government argues the new law will remove the obstructions that exist to it fulfilling its mandate of “stopping the boats”.
asylum seeker boats Australian navy personnel transfer Afghanistan asylum-seekers to a Indonesian rescue boat near West Java. Due to the passing on the amendments, the government is now entitled to return an asylum seeker to a country where they have been, or it is known they will be, tortured. Photograph: AFP/AFP/Getty Images

Critics – and they are a formidable group, including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the UN’s Committee Against Torture and parliament’s own human rights committee – say the bill strips the checks and balances that have always existed in Australia’s immigration system, and removes basic protections for those who arrive seeking asylum.
Advertisement

Australia now regards itself as free from the bonds of the Refugees Convention – a treaty Australia helped write, and willingly signed up to, more than half a century ago. All references to it have been removed from Australian law.

Instead of adhering to the established, internationally-agreed framework for dealing with asylum seekers, Australia will follow a “new, independent and self-contained statutory framework”, that sets out the government’s own interpretation of international law.

That new interpretation is apparent in this bill. Refugee law is built upon the fundamental principle of non-refoulement, which forbids returning a person to their persecutors.

It exists not only in the Refugees Convention, but in customary law. It is recognised by every country.

Australian law now says: “it is irrelevant whether Australia has non-refoulement obligations in respect of an unlawful non-citizen”.

Stripped of the legalese, that paragraph says Australia is now entitled to return an asylum seeker to a country where they have been, or it is known they will be, tortured.

Overwhelmingly, the public focus of the legislation, and the sharp end of Senate negotiations, has been around temporary protection visas (TPVs), though they form only a small part of the bill.

TPVs have been trialled in Australia before and failed. Between 1999 and 2007 (when they were abandoned) Australia granted 11,206 TPVs. And 95% of those visa holders were ultimately granted permanent protection.

The number of boat arrivals to Australia increased after the introduction of TPVs, and more of those arrivals were women and children. (Because the TPVs forbade family reunion, entire families climbed onto boats, or women and children came to meet men already in the country.)

In the Senate horse-trading, significant concessions have been won.

Morrison has been forced to capitulate on his most fundamental commitment – the pathway to permanence – but it is a concession in principle, and name only.

In amendments to the legislation, the government has opened up the possibility – though it appears an exceedingly remote likelihood – of a temporary protection visa progressing to a permanent visa in Australia.

On November 25, Morrison said: “There’s no way I will lift the bar to give someone a permanent visa. We gave an absolute commitment on that and I’m not going to send a message … that permanent visas are on offer in Australia again for people who have arrived illegally by boat.”

This week he said, “at the end of a Special Humanitarian Enterprise Visa people can apply for visas which include permanent visas”.

The door has been opened, if only a sliver, to the possibility of a permanent visa to stay in Australia for someone who arrived by boat. But it is an unlikely reality for anyone, Morrison has said.

While anxious to keep the “sugar off the table” for asylum seekers, Morrison has offered the Senate crossbench a series of sweeteners in exchange for their votes this week.

He has promised to soften the cuts to Australia’s humanitarian refugee intake.

The government had planned to cut the number of offshore refugees resettled by Australia from 20,000 to 13,750. The new intake will be 18,750 over the next four years.

Asylum seekers will be moved off Christmas Island to the mainland of Australia while their claims are processed. Up to 468 children will be released from detention.

And about 25,000 people currently living in Australia on bridging visas will be given the right to work.

These are significant concessions, but they are decisions Morrison could have made at any time, and they are not – despite efforts to portray them as such – in any way related to the new law.

Manus Island and Nauru currently hold 2,151 refugees and asylum seekers. Detention centres there have been blighted by violence, sexual assault, and suicide attempts, but are unaffected by the new laws, or the government’s concessions.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

homebrew posted:

That depends a bit on your perspective. Given the crisis in the Education department and the massive ESL hike, for the ALP candidate to get a nearly 7% swing too them in a traditionally Liberal seat is, I'd argue most impressive.

It's impressive that the ALP candidate got that many votes, but at the end of the day, the candidate with the MOST votes wins. And if we judge it by the current swing- The libs will get it (not including the votes left to count or postal votes)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Systematic posted:

It's impressive that the ALP candidate got that many votes, but at the end of the day, the candidate with the MOST votes wins. And if we judge it by the current swing- The libs will get it (not including the votes left to count or postal votes)

ABC's projection has the ALP winning by 2% :v:

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Systematic posted:

This is indeed true, but it is also the norm that by-elections swing away from the government of the day.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Starshark posted:

His face is too loving ugly e:fb

Joining such luminaries as North Korea, Libya and... I can't find any other notable states that aren't signatories.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
What's the opinion of this thread on work for the dole, and in particular it being reintroduced in remote areas (read: places where non-white people live)?

My family describes it as 'the last piece of socialism left in Australia' but I fail to see how paying people less than minimum wage for lovely work is in any way socialist???

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ungulateman posted:

What's the opinion of this thread on work for the dole, and in particular it being reintroduced in remote areas (read: places where non-white people live)?

My family describes it as 'the last piece of slavery left in Australia' but I fail to see how paying people less than minimum wage for lovely work is in any way socialist???

ftfy

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Actually it's not the last :negative:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ungulateman posted:

My family describes it as 'the last piece of socialism left in Australia' but I fail to see how paying people less than minimum wage for lovely work is in any way socialist???

it's bad.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Look, work for the dole would be great if it actually ran like it was supposed to. Identifying and grouping people based on skill gaps, designing / developing some sort of experience and training to help overcome that skill gap and also help socially isolated people interact with their communities. blah blah blah.

Instead the JSA agencies use it as a compliance tool. They just find the cheapest busy work around and just keep chucking people at it hoping they'll shake out the cheats and the bludgers and get mad coin for it, gently caress all the rest.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Work for the dole would be wonderful if anyone involved in the scheme was guaranteed to not make any money off it. Say the only way to even be involved in it was to be on the dole and you get no increase in money.

As soon as people stop trying to legalise slavery then this can change.

Alternatively, if job creators have more jobs available than job seekers then we can talk. Until then job creators need to lift their game.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Given the Australian parliament does not see the need for judicial review of ministerial powers, I am hoping this can usher in a new era of efficiency in government.

From now on, all court convictions and sentences will be handled by George Brandis, his weighty mind unfettered by archaic conventions and statute.

Joe Hockey will personally decide how much tax each Australian pays on an individual basis free but I compelled to consider how much money you in fact make.

Eric Abetz will himself set down the terms for your employment and termination.

Oh wait, that would affect white people. Never mind then.

Please embargo this shitfuck of a country.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Starshark posted:

The government had planned to cut the number of offshore refugees resettled by Australia from 20,000 to 13,750. The new intake will be 18,750 over the next four years.

Am I reading that right, the intake was 20,000 and they're reducing it to 18,750, and that's somehow a concession?

The whole narrative of concessions is bullshit. They could have made these decisions at any time, they didn't need any legislation, it's just a bargaining tool. And poor old Muir fell for it despite wanting to do the right thing.

quote:

Australian law now says: “it is irrelevant whether Australia has non-refoulement obligations in respect of an unlawful non-citizen”.

Great news speak right there, always use lots of words when a few will do. Like "Australia will now refoule refugees".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Fisher by election shows 2 party preferred:

alp 51.5%,
lib 48.5%

WHAT, my god if the ALP win this...

• Locked thread