Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Testekill posted:

What the gently caress kind of award could rear end-Creed Unity be nominated for outside of most broken major release?

Whatever awards Ubisoft wants to buy it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Testekill posted:

What the gently caress kind of award could rear end-Creed Unity be nominated for outside of most broken major release?

It was a buggy mess, but when it works, the crowds and environmental details are some of the best I've ever seen.
But no developer should be rewarded for releasing a game in that state (though I do get a free game soon because of it, but it'll probably be UPLAY only...)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

With all the stuff you'll wind up buying during a steam sale, $15 will probably be a drop in the bucket.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I've always wonder about this, people mention steam gets a cut of like 30% from most indie games or something. But how are sales distributed when you get a steam key from a site like GMG?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had a copy of Carmageddon TDR3000 in my inventory and now its gone and I don't have it added to my list. Anyone know what could have happened to it?

I remember steam being real slow when I checked my inventory so I quit and relaunched and it was gone. I should have had carmageddon 1 and 2 as well but they never showed up. TDR3000 is the only one I actually saw in my inventory before it disappeared.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Drakes posted:

I've always wonder about this, people mention steam gets a cut of like 30% from most indie games or something. But how are sales distributed when you get a steam key from a site like GMG?

I heard they buy keys at a bulk rate from the developer

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Come watch me fight the final boss of Wings of Vi over and over and over and over and over and over...

-snip- Boss dead, busty angels rule the skies.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 6, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Testekill posted:

They basically honored themselves when they decided to give away Far Cry 4 for free to everybody who wasted money on the Season Pass.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

$15 is unreasonable? :raise:

Shovel Knights is easily worth four times that. I was referring to a different hypothetical game.
Everyone should play Shovel Knights on one platform or another.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Taylor Swift and COD. The combination made in heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZQMaJSXVA

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

Come watch me fight the final boss of Wings of Vi over and over and over and over and over and over...

steam://broadcast/watch/76561197995079457

I thought that game might be better than it initially looked, but now I see that it is some unholy abomination designed to break controllers and monitors.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Underwhelmed posted:

I thought that game might be better than it initially looked, but now I see that it is some unholy abomination designed to break controllers and monitors.

Curiously enough, that's part of what makes it better than it looks. :D

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Underwhelmed posted:

It's honestly one of the best designed bossfights I've ever tried in a 2d platformer, everything has clear tells if you know what to look for. You just have to have flawless execution, timing, and not lose focus for the entire fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Testekill posted:

Game of the Year, I assume.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't hosted a game in a few days, so come and play drawful!

http://www.hitbox.tv/ragequitsa

Edit: No takers after 15 minutes, so I'll try again around 10 PM CST. Just over an hour from now.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 6, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So is the Starmade on steam the same one that was free before? Is there enough awesome new stuff to actually pay money for it?

Owl Ninja
Nov 6, 2005

Silently waiting... watching...
And now the exciting conclusion to my 800m game on Pinball FX2!

http://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198003735770

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
new DOA footage leaked
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/Bhf41tJ.webm
:nws:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
For some reason it reminds me of this.
:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuluDBHpfQ:nms:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's a penis, alright.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah

Owl Ninja
Nov 6, 2005

Thanks to anyone who tuned in! Final score was 1.3 billion. Not quite enough to improve my standing, but maybe next time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The dog's bollocks, as they say.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Owl Ninja posted:

Thanks to anyone who tuned in! Final score was 1.3 billion. Not quite enough to improve my standing, but maybe next time.

That last ball.

Owl Ninja
Nov 6, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

That last ball.

Pretty embarrasing. I'm sorry you had to see that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The How to Train Your Dragon MMO is getting a bunch of "what is this, for babies?" reviews. So here's the question - is that actually a decent game to introduce a young child (who loves dragons) to?

Edit - Wow, half the menus on steam (both in client and the browser) have weird # and _ and brackets all over them. Weird. What's up?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno that I would want to introduce a young child to an MMO of any kind, regardless of difficulty.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This game looks kinda neat but unfortunately it's not a True 3D Platformer because it handles all of its platforming via a free run button ala Assassin's Creed: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260160/?snr=1_620_4__46

Still waiting for a good 3D platformer post-Psychonauts. This has to be the longest drought of any genre on PC.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Grandpa and Big?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've played a little of Tiny & Big and I wasn't thrilled by it. Something about it just feels.. very amateur and unpolished.

The only other one I can think of is Papo & Yo and that game is pretty darn short and not very difficult.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quest For Glory II posted:

This game looks kinda neat but unfortunately it's not a True 3D Platformer because it handles all of its platforming via a free run button ala Assassin's Creed: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260160/?snr=1_620_4__46

Still waiting for a good 3D platformer post-Psychonauts. This has to be the longest drought of any genre on PC.

Some of the LEGO games arguably qualify, as does half of Sonic Generations (depending on what you put into “platformer”) but yes — that's pretty much all console these days.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Unfortunatelly that color palette looks like total puke goddamn. Yes let's mix basic green with basic blue with basic yellow and red. It seems only Mario games know how to do this right.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The best bet right now looks to be A Hat In Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uG6ntdrDL8

It's a tribute to N64-era exploration/collectathon platformers. Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, etc. I've played a bit of an earlier build and they've absolutely nailed that belly-side. It's just fun to run and jump about.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

corn in the bible posted:

is that why missions keep restricting all the abilities

Virtually all of the missions that restrict the powers have an interesting gimmick to compensate and usually have a good reason for doing so. Volition actually took the time to compensate for the gameplay:story disparity that other open world games are known for.

So yeah there are some missions where you can't run around at the speed of sound and shoot fire from your rear end but there's usually a good reason for it, like you're in a place where running at an uncontrollable speed is impractical.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dominic White posted:

The best bet right now looks to be A Hat In Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uG6ntdrDL8

It's a tribute to N64-era exploration/collectathon platformers. Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, etc. I've played a bit of an earlier build and they've absolutely nailed that belly-side. It's just fun to run and jump about.

I feel like I've been waiting on that game for years :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xaris posted:

I feel like I've been waiting on that game for years :(

About a year and a half, I'd say. Game development takes a lot longer than most people assume, even for 'simple' games. I recall that the original Serious Sam was something like five years in development.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Haven't played it myself, but didn't Alice Madness Returns get good reviews?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Kly posted:

Shovel Knights is easily worth four times that. I was referring to a different hypothetical game.
Everyone should play Shovel Knights on one platform or another.

You're exaggerating a lot. It's an OK game, nothing more. If they had made the exact same game except with all anime girl characters y'all would have torn it to shreds. Nostalgia is a funny thing...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shovel Knight is a very good game. That's the problem, if it's good and popular people start the hyperbole and blow everything out of proportions.

GhostDog posted:

Haven't played it myself, but didn't Alice Madness Returns get good reviews?

If it did they're lying through their teeth. That game at its very best can only strive for mediocrity. The artists clearly put a lot of effort in, but they're the only ones. Combat, movement, nothing is good or fun about how you play that game and every level is three times longer than they need to be. And to cap every one off there's a lame boss fight fake out (only one boss in the game, and that's at the very end). Also every minigame is atrocious, and there are a fair few. Please don't play this game.

Though I guess Psychonauts isn't a very high bar to set for platformers. It has some of the best writing and humor around, but not exactly stellar gameplay. At a certain point you gotta think that maybe it's time to get a Wii U and the latest Mario game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Palpek posted:

They basically honored themselves when they decided to give away Far Cry 4 for free to everybody who wasted money on the Season Pass.

The season pass is like £25, it would have been extremely lovely if they didn't offer anything less than a full game for that price.

• Locked thread