Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hopterque posted:

It's weird because I don't have problems controlling my cars of various specs.

I mostly don't either (although I find the level to which dirt spec slides around when offloading to be comical.) But if you spin out, the slow way which they have to roll to a stop before they can start going forward again is ridiculous. Someone nudged you into a spin, enjoy taking an infinity to right yourself and get back up to speed.

If the core game was awesome, I'd put up with more of the little bullshit.

But it's not awesome... so, yeah. Better things to do.

I'll show myself out now. ;) (thanks to everyone for the info and advice earlier on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dirt's actually my favorite spec just because of how ludicrous the sliding is. If you're on pavement it basically looks like an old 70's police chase scene, with cars hanging the rear end end out and doing these wide, sweeping drifts around every corner :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

All money is for is buying new cars to be perfectly honest.
All raids are for is getting new gear.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Great Joe posted:

All raids are for is getting new gear.

You do realize the entire point of the game is: Race cars -> get money -> use money to buy cooler cars or play dress up with your current car -> repeat, right?

Not only that, but you do raids to get better gear to make bigger numbers. You don't have to do any of that in The Crew. You can do just as well in a starter car in a particular spec as you can in a car you decided to save up and buy in the same spec. You're not forced to grind for sweet epic cars or whatever, you can do fine just by playing the story and upgrading your Mustang / Camaro / Challenger from the beginning. Want to save up a ton of cash and buy a rad Lamborghini and tune it up? Awesome, that's why they give you so many customization options and ways to make cash. Want to stick with just your first car and use it for everything because you don't feel like doing any side stuff? You can do that too. I seriously do not understand the problem you have with this game :shrug:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 5, 2014

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I've just made it to Chicago after taking a little detour to NYC to get my dirt spec. I like just playing some of my own music and turning the radio off while I cruise around and so whatever challenges/missions I come across.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

T1g4h posted:

Dirt's actually my favorite spec just because of how ludicrous the sliding is. If you're on pavement it basically looks like an old 70's police chase scene, with cars hanging the rear end end out and doing these wide, sweeping drifts around every corner :v:

That's how I race every spec though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Want to save up a ton of cash and buy a rad Lamborghini and tune it up? Awesome, that's why they give you so many customization options and ways to make cash.
No, that's why there's a real cash money system in this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reviews are hitting and hey what a shock, they're all shittacular. It's almost like they didn't send out review copies because they wanted to try and sucker people into buying this before word spread too far that it was a tremendous pile of poo poo or something. I sure didn't see this coming!

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
The Crew is not a $60 game, but it'll probably give me $60 worth of enjoyment. TDU2 was even more broken and I still spent close to 200 hours just cruising around in that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Shadowlz posted:

That's how I race every spec though.

I try to, but Perf is basically impossible to drift in. My Camaro just grips and pulls and does this weird wobbling thing if I try to break it loose :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 6, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I gotta say, this game is really fun. I mean, it is a bit slippy at times, but having come off of Forza, it is nice to have a nice screw around game where I can fly through a forest at 120mph. I just wish that there were more cars, particularly more old BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos. And I would kill for a Porsche 928, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

jadebullet posted:

I gotta say, this game is really fun. I mean, it is a bit slippy at times, but having come off of Forza, it is nice to have a nice screw around game where I can fly through a forest at 120mph. I just wish that there were more cars, particularly more old BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos. And I would kill for a Porsche 928, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

Most of the time its fun, sometimes the game does weird things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCK0KAt44k0

I still have no idea why Sarah teleported 2 spaces forwards just for me to ram her rear end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cubey posted:

Reviews are hitting and hey what a shock, they're all shittacular. It's almost like they didn't send out review copies because they wanted to try and sucker people into buying this before word spread too far that it was a tremendous pile of poo poo or something. I sure didn't see this coming!

I sure see a lot of people in here enjoying it, along with Joe continuously trying to be funny.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I did one of the hour long Raid spec faction missions earlier, holy gently caress that was really fun. It's pretty much just a solid hour of ramping off mountains, jumping off cliffs, and blasting through forests at 100mph. Raid is loving amazing if you just want to sit back and have a blast getting crazy air in your unstoppable offroad machine.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I haven't had too many issues with driving. I fiddled with the setting and stay 50 feet away from driving out-side views.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

T1g4h posted:

I did one of the hour long Raid spec faction missions earlier, holy gently caress that was really fun. It's pretty much just a solid hour of ramping off mountains, jumping off cliffs, and blasting through forests at 100mph. Raid is loving amazing if you just want to sit back and have a blast getting crazy air in your unstoppable offroad machine.

Yeah man I did one of the ones that starts up in the mountains, the first half is just plowing through snowy hills and forests ramping over poo poo, and thee last half is down on the plains running through canyons, it was awesome.

I also discovered that there is a Lamborghini Miura :monocle: hiding in the Miami car dealer, and it is AWESOME. :v: Now all it needs is more specs. Baasically everything needs a raid spec.

I figured out that while each dealer shows 8 cars, they actually have more, and the stock rotates. But you can still access everything through the collection menu anyway once you've been to each dealer.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

I sure see a lot of people in here enjoying it, along with Joe continuously trying to be funny.
Yeah, there's you defending your purchase and T1g4h going :shrug:

Edit: and I'm not even trying to be funny, this game is just hilariously skeevy on all accounts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What a banner year Ubisoft is having.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

At least Far Cry 4 was good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dan Didio posted:

It sure doesn't give me any hope that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be anywhere near as good as the first. If they ever even actually make the drat thing at all, that is.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I personally think that the game is pretty good for what I was expecting. I mean, I am getting my entertainment value out of it, and that is what is important to me. I mean it has some issues, but nothing really game breaking for me yet. The world is pretty nicely designed, with there even being trains to blast in front of, which is a nice touch. Car handling so far hasn't been too much of an issue for me, though I am sure that that might change. Its an arcade racer so that might be effecting my bias a bit there, I still love Test Drive 5 and the cars feel oddly similar. I haven't done anything multiplayer yet, other than just blasting as close to players as I can as I drive past, but I don't really care too much about the co-op aspect of the game.

In any case, I went into this game expecting an arcade racer with an immersive world to explore and gently caress around in, and that was what was delivered to me, so I am personally satisfied in that department.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Great Joe posted:

At least Far Cry 4 was good.

It's good, but it's basically just Far Cry 3.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It's good, but it's basically just Far Cry 3.

Assassin's Creed Unity was basically just Assassin's Creed Black Flag 3 2 and the scale of the botching there makes me think that they did a wonderful job with FC4.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jadebullet posted:

In any case, I went into this game expecting an arcade racer with an immersive world to explore and gently caress around in, and that was what was delivered to me, so I am personally satisfied in that department.

Same. I bought this to play car dress up and explore the US in jacked up offroad muscle cars, it delivers on all fronts. Also, the AI really does not know how to handle Raid. It does amazing on street races, but when you give it point to point stuff over huge open wilderness runs, it's not too great. The Raid spec faction missions are pretty easy to dominate in.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
okay I am a little irritated that EVERY car is RWD, regardless of what the game claims. I am pretty sure I shouldn't be able to do rear-wheel burnouts in a Golf, anyway.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's this Friends With Benefits perk from Roxanne meant to be?
2/3/4 friends can be sent on Faction Missions at the same time.
So... you can invite friends to faction missions?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
drat this game is fun. I bought it with one eye narrowed, but it's delivering for me. Having a ton of fun racing around the fake United States' varied scenery and I'm not even halfway through it. Saw one of those hour long missions and wanted to check it out but didn't have enough time. Later.

I can only hope they open up more of the world outside of the United States later on.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I got a chance to play this with my friend. It's okay. Feels like it's missing something but I don't know what

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Croccers posted:

I've been wondering that myself. I took all 3 ranks of it, so if anybody wants to do some co-op Faction stuff, let me know. I'm T1gg4h on U-Play or T1g4h on Steam. Hit level 50 last night and now i'm chasing Platinum parts and leaderboard records. I actually have the #1 spot in some of the racing line challenges, though I know that won't last :v:

vvv Aww, really? Lame, guess i'll be respeccing out of it then.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Croccers posted:

It's like the stuff in Assassin's Creed. When you choose a faction mission, you have an option to send friends who have played The Crew instead. They get a chance to succeed % and a time. When the time runs out, you either get a reward (money and rep) or nothing depending on if they succeed, which is pure RNG. For reference, I just sent 3 friends on a 2.5 hour, 88k payout mission. 93% chance to win. If it succeeds, I get 16k, and it takes 3 hours.

Working on getting every spec to platinum parts now. Well, they're all all-plat, but I've only got one car, my circuit spec, to 1299 now.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

It's like the stuff in Assassin's Creed. When you choose a faction mission, you have an option to send friends who have played The Crew instead. They get a chance to succeed % and a time. When the time runs out, you either get a reward (money and rep) or nothing depending on if they succeed, which is pure RNG. For reference, I just sent 3 friends on a 2.5 hour, 88k payout mission. 93% chance to win. If it succeeds, I get 16k, and it takes 3 hours.

tim rogers posted:

You happen to have one free premium currency unit. The game makes you use it now. Now you have a thing. Now it says to wait three minutes to collect from that thing. So they have a reason to stick around for three minutes. When those three minutes are up, you tell them to come back in a half an hour. You say, ‘You’re done for now. Come back in a half an hour.’ The phone sends them a push notification in a half an hour. Right here, you’re telling them to wait. You’re expressing to them the importance of patience. They’re never going to forget the way it feels to wait a half an hour after playing a game for one minute. They’re going to forget the second time they wait for a half an hour, and the third time, and they’ll then not forget the first time they have to wait for four hours, then twenty-four hours. This is why they’ll start to pay to Have Things Right Now.

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!
Wait, people have problems controlling cars in this game? The gently caress? Have you played anything but binary grip or spin out "sim" games before? Have you driven a car? Do you understand the basics of Centrifugal force? Because if any of that poo poo is true then you should have no problem.

Its basic car game controls and handling that are just a tiny bit more unforgiving then say need for speed: hot pursuit. I actually find it a bit too forgiving at times since losing a race is near impossible. You mix lines and drifting and pick out paths through traffic. Don't know how to drift? Brake more and grip that corner in anything approaching a decent line and you'll be fine(you dont actually need the game to hold your hand and tell you how to do that. Its pretty basic, just let that accelerator rest for half a second).

You still don't get it? Try to take that corner you just crashed more then just the one failed time and figure out how your car actually handles. I have yet to find a car in this game that was hard to drive, but i have found several that i don't have a preference for because they don't suit my driving style. Hit the slalom skill too, that will let you know the limits of your car (or yourself).

I didn't have any expectation what so ever for this game and i turns out i like it, i like it a lot. The world is great and i love just driving without objectives or destinations both off road and on, because i actually find the handling fun and enjoyable for long stretches of time. The only thing i haven't really liked about the game so far is the escape missions and take down missions. Since the former relies to heavily on random cop spawns that screw you over and the later on scripted AI paths that you just have to learn by restarting.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pessimisten posted:

Wait, people have problems controlling cars in this game? The gently caress? Have you played anything but binary grip or spin out "sim" games before? Have you driven a car? Do you understand the basics of Centrifugal force? Because if any of that poo poo is true then you should have no problem.

Its basic car game controls and handling that are just a tiny bit more unforgiving then say need for speed: hot pursuit. I actually find it a bit too forgiving at times since losing a race is near impossible. You mix lines and drifting and pick out paths through traffic. Don't know how to drift? Brake more and grip that corner in anything approaching a decent line and you'll be fine(you dont actually need the game to hold your hand and tell you how to do that. Its pretty basic, just let that accelerator rest for half a second).

You still don't get it? Try to take that corner you just crashed more then just the one failed time and figure out how your car actually handles. I have yet to find a car in this game that was hard to drive, but i have found several that i don't have a preference for because they don't suit my driving style. Hit the slalom skill too, that will let you know the limits of your car (or yourself).

I didn't have any expectation what so ever for this game and i turns out i like it, i like it a lot. The world is great and i love just driving without objectives or destinations both off road and on, because i actually find the handling fun and enjoyable for long stretches of time. The only thing i haven't really liked about the game so far is the escape missions and take down missions. Since the former relies to heavily on random cop spawns that screw you over and the later on scripted AI paths that you just have to learn by restarting.
:lol:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Take down missions are seriously absolute garbage. The damage you do is really, really inconsistent. You can T-Bone someone while boosting at 100+ mph and only do 10 - 20 damage, and then later rear end them at normal highway speeds and knock off a quarter or more of their health bar, if not total them outright.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Agreed, takedown missions are bullshit. I've taken cars out that still had 2/3 health with a small bump into the rear while I had 1/3rd health cars drive away from a full speed head-on. It's really incosistent and feels super random.

But I really enjoy just exploring the countryside and doing missions/challenges as I encounter them: even with the very arcade driving mechanics or maybe because of them.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Except they did this exact thing in the earlier Assassin's Creeds, where there was no microtransations?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Great Joe posted:

Tim Rogers stuff

That's great. Except the thing they are talking about is not linked in any way to crew credits and you can't speed it up at all iirc. It's basically a little bit of free money, in no way bound to any metric of actual game progress.

Also, to the people that were complaint about landing jumps and spinning out - try letting off the throttle when you land. Makes for a much more stable landing.

Also I don't think car level matters beyond any PVP stuff at the absolute top end. You can have all plat parts and be around 1100, or grind out all level 50 plat parts for level 1299 (that RNG on the plat parts level gets irritating), but faction missions etc scale to your car's level roughly, and there's no story mission which requires more than like 750 level I think, so unless you're pvping a bunch I'd say don't bother grinding out those 50 parts. If you do want to, jump skills are the quickest to repeat.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

AirRaid posted:

That's great. Except the thing they are talking about is not linked in any way to crew credits and you can't speed it up at all iirc. It's basically a little bit of free money, in no way bound to any metric of actual game progress.

You can't. It's basically just "dump perk points here for more money every so often"

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yay, beat the final story mission finally. I also ended up spending my spare cash on a Miura SV + Performance kit on it, holy gently caress that thing is fast. I've got all Plat parts and it just rips. It's actually almost as quick as my Circuit spec car :v:

Also, if anybody wants to just cruise around and discover stuff, i'm down for that now that I'm in the "Explore and do the rest of the sidemissions" phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
Woop woop, I got my level 50.
Now I'm basically trying to 100% that poo poo, but I haven't tried out PvP yet, I'll probably get into that between sessions of unlocking Platinum 50 parts.

If anyone is looking to add people to the uplay friend list for faction missions, I've got the same nick over there.

• Locked thread