Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

therattle posted:

Why not kill two birds with one stone and get a ramen pizza?

I can't even joke about this because it sounds so horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Rurutia posted:

I can't even joke about this because it sounds so horrible.

Just like Chicago pizza.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ramen pizza sounds more like the abomination of a sandwich known as Cincinnati chili.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

welp

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/09/ramen-crust-pizza-recipe.html

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just like Chicago pizza.

Why do you hate casserole?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I had a really good dinner at Avec last time I visited Chicago. Also a good Peking duck meal at Sun Wah Bar-B-Que. Next time I go, aside from the Grant Achatz spots, I'd like try Girl & the Goat and one of the Rick Bayless places.

For Saturday lunch hot dog and/or Italian beef from Portillo's.

Sunday breakfast/brunch at the Publican.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I loving knew somebody would have tried some abomination like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ramen pizza sounds more like the abomination of a sandwich known as Cincinnati chili.

You take that back you uncultured hillbilly.

Rurutia posted:

Help. I'm going to be in Chicago for dinner tonight, breakfast/lunch tomorrow, and breakfast Sunday. I want to cram as much awesome Chicago-ness in as possible, where should I go?

I have a rec for deep dish pizza, but what about ramen? I wish I was there for dinner Saturday night so I could try and grab Alinea tickets. :smith:

gently caress pizza or eat at Giordano's. If you're going to be downtown, keep the following in mind:

- Any Italian Beef place (e.g. Al's, Luke's, Portillo's)
- The best ramen downtown is in the Macy's food court. http://www.yelp.com/biz/noodles-by-takashi-yagihashi-chicago
- Sunny Side Up is the best brunch place in River North. It's at Superior and Wabash.
- Nobody eats at Alenia unless they've gotten tickets months in advance.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress pizza or eat at Giordano's. If you're going to be downtown, keep the following in mind:

- The best ramen downtown is in the Macy's food court. http://www.yelp.com/biz/noodles-by-takashi-yagihashi-chicago
- Sunny Side Up is the best brunch place in River North. It's at Superior and Wabash.

That's just a bowl of spaghetti. Cincinnati chili has a full pound of shredded cheese on top and you know it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I... I was running low. :blush:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Oh, also get ice cream at Jeni's.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks! Also to you mich.

At the airport so I'm not going to respond to everything (including the raven pizza atrocity wtf grav). But, just fyi, Alinea often has last minute seats up for grabs via Facebook and Twitter. But yes, I would've booked months in advance except the only real dinner I'm in town for is for a wedding.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Can't really see the difference between the different American pies/pizzas

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

God dammit Happy Hat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Can't really see the difference between the different American pies/pizzas

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles.html

I await your individual comments on every single variety listed there. Thanks HH!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sorry - but they all kinda look the same - except the one that is just bread.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

There same with this beans/no beans discussion - I've had both and they tasted somewhat the same

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Sorry - but they all kinda look the same - except the one that is just bread.

Well they are all indeed pizzas, just some are slightly different than others.

think of it like distinguishing spaghetti alla marinara from linguine alla puttanesca. theyre both long pastas with red sauces so to first looks they appear to be the same but they are both quite different.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Think more of it as distinguishing flammkuche, Riquewihr style with flammkuche from hexenheim.

Or distinguishing sour croute from the east from sauerkraut from the west of the Rhine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nice troll not knowing the difference between freedom loving West kraut and oppressed eastern commie cabbage.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles.html

I await your individual comments on every single variety listed there. Thanks HH!

Good
Good
Good
Acceptable
Acceptable
Garbage
Usually garbage with the occasional acceptable example
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Usually garbage with the occasional acceptable example
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Acceptable
Acceptable
Garbage
Garbage
Acceptable
Good but not a pizza

Hope this helps.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Serious Eats.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You take that back. I will end you. :sissies:

Also that cheddar isn't shred nearly fine enough in that example photo, Safety.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

But why??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Esme posted:

But why??
Mystery solved:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Kenji is the new Alton Brown.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

How do people lose rings? Just get one that fits and don't take it off.

Hey, mine fits, but always take my ring off when I stick my hands into bread dough / raw meats / hair products / sunscreen / makeup / soap / the shower / dry shampoo / hair dye / lotion / etc because I'm not a huge fan of cross-contamination.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

Hey, mine fits, but always take my ring off when I stick my hands into bread dough / raw meats / hair products / sunscreen / makeup / soap / the shower / dry shampoo / hair dye / lotion / etc because I'm not a huge fan of cross-contamination.

I was talking about people that take it off out of the house. Mine come off when I cook, but I can't lose them. They're in my house.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

I was talking about people that take it off out of the house. Mine come off when I cook, but I can't lose them. They're in my house.

That's the difference between you and me, I think. I just moved a few months ago and I've already lost a few things in our new house. (Where the HELL are my bright red skinny jeans, dammit?)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm not married but I wear a ring always and it never comes off. :shrug:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I'd never worn a ring before I got married. The band was always a bit loose but I liked it like that.. until it just slipped right off in the surf at Bondi Beach. Replaced it with the same thing but two sizes smaller. Now perfect.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I don't lose mine off my hand, but I'm terrified of losing them at work or around the house. I don't take them off because of this. If I'm hand mixing dough or something, I take them off and put them on top of my phone. Not a huge deal if my husband loses his - it's just a tungsten band. But mine are both custom made, the stone is a rare color, and my husband put a lot of effort into finding it and having it made.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lol, ok which one of you guys is this?

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I should probably never go on reddit ever.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2of6vg/chefs_of_reddit_whats_the_most_overrated_food/cmn0jrp

quote:

Sushi. I'm a sushi chef of 9 years by trade. It's still utterly and completely over-rated as a form of food. It's vinegared rice plus something and really no different than pasta plus something or bread plus something. And you're paying 400 to 1000 percent over cost to eat it. Supermarket sushi is your best bargain but fresh is best and it pays to shop around.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

A Jupiter posted:

never go on reddit ever.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

So uh

Tonight I drank a 1976 German Riesling. It said "Product of West Germany" on the label.

It was pretty good

That is all

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

So uh

Tonight I drank a 1976 German Riesling. It said "Product of West Germany" on the label.

It was pretty good

That is all

How was it? Dry? Off dry?

Please probate yourself now for drunk-posting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Did it get that neat gasoline thing going on? Serious question.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Does anyone have any tips for candy making? I'm trying to make toffee so that I can make hazelnut toffee blondies. It has to be dairy free, so instead of cream I am using coconut cream, and earth balance, and gobs of sugar. I burnt it last night, and I just made some again this morning. It started to smell burnt again so I pulled it off at 272 degrees instead of 300.

It will probably end up being more like caramel, and I'm not sure if it will taste burnt.

ASIDE FROM NOT USING DAIRY, what am I doing wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Uhh probably the dairy.

Candy making isn't like cooking where you can just swap out ingredients just based on flavor, it's much more dependent on specific chemical and physical behaviors of each ingredient.