Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coughing Hobo posted:

When you actually take Luca Blight down is one of my favorite moments in gaming. It takes three six-party battles with volleys of arrows inbetween and a one-on-one duel to actually kill that fucker. Dude was dangerous, and the game made it a point for you to understand that, even in victory.

He makes a point of reminding you how insignificant you are compared to him, even when he loses. God help the person who goes in to that having only ever used the same people up until that point like I did when I first played the game.

Also it wasn't until subsequent replays that I realized the fire emblems from the Knightdom trivialized the damage from several of his attacks, or you could use Fire Sealing runes to completely neutralize it. Plus I think his HP is saved between fights because if he beats the first two teams quickly he takes a goddamn eternity for Riou's team to beat.

corn in the bible posted:

If it manages to be worse than ff13 I'll eat my hat

I'd toxx you but past experiences on this forum show that people weasel out of hat-eating claims. :colbert:
(plus 13-2 is generally seen as better than 13)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do people that don't like 13 buy 13-2

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Honestly, because we love Final Fantasy and 13-2 has gotten decent reviews...and we want to believe it gets better.

Besides, mechanically, they are very different games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Help Im Alive posted:

You don't really need to know the plot of 13 to not understand the plot of 13-2, plus it "fixes" some of 13's flaws like linearity and what-not, plus it's significantly goofier than 13 which is nice considering how goofy the series is in general, even/especially when it tries not to be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

because I can always just return it like I did the first one

game is already better thanks to having a) jokes and b) fun music

also c) no crying child seriously hope please shut up

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Crying Children are tough.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I bought ff132 today

Good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your avatar gets more amazing by the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RadicalR posted:

:gonk: Holy cow. Luca is just insane. Talk about someone that wants to see the world burn.

Honestly I'm tired of bad guys being kinda lame and forgettable. I wanna conquer the world! Yeah you and everybody else.

This guy Luca may be cartoonishly evil, but at least he's going all-out. And I could see a sociopath acting that way anyways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Final Fantasy 13 2 is............ good

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Final Fantasy 13 2 is............ good

Woah, slow down, didn't you JUST get it, though? Most complaints I've heard is that the difficulty totally breaks a little ways in, rendering the battles boring. Also, the story apparently gets impressively stupid, but I doubt you're far enough in for that either.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Help Im Alive posted:

it has a jump button

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Your avatar gets more amazing by the day.

Thanks, Machai made it, it's great.

Schwartzcough posted:

Woah, slow down, didn't you JUST get it, though? Most complaints I've heard is that the difficulty totally breaks a little ways in, rendering the battles boring. Also, the story apparently gets impressively stupid, but I doubt you're far enough in for that either.

Are you really trying to convince someone he won't like a game you haven't even played? Really?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fronz posted:

Are you really trying to convince someone he won't like a game you haven't even played? Really?
look man i have read several posts on the something awful forum and they say final fantasy 13-2 is The Worst Game Ever Made

i get all my opinions second hand from goons

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

fronz posted:

it's cool. i've played it, I can confirm it's a bad video game.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I've played 13-2. It's pretty fun if you just don't think critically about the plot. I hated 13, wife bought 13-2 had a blast playing it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

fronz posted:

I'm not saying it is bad or that corn won't like it, but they posted their conclusion that it was A Good Game one hour after posting that they got it. I'm just pointing out that's a bit premature for an RPG that'll probably take 40+ hours, and that all the negative points cited against it don't come up in the first two hours.

I'm planning to pick up XIII-2 myself sooner or later, since I figure I might like it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I changed my mind

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I changed my mind

he got you :(

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I hate to say it but Hope's in 13-2. He's 21 and like a foot taller though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haha holy poo poo are there really SOLVE MY MAZE segments in ff13-2

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

haha holy poo poo are there really SOLVE MY MAZE segments in ff13-2

Uh how else did you expect to solve paradoxes

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I actually really enjoyed the puzzle segments in XIII-2 up until the clock one, that one I could understand but never fully wrap my head around.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is X-Box Live lagging/being ddosed? It's hung up on "checking downloadable content" then "downloading..." [what] then "News & Updates can not be accessed" in FF13-3. And the connection drops entirely occasionally

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Relin posted:

Is X-Box Live lagging/being ddosed? It's hung up on "checking downloadable content" then "downloading..." [what] then "News & Updates can not be accessed" in FF13-3. And the connection drops entirely occasionally

XBox Live is down, apparently Lizard Squad is taking credit.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

TARDISman posted:

I actually really enjoyed the puzzle segments in XIII-2 up until the clock one, that one I could understand but never fully wrap my head around.

The clocks are loving stupid but the Internet has a bunch of snazzy solvers so I don't need to think too hard.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The clocks are loving stupid but the Internet has a bunch of snazzy solvers so I don't need to think too hard.

Yeah, after about 10-15 minutes I just looked up one of those solvers, between that and the final dungeon I was really close to just dropping the game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Looper posted:

Do you have brain problems

It's a loving sled, who cares.

It's the kind of movie that critics and art students like to wank about but I could barely stay awake through it.

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, after about 10-15 minutes I just looked up one of those solvers, between that and the final dungeon I was really close to just dropping the game.

The final dungeon was fun if you knew in advance to do enough of the side quests to not be a complete sack of poo poo by the time you got there. I think I had all but two of the possible first run shards so while the difficulty spike was noticeable it wasn't brutal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
jesus loving christ

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's a loving sled, who cares.

It's the kind of movie that critics and art students like to wank about but I could barely stay awake through it.

Really? You didn't like a movie you didn't pay attention to? Tell me more about how stupid the movie is. :allears:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? You didn't like a movie you didn't pay attention to? Tell me more about how stupid the movie is. :allears:

Reading my comment literally without realizing that I'm being hyperbolic to make a point and then in the next breath trying to criticize my understanding, I just don't know what to say.

I paid attention, because some friend of mine told me how ~important~ it was... But it was, in my opinion, a terrible, boring slog. I had to stop and go back several times to watch stuff over again because I just didn't care about what happened, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that would make it click where I would realize what all the fuss is about. I'm one of those people who doesn't get much out of art for art's sake. I'm sure the movie's contributions to film as an art form were important, but the story it told was one that didn't interest me.

:shrug:

Seeing people get really worked up about how it was the best thing ever is pretty funny though.

Beyond that, it's not really relevant to this thread, so we should probably get this thing back on the rails.

Anyone seen any new trailers for XV? I'm hoping they'll have something at the upcoming playstation event.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 6, 2014

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
FF 13-2 is a very strange game in how reactionary it is to the criticisms leveled at its predecessor. Much of its design is heavily focused tested and tried to latch on to popular trends. The story was made less linear and more player driven. You had Mass Effect style dialogue choices that allowed the story to branch. Even the vocals in the Invisible Invaders track were removed from the NA/Europe release when journalists didn't like during e3. There was Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed costume DLC since Square-Enix is very focused on character design and believed costumes tie-ins would attract a broader audience.

As for the development itself, Eidos was brought int help to plan development milestones and avoid the development hell of the previous game. The playable build at e3 was actually the vertical slice they used internally as a template for the game. It's very strange for a developer who once pioneered the RPG genre and had tremendous creative freedom to lack so much confidence in developing their next game. Much of the changes come off as superficial and don't addressing the core issues many people had with FFXIII.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, but Flanitor..

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The boss fights are still tedious as gently caress, though. The stagger system is such a terrible concept, it turns every fight into a huge drag.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The final dungeon was fun if you knew in advance to do enough of the side quests to not be a complete sack of poo poo by the time you got there. I think I had all but two of the possible first run shards so while the difficulty spike was noticeable it wasn't brutal.

The battles themselves weren't bad, I just really didn't like the "SUDDENLY PLATFORMING TIME" part.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Final Fantasy Megathread: Citizen Kane is the worst game in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The boss fights are still tedious as gently caress, though. The stagger system is such a terrible concept, it turns every fight into a huge drag.

The stagger system is straight-up the best idea a FF combat system had in a long time. It actually helps with a lot of problems FF games traditionally have.

It helps cut down on the HP bloat that so many FF bosses have. FFXIII bosses have a lot of HP (although not more than other recent FF bosses) but they actually go down faster due to a combination of a faster combat system and the stagger system allowing higher damage numbers earlier on, at least if you're using it properly.

It also gives them a way to make status effects hit without just making the boss vulnerable to them, since Staggering changes a bosses elemental strengths and weaknesses and can be exploited to stick debuffs that you normally couldn't. Giving the players a goal to to work towards to allow incredibly powerful debuffs to hit is better than just making the enemy immune to them.

On top of that, Lightning Returns had a great idea for making staggering give enemies unique specific stagger effects and adding other ways to stagger them (such as a perfectly timed guard) which gives yet another option to the fight beyond "cast Fireaga until their HP be gone."

You can finish almost every boss fight in FFXIII in 5 minutes or less. People have done runs where they do most of them in 5-10 minutes without upgrading their characters at all. (And a few require upgrading their equipment but not their character levels.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 6, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The stagger system is straight-up the best idea a FF combat system had in a long time. It actually helps with a lot of problems FF games traditionally have.

It helps cut down on the HP bloat that so many FF bosses have. FFXIII bosses have a lot of HP (although not more than other recent FF bosses) but they actually go down faster due to a combination of a faster combat system and the stagger system allowing higher damage numbers earlier on, at least if you're using it properly.

It also gives them a way to make status effects hit without just making the boss vulnerable to them, since Staggering changes a bosses elemental strengths and weaknesses and can be exploited to stick debuffs that you normally couldn't. Giving the players a goal to to work towards to allow incredibly powerful debuffs to hit is better than just making the enemy immune to them.

On top of that, Lightning Returns had a great idea for making staggering give enemies unique specific stagger effects and adding other ways to stagger them (such as a perfectly timed guard) which gives yet another option to the fight beyond "cast Fireaga until their HP be gone."

You can finish almost every boss fight in FFXIII in 5 minutes or less. People have done runs where they do most of them in 5-10 minutes without upgrading their characters at all. (And a few require upgrading their equipment but not their character levels.)

On the other hand, it means earlier bosses are all identical because you just cast magic until they stagger and then hit them a bunch. For examples see the big flan boss in ff13-2 which can barely hurt you but still is boring to actually fight.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Get Innocuous! posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Citizen Kane is the worst game in the series.

Mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just give FF16 Bravely Default's combat system, thanks.

e: Funny, writing out FF15 doesn't seem too bad, but FF16 seems like a fuckton.