Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
despite what the warrior brigade, social division tries to tell everyone if you are in a position to get shot by the police you have hosed up really, really, really bad several times in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

or happen to be within 40yds of an NYPD officer

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

despite what the warrior brigade, social division tries to tell everyone if you are in a position to get shot by the police you have hosed up really, really, really bad several times in a row

haha but those guys own, their stories are all some variation of 'a cop pulled me up for doing something illegal and gave me a ticket/arrested me gently caress THE POLICE'

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

poo poo, man. Someone go tell that to Amadou Diallo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

haha but those guys own, their stories are all some variation of 'a cop pulled me up for doing something illegal and gave me a ticket/arrested me gently caress THE POLICE'

"as a black man, every interaction i've had with the police has involved a gun pressed against my head"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

here's my cop story
i did something really loving dumb one night
they picked me up for it
i admitted i was being a complete retard
they charged me
i paid my fine
i'm happy they picked me up rather than leaving me doing something potentially dangerous
i also have several friends on the police force

so, uh

yay cops?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

"as a black man, every interaction i've had with the police has involved a gun pressed against my head"
The kindergarten Q&A with a police officer, gun against my head. #handsupdontshoot #fingerpainting

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The issue is that what puts you into the get shot zone as a black guy seems to be well below the get shot zone as a white guy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtx1tYc7PxI

Or you're complying with his instructions during a routine traffic stop.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One time I was doing 78 in a 65. The cop who pulled me over made me a smore and gave me a blowjob. Actually I had to pay a $200 fine #crimingwhilewhite

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

The kindergarten Q&A with a police officer, gun against my head. #handsupdontshoot #fingerpainting

You laugh...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

im sure the cops get real tired going out to this kids suicidal threat calls

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

or happen to be within 40yds of an NYPD officer

Being kind of generous there.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Didn't that dude get fired and charged?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Bolow posted:

Didn't that dude get fired and charged?

Sure did. There's a link in the youtube description.

Or you can search his name from there and get the current info, which isn't much different.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Best Friends posted:

The issue is that what puts you into the get shot zone as a black guy seems to be well below the get shot zone as a white guy.

Pretty much

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/steve-lohner-shotgun-aurora

Then again you see a rosy-cheeked human being like that it's hard to find him a threat with anything short of a pipebomb

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Pretend I posted a link to the guy in Las Vegas who got shot to death in Costco after being given two conflicting directions by cops.

Of course that's Las Vegas Metro and they cap someone (usually unarmed) at least once a week without any repercussions or investigation or accountability so yeah.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

To be totally fair, losing a fistfight while armed without backup can literally be the end of your life, so in the absence of any other context that sort of use of force is not terrible unreasonable.

Shouldn't they work to stay out of those situations in the first place? The part where they are losing a fistfight alone. That's not very smart policing unless there's something I'm missing even if someone is breaking the law.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
"He ran away and nobody else had shown up yet so I let him go, don't want to risk getting in a fight with a suspect."

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Richard Bong posted:

"He ran away and nobody else had shown up yet so I let him go, don't want to risk getting in a fight with a suspect."

"I am.. the law?"

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

He was probably guilty anyway

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

lightpole posted:

Shouldn't they work to stay out of those situations in the first place? The part where they are losing a fistfight alone. That's not very smart policing unless there's something I'm missing even if someone is breaking the law.

Increase police funding for training and hiring. Raise hiring standards (bust the PD's that don't want 'intelligent recruit' because they might think), increase the number of officers so no officer is patrolling alone, add funding for lapel cameras, add funding for more training and additional cops so that there isn't holes in the duty roster while other police officers are training...

Oh, wait, that means raising taxes and might actually work!

DISMANTLE THE POLICE FORCE! ANARCHY IS THE NATURAL STATE!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Richard Bong posted:

"I was getting my rear end kicked so I shot him"

Edit:I understand letting him go sounds stupid but when you reach "Gee golly I sure am in a pickle I guess I better shoot him" I think you might want better planning but I really don't know so was wondering if that's really how things are done.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 6, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

50 Foot Ant posted:

Increase police funding for training and hiring. Raise hiring standards (bust the PD's that don't want 'intelligent recruit' because they might think), increase the number of officers so no officer is patrolling alone, add funding for lapel cameras, add funding for more training and additional cops so that there isn't holes in the duty roster while other police officers are training...

DISMANTLE THE POLICE FORCE! ANARCHY IS THE NATURAL STATE!

I really need to stop looking at the Tea Party's facebook but a while ago they were unironically calling for the abolishment of the IRS. I don't even know what to say at that point.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30358665

So couple of days ago it was revealed that about a month ago, SF attempted to rescue Luke Somers from AQAP but he wasn't in the apparent location. Instead some Yemeni and Saudi Arabian hostages were rescued.

Well there was a second attempt last night, and the intel was good but it didn't end in a success (aside from killing a number of militants)...it also resulted in the death of South African hostage, Pierre Korkie, who was apparently due to be released today. Whether AQAP actually planned to release him who knows, but if they did god drat he was unlucky...don't think anyone can actually blame the SF for attempting the rescue though :smith:

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

lightpole posted:

I'd say solo policing is dumb beyond measure and all this could easily have been avoided by always being in pairs or more, but someone would just post a video of that fat guy getting strangled on the sidewalk for selling lose cigarettes. :smith:

quote:

don't think anyone can actually blame the SF for attempting the rescue though

Don't be silly, of course they will. And probably accuse them of having put the bullet in the journalists head themselves.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 6, 2014

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Courthouse posted:

I'd say solo policing is dumb beyond measure and all this could easily have been avoided by always being in pairs or more, but someone would just post a video of that fat guy getting strangled on the sidewalk for selling lose cigarettes. :smith:

Don't be silly, of course they will. And probably accuse them of having put the bullet in the journalists head themselves.

Safe to say the proud warrior peoples of Yemen taught him too much about the evils of Obama's drone warfare, and for national security, he had to go.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

50 Foot Ant posted:

The actual reason nothing gets done in this country.

"I want all the trappings of civil society but I don't want to pay for it."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Wanna talk about wasteful spending?

Remember the furloughs? We couldn't pay DOD employees but at Ft Gordon we had freshly cut grass.

Three times a week.

In the winter.

But our hospital was half staffed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shut up, cole.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

orange juche posted:

Shut up, cole.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Actually that was a Good Post by Cole :shrug:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

old habits die hard

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Cole's only good posts involve dogs. :shrug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cole posted:

Wanna talk about wasteful spending?

Waroduce posted:

1.6$B to train and equip Iraqi forces (lol)
Compromise language allows Obama to arm and train Syrian rebels (lolx2, remember this debate 3 years ago)

Also authroized is a new "flexible 1.3b counter terrorism :I: partnership :/i: fund " deisgned to support US allies operations and efforts to make countries allies more potent in CT operations in ME and Africa

Iron-Dome gets $350m, 175m more than requested

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also this.

I was going to try and quote it but then I realized that I couldn't really because the entire article is just a bunch of pull quotes/summaries from all the SIGAR reports detailing the massive amount of money that has literally been wasted in Afghanistan...not wasted as in "yeah this whole war was poorly executed and completely pointless therefore money spent in fighting it was a waste," wasted as in "yeah we built this $36M ops center that was never used and no one knows why it got built, then we spent tens of millions of dollars on incinerators that we didn't use so they sit next to burn pits, then we spent $800M on shiny new PC-12s that the Afghans can't fly and can't maintain, then we spent half a billion dollars on old decrepit transport planes, scrapped them for 6 cents on the pound (about $30K) because they were old and decrepit and were therefore maintenance pigs with no spare parts that could never be flown, so in their place we spent another $80M on slightly less old and decrepit transport planes...that also can't ever be flown because of logistics support issues, then we spent about a billion dollars in guns, ammo, and spare parts but didn't bother to set up a system to track any of it, and then we spent about a billion and a half dollars on fuel but don't know how any of it is used."

The amount of money that has literally been wasted in Afghanistan is obscene.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Wasn't there a C-130 full of pallets of money that disappeared or something.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Equine Don posted:

I feel like that was in Iraq but I could completely believe it happening in Afghanistan too.

fake edit: Yeah it was Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Equine Don posted:

Yeah, but I think it was Iraq. I really dont remember the particulars but I think it vanished off the tarmac of an airport.
Idk im sure someone here can fill in

E: beaten

• Locked thread