Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zarkov Cortez posted:

In the Gmail app for android how do you change the background and the account icons?

The icon is probably the same as the user/account icon on Lollipop: enable Contact Sync in Google+.

The background is definitely your Google+ header background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there some setting I am missing? Calendar keeps adding notifications to events even though I've removed them.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If you're on a shared data plan, My Data Manager just updated a few days ago with the ability to create and join shared plans. If you're the one monitoring data usage on your plan, it's a life saver. It's cross platform, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is Google navigation as borked for everyone else as it is for me? A year+ ago it worked great, but now every time I use it in Vancouver (not often) it is almost always wrong if it can even find a GPS signal. Today I almost got a ticket because a pair of cops pulled up beside me as I was trying to find out why it wasn't saying anything at a red light (you can't touch your phone at all here, moving or not)

When it does find GPS, it frequently gives me the wrong direction (left instead of right) and just now it said my destination was on the right after I drove past it and went onto a side street to find parking. It always recommends the slowest arterial over much faster routes, too, apparently confused by Vancouver proper's lack of actual highways. It's to the point where I need to buy a standalone GPS, which is silly based on how often I need it.

Gps/maps work great when I'm not driving, and it used to work great on this phone (note 3).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Install GPS Test and see if you're getting a good signal. I found a thread where a guy was complaining that he couldn't pick up GLONASS satellites on his S4 after upgrading to Kit Kat. GPS doesn't work well at more northern latitudes so it's possible GLONASS worked before the update and doesn't now.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
What's the best podcast thing? I'd rather pay for a really good one than go through loads of crap free ones. Thank you!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What's the best podcast thing? I'd rather pay for a really good one than go through loads of crap free ones. Thank you!

Pocket casts

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Beyondpod or Pocket Casts.

Why the hell is this not in the thread title yet?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

YouTube got its material design update. It's alright.

Download here http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-6-0-11-apk/

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Beyondpod or Pocket Casts.

Why the hell is this not in the thread title yet?

It's Pocket casts, and yes it should be in the title.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Tunga posted:

The icon is probably the same as the user/account icon on Lollipop: enable Contact Sync in Google+.

The background is definitely your Google+ header background.

It isn't :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've never had luck with Google using current images for my stuff. Gmail still uses an old image for my account that I used years ago. I've used 2 others since then, but it refuses to update.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kheldarn posted:

I've never had luck with Google using current images for my stuff. Gmail still uses an old image for my account that I used years ago. I've used 2 others since then, but it refuses to update.

What picture is on your "me" contact in gmail?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

Install GPS Test and see if you're getting a good signal. I found a thread where a guy was complaining that he couldn't pick up GLONASS satellites on his S4 after upgrading to Kit Kat. GPS doesn't work well at more northern latitudes so it's possible GLONASS worked before the update and doesn't now.

It shows this but I don't know what this means

Like if I look at Google Maps it's always bang on within about 10 feet. It knows where I work, it knows where I live, it knows where my wife works. But navigation is useless even though we've got a basic modern city street grid here and I rarely go higher than 50km/30mph (constant urban gridlock).

I can get 50Mbps down on LTE, wifi is everywhere, we're a typical high tech west coast city like Seattle and San Francisco, not the northern hinterlands.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I bet we're still going to get people asking about which podcast client to use.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Sure we will, but at least we can make fun of them for not reading the thread title.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Can anyone recommend an app to manage my apps better ie disallow certain ones from connecting to internet etc. My old Huawei had this in-built & it was super handy.

And what's the current favourite sms/txt reading app? Current one is super ugly...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Thermopyle posted:

Speaking of, BeyondPod just introduced a dark theme and variable card sizes in their 4.1 beta~

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Which one, Thermopyle? How do I choose

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hoplosternum posted:

Can anyone recommend an app to manage my apps better ie disallow certain ones from connecting to internet etc. My old Huawei had this in-built & it was super handy.

And what's the current favourite sms/txt reading app? Current one is super ugly...
I've tried blocking apps from data with Mobiwol but that tends to make them misbehave sometimes. For SMS I use GoSMS but I installed a theme over the default one, so maybe you will find one you like.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

It seems like there was another podcast app a couple people mentioned last time we talked about it...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Is Google navigation as borked for everyone else as it is for me? A year+ ago it worked great, but now every time I use it in Vancouver (not often) it is almost always wrong if it can even find a GPS signal. Today I almost got a ticket because a pair of cops pulled up beside me as I was trying to find out why it wasn't saying anything at a red light (you can't touch your phone at all here, moving or not)

When it does find GPS, it frequently gives me the wrong direction (left instead of right) and just now it said my destination was on the right after I drove past it and went onto a side street to find parking. It always recommends the slowest arterial over much faster routes, too, apparently confused by Vancouver proper's lack of actual highways. It's to the point where I need to buy a standalone GPS, which is silly based on how often I need it.

Gps/maps work great when I'm not driving, and it used to work great on this phone (note 3).

I have the same problem. No matter where I am or how strong my data/gps/cell signal is, Google Navigation constantly thinks I'm facing in totally random directions that I'm not, fails to actually update my position ever, and so on. I start it up, head down the freeway, and 45 minutes later my phone is still showing me on the roof of my house (Navigation very rarely shows me as being on an actual road ever these days).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It seems like there was another podcast app a couple people mentioned last time we talked about it...

Podcast Addict. I might have liked it more than Pocket Casts, but not quite as much as BeyondPod (although even that might have just been me being stubborn).

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got access to another android device (maybe if someone else is riding with you on a trip?). Maybe try running google maps nav simultaneously on both phones and see if you get the same bad results on both; this'd let you at least determine if there's something especially wrong with your device's GPS.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Reverse Centaur posted:

It shows this but I don't know what this means

Like if I look at Google Maps it's always bang on within about 10 feet. It knows where I work, it knows where I live, it knows where my wife works. But navigation is useless even though we've got a basic modern city street grid here and I rarely go higher than 50km/30mph (constant urban gridlock).

I can get 50Mbps down on LTE, wifi is everywhere, we're a typical high tech west coast city like Seattle and San Francisco, not the northern hinterlands.

Sorry, skipped over this. That says that there's 20 GPS satellites in view, 0 being used, and no location fix. How long did you leave that screen up, and were you outside? If you're outside and not getting a decent fix in a few minutes (at most) then your GPS is busted somehow. (This doesn't entirely gel with google maps being bang-on in non-navigation cases though, so it's still a bit strange)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay, well mine takes my G+ image so it's classic Google :iiam: :shrug: .

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dazjw posted:

Sorry, skipped over this. That says that there's 20 GPS satellites in view, 0 being used, and no location fix. How long did you leave that screen up, and were you outside? If you're outside and not getting a decent fix in a few minutes (at most) then your GPS is busted somehow. (This doesn't entirely gel with google maps being bang-on in non-navigation cases though, so it's still a bit strange)
Yes, that's completely broken GPS. That's not to say you can't get pretty good location data from wifi scanning and cell networks but navigation will behave just like the Galaxy/Nexus S or G2x--not at all.

Tunga posted:

Okay, well mine takes my G+ image so it's classic Google :iiam: :shrug: .
It works for me and everyone I know but I don't know anyone with multiple accounts.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm pretty sure Note 3s have a GPS issue if you Google around. I used to have good luck after pressing the clear and update AGPS buttons in the GPS Test app and letting it regain signal, but now my Note 3 is almost unuseable for GPS. Too bad, because it's a great phone otherwise.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So when will I be able to define groups of subscriptions in the YouTube app like I have on the web?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I'm going to download all three of the top goon approved podcast apps and listen to the same podcast in all three apps simultaneously and see which one is better. I hope it's Pocket Casts!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beerinator posted:

I'm going to download all three of the top goon approved podcast apps and listen to the same podcast in all three apps simultaneously and see which one is better. I hope it's Pocket Casts!
I hope it's Pocket Casts too, I just love that app. I've actually shifted to using the web player about half the time and while I've got some complaints for $9, I'm glad to have supported the developers.

I have to admit, I think the new BeyondPod update looks really nice and I'd love to see if the Material Design animations work well. Of course I'm sure we'll see Shifty Jelly's approach soon enough.

Podcast Addict though is some ugly UI design. I don't know if it's old-BeyondPod-ugly, but it's close.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I really like pocket casts, but I still can't get it to give me a playlist of all unlistened-to episodes starting with oldest first disregarding whether it's downloaded or not.

This isn't to say it's impossible, but drat it's difficult to figure out how to do it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Are there any good apps out there that give a game in the same general vein as say Sim City, Theme Hospital, Roller Coast tycoon, ect. And yeah I know of things like Disco Zoo or Tiny Tower which kind of builds off of Sim Tower, but I want something nerdier than that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I really like pocket casts, but I still can't get it to give me a playlist of all unlistened-to episodes starting with oldest first disregarding whether it's downloaded or not.

This isn't to say it's impossible, but drat it's difficult to figure out how to do it.

Yeah, if I understand you right this has been my #1 gripe ever since they added the queue thing. I have a playlist that all new episodes get dumped into, but the queue doesn't get updated, so I periodically have to re-do the "play all from here" action.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amused to Death posted:

Are there any good apps out there that give a game in the same general vein as say Sim City, Theme Hospital, Roller Coast tycoon, ect. And yeah I know of things like Disco Zoo or Tiny Tower which kind of builds off of Sim Tower, but I want something nerdier than that.
This question comes up fairly often and the answer is: not really.

There are some IAP-ridden versions of RCT and Theme Park available, I've not tried either because they look horrible.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Jumping back to the Google maps chat, I was driving somewhere in downtown Milwaukee last night with my brother and his gf. I had maps up on my phone (N5 lollipop) and it completely went crazy and stopped working, so my brother (M8 KitKat) opened his and it was just as bad. His gf opened apple maps on her 6 and it worked flawlessly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to set a custom account icon for non-Google accounts in Gmail under 5.0? I've got an IMAP account and a Hotmail account and I'd rather have a photo at least on the IMAP account instead of the "first letter of the account username in a circle" bullshit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

So this is loving fantastic. I was playing a game on my phone and got a call on my Google Voice number through Hangouts, and I couldn't answer the goddamn phone. WTF?!

Edit: It seems the entire Hangouts dialer is being flaky. Since I switched to it a few months ago, I haven't had any problems using touch-tone phone trees, but now it isn't getting detected.

And just now I called someone and they couldn't hear me. Is there some way to get help from Google with this?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

beerinator posted:

This once and for all solution attitude is not what people are looking for! They all prefer to rewind the conversation back to the very "what is the best podcast app" beginning as often as three times per page.

Still happy with Pocket Casts, longer than any other podcast client including iTunes.

nerve posted:

Jumping back to the Google maps chat, I was driving somewhere in downtown Milwaukee last night with my brother and his gf. I had maps up on my phone (N5 lollipop) and it completely went crazy and stopped working, so my brother (M8 KitKat) opened his and it was just as bad. His gf opened apple maps on her 6 and it worked flawlessly.

Kind of hard to say what this was but I've moved away from Google Maps for Navigation some time ago, the interface seemed counterintuitive and it took too many steps to actually start driving. I moved to CoPilot (pros: works offline so very good when you travel internationally and don't have cell service, sensible guidance, car/bike/rv/walk instructions. Cons: searching not as good as Google's, programming addresses feels strange sometimes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Heners_UK posted:

Kind of hard to say what this was but I've moved away from Google Maps for Navigation some time ago, the interface seemed counterintuitive and it took too many steps to actually start driving. I moved to CoPilot (pros: works offline so very good when you travel internationally and don't have cell service, sensible guidance, car/bike/rv/walk instructions. Cons: searching not as good as Google's, programming addresses feels strange sometimes).

I'll give it a try, thanks

• Locked thread