Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Drakes posted:

I've always wonder about this, people mention steam gets a cut of like 30% from most indie games or something. But how are sales distributed when you get a steam key from a site like GMG?

From what I understand, Valve charges $0.00 per Steam key. As far as they're concerned, getting people to install the Steam client is payment enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. Is Blackguards worth the 10 bucks? It looks pretty fun, kinda like FFT.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

The Dregs posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. Is Blackguards worth the 10 bucks? It looks pretty fun, kinda like FFT.

No, it's pretty soulless and the combat is not particularly engaging. There are better options for turn-based tactical RPG combat.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

bonds0097 posted:

No, it's pretty soulless and the combat is not particularly engaging. There are better options for turn-based tactical RPG combat.

What are these better options?

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

The Dregs posted:

XCOM, Banner Saga?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have XCOM, it is great. Banner Saga was horrible but pretty when I tried the beta. Thanks!

(edit) Didn't even notice Blackguards had a demo. I can decide for myself.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 6, 2014

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The Dregs posted:

Well, the new Space Hulk is good, if that tickles your fancy.

There's also Valkyrie Chronicles.

Invisible Inc. is shaping up quite nicely but it's still in Early Access.

Expeditions: Conquistador is also fun and its aesthetic is a bit more similar to Blackguards.

Divinity: Original Sin has a fantastic combat system and is a much better game than Blackguards, but the writing is hit or miss.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Dregs posted:

It's only tangentially related to srpgs, but Frozen Synapse is goddamned AMAZING. Also, Doorkickers apparently has been getting really good press, and I had passed over it at first but may pick it up if it hits a sale during CHristmas.

Wasteland 2 is actually a pretty solid A (as opposed to AAA) srpg game a la Fallout style business. I, of course, second very heartily the recommendations for Expeditions: Conquistadors. That game is REALLY great. Skulls of the Shogun is pretty cool, and really cute, and is simple but challenging.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Dregs posted:

Elven Legacy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe a goon has an extra Blackguards key to give away. I believe it was just in a Humble Bundle, so somebody probably picked it up on the cheap and hasn't redeemed the key yet.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

how me a frog posted:

You're exaggerating a lot. It's an OK game, nothing more. If they had made the exact same game except with all anime girl characters y'all would have torn it to shreds. Nostalgia is a funny thing...

Yeah, I'll never understand the whole mystique around "old-school" platformers, and I grew up playing them. Mega Man and its sequels were/are pretty great but gently caress paying $15 (let alone $60) for a game that could run on 20 year old hardware.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A few seemingly interesting new releases:

Bombing Bastards - a Bomberman clone with a campaign and online and local multiplayer.

Adventurer Manager - turn based combat combined with an actual manager in sweet retro graphics.

Insanity's Blade - a really retro looking platformer/action game with rpg elements.

Ultraworld - another walking simulator where you explore a strange world but the graphics look kinda neat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Yeah, I'll never understand the whole mystique around "old-school" platformers, and I grew up playing them. Mega Man and its sequels were/are pretty great but gently caress paying $15 (let alone $60) for a game that could run on 20 year old hardware.

Yeah, I mean who would pay more than $15 for a game that could run on 20 year old hardware...

Oh. Ohhhhhh... :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I mean who would pay more than $15 for a game that could run on 20 year old hardware...

It takes a special kind of sperg.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

The Dregs posted:

I'll echo the excellent Expeditions and add Battle for Wesnoth too. Probably the best free fantasy TBS around, and it's better than a lot of paid games. They should totally go the ToME route and get on Steam.

But yeah, there's nothing really like FFT besides that Agarest thing. :V

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Palpek posted:

Insanity's Blade - a really retro looking platformer/action game with rpg elements.

I'm watching a video of this and it looks amazing. I love when new small developers get retro action games right. Plus this has a lot of silly-extreme poo poo that you probably wouldn't have seen in a game that appears this "serious" on the surface, like riding a zombie corpse down a hill like a sled.

And gameplay-wise it looks like a nice combination of Castlevania and Golden Axe (or Altered Beast or insert-Sega-arcade-beat-em-up-here).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Also, Sunrider is REALLY surprisingly solid. It plays more like a strategy board game, combat-wise, but is still honestly fun as gently caress once you understand stuff.

It's a pretty good game overall, too. Free, as well. Just pretend the anime girls are space elves or something if you're bothered by cartoon people.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 6, 2014

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, my spending money this weekend is 10 bucks, so Expediaitions will have to wait. I'm gonna check out these free options though!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

It's only tangentially related to srpgs, but Frozen Synapse is goddamned AMAZING. Also, Doorkickers apparently has been getting really good press, and I had passed over it at first but may pick it up if it hits a sale during CHristmas.

Wasteland 2 is actually a pretty solid A (as opposed to AAA) srpg game a la Fallout style business. I, of course, second very heartily the recommendations for Expeditions: Conquistadors. That game is REALLY great. Skulls of the Shogun is pretty cool, and really cute, and is simple but challenging.

FYI, Door Kickers is awesome. And they keep updating it, just added a new campaign.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Shovel Knight is priced at 11,89€ on GOG instead of 15€(=15$) of Steam :aaaaa:
Seeing that the dev team isn't really keen on discounting it during christmas sales I think this might count as a 20% off bonus for us poor Eurogoons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best Retro Platformer is Bionic Commando Rearmed, which realized there's more to 'old school' than pixel graphics, and managed to make a properly retro platformer that looks stunning.

Has an amazing soundtrack too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtHTroVWPM

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Anyone looking for a good strategy RPG who has not already bought Valkyria Chronicles should buy Valkyria Chronicles. Do it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Shovel Knight doesn't have any problems being controlled with M + KB, right? I mean, I don't think it should, since the OC's been doing platforms since I was a kid, but there's no harm in asking. I reached the final boss of Giana Sisters with M + KB, and that platformer can be hard too.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

King Vidiot posted:

Oh. Ohhhhhh... :smith:

It's almost as though that cartridge's value is artificially inflated by its scarcity or something, a problem that a digitally distributed game like Shovel Knight doesn't have. v:shobon:v

But yeah, video games are a multi-sensory medium, and visuals do matter despite what the "it's all about the gameplay" crowd says. Indie games are coming out at the $15 price point with some pretty stunning modern 3D graphics nowadays, and even 2D pixel games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth have stuff like dynamic lighting and the ability to show dozens of moving sprites on the screen at once. Charging $15 for a game with basic pixel graphics is just lazy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Along similar lines can someone explain the hype for Hyper Light Drifter? Everything I read waffles on about how it's totally inspired by Zelda, interviews with the developers are basically long lists of their influences, etc etc etc. Ton of farty pretentious respect-the-arts crap but nothing that actually tells me a goddamn thing about the gameplay.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I didn't pledge for the beta tier so I haven't played yet, but basically a slightly faster paced SNES action-adventure-RPG(Think Secret of Mana/Link to the Past) type of thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Are you really loving serious.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Shovel Knight doesn't have any problems being controlled with M + KB, right? I mean, I don't think it should, since the OC's been doing platforms since I was a kid, but there's no harm in asking. I reached the final boss of Giana Sisters with M + KB, and that platformer can be hard too.
I played through the entire game with keyboard controls and it was fine.

It's almost as though that cartridge's value is artificially inflated by its scarcity or something, a problem that a digitally distributed game like Shovel Knight doesn't have. v:shobon:v

But yeah, video games are a multi-sensory medium, and visuals do matter despite what the "it's all about the gameplay" crowd says. Indie games are coming out at the $15 price point with some pretty stunning modern 3D graphics nowadays, and even 2D pixel games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth have stuff like dynamic lighting and the ability to show dozens of moving sprites on the screen at once. Charging $15 for a game with basic pixel graphics is just lazy.
OTOH, the graphics look cool and it's a good game easily worth $15.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GhostDog posted:

Haven't played it myself, but didn't Alice Madness Returns get good reviews?
It's terrible.

Maybe it also has to do with the lack of 3D platformers in general nowadays, since Mario 3D World was the only real one to come out in the last couple of years, but I can't imagine interest completely died for the genre, just that publishers started chasing the big money and double-A budget games completely vanished.

We've gone from being completely oversaturated (that one year with Blinx the Time Sweeper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Tak & Power of Juju, etc) to completely barren.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I swear to god goons piss me off.

gently caress yeah

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
It seems like solid 3D platforming is still beyond the scope a smallish team can accomplish with the tools available right now. The Last Tinker was the last game I got excited about in that regard, and it was a stuttery mess. I hope one day indies and smaller teams can revitalize games in the vein of Jak and Daxter like they have 2D platformers.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can I assume that Shadows of Mordor is going to be cheaper than its current 33 percent off price point at some point during the inevitable Winter Sale?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Steam user Batman Scoop whom, I know is a goon, but I am not sure if their Steam name is anything like their SA name, has gifted me with Blackguards. He then went on to gift me a couple more games on my wishlist, Hammerwatch and Expeditions: Conquistador.

He's loving awesome. I was broke this weekend and didnt have much to do. Now I have more video games than I can even play.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Can I assume that Shadows of Mordor is going to be cheaper than its current 33 percent off price point at some point during the inevitable Winter Sale?

It was like 25 bucks or so this sale so I wouldn't be surprised if it got a bit lower for Winter Sale. Alot of places, not just Steam had it for a pretty low price. Hell with GMG you could technically got it for 20 bucks with a combined coupon so yeah there is possibility of it being lowered.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This just sounds bratty to me. The gently caress are people spending so much money on in their lives that 5 bucks one way or the other is this important to them.

$15 is an exceptionally low launch price for a game.

I have never, never, never, never spent money on a game thinking "Okay, I'd better get $15 worth of graphics out of this game"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

This game looks kinda neat but unfortunately it's not a True 3D Platformer because it handles all of its platforming via a free run button ala Assassin's Creed: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260160/?snr=1_620_4__46
I like how one of the devs is trying to say that just because it's "inspired by" classic platformers doesn't mean that it has the same gameplay, and that it was everyone else who labeled it a platformer.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/260160/discussions/0/540744937090601089/

quote:

Still waiting for a good 3D platformer post-Psychonauts. This has to be the longest drought of any genre on PC.

I think we just have to accept that we're never going to see decent 3D collectathon platformers on the PC. Nobody seems to want to make them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think we just have to accept that we're never going to see decent 3D collectathon platformers on the PC. Nobody seems to want to make them.

I seem to remember reading about Michel Ancel talking about the possiblity of making another 3D rayman game after the success with Origins and Legends, but I can't seem to find the interview right now.

Maybe I just dreamed it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

This just sounds bratty to me. The gently caress are people spending so much money on in their lives that 5 bucks one way or the other is this important to them.

$80 worth of in-app purchases for their $1 mobile games…

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

$15 is an exceptionally low launch price for a game.

I have never, never, never, never spent money on a game thinking "Okay, I'd better get $15 worth of graphics out of this game"

The Christmas sale is only a few short weeks away and then we'll get to see people bitterly complaining that a game is on sale for $14 and not $12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Randler posted:

It was 20 on amazon so it may hit that again if they run Christmas sales. Nuuvem has it for around there as well if you don't want to wait

• Locked thread