Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

I think she's supposed to be doing the "I have my eyes on you" gesture, as made famous by Robert De Niro in Meet the Parents.

I didn't even think of what that particular hand configuration would mean to a British reader, and clearly neither did Brooke.

I think you're right and then right again. I was taught that gesture by a member of the Commonwealth so it was right where I went. I didn't even consider "eyes on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Hey, new story. That was sudden.

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

I am an adult man who likes to think himself open-minded and progressive and all that but I have no idea why the sight of a bra in this comic strip made me want to write a letter to the editor complaining about it :psyduck:

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 10-11, 1926)

Now this is neat. The man's changing out the carbon in an arc light, and you can even see the rope tied to the pole they had to lower the thing.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Tom the Dancing Bug - it's almost like humor.

Pickles is good today.

So is Bleeker. The day is good.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

don Jaime posted:

So is Bleeker. The day is good.

Nice to see Bleeker not having an aneurysm over something not being perfect.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Welcome to Falling Rock National Park

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay, while up to now it was kind of iffy on whether Gunther was in the right or not (all the other characters being okay with Mr. Grey and stuff seemed like it might be implying that he's overreacting), but the imagery of this comic is explicitly "it is terrible and bad that Gunther is now doing exactly what he thought he would be doing when he went to Peru, and he is right to be upset about it". gently caress this comic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Okay, newspaper, we get it. But give us something useful in this century, like holiday shipping days from Amazon!

Skippy (October 1, 1927)

Peanuts (December 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1926)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Heavenly Nostrils

9 Chickweed Lane 12/6/2003

No, dorks.

Zita

They're in maintenance right now. I'll check back later.

Kevin & Kell

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I hate when comics try to make an "observation" of a trend that doesn't exist. I only mention this because my local PBS affiliate is in the middle of a pledge drive so last night they played a concert by this super obscure, totally inaccessible artist named "Bruce Springsteen." I mean, you've probably never heard of him.

(Also, I don't get the punchline to this at all. What the hell is "Southside Yanni" a reference to?)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Vargo posted:

I hate when comics try to make an "observation" of a trend that doesn't exist. I only mention this because my local PBS affiliate is in the middle of a pledge drive so last night they played a concert by this super obscure, totally inaccessible artist named "Bruce Springsteen." I mean, you've probably never heard of him.

(Also, I don't get the punchline to this at all. What the hell is "Southside Yanni" a reference to?)

It's a dumb reference to Southside Johnny. Yanni is a regular denizen of most PBS station's programming. He plays a kind of a piano sort of pablum that, for some reason, appeals to late middle age PBSers.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lb3MTlIrC4

The comparisons are really getting too much to ignore. I think Rocky 4 legit stole this plot for Russia and the USA to use their respective boxing champions to wage Assault by Proxy

Pooch Café

Ballard Street

The perfect murder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is...yeah I got nothing.

Working Daze is timely.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

:allears:

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jesus Christ this comic gets worse and worse.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, Emmy Lou and her friend have to be a couple at this point.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

:allears:
He's sprouted a second head out of the top of his head in the last panel there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

And that boy was Stephan Pastis.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Please don't stop posting these.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This actually seems worse. Do you want your daughter hanging around some guy that the mob wants dead?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is it just me, or is the print in Prince Valiant really faint and hard to read lately?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Is it just me, or is the print in Prince Valiant really faint and hard to read lately?

It might be how your browser is scaling the picture. Those scans are huge. Try opening the image in a new tab and see where that takes you.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

I've falled way behind in this thread, and just saw this and in a better strip, a favorite pet security question sounds like a pretty amusing storyline. I can see Pooch Cafe doing it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Family Circus kids confirmed not people.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Pros & Cons

Yay!

Luann

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh geez, it does not look like Spidey has a good grip on that web. I think he's tossing out that quip on his way to falling on his head. :ohdear:

Juliet Jones

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh geez, it does not look like Spidey has a good grip on that web. I think he's tossing out that quip on his way to falling on his head. :ohdear:

"Your friendly neighborhood watch Spider-man!"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Emmy Lou and Taffy are gonna go all the way after prom.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Gunther's path is that of the prissy, the whiny, and the needlessly delicate, so no, Driver Guy, this is definitely not it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, Emmy Lou and her friend have to be a couple at this point.

I have to wonder, though - did Taffy ever have any dialogue? Or was it just "sigh" (like it was here)? I guess things were different back in the 70s -- which was, after all the era when JOHN DARLING was published!

In today's strip: John and his director are watching a live taping of an episode of the then-hugely-popular sitcom Happy Days. The men in the second and third panels are actors Ron Howard and Henry Winkler.

Today's punchline: Happy Days was on the air for so long that, in later seasons, Ron Howard could no longer convincingly portray a teenager.

Edit: interestingly, although the crux of this strip is "facial hair lol", no facial hair is visible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fighting Trousers posted:

Gunther's path is that of the prissy, the whiny, and the needlessly delicate, so no, Driver Guy, this is definitely not it.

Holy gently caress it's the exact same thing as yesterday's strip too, Rosa being happy she's actually getting to do what she went there to do, Gunther being miserable over the same thing, and extremely heavy-handed symbolism showing how awful everything is for poor Gunther. I'd ask if we were in for a week of this if it weren't Saturday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I get the feeling that happens a lot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Roland Jones posted:

Holy gently caress it's the exact same thing as yesterday's strip too, Rosa being happy she's actually getting to do what she went there to do, Gunther being miserable over the same thing, and extremely heavy-handed symbolism showing how awful everything is for poor Gunther. I'd ask if we were in for a week of this if it weren't Saturday.

I hope it goes on for months, it's the most interesting Lu Ann's ever been.
Panel 1: the woman is greeted by the smiling children of whatever mountain village the clinic's at. Panel 2: as she leaves, the children turn on Gunther with menacing frowns, their teeth unnaturally pointed.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

It's the same reaction to most of Steve Kelley's stand-up routine.

Why does Dustin react as if this is some profound revelation and not a dumb joke?

You work in book publishing? My condolences.

Oh hey it's the same kid from the cups arc from three years ago. Now's your chance to get into a five minute tirade over sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Somebody please post all the cup sizes edits please. I need them.

• Locked thread