Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Space Flower posted:

Saying 'nyaa' in a dub would usually raise tons of red flags, but it turns out that a black suave voice solves everything.

Wait, he says 'nya(n)'? Shouldn't they be incorporating 'meow' into the words, instead? I mean, it's the english dub we're talking about, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
He's so suave, he should probably do the trailer for Leviathan Warships.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a bit of a letdown. Are they having budget troubles or something?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I thought the speech was nice, then again I like this series to the point where I'm a bit forgiving of its shortcomings.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

I thought the speech was nice, then again I like this series to the point where I'm a bit forgiving of its shortcomings.

I thought it was nice, and it really gave some insight into WIlliam's mindset (and many of the other players as well). At the same time I don't think it needed to be 18 minutes long.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
This week on Log Horizon - William Massachusetts spends an entire episode delivering his gaming manifesto. Still not the slowest episode!

I actually enjoyed it more than the Akatsuki stuff, but that's possibly because I'm a sucker for speeches and introspection.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I enjoyed it myself. Looking past the game aspect, this is a group of people who almost lost everything, and needed someone honest to pull them together. Sure it's slow, but I think it needed the whole 18 minutes to really give the effect.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This show continues to feel like edu-tainment from a parallel world where people are worried that kids aren't playing enough videogames.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I thought the big speech was great, both as a post-wipe peptalk and defense of why some people play MMOs even though they are huge timesinks. It should be familiar to any player that has raided with a group of people over time and gotten to know them.

The wipe was totally Naotsugu's fault though. Offtanks were slacking instead of picking up the adds. :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Has Rudy done anything since I stopped watching at like episode 5 or so

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Rudy has been living it up as an adventurer, getting all the sweet swag, buffs, and accolades. He has been a hit with all the ladies and continues to endlessly entertain and amuse.

... Off screen.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Did I seriously just watch a 20 minute speech on the merits of nerdlordom?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rodyle posted:

Did I seriously just watch a 20 minute speech on the merits of nerdlordom?

Yes. And yeah, they could have cut it down to like 5 minutes max, I did not mind the subject matter because it makes sense for the character but I would have liked if they had summed it up quicker and we could have gotten to some action. :sigh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Was that a speech on MMO failures or bitcoin?

Either way, gently caress this season. This episode was the worst thing ever; when you eclipse the Akatsuki Pity Party with only ONE CHARACTER, I'm checking out. Goodness gracious, Deen, just stop already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Was that a speech on MMO failures or bitcoin?

Either way, gently caress this season. This episode was the worst thing ever; when you eclipse the Akatsuki Pity Party with only ONE CHARACTER, I'm checking out. Goodness gracious, Deen, just stop already.

This stuff isn't Deen's fault, unless you're talking about the animation quality. The folks involved with directing and writing haven't changed between seasons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The NEXT episode seems promising maybe?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

This stuff isn't Deen's fault, unless you're talking about the animation quality. The folks involved with directing and writing haven't changed between seasons.

Seriously? What the hell happened? I guess I can see how this idea sounded good on paper, but I am sick and tired of mopey sad times. You can spend an episode licking your wounds without wallowing in depression.

If someone's read the light novels, is this a point in the story where everything is sad and going wrong? Between Akatsuki & co, moon magic and now an entire episode dedicated to one guy's speech about losing, I'm running out of fucks to give.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus Christ. God dammit. Season 1 was so nice.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I do like the comparison between William and Shiroe.

The guy looked up to the DBT and later realized how big a doofus he was for blowing off the Round Table. But he's also made a name for himself both as a player and guild leader. Shiroe's been part of big things before but he's never really played the leader role. The Round Table does tend to follow him but it's Log Horizon where he can't wiggle out of being the leader.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Between unnecessarily recycled footage last episode and this filler piece this week, their budget either got slashed or they're saving it all for upcoming awesomeness.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
So this what happens when you contract a show for 25 episodes with only enough light novel material for 13.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

organism posted:

So this what happens when you contract a show for 25 episodes with only enough light novel material for 13.

I can see the show ending in a couple of episodes and covering just two light novels. The Akatsuki arc and Shiroe's raid are each one LN and they've just concluded one with the raid near its end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Argas posted:

I can see the show ending in a couple of episodes and covering just two light novels. The Akatsuki arc and Shiroe's raid are each one LN and they've just concluded one with the raid near its end.

They've already confirmed that this season will be 25 episodes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Shinjobi posted:

Seriously? What the hell happened? I guess I can see how this idea sounded good on paper, but I am sick and tired of mopey sad times. You can spend an episode licking your wounds without wallowing in depression.

If someone's read the light novels, is this a point in the story where everything is sad and going wrong? Between Akatsuki & co, moon magic and now an entire episode dedicated to one guy's speech about losing, I'm running out of fucks to give.

Volume 6 had 5 chapters and about 50% of it was Akatsuki moping.
Volume 7 had 5 chapters. Chapter 4 had 5 parts, and four of them were William post-raid, aka this ep. The last part was Shiroe coming back to life.

So yes, this is straight from the source.

Argas posted:

They have half a season left and 2 more volumes to cover. I believe Volume 9 is coming out slightly before the anime catches up.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Srice posted:

They've already confirmed that this season will be 25 episodes.

Right, I just mean that they're not exactly stretching things out. Some things could've been more brief or the focus could've been on more fun things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If this stuff hasn't been padding out the content at all, then yikes. A lot of this season sure has felt that way!

Fidelity to the source material can be a dumb thing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

"It's time to finally tell you all what my goal is." *timeskips a week forward* "Time for the final battle!"

This loving show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blastron posted:

"It's time to finally tell you all what my goal is." *timeskips a week forward* "Time for the final battle!"

This loving show.

Prepare for the flashback episode in three weeks!

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

One of the interesting things about a visual medium versus a written one is that the amount of time it takes to express dialogue versus the amount of time it takes to express action are horribly distorted in a transition from one to the other. When reading through this, it seemed pretty reasonable, and because the chapter was pretty much pure dialogue and introspection it went by pretty quickly and I was on to the next chapter eagerly awaiting the resolution. In the anime, however, the same dialogue seems to have taken... Wow, a whole lot longer to get across! And the next episode is /not/ just right in front of me. I have to wait another week.

I like Log Horizon, but they did a really bad job adapting this episode. Yeah, it fit their format of "about one episode per chapter." But the distortion of content due to the medium shift meant that, in sticking to that format, they really hosed the pacing on this.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I must be a terrible poopsocker for liking this episode. Then again I didn't quite agree with the "be a vegetable in front of your PC" -parts of the speech, but I actually found it fairly interesting and the argumentation within it relatable.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I thought this was a decent episode. I'm not some big raid nut and my biggest MMO addiction was Ragnarok Online, but I get what William was on about. Having a guild full of at-the-time close friends and not wanting to move on from them, I get that. Reminded me of my RO guild and how I don't know what any of them are up to anymore. :smith:

It did definitely drag on but at the same time saving their budget for what will hopefully be a cool raid episode next week is fine by me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Adelheid posted:

One of the interesting things about a visual medium versus a written one is that the amount of time it takes to express dialogue versus the amount of time it takes to express action are horribly distorted in a transition from one to the other. When reading through this, it seemed pretty reasonable, and because the chapter was pretty much pure dialogue and introspection it went by pretty quickly and I was on to the next chapter eagerly awaiting the resolution. In the anime, however, the same dialogue seems to have taken... Wow, a whole lot longer to get across! And the next episode is /not/ just right in front of me. I have to wait another week.

I like Log Horizon, but they did a really bad job adapting this episode. Yeah, it fit their format of "about one episode per chapter." But the distortion of content due to the medium shift meant that, in sticking to that format, they really hosed the pacing on this.

Yeah, there's definitely been issues with how much time's been spent on moments like these.

It doesn't help that you have to wait a week either, whereas the LN is the entire arc in one chunk.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not an MMO player so some of William's speech didn't get to me, but lots did because I'm also awful at making real-life relationships and doing things other than playing videogames, and goddamn I can't disagree with William on most of his points.

It really didn't need to be a whole episode of talking, but the talking was at least heartwarming and well-written. I enjoyed it more than "Akatsuki is sad and useless", which was basically the entire season apart from very few episodes. Also Shiroe's back in action so we should get some actual raiding done next ep, so it's fine to actually pause and see a character's motivations, even moreso when I doubt most people here don't feel at least somewhat identified.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
William's speech was basically about how you should not let judgmental people stop you from doing something you love. As long as you can support yourself and you're happy doing whatever it is you want to do you should not let society's ideas of what constitutes success force you into giving up something you love or make you miserable.

Still, they should have consulted the author and asked if there was a way to cut the speech down to five minutes or so, it made the episode drag quite a bit. Hopefully next week has some decent action, the preview made it look like it did.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty silly episode for a situation that would make any MMO raid team go "okay I guess with the boss healing shenanigains, we hit the enrage. try again I guess".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Blhue posted:

Pretty silly episode for a situation that would make any MMO raid team go "okay I guess with the boss healing shenanigains, we hit the enrage. try again I guess".

After our first wipe on the new SWTOR raid, I am going to deliver William's speech over Teamspeak, verbatim, in the original Japanese.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blhue posted:

I think death is supposed to be highly traumatic for the players, so their reluctance makes sense with that in mind.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

There Bias Two posted:

I think death is supposed to be highly traumatic for the players, so their reluctance makes sense with that in mind.

If Shiroe's flashback was any indication, he flashbacked to a moment in his life where he felt his weakest. While some people carry themselves differently, I imagine reliving moments in your life where you felt your absolute worst when you die, and for Raiders who die a LOT, must eat at a person.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nipponophile posted:

After our first wipe on the new SWTOR raid, I am going to deliver William's speech over Teamspeak, verbatim, in the original Japanese.

Looking forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yosuke posted:

If Shiroe's flashback was any indication, he flashbacked to a moment in his life where he felt his weakest. While some people carry themselves differently, I imagine reliving moments in your life where you felt your absolute worst when you die, and for Raiders who die a LOT, must eat at a person.

Well it does, but you forget, so it's cool.

At some point your worst remaining memory will be when grandma took you for ice cream but wouldn't let you get a third scoop on your cone. Death becomes a warm, welcoming embrace.

• Locked thread