Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wait so if I can't use Third World or Developing Nations now, what's the preferred terminology?

"Nations that lag behind others in some measures but are of equal moral and spiritual worth as any other nation?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tomn posted:

Can't help but notice that the "civilized" guy looks goddamn depressed compared to his pals. Appropriate, I suppose!

The free expression of emotion is not something the Civilized Victorian World was well-known for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sniper4625 posted:

Wait so if I can't use Third World or Developing Nations now, what's the preferred terminology?

"Nations that lag behind others in some measures but are of equal moral and spiritual worth as any other nation?"

You can just say the rest of the world if it matters that much to you.

I don't know why you would, as third world is such a broad term it really doesn't have any practical use.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Someone post a map about mapgames or something, Jesus Christ.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can just say the rest of the world if it matters that much to you.

I don't know why you would, as third world is such a broad term it really doesn't have any practical use.

I don't actually care, I just find this entire derail pretty funny.

Hey paradevs: end this madness! Announce Rome 2, that'll distract us.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ofaloaf posted:

Let's go whole hog and use the Three Stages of Civilization

First guy's thinking "Oh man I am so high right now you wouldn't believe."

Second guy's thinking "Oh man pants are fuckin' awesome, I could take on the world in these pants."

Third guy's thinking "Oh man I didn't realize I have to PAY for these pants, now I'm working a nine to five job, what a drag."

sniper4625 posted:

Hey paradevs: end this madness! Announce Rome 2, that'll distract us.

What, and encourage the emulation of the single most famous imperialistic entity in history? Madness.

This is the best way to end the derail. What didn't make the cut?
vvvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I've recently acquired a physical copy of the original Europa Universallis board game, and have decided to start up the efforts to get the thing preserved in a digital format for ease of play and to create the possibility of assembling groups online.

In looking it over I've seen a lot of interesting mechanics, some of which endure to this day in the videogame and others which never made the jump.

Will probably share progress reports as things move along, and may go fishing for others to contribute to the project.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Boy, look at all these unread posts! A dev diary? A new DLC?

Oh.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Drone posted:

Someone post a map about mapgames or something, Jesus Christ.

Green colonies (colonies of former state Portugal) are mine.

Edit: I don't have a screenshot for that but on that run there were no Protestant or Reformed provinces. When you pressed the religous map mode button "Catholicism" would get plastered accross all of Europe and the American Colonies.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 6, 2014

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mans posted:

The term is literally telling you pea-brained loser that the first and second world are imperialist blocs who use their economic, political and military muscles to draw weaker states into their own spheres and that the countries who are not directly linked with one of the blocs will suffer pressure and exploitation from both sides.

The term itself is anti-imperialist by nature and is the opposite of apologia for first or second world invasions of the third world.

The modern definition of third world is effectively useless with the collapse of the second bloc and is in fact used nowadays as an insult to throw against non-western countries. The definition of third world that the OP was talking about, however, was clearly meant to be a reference to the definition of thirld world as used during the Cold War. And you simply can't grasp that because nowadays, twenty years after the term became obsolete, the term is misused.

You could've just said "nowadays the definition of third world is badly used and is a prejorative" but you went on stinking this thread with your babby first Maoist rant.

Actually I was replying to somebody who said it was just a relic of the cold war, so, y'know, actually talking about it's application in the modern day. And just in case you didn't know, languages do this thing called evolution, whereby the meanings of the terms in the language change over time. If you look at what I've been saying, it's not that your definition is wrong, it's that your definition isn't applicable nowadays because the majority of people don't use it that way.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kanthulhu posted:

Edit: I don't have a screenshot for that but on that run there were no Protestant or Reformed provinces. When you pressed the religous map mode button "Catholicism" would get plastered accross all of Europe and the American Colonies.

What you could conquer all of europe but not spain? 0/10.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

Your borders... please fix your borders. They're so disgusting.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Peanut President posted:

What you could conquer all of europe but not spain? 0/10.

Well, I could but I didn't want to spend all those admin points coring it and I was already out of time to finish absorbing my remaining vassals so I just decided to let Spain be after taking Aragon and basque provinces from them. That's why you can see some GB still on the map, that's the part that I vassalised after conquering a bunch of English provinces plus releasing and integrating scotland. I didn't have the time to integrate GB so there is still some left there.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Sampatrick posted:

Your borders... please fix your borders. They're so disgusting.

Are they more disgusting or less disgusting than the argument over the usage of the phrase "third world"?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I've always known the terms first/second/third world to mean post-industrial/industrial (or industrialising)/unindustrialised. Granted I was born in 1990 so the Cold War definition was already dead and cold by the time I could comprehend what the words meant.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kanthulhu posted:

Well, I could but I didn't want to spend all those admin points coring it and I was already out of time to finish absorbing my remaining vassals so I just decided to let Spain be after taking Aragon and basque provinces from them. That's why you can see some GB still on the map, that's the part that I vassalised after conquering a bunch of English provinces plus releasing and integrating scotland. I didn't have the time to integrate GB so there is still some left there.

A likely excuse.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Chief Savage Man posted:

Boy, look at all these unread posts! A dev diary? A new DLC?

Oh.

Hey podcat, DR etc, is there going to be a HOI4 DD this month or are you guys off for the hols?

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hey podcat, DR etc, is there going to be a HOI4 DD this month or are you guys off for the hols?

There should be something before x-mas. although probably not on the 12th since we have an office christmas party that day.

also the last 2 pages of this thread has torn away my ability to respect anything, and my ability to feel human.

podcat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

podcat posted:

There should be something before x-mas. although probably not on the 12th since we have an office christmas party that day.

Do you send out your finest hunter, or does Johan hunt dinner for the feast himself ("hand me the bear spear!")

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Drone posted:

Do you send out your finest hunter, or does Johan hunt dinner for the feast himself ("hand me the bear spear!")

I am honestly hoping for the second.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
We finally learnt the truth behind East vs West's cancellation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

podcat posted:

yay!

podcat posted:

also the last 2 pages of this thread has torn away my ability to respect anything, and my ability to feel human.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Drone posted:

"hand me the bear spear!"

I am imagining this in Johan's squeaky Swedish gnome voice and giggling to myself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Drone posted:

I always assumed Johan was their finest hunter, which is why he's the boss. Isn't that how things work in Sweden?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sampatrick posted:

Actually I was replying to somebody who said it was just a relic of the cold war, so, y'know, actually talking about it's application in the modern day. And just in case you didn't know, languages do this thing called evolution, whereby the meanings of the terms in the language change over time. If you look at what I've been saying, it's not that your definition is wrong, it's that your definition isn't applicable nowadays because the majority of people don't use it that way.

He was talking about a game based on Cold War era, where that definition of Third World is absolutely correct and valid. Do you also go full-autist mode every time someone talks about Gaul when talking about a classical era game instead of France or Persia instead of Iran when talking about EUIV?

Calm your tits, your outrage can be better spent on something worthwhile.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guys, there's a thread on pdox EU4 forums about Yugoslavia and it's on its seventh page and it's not crap, you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drone posted:

Things I have learned since moving to Sweden: Bear is delicious.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh that isn't true, if the majority are ignorant and use it incorrectly than it really doesn't matter what the "correct" definition is. The popular use is the only one that really matters. Outside of allowing you to be smug, I suppose.

See entitlements for another example.

I'm starting to think this is an American vs European thing now.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Discussion>Games>Paradox Grand Strategy: White Knights of the Third World

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Let's place bets on Paradox Dev Most Likely To Photocopy rear end During Office Christmas Party.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DStecks posted:

...industry dominated by upper-middle-class to wealthy white male STEM majors (who statistically skew libertarian). :v:

Ain't that the truth :( "People pay me money because I have a skill, therefore if society were the law of the jungle I'd come out on top :smug:"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mans posted:

He was talking about a game based on Cold War era, where that definition of Third World is absolutely correct and valid. Do you also go full-autist mode every time someone talks about Gaul when talking about a classical era game instead of France or Persia instead of Iran when talking about EUIV?

Calm your tits, your outrage can be better spent on something worthwhile.

Morholt posted:

The point was of course not that these countries would be a part of such a game but rather to point out that it is an imperialistic term.

Riso posted:

No, it's not. The term is a Cold War relic:

First World: The Free World (W. Europe, NATO, etc)
Second World: Commie Bastards
Third World: Everyone else

Hey would ya look at that, a person saying that the term is a Cold War relic! Guess which post I was replying to. Also well done insulting everybody who's autistic, one of the most trashed people out there, you really are a phenomenal person aren't you? That's without getting into the whole 'calm your tits' thing, and what you're saying to women whenever you say that, but hey! So long as it's on the internet, who cares about saying lovely things.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sampatrick posted:

Hey would ya look at that, a person saying that the term is a Cold War relic! Guess which post I was replying to. Also well done insulting everybody who's autistic, one of the most trashed people out there, you really are a phenomenal person aren't you? That's without getting into the whole 'calm your tits' thing, and what you're saying to women whenever you say that, but hey! So long as it's on the internet, who cares about saying lovely things.

Drop it, Jesus loving tapdancing Christ.

In more Paradox Games-related stuff, has anyone been playing the most recent version of the AGoT mod for CK2? It feels like they intentionally made it so the Seven Kingdoms are perpetually involved in some kind of Free Cities embargo wars and it seems really loving stupid. The realms are at peace for maybe 5 days out of every year. It's a bit silly because with the megawar system, this means the kingdoms are almost always de facto independent, so whoever rules in Kings Landing will dole out honorary titles like Warden of the North to people located in the Crownlands :psyduck:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Third World Maoism is the light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Let's place bets on Paradox Dev Most Likely To Photocopy rear end During Office Christmas Party.

It won't be a dev, it will be Shams, he will then label it Rome 2 and hand out a copy to everyone while wearing a lampshade on his head and cackling.

edit: I think it was Shams who wore the Rome 2 shirt at the Paradox event this summer, anyhow.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Did...Did you just call them a person? Check your privilege you shitlord, some of us are dragonkin.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reading people argue about the Third World is kind of like being in a room with people talking about you telling you what you should or shouldn't be offended at. Are any of you knuckleheads even from here?

For content: has there been any information yet about internal politics in HOI 4? 2 was perfectly functional and just worked, but 3 I thought was entirely useless.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sampatrick posted:

Stop getting your panties in a knot over it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yall are so dumb im honestly surprised you can operate a computer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Agean90 posted:

yall are so dumb im honestly surprised you can operate a computer

my laptop is insufficiently maoist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

Guys, there's a thread on pdox EU4 forums about Yugoslavia and it's on its seventh page and it's not crap, you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

That is an ill omen. Something terrible is about to happen.

• Locked thread