Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

so it's the guilt iguana from Oglaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alouicious posted:

so it's the guilt iguana from Oglaf?

Thank you! I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phy posted:

Magnetism is a very well defined force of nature, Chinaman 7000.
Yeah, who could ever think that magnetism was loosely defined

[X-Men #1]

[X-Men #18]

[X-Men #18]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, who could ever think that magnetism was loosely defined

[X-Men #1]

[X-Men #18]

[X-Men #18]

You didn't post the one where Thor grabs Magneto's wrist, Magneto says Thor has a grip "like iron", and promptly flings Thor across the room. (Don't have it, I think it's in the X-thread)

Anyway, here's Robbie Reyes (the new Ghost Rider) meeting Johnny Blaze (Ghost Rider Classic) for the first time in All-New Ghost Rider #14

Awkward...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh I have that one from an argument about whether Magneto could affect Mjolnir.

[Journey Into Mystery #109

To be fair, Thor is covered in iron nipples so he may just be making an amazing quip rather than literally using the power of magnetism on a simile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

Oh I have that one from an argument about whether Magneto could affect Mjolnir.

[Journey Into Mystery #109

To be fair, Thor is covered in iron nipples so he may just be making an amazing quip rather than literally using the power of magnetism on a simile.

I've seen this before but oh my loving god I just love Thor's position in the last panel. I can't help but imagine him going "Wheeeee! :histdowns:"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Section Z posted:

I've seen this before but oh my loving god I just love Thor's position in the last panel. I can't help but imagine him going "Wheeeee! :histdowns:"

Someone is going to make him go wheee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

[X-Men #18]

I can't remember if this was because he had powers of animal attraction or his magnetic personality. One or the other.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Like the modern Bi-polar Magneto isn't just as groan worthy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If only all search engines were this helpful.

Wicked + Divine #2

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't buy Hickman's loving uncle Doom. Guy skinned his girlfriend alive.

I think its in line with the history of the character. First, consider Doom's relationship with religion. He comes from a strong religious background, his mother was very devout and his project was trying to contact her in the afterlife. From that background, being god father is a big deal - it's not just a ceremony. Traditionally, the god father is supposed to every bit as involved in raising the child as the parents. He is tasked with the child's moral upbringing, and is to assume custody of the child should the parents die. Old World, aristocratic, noblesse oblige, authoritarian... that's Doom to a T. Also, from this point of view, it was Richards coming and admitting inferiority - that Reed couldn't raise the child to have a proper moral outlook on the world and needed Victor to do it. Would Doom pass that up? The chance to have a living proof of Reed's submission? No one else may think that way any more, but Doom would.

Then there is the "show yet again that he is superior to Richards". Everyone knows Richards is the consummate family man, its what he has based much of his celebrity on. "Science Explorer Family". So here is a chance to show the world that while Doom does not need a family to triumph, should he deign to have one then he would be better at Richards than that as well.

On top of that, there is the possessive part. When Doom states Valeria is his god-daughter, the operative part of that sentence is the word "his". He will allow no harm to come to that which is rightfully his, and will visit unspeakable agonies on any with the temerity to challenge him in any way.

Plus, like he says in those panels, friends can be "useful". He loved and protected the original Valeria as well... right until he needed to skin her alive and toss her soul to the lords of hell. With young Valeria, if he brings her to serving him he has the viper right against Reed's chest - she's already on the inside. That his beloved daughter would choose Doom over him and betray him to Doom would hurt Reed so much that it would make Doom's triumph that much sweeter.

Finally, the two characters have always been connected in this way. It is another aspect of the "I'm better than Reed Richards" angle. Remember that Doom delivered Valeria. Tow superheroes having a child leads to complications in Marvel, Sue miscarried their first attempt despite Reed's best efforts. Franklin's birth involved one of the "I'm basically God" character's intervention or else he also would have died being born. With Valeria Reed was going nuts trying to save her and got stuck in another dimension trying to something that would let him save the baby. Ben and Johnny had to fly to Latvia and get Doom when Sue went into labor, Reed returned empty handed right after the delivery was finished. Doom's price was naming her. As long as she lives there is proof that Doom is better than Reed Richards. He won't let that go away.

And thats entirely too many words about comic book characters

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
PSA: Smoking is bad for you.

Bandette #8

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Franklin's birth involved one of the "I'm basically God" character's intervention or else he also would have died being born.
While I think Annihilus would appreciate the upgrade in his villain status, I'm not quite sure that's an entirely fair summation of Franklin's birth where the danger was less him dying being born and more him possibly poisoning both of them to death with power.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Metal Loaf posted:

I can't remember if this was because he had powers of animal attraction or his magnetic personality. One or the other.
magnetic control

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think I can guess how Magneto was foiled in that particular story.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

PSA: Smoking is bad for you.

Bandette #8

Looks like Ms. Marvel.

Also Bandette #8.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

I think I can guess how Magneto was foiled in that particular story.
A good guess! While Professor X is trapped in a weather balloon he telepathically contacted omnipotent alien kidnapper The Stranger, who arrives just in the nick of time to save Iceman from being magnetically crushed to death and take Magneto back to his home planet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Say Nothing posted:

Looks like Ms. Marvel.

Also Bandette #8.

Ms Marvel wouldn't have anything to do with pigs, they are haram

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

magnetic control

Holy poo poo, I'd seen that one panel posted out of context with some of the others, but it's even better in context seeing Magneto bullshit up hypnotism by linking it loosely to magnetism.

Also Magneto's trying to be Darkseid, introducing himself with lines like "I? I am power!"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd seen that one panel posted out of context with some of the others, but it's even better in context seeing Magneto bullshit up hypnotism by linking it loosely to magnetism.

Also Magneto's trying to be Darkseid, introducing himself with lines like "I? I am power!"

I can't help but read those lines in the voice of "foiled by a wooden gun" Magneto from that old cartoon.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I can't help but read those lines in the voice of "foiled by a wooden gun" Magneto from that old cartoon.

I thought I was the only one.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I just like the idea of Magneto sneaking around inside the X-Mansion for some relatively minor misdemeanor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TwoPair posted:

Well, to be fair, he has demonstrated the ability to render people unconscious by manipulating the iron in their blood, but that's just another in a long line of 'what if you fought him with wood, plasticm and non-magnetic metals' things.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ror posted:

They're in good hands.

FF #57

And so, Mick Jagger and David Bowie apply for Latverian citizenship.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gavok posted:

For a second I thought this was a joke about Mick Jagger being Doom and Bowie being Silver Surfer and now I really wanna see this movie.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Ms Marvel wouldn't have anything to do with pigs, they are haram
You'd think that, but Lockjaw at the Khans' place is despite dogs being not pure according to her brother. (Her mother's more weirded out by how big he is, while her dad's more annoyed at having to vacuum after Lockjaw's been inside.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Diet Poison posted:

For a second I thought this was a joke about Mick Jagger being Doom and Bowie being Silver Surfer and now I really wanna see this movie.

David Bowie was born to play Adam Warlock and you know it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

As long as Doom doesn't hire any motorcycle gang to defend his cause of peace and brotherly love, it should be all right.

Diet Poison posted:

There was a time when he Surfer did fell to earth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Well, hypnotism is linked to magnetism. People used to believe that you could hypnotize people with magnets.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Alhazred posted:

Well, hypnotism is linked to magnetism. People used to believe that you could hypnotize people with magnets.

It's still bullshit. Also, I'm sorry, but holy gently caress that artwork makes me giggle every time I see it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
From the latest issue of Chew:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Senior Woodchuck posted:

From the latest issue of Chew:

I always knew purple stuff was up to no good :downs:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The original Spider-Woman.

Spidey Super Stories #11.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Say Nothing posted:

The original Spider-Woman.

Spidey Super Stories #11.

I'm trying to imagine the trajectory of her swing. It looks like she attached a webline to the window and then slipped off the windowsill.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It's still bullshit.

Unlike the rest of Magneto's power?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Alhazred posted:

Unlike the rest of Magneto's power?

If by dint of hosed up DNA Storm gets to control the goddamn weather, it doing the same to give power over magnetism seems less of a stretch :effort:

DNA does not work that waaaaaay

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If by dint of hosed up DNA Storm gets to control the goddamn weather, it doing the same to give power over magnetism seems less of a stretch :effort:

DNA does not work that waaaaaay

You think that's bad? Bobby Drake transmutes his entire body to ice, a substance that has no DNA.

And the Shadow King is a mutant ghost.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

Probably the best piece of fiction I've seen involving perception manipulation through electromagnetic interference is Blindsight by Peter Watts. But that's a book, not a comic, and you can't, like, hypnotize someone with a fridge magnet.

A powerful enough magnetic field run directly through the right part of their brain might revoke their enteric control, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

A powerful enough magnetic field run directly through the right part of their brain might revoke their enteric control, though.

Poop fields?! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Magneto's hidden, secondary power. The Brown Noise. :v:

• Locked thread