Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Get Innocuous! posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Citizen Kane Kain is the worst game in the series.

Do it right. :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Reading my comment literally without realizing that I'm being hyperbolic to make a point and then in the next breath trying to criticize my understanding, I just don't know what to say.

:geno:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

On the other hand, it means earlier bosses are all identical because you just cast magic until they stagger and then hit them a bunch. For examples see the big flan boss in ff13-2 which can barely hurt you but still is boring to actually fight.

That is because FFXIII-2 had significantly worse design that de-emphasizes interesting stagger mechanics. (Which is one of the reasons I'm not fond of it despite it having other mechanical improvements.) FFXIII's bosses actually were a bit more varied because most of them were a tutorial for a specific mechanic.

They're still early-game FF bosses though, don't get me wrong. Most of them are boring with the most thought they need being "don't hit the boss when it is guarding."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

That is because FFXIII-2 had significantly worse design that de-emphasizes interesting stagger mechanics. (Which is one of the reasons I'm not fond of it despite it having other mechanical improvements.) FFXIII's bosses actually were a bit more varied because most of them were a tutorial for a specific mechanic.

They're still early-game FF bosses though, don't get me wrong. Most of them are boring with the most thought they need being "don't hit the boss when it is guarding."

How is ff133?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So Suikoden 2 is supposed to be the best one, right? Looks like it's finally getting a release on Vita and PS3 next week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It goes away from a party system to a single-character and it plays kind of like a mix of Paper Mario (timed hits and blocks) and FFXIII (instant job switching, altered staggering mechanics.). It has more involved combat design and a lot more customization in combat since it has a pseudo-job system.

I think it's the best of the three but YMMV. It's unarguably a weird and janky game and the plot is really dumb. I don't think it'll win you back if you hated the first two but there are people who played it after hating XIII and XIII-2 and really liked it so YMMV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 6, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Hahaha, SE just announced they would finally give gamers what they want... FFVII is coming back, on Playstation 4!

...As a port with some smoothing filters in place. :geno: Nice troll, SE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Hahaha, SE just announced they would finally give gamers what they want... FFVII is coming back, on Playstation 4!

I laughed so hard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwartzcough posted:

And if it the port of the PC version...midi music.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rirse posted:

And if it the port of the PC version...midi music.

To be fair the MIDI thing hasn't been true for a while.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

Square Enix Owns

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Ahahaha... that was an epic troll by Square. I mean, I hate them for it, but got to give it to them, they got a lot of people with this one.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Between this and Persona 5, the games industry will soon become nothing more but a vessel for developers and publishers to avert the expectations of consumers. The only hope now lies with Yakuza 5.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't laugh, we need to Support The Developers

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Between this and Persona 5, the games industry will soon become nothing more but a vessel for developers and publishers to avert the expectations of consumers. The only hope now lies with Yakuza 5 Nintendo.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Masterful trolling by SE but I don't know what people expected. A proper FF7 remake would require a lot of development resources to meet expectations. The company future strategy involves moving its Japanese developers from big AAA consoles to smaller projects and mobile games. Half of their Japanese staff is held up working on creating content at a brisk pace for FF14. The FF15 development team is still hiring and can't even announce a release window. The Osaka team is busy working with Epic's Tokyo branch in getting KH3 up and running (and Tetsuya Nomura is providing valuable hands-on direction by working hundreds of miles away in Tokyo since this is 'a game that only he can make'). Furthermore, Hashimoto told you to get excited which you should never, ever do that under any circumstances.

Speaking of him, it's really strange watching his career trajectory. Hashimoto used to be a big up and coming producer with the success of the Kingdom Hearts games. He also used to head the Square-Enix Members division. However, Final Fantasy Versus XIII got stuck in development hell and his career stalled. He starting produce games like Front Mission Evolved and handled the Extreme Edges label in Japan which was used to publish Activision games and M-rated Eidos games. I hope FF15 is a hit and gets him back to producing big budget games. The company doesn't need a professional troll they can cart to every press event.

For those curious as to why this is the PC Port to PS4, the original PS1 source assets were most likely lost. In fact, the PC version of FF7 is technically a beta/pre-release version that was patched up to more or less match the PS1 version of the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol at the resolution of ff13-3's ingame screenshots

wao

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
I like serious RPGs, like having storyline relevant party members, and hate having monsters as party members, since they're rarely relevant to the story. It seems that FF13-2 and FF13-3 are not for me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nope, guess not

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rianlee posted:

I like serious RPGs, like having storyline relevant party members, and hate having monsters as party members, since they're rarely relevant to the story. It seems that FF13-2 and FF13-3 are not for me.

13-3 has no party members at all except magical mary sue lightning

also the demo has sold me on it, the combat is so much better goddamn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lollin at how lovely the screenshot function is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

13-3 has no party members at all except magical mary sue lightning

also the demo has sold me on it, the combat is so much better goddamn
it has fang sometimes

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget the social media aspect of Lightning Returns...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sunning posted:

Masterful trolling by SE but I don't know what people expected.

It's their own fault for giving us that PS3 tech demo years ago.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Krad posted:

It's their own fault for giving us that PS3 tech demo years ago.

Please be excited because Hashimoto will feed on your broken dreams.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is the FFVII thing a joke? I'm seriously asking this. Like was it a prank or are they really expecting a lovely port of a game from 1997 to sell on a fourth gen console?

I mean is their entire company a big prank? They are literally so lovely that it's almost remarkable how they somehow manage to do the worst, most disappointing thing at every possible turn.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a pretty funny joke.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it'll totally sell

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SE is pretty cool and it was a really funny joke at the expense of people who post things like

Captain Mog posted:

Is the FFVII thing a joke? I'm seriously asking this. Like was it a prank or are they really expecting a lovely port of a game from 1997 to sell on a fourth gen console?

I mean is their entire company a big prank? They are literally so lovely that it's almost remarkable how they somehow manage to do the worst, most disappointing thing at every possible turn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFVII continues to sell lots and lots of copies without being remade. Why would they remake it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

FFVII continues to sell lots and lots of copies without being remade. Why would they remake it?
because i want them to real bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Square remake FF5 instead so I can hear John Dimaggio voice Gilgamesh for a whole game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

because i want them to real bad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beef Waifu posted:

Square remake FF5 instead so I can hear John Dimaggio voice Gilgamesh for a whole game.

Jokes on you, Gilgamesh has like six lines :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beef Waifu posted:

I would buy a PS4 for that. Or a Vita. Or whatever it was on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I have decided that lightning returns is pretty good on the whole

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Still worth it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

And every single one of them is amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I don't get it, why are people saying Square has trolled people by putting VII on ps4? :confused: