Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

hihifellow posted:

To this day I still find post it notes taped over the webcam lenses.

I've got mine taped over. It seems like half the apps I have on my mac want to turn on the camera for some reason or another (Google Hangouts, I'm looking at you) and the last thing I need is my camera showing my "work clothes" to the rest of my team because I forgot to turn off some "default allow" setting, let alone any time my wife comes over to say hi during an all-hands meeting...

The pants don't get put on until I'm off the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Well, time for work, better take off my pants.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

My whole team had a group interview call a little while ago. I joined as usual, and all of a sudden my webcam clicked on. The first thing that came into my mind was "I'm so glad I'm wearing a shirt today"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Well, time for work, better take off my pants.

More like time for work, better roll out of bed and directly into my desk

I think my bathrobe gets more wear than my jeans most days.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think my bathrobe gets more wear than my jeans most days.

Well, if anyone ever makes a WFH thread, we have a title for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't work without getting dressed, I don't know how you guys do it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dogstile posted:

I have a rule that I never answer my work phone unless I am wearing trousers and a top.

When you invoke this rule more than once per week, you should reevaluate your home-working practices.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

let alone any time my wife comes over to say hi during an all-hands meeting...

An "all hands" meeting with your wife, eh? :pervert:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Folly posted:

Ok, I don't usually hang out here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place. But I had to bitch somewhere. I submitted a change ticket to decommission some servers. The ticket process goes through several stages of waiting and confirmation, then removes the servers from the active server list so the hardware can be repurposed. I don't even get an option to close the ticket util the last step is done, and the servers are removed from the active list.

So I babysit this ticket go through all the steps, over the course of about 3 months, and the servers are off the list. I go press the close button and get, basically, "Error: These servers aren't on the active list." Of course not, that was the entire point of the ticket! The process is literally impossible to complete as designed.

Just do what everyone else does here.

Just select random devices to close the tickets with. Reporting be damned!

Even if the correct devices are in the system! Even if the correct devices are even easier to select than the wrong one! Who the gently caress cares, just randomly click on poo poo on the face of the ticket.

No I did not encounter this about 30 seconds ago why do you ask?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This is what I do with our poo poo remedy system. Half of the things we deal with aren't in there and we have to select categories in order to close the ticket, so gently caress it. I didn't install third party software on windows 8, I installed Novell Netware on a Palm Pilot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gilok posted:

This is what I do with our poo poo remedy system. Half of the things we deal with aren't in there and we have to select categories in order to close the ticket, so gently caress it. I didn't install third party software on windows 8, I installed Novell Netware on a Palm Pilot.

Hey, we use Remedy too! I'm noticing a pattern here.

It got to the point that our admins added a "Unlisted Device" dropdown so you can use that if all else fails. Of course, if you do use it, you have to be prepared to be asked a thousand questions so the correct device can never be added to the database. It's easier just to select the next closest match anyway since it's never questioned that way.

My real problem are people who do that for devices in a category that is actually maintained. Good job putting "router" into the device type, but the name of the router that you selected doesn't match what's in the work log. In fact, the two routers are 300 miles and two states apart. These are for open tickets where I could actually use that information instead of having to dig for it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

Stay in bed answering emails on your phone until such time as the phone rings and you actually have to do some work.

Get the actual work done in the early evening when your brain is at its most functional anyway.

So glad none of my kit has cameras* as I'm another for working in her nightie and my GF does tend to wander in with nothing on. :)

*Work laptop does, but it's permanently in its docking station with the lid closed

Lum fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 7, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

So glad none of my kit has cameras* as I'm another for working in her nightie and my GF does tend to wander in with nothing on. :)

I think I have seen this video before.

Does the delivery guy usually turn up with a 'big package' for you?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

This would be a very uncomfortable conference call to be on.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

spog posted:

I think he might have the wrong address if he did. :laugh:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jammyozzy posted:

I think he might have the wrong address if he did. :laugh:

I've got a "Big Package" for you ladies.
Sign here...
and here.

And uh, it's insured so initial here.
Have a great day.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

spog posted:

Not often, though I did get one of those free Merakis the other day.

(Which I'm now paying for, due to 9AM sales calls)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I uninstalled the Webcam on my work laptop and disabled the device.

Why haven't you done this yet?

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Happiness Commando posted:

My whole team had a group interview call a little while ago. I joined as usual, and all of a sudden my webcam clicked on. The first thing that came into my mind was "I'm so glad I'm wearing a shirt today"

LOL dude that is so thrilling, would've been so embarassing, same thing happened to me but with a co-worker, and gladly I wasn't in any embarassing situation either.. but yeah I disconnected my webcam now, since I don't even use it and it will prevent me from doing that stupid thing again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Migishu posted:

I uninstalled the Webcam on my work laptop and disabled the device.

Why haven't you done this yet?

It's actually pretty awesome for videoconferencing when everything Just Works. Being able to seamlessly present stuff is great, but the important thing for me is that I have trouble with concentrating on voice-only calls, and VC fixes that by bringing the non-verbal stuff back.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

NyxBiker posted:

LOL dude that is so thrilling, would've been so embarassing, same thing happened to me but with a co-worker, and gladly I wasn't in any embarassing situation either.. but yeah I disconnected my webcam now, since I don't even use it and it will prevent me from doing that stupid thing again.

Brings it back around to "throw some tape on it", but yeah. It's not as nearly a "NSA is watching me :tinfoil:" thing as some people seem to think.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

Brings it back around to "throw some tape on it", but yeah. It's not as nearly a "NSA is watching me :tinfoil:" thing as some people seem to think.

Sometimes it's just creepy hackers installing RAT software on womens'/girls' machines.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What I notice the most about help desk is just how many people cant use any kind of logic whatsoever.

Our telesales manager gets new staff every god drat week (probably because she is a massive poo poo lord and none of the probates can loving deal with it) and despite having a company wide naming scheme for user accounts and email, that is reflected not only in her account info but every single other staff member, she still asks me every single week what I set her new staff members email, username and (initial) password to.

The absolute best though is people that just jam on the OK button on error messages and then wonder why poo poo isnt working. They dont bother with the message at all, it just didnt work, better call IT and see if the server is offline!

Fax has to go. how the gently caress is it still relevant with email around?

speaking of, Email is poo poo too. "heres 20,000 emails you give literally no shits about, and there is 4 in there that are actually important and should be kept."

I know there is rules and stuff and the whole zero-inbox theory, but its too much loving work when you have a job that is more than just managing/responding to emails all day.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I went in and did some overtime this weekend to move a bunch of people around since it's so much easier when no one's there. A lot of people "helpfully" packed up their keyboards and mice for the movers to move, so we only had to do the PCs/monitors themselves. But then they didn't log off. Oh well, hope no one had any files open, and hope no system files got corrupted when I had to hold the power button down to turn the PC off (some GPO in our environment disables the power buttons sending a graceful shutdown signal for some reason). Also hope connectivity works fine in their new place, because gently caress if I'm going to carry a keyboard around with me on top of everything else just to be able to log in and check.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Taping over the webcam is one of the most human actions there are when it comes to how people view computers and privacy.

If I want to spy on you I would use a keylogger, a screendumper, network traffic sniffing or turn on the microphone on your PC to listen to what you are talking about in the room. Of all the ways to spy on you and see what you are doing, the webcam is the absolutely least interesting.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Of all the ways to spy on you and see what you are doing, the webcam is the absolutely least interesting.

Exactly. If we really wanted the dirt on users we'd take a look at the firewall logs, or just capture screenshots once per minute or somesuch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evobatman posted:

Taping over the webcam is one of the most human actions there are when it comes to how people view computers and privacy.

If I want to spy on you I would use a keylogger, a screendumper, network traffic sniffing or turn on the microphone on your PC to listen to what you are talking about in the room. Of all the ways to spy on you and see what you are doing, the webcam is the absolutely least interesting.

http://www.southnews.org.uk/news/55-camera-feeds-from-surrey-including-baby-monitors-appear-on-russian-webcam-hacking-site

It's definitely something that people use to spy, I keep mine unplugged at all times.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evobatman posted:

Yeah you can get a lot of information that way, but if the camera is taped over, you won't ever get to see me or anyone else in the room walking by without clothes on.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
People are uncomfortable with the idea that maybe, JUST MAYBE, someone is watching them masturbate.

There, I acknowledged the elephant in the room.

Yesterday I came into work to see an 8 hour old ticket sitting with another department. I spent the entire day hassling them to get it fixed, all the while they're pointing fingers and trying to get blame shifted off of them. Lots of finger pointing, name calling, bus throwing, whatever you want. I left work at the ticket's 18 hour mark in the midst of the fourth finger point of the ticket.

I just checked to see what happened with the ticket since I noticed it was closed some time yesterday. It...wasn't fixed. Someone just silently closed out the ticket like it was resolved even though there's notes from other people there saying it hasn't been.

Ticket has a 21 hour close time. Our SLA is 2.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Lum posted:

Not often, though I did get one of those free Merakis the other day.

(Which I'm now paying for, due to 9AM sales calls)

They any good? I did the webinar and they didn't send it as someone else at my company had already claimed one - nice of them to let me sit through the talk and get all excited though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

I know there is rules and stuff and the whole zero-inbox theory, but its too much loving work when you have a job that is more than just managing/responding to emails all day.

The thing is, despite the time you spend setting it up, it saves you so much more in the long run. I usually get 1500 emails a month and most of them are actionable, project updates, or client correspondence that I need. Even with a half rear end filing system, I could not manage the eventual bloat in my Inbox. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it's been a god send for me. The hardest part is actually setting up a workflow (and using it).

Here's how I implemented it. (I use Outlook, so YMMV).
    Create an archive folder. Move all your poo poo from up to a month ago into that archive.
    Set up tags, tags for clients, tags for projects, tags, tags, tags.
    Change your inbox to thread view
    Apply tags to the remaining emails.
    Create a Folder called "2014 Dec Cabinet"
    Every email that DOES NOT REQUIRE a response or action gets moved into there.
    Make two more folders. "Needs attention" for emails that need to be dealt with in the nebulous future. "Do Today" are for actions that need to be done today. Move the remaining emails into one of those two folders.
    Done.
Going forward:
    EVERY email gets either tags applied or deleted immediately. It also gets moved immediately to one of your three folders.
    Every day (multiple times) review the contents of "Need Attention" move them to "Do today" if necessary.
    Do all the "Do Today"
    All completed goes into your cabinet.
    At the end of the month, move the current cabinet into the archive and create a new cabinet.
    If you need to find emails, search on your tags. As long as you apply tags religiously, you can zero in on an email even if you can't quite recall who sent it or when.

You'll start thinking about how to get your actionable items more "in your face" and start using a task manager (Wunderlist, OmniFocus, Things...), Evernote with hierarchical tags (I gave up on OneNote), and IFTTT to automate a lot of it.

Join us. Be a GTD zealot and start proselytizing that it just works and annoy others like I do :)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Thanks for reminding me to mark all 15938 unread e-mail as read.

Last marked as unread two weeks ago :smith:

I am a bad example. Please, nobody manage their inboxes like me.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

Thanks for reminding me to mark all 15938 unread e-mail as read.

Last marked as unread two weeks ago :smith:

I am a bad example. Please, nobody manage their inboxes like me.

Fellow 'who gives a poo poo, why else is there a search function?' email user here. 7000k+ unread outlook inbox at the moment. I could mark as read but what difference does it make?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This would be a very uncomfortable conference call to be on.

We dont do videoconferences, but once on a conferencecall, we started early, and heard one of the partipants making interesting noises:

:350: "Bubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubble"
:350: "COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH"
:350: "COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH"

Of course nobody owned up to it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

nitrogen posted:

We dont do videoconferences, but once on a conferencecall, we started early, and heard one of the partipants making interesting noises:

:350: "COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH"
:350: "COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH"

Of course nobody owned up to it.

Not a conference call, but I was in a meeting once where a few co-workers, an EVP, and I were going over the status of our project with the client. The VP stepped out for a moment to go to the bathroom and came back with white dust around one nostril and on that side of his mustache.

Of course, no one said a bloody word.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Taliesyn posted:

Not a conference call, but I was in a meeting once where a few co-workers, an EVP, and I were going over the status of our project with the client. The VP stepped out for a moment to go to the bathroom and came back with white dust around one nostril and on that side of his mustache.

What's the problem? He just had frosted cake.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Taliesyn posted:

Let's be fair, sometimes coffee isn't enough to get through an entire project meeting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BurgerQuest posted:

Fellow 'who gives a poo poo, why else is there a search function?' email user here. 7000k+ unread outlook inbox at the moment. I could mark as read but what difference does it make?

I have almost no unread e-mails, but I also have pretty much 0 organization beyond the most basic of filtering. That's for both my work and person e-mail.

I just search for whatever I need, but I also don't ever really get e-mails that are important that aren't pretty much just links to something else where all the details are.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

dogstile posted:

What's the problem? He just had frosted cake.

Please, that's pixie sticks and you know it. VP just needed a sugar rush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Please, that's pixie sticks and you know it. VP just needed a sugar rush!
lol booger sugar

• Locked thread