Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Samael posted:

Goons, I am having trouble what standard deck to run, I have a PPTQ I am going to next week and there are so many options that I don't know what to play.

Currently sleeved up and playtested (and quite comfortable with) are-

Rabble Red
Jeskai Ascendancy Tokens (The Same 60 as the Pro Tour List)
Mardu Midrange

I have no idea what the meta is there so I will going in completely cold and would like some goon opinions of people who know standard much better than me, what do you think guys? (I am much more of a limited player)

I'm having a great time with Mardu walkers (list in the brewhaus) but haven't had a chance to subject it to top level opposition, but it seems to have good matches against Heroic and the midrange decks. I figure you will have most of the pieces from the decks you listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
5-0 and it's an 8 round 5k. I just need to win one of the next 2 and i'm in on draws. 50% chance at the feature match cause theres only 4 x-0's now. Brew decks are so cool

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I sure can't wait to be the one dude at FNM running Not-Abzan Reanimator.

Please, kill me.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Andrew tenjum crushed my dream of double id into top 8. Now i have to win the next one. Rip.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

5-0 and it's an 8 round 5k. I just need to win one of the next 2 and i'm in on draws. 50% chance at the feature match cause theres only 4 x-0's now. Brew decks are so cool

Nice, meanwhile I was one of two people to show up for EDH here today. I guess they'll do the one they were supposed to do today next week and just have back-to-back events.

suicidesteve posted:

If they reprint Lili of the Veil, I might actually play standard. Very few cards are capable of inflicting that kind of misery on people, and I don't think they'll ever reprint Smokestack in standard.

They almost reprinted LotV in M15 but thought it would make mono-black too powerful (for Super Standard they were definitely right, probably also right for current Standard)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

If they reprint Lili of the Veil, I might actually play standard. Very few cards are capable of inflicting that kind of misery on people, and I don't think they'll ever reprint Smokestack in standard.
Lili is such a cool litmus test for new players. A lot of people don't understand how powerful it is, or think the plus ability is awful until they see it in action or play against it. You don't even really need to build around her to make her good, but when you do she is such an insane engine.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Lili is such a cool litmus test for new players. A lot of people don't understand how powerful it is, or think the plus ability is awful until they see it in action or play against it. You don't even really need to build around her to make her good, but when you do she is such an insane engine.

To be fair, the +1 won't be nearly as good without Flashback or a viable reanimator strategy in Standard.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Tonetta posted:

Andrew tenjum crushed my dream of double id into top 8. Now i have to win the next one. Rip.

Good luck buddy! Let us know how you do!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BizarroAzrael posted:

To be fair, the +1 won't be nearly as good without Flashback or a viable reanimator strategy in Standard.

With delve a Lilly lock could be back breaking, but she would have been amazing in my sidisi whip deck,

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's still an extremely powerful card. It's almost a one card soft lock.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

With delve a Lilly lock could be back breaking, but she would have been amazing in my sidisi whip deck,

poo poo, managed to forget Delve. Managed to not get paired against whip yet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

U/B Control would adore Lilly Veils

It would let you pitch excess lands and then you also get dig fuel all from a +1

Or you can be the shitter who makes the turn 4 Lilly Thoughtseize play on an empty board.

Make 'em sad.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Alris posted:

Good luck buddy! Let us know how you do!

I died. My friend mason locked top 8 though, beating hoogland with a hilarious blowout

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

They almost reprinted LotV in M15 but thought it would make mono-black too powerful (for Super Standard they were definitely right, probably also right for current Standard)

I know. That's why I'm hoping it'll be in M16. I got to live the turn2 Lili dream last night against an empty board. It ended up being something like a 6-for-2.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Dark Confidant is probably the best of these. Drawing an extra card every turn for a bunch of life? That sounds terrible! :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Count Bleck posted:

U/B Control would adore Lilly Veils

It would let you pitch excess lands and then you also get dig fuel all from a +1

Or you can be the shitter who makes the turn 4 Lilly Thoughtseize play on an empty board.

Make 'em sad.

LotV's +1 being available in any of the Whip builds would basically be pure upside. I feel like those decks would become completely dominant with her.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

I know. That's why I'm hoping it'll be in M16. I got to live the turn2 Lili dream last night against an empty board. It ended up being something like a 6-for-2.

Dark Confidant is probably the best of these. Drawing an extra card every turn for a bunch of life? That sounds terrible! :v:
I don't disagree, but even after seeing Bob in action its still harder for people to realize how good he is. You sit across from a bob and lose with your opponent at 2 life and its easy to remark how close the game was, how you almost had them, and how much their bob helped you. Being across from a lili is just complete misery and you feel so hopeless.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I literally just had that happen in Cube. I was dying to a Bitterblossom, and my own Bob was hurting me....but the extra card draw let me negate that drawback! I won by reanimating Disciple of Bolas, sacrificing my Duplicant that had previously exiled a Wurmcoil Engine...gain 6 draw 6. One of those six drawn cards was Recurring Nightmare, which let me sacrifice Bob to stop losing life (not a big deal now that I had a refilled hand) to get Duplicant back again.

It's been a fun deck. I love abusing Recurring Nightmare circles with ETB effects and Persist creatures. But the point was I pulled that off at 4 life with 6 power in the air across the board and my opponent was pretty pissy about it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

I find it a lot less likely they'd do it with a probable Modern Masters 2 around the corner.

And yeah, Lili would have been obnoxious in Standard because while mono-black isn't super amazing, most of the competitive archetypes are already black and she'd slot in great with her CMC.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I find it a lot less likely they'd do it with a probable Modern Masters 2 around the corner.

And yeah, Lili would have been obnoxious in Standard because while mono-black isn't super amazing, most of the competitive archetypes are already black and she'd slot in great with her CMC.

Hell if LOTV was legal, we might still see mono-b devotion strategies running around.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Hell if LOTV was legal, we might still see mono-b devotion strategies running around.

It'd probably be more of a control shell with Gray Merchant and Squelching Leeches as finishers.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

So... exactly what he said then?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Wadjamaloo posted:

I don't disagree, but even after seeing Bob in action its still harder for people to realize how good he is. You sit across from a bob and lose with your opponent at 2 life and its easy to remark how close the game was, how you almost had them, and how much their bob helped you. Being across from a lili is just complete misery and you feel so hopeless.

This just makes Bob even better as a litmus test because thinking this game is "close" and that an opponent's Bob helped you is still a tenderfoot move :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

So... exactly what he said then?

I didn't see Squelching Leeches mentioned once in his comment, actually!

Maybe it's in really really small text!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

Goons, I am having trouble what standard deck to run, I have a PPTQ I am going to next week and there are so many options that I don't know what to play.

Rabble Red
Mardu Midrange

I have no idea what the meta is there so I will going in completely cold and would like some goon opinions of people who know standard much better than me, what do you think guys? (I am much more of a limited player)

There is a RW Aggro list that BBD posted on star city that looks good...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hopping Ghost posted:

This just makes Bob even better as a litmus test because thinking this game is "close" and that an opponent's Bob helped you is still a tenderfoot move :v:

Bob only helps you win if you win the game. Otherwise he was probably the reason you lost.

This applies to both sides of the table. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

Rabble Red
Mardu Midrange

Go with Jeskai Tokens. I still don't think enough people have respect for the insanity that is consistent turn 5 kills from a flurry of 5/5+ tokens.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Go with Jeskai Tokens. I still don't think enough people have respect for the insanity that is consistent turn 5 kills from a flurry of 5/5+ tokens.

Do you happen to have Brad Nelson's list available? I just saw him take down the Mardu deck with 40 life in 2 turns and it was beautiful.

Found it!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Just realize that everyone is going to be bringing Jeskai Tokens hate...

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Jeskai and Jeskai tokens are suddenly the only decks i see online, it's really annoying

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Tonetta posted:

What was your brew?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Went 5-4 in Portland with mardu aggro, but I got deck checked in match 1 and again in match 9. Nothing came of it either time. They're totally random, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

Went 5-4 in Portland with mardu aggro, but I got deck checked in match 1 and again in match 9. Nothing came of it either time. They're totally random, right?

Round 1 deck checks? Weiiiird. I've never done one or seen one done in eight years of judging. They usually don't even have decklists sorted before the end of the first round.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They both happened after game 1 of the match, as we were presenting decks.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
England are in the top 8! :stare: :toot:

England are seeded second, some-bloody-how! :confuoot: :britain:

That means they face Brazil! :suicide:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I've been playing Duels 2015 and wow this game is memory hungry. Its getting to the point where its almost unplayable. Is this just me?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

World Cup Top 8 is starting.

USA already kicked Slovak's rear end in Constructed yesterday. They just need to do it one more time.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Baeckstrom looks like he's about to collapse asleep on the match table.

E: England already 1-0 over Brazil? How badly are we cheating?

And apparently Denmark wrecked the Serbians.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 7, 2014

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Denmark into the top 4 with a 2-0 over Serbia

edit - Baeckstrom steals a win and puts USA up 1-0

and England just advanced to the top 4!

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 7, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Omnikin posted:

and England just advanced to the top 4!

I maintain that we're cheating. 2-0 vs Brazil was basically the result I wouldn't have believed coming out of these quarterfinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

USA! USA! USA!

Edit: Semis are England v Denmark, USA v Greece.

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread