Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

i thought it felt faster, honestly. could just be me though.

also insanely happy for usfiv on ps4. i guess the cross-play with PC is what killed an xbone version, since MS is against doung ig for other games.

After seeing how well the PC/PS3 cross-play worked in FF14, MS can really go eat poo poo for being against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Reminded me a bunch like how SFXT plays.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Is it too much to ask for them to put parries back in the game? :sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want parries back.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

FiftySeven posted:

Why would you want this?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

FiftySeven posted:

This. 1000 times this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Double Bill posted:

After seeing how well the PC/PS3 cross-play worked in FF14, MS can really go eat poo poo for being against it.

seriously. ffxiv is perfect in its console/pc connections.

it'll be really awesome to have a single online community instead of 3.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

FiftySeven posted:

Zand posted:

This. 1000 times this.

fukken third strike junkies who can't move on from the past

cross platform is very nice to hear, maybe they will actually release PC at the same time????

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

jebeebus posted:

cross platform is very nice to hear, maybe they will actually release PC at the same time????

I liked parrying cause it helped you not only build meter but give you a good counterstrike if you knew what you were doing. Or figured out the opponents gameplan. The parry, in my opinion just adds another level of excitement to the game. If you choose to parry instead of block and your timing is off, you not only will eat some damage, but the momentum might swing in the match because you weren't on your game. I saw a cat literally move the crowd by parrying Ken's EX mid-air hurricane kick. He lost the match, but he moved the crowd and got a few phone numbers from some females who were watching the match. Now, I know he's got to love the parry

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Parries get you pussy, the argument is sound.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

jebeebus posted:

Why would we? Its pretty much perfect Street fighter.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

FiftySeven posted:

Why would we? Its pretty much perfect Street fighter.

Except it's not?

Zand posted:

I liked parrying cause it helped you not only build meter but give you a good counterstrike if you knew what you were doing. Or figured out the opponents gameplan. The parry, in my opinion just adds another level of excitement to the game. If you choose to parry instead of block and your timing is off, you not only will eat some damage, but the momentum might swing in the match because you weren't on your game. I saw a cat literally move the crowd by parrying Ken's EX mid-air hurricane kick. He lost the match, but he moved the crowd and got a few phone numbers from some females who were watching the match. Now, I know he's got to love the parry

But I thought Hyper Fighting was the pinnacle of the genre?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Then play 3s and stop wishing dumb mechanics on new fighting games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

They even gave you people a remake so you could play 3S and not bother anyone. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

So SFV isn't a timed exclusive, right? They confirmed that it's not coming to XBone?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Its not a bad thing to want the new fighting games to be better that a half arsed rehash of IV. They could be a half arsed rehash of 3S instead which would be better.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Except it's not?

But it is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So SFV isn't a timed exclusive, right? They confirmed that it's not coming to XBone?

sony is funding it so its never coming to the bone in any form

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Sony is bankrolling SFV so expect playable Nathan Drake is the PS4 version.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

FiftySeven posted:

Its not a bad thing to want the new fighting games to be better that a half arsed rehash of IV.

Ugh, please stop doing this. This game was officially announced today, and probably won't be out until Spring 2016 at the earliest. We saw literally a minute and a half of edited gameplay, we have no idea about anything yet. Give the fuckin' thing a chance, Jesus

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
For a second there I thought you all wanted Alpha counters back and I got happy.

If ya'll wanna be Daigo then go play 3S, I heard people still play that.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Ugh, please stop doing this. This game was officially announced today, and probably won't be out until Spring 2016 at the earliest. We saw literally a minute and a half of edited gameplay, we have no idea about anything yet. Give the fuckin' thing a chance, Jesus

Hang on a tick, dont get me wrong, it probably will be fine. I enjoyed the hell out of SF IV in its various incarnations. I just always like the parrying mechanic and felt it was a shame that they didnt put it back in as it added a lot of depth to the game. Focus attacks always seemed like a poor mans version to me but its better than nothing. I am sure that V will be absolutely great in any case.

What this guy said really.
VVVVVVVV

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 7, 2014

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Except it's not?

But I thought Hyper Fighting was the pinnacle of the genre?

Some would say that. I love parrying...it's fun. It brings a different mind set to a game that people have been playing for ages. Even if it isn't quite as strategic as just putting the right situations together ala old school SF it's still strategy and the top players are still able to make the best use of it. I personally think that parrying systems add a lot more depth to the games. And it also allows for even more strategies and variations in play styles. A turtler for example, no longer has to be content with quick pokes and blocks. His defense (with parrying) can instead become an offense in a way.

I don't see where complaints against the system would really come in, unless someone just hasn't taken the time to attempt to master the timing behind it. I never really saw a situation where gameplay is ever limited by parrying, and only see it as being an enhancement.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

when dimps demonstrate any kind of understanding of what the gently caress they are doing i will give their games a chance before preemptively declaring that they suck

until then, sf5 is gonna suck

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
give the game made by developers that didnt fix the movement of hitboxes being tied to models across fuckin 6 or however many versions a chance guys!

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Zand posted:

Some would say that. I love parrying...it's fun. It brings a different mind set to a game that people have been playing for ages. Even if it isn't quite as strategic as just putting the right situations together ala old school SF it's still strategy and the top players are still able to make the best use of it. I personally think that parrying systems add a lot more depth to the games. And it also allows for even more strategies and variations in play styles. A turtler for example, no longer has to be content with quick pokes and blocks. His defense (with parrying) can instead become an offense in a way.

I don't see where complaints against the system would really come in, unless someone just hasn't taken the time to attempt to master the timing behind it. I never really saw a situation where gameplay is ever limited by parrying, and only see it as being an enhancement.

Parries are cool, and 3S is still easily accessible and played to this day. Let Street Fighter 5 be its own thing, for better or worse.

Spermgod posted:

when dimps demonstrate any kind of understanding of what the gently caress they are doing i will give their games a chance before preemptively declaring that they suck

They know exactly what they are doing. They're making Darkstalkers 4, but calling it Street Fighter 5. P smart imo

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
lol why are you still responding to Zand seriously

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Brosnan posted:

lol why are you still responding to Zand seriously

Because contained within Zand are multitudes, and because a man of his opinions and insights deserves to be taken, and responded to, seriously.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ono talkin' SF5. We're gonna see more at Capcom Cup next week.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Spermgod posted:

give the game made by developers that didnt fix the movement of hitboxes being tied to models across fuckin 6 or however many versions a chance guys!

One last thought for now:

Why is it that our community thinks it knows better than people who spend years thinking about and developing these games we love? Do you seriously think you know better/more than a team of developers who spend at minimum 40 hours a week (and in actuality somewhere between 60-100 hours a week) for years, developing a game? Do you believe, for example, that the guys who made Marvel 3 didn't know about Morri/Doom before Chris G immortalized it?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Why is it that our community thinks it knows better than people who spend years thinking about and developing these games we love? Do you seriously think you know better/more than a team of developers who spend at minimum 40 hours a week (and in actuality somewhere between 60-100 hours a week) for years, developing a game? Do you believe, for example, that the guys who made Marvel 3 didn't know about Morri/Doom before Chris G immortalized it?

You are so delusional lmao

edit: or trolling. i really cant tell at this point

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

reminder that jesuslovesronwell knows nothing about game dev bc this was the guy who couldn't possibly believe that artists would use references for moves

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Reminder that marvel vs capcom 2 was completely thrown together by the developers and it turned out to be accidentally really loving great competitively

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Seriously? Think about the addition of Delayed Wakeup. Capcom threw this in because vortex play was way too strong. Capcom designed the system, then players exploited it and Capcom had to nerf it. This sorta poo poo is common in like, every FG. A group of devs design a system and some characters for it and players get a hold of it and unforeseen things happen. poo poo, it happens with every goddamn game that has any sort of competitive element.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Seth Killian had to beg them to put hitboxes in SF4.

And no, even if they had a small test team of godlike players (which is what Namco does with Tekken) it's just not possible for a few people to figure out what the thousands of people figure out once the game is released.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 7, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can't think of a game that never had any unforeseen consequences of developer choices come up after release.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Zand posted:

You are so delusional lmao

edit: or trolling. i really cant tell at this point

Perhaps a bit of both. Or maybe it's just I say tomato you say birds.

Nativity In Black posted:

Seriously? Think about the addition of Delayed Wakeup. Capcom threw this in because vortex play was way too strong. Capcom designed the system, then players exploited it and Capcom had to nerf it. This sorta poo poo is common in like, every FG. A group of devs design a system and some characters for it and players get a hold of it and unforeseen things happen. poo poo, it happens with every goddamn game that has any sort of competitive element.

Yes but hindsight is always 20/20 and a team of, say ~100 people, can't foresee every possible outcome in a game with so many moving parts, when compared to an obsessive community of tens of thousands of players. So you think Dimps didn't know about Ibuki vortex for example? It's not that vortex is too strong (it isn't) it's that less skilled/inventive players bitch about it until it becomes an issue, so Capcom has to address it. I'm not saying Dimps/Capcom are perfect, not by any stretch, but to think you know better than them strikes me as pretty arrogant to say the least.

Re. Marvel 2, again, do you think the developers didn't know about stuff like fly/unfly for example? Come on.

interrodactyl posted:

reminder that jesuslovesronwell knows nothing about game dev bc this was the guy who couldn't possibly believe that artists would use references for moves

You know, you should go back and reread those posts, or find them and post them all here, because that's not what I said at all.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Are you the type of guy who argues just for the sake of arguing?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Yes but hindsight is always 20/20 and a team of, say ~100 people, can't foresee every possible outcome in a game with so many moving parts, when compared to an obsessive community of tens of thousands of players. So you think Dimps didn't know about Ibuki vortex for example? It's not that vortex is too strong (it isn't) it's that less skilled/inventive players bitch about it until it becomes an issue, so Capcom has to address it. I'm not saying Dimps/Capcom are perfect, not by any stretch, but to think you know better than them strikes me as pretty arrogant to say the least.

Re. Marvel 2, again, do you think the developers didn't know about stuff like fly/unfly for example? Come on.

reminder that jesuslovesronwell knows nothing about gamedev because of this post lmfao

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

General Morden posted:

Are you the type of guy who argues just for the sake of arguing?

Maybe a little...

interrodactyl posted:

reminder that jesuslovesronwell knows nothing about gamedev because of this post lmfao

Reminder that interrodactyl is a scrub and bad at... well pretty much everything (j/k, love your dumbass)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Every mainline Street Fighter past 1 is good and there's something wrong with you if you don't enjoy all 3, albeit for different reasons.

Are the Alpha games actually good? I know absolutely nothing about them.

• Locked thread