Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Americans know precisely what they want from their government: They want Democrats. Not all Americans know how to express their desires, so its the job of the Democratic Party to advance the structure of operations most likely to get Democrats to realize they're Americans and should go vote.

Americans are consistent with what they want; they are inconsistent with how they focus on obtaining what they want. They don't want to moderate the branches of government, they want Democratic supermajorities crafting policy and are willing to accept a Republican executive every few cycles in exchange.

Yes, if only the Democrats had better messaging, all Americans would get out and vote them into supermajorities every election. :allears:

My Imaginary GF posted:

You need me to explaining anything else about the proper way to run a country as a well-oiled political machine?

This is a rhetorical question and you know it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Caligula and Nero were quite decent emperors and the most apt comparisons to Obama. The histories have them as horrid brutes mainly because the histories were written by the entrenched nobility who felt most hosed over by Caligula and Nero's public policies.

Eh, I think we're done here Rahm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

My Imaginary GF posted:

Caligula and Nero were quite decent emperors and the most apt comparisons to Obama. The histories have them as horrid brutes mainly because the histories were written by the entrenched nobility who felt most hosed over by Caligula and Nero's public policies, whereas the great majority of Roman citizens were experiencing the greatest opportunities for class advancement in their life.

You're missing my point (and, yeah, Nero was a much better emperor than he gets credit for, but Caligula... eh) It was a rhetorical example. (I did say "even if")

You said:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its loving easy to say, "See! I was right!" when you don't consider all the ways folks'll gently caress up what you did after. Its not enough to win; you have to win in a sustainable manner that isn't reliant upon you, the individual, retaining your leadership position.

If you design a method for winning so easily broken, you've done worse than nothing.

If leader A does a good job, leader A does a good job. If Leader A is succeeded by Leader B, and Leader B does a bad job and ruins A's good work, it doesn't make A a failure.

Therefore, Dean was a good DNC chair regardless of what Schultz has done or will do.

The 50 state strategy cost no more than the traditional "focus on big purples" strategy-- like both parties don't blow their entire warchest each election-- and it actually probably would have cost less in the long term. Think of it like a garden: you tend to state parties enough for them to grow strong, while the candidates develop better and better incumbent advantage. Eventually, you'll have local favorites who've successfully survived waves, and the state starts turning blue.
In the meantime, Republicans will have to fight you all over the place, which takes away money from the big races and increases the chances of Republicans creating loonies that dominate the news cycles with crazy comments, poisoning the well for others-- somewhat like in 2010, but to a greater extent.
It's not like you need to conserve the 50 state strategy to be used as a surprise. It will work whether or not they know it's coming.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Caligula and Nero were quite decent emperors and the most apt comparisons to Obama. The histories have them as horrid brutes mainly because the histories were written by the entrenched nobility who felt most hosed over by Caligula and Nero's public policies, whereas the great majority of Roman citizens were experiencing the greatest opportunities for class advancement in their life.

While you may have had a (bad) argument with regards to Nero I guess we can nevertheless add "history of the Roman Empire" to the long and ever-growing list of poo poo about which MIGF is staggeringly ignorant.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Didn't the 50-state strategy just end up electing a bunch of Blue Dogs who lost re-election by not opposing Obama hard enough? It doesn't seem like the people who want the 50-state strategy to come back are very thrilled with the Joe Manchins of the world but that's what expanding the map is going to get you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nameless_Steve posted:

Eventually, you'll have local favorites who've successfully survived waves, and the state starts turning blue.

That isn't how states turn colors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Didn't the 50-state strategy just end up electing a bunch of Blue Dogs who lost re-election by not opposing Obama hard enough? It doesn't seem like the people who want the 50-state strategy to come back are very thrilled with the Joe Manchins of the world but that's what expanding the map is going to get you.

Keeping seats warm while maintaining a democrat majority leader in the Senate and a democrat Speaker in the house is all they really needed to do.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

That isn't how states turn colors.
Oh, right, it's usually due to demographic shifts, but there are other reasons and every bit helps.

Debates, speeches, and public appearances do affect people's opinions. Plenty of conservatives in this country have never met or heard a real, live, persuasive liberal. That's part of the problem. Maybe we can change minds a few opinions at a time, or at least get conservatives to understand and respectfully disagree with us.

For example, you can't say the Kennedys' presence wasn't at least partially to credit for why Massachusetts turned into one of the bluest states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nameless_Steve posted:

For example, you can't say the Kennedys' presence wasn't at least partially to credit for why Massachusetts turned into one of the bluest states.

At the state level they're not.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Didn't a lot of those Blue Dogs work as hard as they could to not be associated with Obama? At the end of the day people will ultimately vote for a Red Republican than a Red Democrat.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Didn't a lot of those Blue Dogs work as hard as they could to not be associated with Obama? At the end of the day people will ultimately vote for a Red Republican than a Red Democrat.

Nothing says Blue Dog failure to me more than Grimes. She had a tough uphill fight against McConnell for sure, but she was stillborn because she was such a coward who spend most of her time acting like "did you vote for Obama" was some kind of wild and inappropriate question.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd rather have a Republican than a Blue Dog since you know the Republican is going to gently caress you and they might have to actually take the blame for it. With Blue Dogs you can't count on them to not quit in exchange for a job offer from the opposition leaving a Republican majority after you voted them in, to support Reagan's lovely tax policy and then give the Democratic congress the blame for when it fails, or to gently caress over minorities in general. Blue Dogs are worthless and the sooner they all run to the Republican party they desperately want to be a part of the better.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
So you guys would've rather the Dems not win majorities during Dean's two cycles as DNC chairman if the choice was between a Blue Dog and a Republican? Hmm okay. I mean, like I've said several times, the Dems are worthless anyway.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A lot of those people had been around for many years prior, at least in the south. Most of the 2006-08 class was taken from moderate Republicans with some exceptions. Also, there were liberals that got slaughtered in reddish districts as well, idiots like Alan Grayson as well as inoffensive ones whose names you'll never recall.

It wasn't the candidate so much as it was the district. And now those districts are sewn up due to redistricting.

But if you can figure out a Dem majority path that doesn't require a Joe Manchin or two, I'll bet you can make a lot of money.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While you may have had a (bad) argument with regards to Nero I guess we can nevertheless add "history of the Roman Empire" to the long and ever-growing list of poo poo about which MIGF is staggeringly ignorant.

Were their policies good for the empire in the long run? No, but I imagine that both Caligula and Nero were quite popular among the commoners of Rome given how much money they spent on them.

Imagine if in the future, the only historical record we had about Obama came from Rush transcripts and WaPo editorials, this is essentially the problem with the historical records of Rome, our sources are almost entirely the elite's point of view.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Honestly? They both ended up unhinged monsters as their reigns went on, but that's pretty much roman_emperor.txt. True, Roman history is always willing to poo poo all over people on the losing side of conflicts---but even giving them that, the two of them combined were pretty loving nutty. (I can't remember if it was Caligula or Nero that had regular conversations with statues---not the "hey zeus what's up" variety but the "yes YES KILL THEM ALL OF COURSE" variety.

Still, it's the senate where all the day-to-day heavy lifting was done, and we don't have too many records of minutia like that unless someone said something particularly clever. it was Cicero So IMO, it's hard to judge how much impact either had on day to day life unless they directly ordered soldiers to physically take wealth and distribute it to the proletariat. Which... they may have done, come to think of, but that's neither here nor there.

On the other hand, this

My Imaginary GF posted:

Caligula and Nero were quite decent emperors and the most apt comparisons to Obama.

is what finally made me appreciate MIGF. :allears:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

computer parts posted:

Really just for the governor, though. The legislature is overwhelmingly democratic

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Uh I'll have you know that migf wrote for 3 newspapers in 2nd century Rome, he's sort of an expert here.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

So you guys would've rather the Dems not win majorities during Dean's two cycles as DNC chairman if the choice was between a Blue Dog and a Republican? Hmm okay. I mean, like I've said several times, the Dems are worthless anyway.

Problem is if you can't control them you dilute your message and look like a fractured party. The republicans are having a similar problem with the tea party contributing to several losses where republicans should have won.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah Cicero was pretty much one of the most contemptible people in history. He's right up there with Franklin Pierce

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

The Democrats have an overwhelming supermajority in both legislative chambers. The senate is 36-4, and the house is 128-32. That is pretty overwhelmingly Democratic, Coakley pratfalls aside. Basically the new Republican governor can't even veto a bill credibly unless it massively split the Dem caucus.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think he meant that the Kennedy's weren't responsible for killing Republicanism in that state. I dunno if they are or not, I never studied Mass state politics but am liable to bet that its demographics at work again instead of a political family.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I registered in 2003 hoping to vote for Howard Dean and probably still would

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Honestly? They both ended up unhinged monsters as their reigns went on, but that's pretty much roman_emperor.txt. True, Roman history is always willing to poo poo all over people on the losing side of conflicts---but even giving them that, the two of them combined were pretty loving nutty. (I can't remember if it was Caligula or Nero that had regular conversations with statues---not the "hey zeus what's up" variety but the "yes YES KILL THEM ALL OF COURSE" variety.

Still, it's the senate where all the day-to-day heavy lifting was done, and we don't have too many records of minutia like that unless someone said something particularly clever. it was Cicero So IMO, it's hard to judge how much impact either had on day to day life unless they directly ordered soldiers to physically take wealth and distribute it to the proletariat. Which... they may have done, come to think of, but that's neither here nor there.

Nero was mostly just too young for the job, too concerned with his sweet lyre solo jam sessions, theatre, consorting with commoners, and generally being the most powerful teenager in Europe. He wasn't crazy and seems to have genuinely cared for the people since he rebuilt large sections of Rome after the famous fire from the imperial treasury.

Caligula was fine for the first year or two and then he came down with meningitis or something along those lines and lost his sanity. Neither of them were really the gleeful, power-mad kind of crazy that has been attached to them in the popular mind. Well, Caligula sort of was but not because of an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of thing.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Dec 6, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Jazerus posted:

Nero was mostly just too young for the job, too concerned with his sweet lyre solo jam sessions, theatre, consorting with commoners, and generally being the most powerful teenager in Europe. He wasn't crazy and seems to have genuinely cared for the people since he rebuilt large sections of Rome after the famous fire from the imperial treasury.

Caligula was fine for the first year or two and then he came down with meningitis or something along those lines and lost his sanity. Neither of them were really the gleeful, power-mad kind of crazy that has been attached to them in the popular mind. Well, Caligula sort of was but not because of an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of thing.

Isn't it possible that they might have been, but most of our sources were from the senatorial classes that both men shat on from a great height?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

TheBalor posted:

Isn't it possible that they might have been, but most of our sources were from the senatorial classes that both men shat on from a great height?

It's 'possible', in the same sense that it's possible that a UFO really did crash in Roswell with a subsequent government cover-up.

Not every source that we have regarding the (admittedly very fragmented & faded) history of Rome is from connected Roman officials. A lot of it is from overseas visitors to the city, foreign governments, personal journal entries from random people educated enough to write, etc. Believe it or not, you are not the only person to have considered the possibility that certain actors in Rome would write biased opinions / distorted histories; the professional historians & archaeologists who study this sort of thing for a living are aware of this.

If Caligula was acting like a totally normal person during the worst years of his reign, it's very strange that he had next to no supporters, and that every account from everyone we could find - including, again, foreigners with no direct interest in Roman politics - talked about how loving batshit crazy he was.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

evilweasel posted:

The Democrats have an overwhelming supermajority in both legislative chambers. The senate is 36-4, and the house is 128-32. That is pretty overwhelmingly Democratic, Coakley pratfalls aside. Basically the new Republican governor can't even veto a bill credibly unless it massively split the Dem caucus.

drat what are we doing wrong in Connecticut. I mean yeah on one hand we re-elected our Democratic governor, but on the other Dems have in the past 3 elections consistently had their majority chipped away at. After 2008 they had a super majority in both houses. Come January it will be 21-16 in the Senate and 87-64 in the House.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amused to Death posted:

drat what are we doing wrong in Connecticut. I mean yeah on one hand we re-elected our Democratic governor, but on the other Dems have in the past 3 elections consistently had their majority chipped away at. After 2008 they had a super majority in both houses. Come January it will be 21-16 in the Senate and 87-64 in the House.

Have Mitt Romney campaign for the Republican candidates, that's what got the Mass. democrats get such a huge supermajority.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not that this is a surprise, but the AP has called Louisiana for Cassidy, 54-46.

:rip: White, Southern Democrats.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Not that this is a surprise, but the AP has called Louisiana for Cassidy, 54-46.

:rip: White, Southern Democrats.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I didn't even know they were having the election today, that's how much faith I had in Landrieu even making it remotely competitive. So what is the Senate at, 55-45?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

I didn't even know they were having the election today, that's how much faith I had in Landrieu even making it remotely competitive. So what is the Senate at, 55-45?

54-46. It would have been 55-45 if Gillespie had managed to make all the Beltway insiders' wet dreams come true.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Landrieu only losing by 12 should be seen as a moral victory. It wasn't even the biggest loss by a sitting Senator this year!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So Boxer's retiring

quote:

A parade of ambitious California public figures, who’ve spent years itching for a shot at the state’s top political offices, are anticipating a shake-up of the state’s political hierarchy that could begin in a matter of weeks with the possible retirement of Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer. And some big names — including the mayor of Los Angeles — are already sizing up possible bids to succeed her.

Sources close to Boxer, 74, say the outspoken liberal senator will decide over the holidays whether to seek reelection in 2016 and will announce her plans shortly after the new year. Few of her friends believe she will run for a fifth term. Boxer has stopped raising money and is not taking steps to assemble a campaign. With Republicans taking over the Senate, she is about to relinquish her chairmanship of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

If she were to step aside, it would be the first big crack in the state’s upper political ranks in years. The last time the governorship was open was in 2010, when Jerry Brown, now 76, romped in a return to the job he first held more than three decades earlier. Boxer and California’s other senator, Democrat Dianne Feinstein, 81, were elected in 1992.

For a backlog of up-and-coming pols, their opportunity may finally be arriving — and it will be very hard to to pass up.

“There has been a bottleneck at the top,” said Mitchell Schwartz, a Democratic strategist who was Barack Obama’s California campaign director in 2008. “In a state of 37 million-plus [population] … elected officials either need to move up or they are out of the game and forgotten quickly.”

Democrat Eric Garcetti, the 43-year-old Los Angeles mayor, has had preliminary conversations about a possible campaign with Bill Carrick, a veteran political strategist in the state, according to one source. Carrick, who has served as Feinstein’s political adviser and helped guide Garcetti’s 2013 mayoral campaign, didn’t respond to a request for comment. A Garcetti spokesman, Jeff Millman, declined to address the discussions, saying only that the mayor “hopes and expects Senator Boxer will continue her strong leadership in the Senate.”

Others are being encouraged by supporters. At a New York City dinner last week sponsored by the League of Conservation Voters, liberal activists pressed Tom Steyer, the billionaire hedge-fund manager and environmentalist from San Francisco, to consider a bid. Steyer, who poured over $70 million into this year’s midterm election, gave a coy nonanswer in response, according to one person familiar with the exchange.

Most of the attention, though, is expected to center on a pair of rising stars: state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 50, and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, 47, both Democrats. For years, politicos have buzzed about a potential showdown between the two. Both hail from Northern California and rose through the ranks at the same time. They even share the same campaign consultant: Averell “Ace” Smith, a longtime Hillary Clinton adviser and top political hand in the state. In November, Harris and Newsom were easily reelected.

But as anticipation of a Boxer retirement has grown, the two have gone out of their way in recent months to tamp down talk of a rivalry. In September, they held their first-ever joint fundraiser at a San Francisco restaurant, where they lavished praise on each other.

Many Democrats believe that either Harris or Newsom might run for Boxer’s seat, but not both, recognizing that a bitter primary could leave them damaged. One of them is likely to wait until 2018, when Brown will be termed out of office and Feinstein might step aside. Newsom, who waged a short-lived primary campaign for governor against Brown in 2009, has been open about wanting to run again for the top job.

“They aren’t going to tear each other up,” said Joe Cotchett, a prominent Northern California trial attorney who counts Harris and Newsom as friends.“I don’t know anyone that thinks they’re going to run against each other. … They’ll work something out.”

Boxer’s office declined to comment on the jockeying for her seat, or, for that matter, on her future plans. A spokesman, Zachary Coile, pointed to Boxer’s previous statements that she would announce her plans early next year. Boxer’s lack of fundraising — she has just $150,000 in her campaign account, a fraction of the $3.5 million she had at this point before her most recent campaign — has fueled the speculation that she will leave the Senate.

What is a near-certainty is that Democrats will keep the seat. Republicans have been shut out of every statewide office and lack a bench of strong candidates. In 2010, Republican Carly Fiorina, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, lost to Boxer by 10 percentage points. The same year, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman spent $144 million as the Republican nominee for governor and lost to Brown by 13 points.

With their quasi-celebrity status, statewide name ID and deep fundraising connections, either Harris or Newsom would enter the race as the front-runner, handicappers say. But with a prize as rare as a California Senate seat in play, it’s assured that a long line of other Democrats in the liberal-friendly state would be in the running, too.

Since Harris and Newsom are both from the Bay Area, it could create an opening for someone from the much more population-rich southern part of the state. Former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is often mentioned as a potential candidate, as is his successor, Garcetti.

Other possible candidates include Rep. Jackie Speier, incoming California Secretary of State Alex Padilla and John Chiang, the outgoing state controller.

Some in the state are even buzzing about the possibility that Sheryl Sandberg, the Facebook chief executive and women’s advocate, might also jump in. A source close to her, however, said she “isn’t interested.”

As for Steyer, the wealthy environmentalist’s political consultant, Chris Lehane, wouldn’t say one way or the other.

“Tom has consistently said that he will consider the best ways to have the biggest impact,” Lehane wrote in an email.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/california-quake-113380.html#ixzz3LKvQ6gJf

First off, Harris looks way younger than 50, but I'd tentatively support her or Chiang I guess.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So Boxer's retiring

First off, Harris looks way younger than 50, but I'd tentatively support her or Chiang I guess.

I hope it's her rather than Gavin, he comes off a more palatable MIGF.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Damnit, why couldn't it be the other California senator.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Amused to Death posted:

Damnit, why couldn't it be the other California senator.

Feinstein isn't running again either, but her term isn't up until 2018.

Also what is wrong with Gavin? He was a fairly accomplished and liberal Mayor and has been doing a good job keeping the seat warm as the LG. He has kind of the same problem as T-Mac in that he turns some people off because he just comes off slimy and a little too polished even though he's perfectly fine. He and Harris are like 99.8% aligned on issues though. Here's a good clip of him on Bill Maher (the whole episode is a better reflection of him, but HBO only makes overtime public).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vft65rz24R0

Garcetti, Harris, Newsom, and Chiang would all be very solid Senators. Steyer is useless, but maybe he would channel his zeal into something worthwhile in the Senate other than pissing away a lot of money on ineffective TV ads and being smug.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Dec 8, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Personally I'd rather Gavin stick around and run for governor when jerry brown retires/dies, I don't think Harris would do as well running for governor.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
poo poo. How competent is the California GOP?

Harris might as well run--she's never going to get that SCOTUS appointment everyone thinks she should get.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

poo poo. How competent is the California GOP?

If it's anything, after the full results were in it's turned out that the GOP hasn't unseated an incumbent Democratic congressman since 1994. Kashkari was also a complete assclown of a candidate and went down in a landslide, even with very reduced turnout (though Brown did significantly better amongst white Californians than Obama did two years ago).

If anything Boxer was looking vulnerable for a while in 2010 against HP vulture CEO Fiorina, but she pulled through in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If it's anything, after the full results were in it's turned out that the GOP hasn't unseated an incumbent Democratic congressman since 1994. Kashkari was also a complete assclown of a candidate and went down in a landslide, even with very reduced turnout (though Brown did significantly better amongst white Californians than Obama did two years ago).

If anything Boxer was looking vulnerable for a while in 2010 against HP vulture CEO Fiorina, but she pulled through in the end.

So they're even less competent than the MA GOP, who at least just got a Republican governor elected (thanks, Martha Coakley!)

I just realized--I think 2016 will be the first time in like 8 years where Massachusetts has not had a Senate seat up for grabs (unless you're not counting this year when Ed Markey won in a walk).

• Locked thread